There are 137 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
ok you kneel 3 times and your kicker shanks it, now what happens?

Or you give the ball back to the Pats with a 10 point lead and 3 ish minutes left. Are you likely to win in that scenario? Of course. Is it a lock? Definitely not.

Genus nailed this when he said this argument boils down to effectively choosing to isolate one single play call as the reason for a loss, while ignoring not only the execution of the call but the quarter+ of defensive failures and other mistakes on offense.

The Falcons had half of a Super Bowl quality team… and Kyle was a major, if not the key, reason they had it.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Or you give the ball back to the Pats with a 10 point lead and 3 ish minutes left. Are you likely to win in that scenario? Of course. Is it a lock? Definitely not.

Genus nailed this when he said this argument boils down to effectively choosing to isolate one single play call as the reason for a loss, while ignoring not only the execution of the call but the quarter+ of defensive failures and other mistakes on offense.

The Falcons had half of a Super Bowl quality team… and Kyle was a major, if not the key, reason they had it.

i'd rather trust my stars, or what got me there. and a MVP QB season and an all time good WR defined that team, the QB has to know you can't eat a sack there

i saw ppl mention McCarthy, he had an all time choke job, when he got some marginal lead vs SEA, and decided to basically put Rodgers in the barn for an entire 2nd half. because of the score he declined to play offense, and essentially just bleed clock for 2 qtrs and lost. it was one of the most crap things i've ever witnessed in pro football and it allowed SEA to advance to a SB
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Julio just made an all time catch. That was it. His players did it. I think everyone watching thought it was over after that catch. Just kneel 3 times

Their kicker was Matt Bryant. I watched the dude nail a 62 yarder outdoors to win a game. This wasn't Jake Moody. His players did get him there, and Kyle asked for more. It backfired
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

jimmy g doesn't count as a QB. same with whoever came in for injured brock purdy in eagle game

i'd rather trust my stars, or what got me there. and a MVP QB season and an all time good WR defined that team, the QB has to know you can't eat a sack there

Basically, all Matt Ryan needed to do was not take the sack and they win.
Originally posted by RonnieLott:

It's not that easy. He got immediate pressure up the middle. Wasn't even able to get outside the pocket before they grabbed him. All Russell Wilson had to do was not throw an interception. Defenses make plays, that's why you run the ball when you don't have to pass
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on May 22, 2024 at 4:23 PM ]

It's not that easy. He got immediate pressure up the middle. Wasn't even able to get outside the pocket before they grabbed him. All Russell Wilson had to do was not throw an interception. Defenses make plays, that's why you run the ball when you don't have to pass

It's a bit different, Rusty Wilson had to make a play to win the game, Matt Ryan just had to throw the ball into the crowd or anywhere a defensive player wasn't.

Kyle should have implicitly schooled him on what to do, MVP or not.

Of all the losses in history, the Atlanta Falcons loss to the New England Patriots in that Superbowl is the most extraordinary.
Julio just made an all time catch. That was it. His players did it. I think everyone watching thought it was over after that catch. Just kneel 3 times

Their kicker was Matt Bryant. I watched the dude nail a 62 yarder outdoors to win a game. This wasn't Jake Moody. His players did get him there, and Kyle asked for more. It backfired

How many potential game winning/clinching FGs did you see him make in the SB?

Matt Ryan was league MVP that year and you apparently felt asking him not to take a bad sack is too much to ask for.

FYI kicks get blocked, especially longer ones. Bad snaps happen. Kyle saw what was happening with the Pats on offense and wanted to put the game out of range and asked his league MVP to make a play. He made a bad play worse.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

This is such a dumb tweet.

First of all Kyle as a HC has 4 losses in the playoffs.

And ironically the last loss his offense outscored KC in the 4th quarter.

Originally posted by RonnieLott:

If that's immediate pressure to you I'd love to know what you thought about the 3rd down play in OT for us. He had plenty of time to throw that ball away.

Defenses do make plays…except ours in OT apparently.
Field goals get blocked and if that happened in that Superbowl for Atlanta v New England, Matt Ryan and Kyle Shannahan would have zero accountability as they would have played the percentages correctly. Instead, they took a horrible sack that pushed them out of field goal range. Someone who has watched the NFL for five minutes knew it was the wrong play.

Marv Levy has no accountability in the Superbowl where Norwood missed the field goal for the Bills v the Giants. As a coach, he got them into a winning position which is all you can ask.

There is no correct answer. Just a game of working out percentages and hoping your players execute.

Kyle has been unlucky, but he has brought a lot of that bad luck on himself.

Thats as kind as you can be to him, given what has happened to Kyle in Superbowls.
We really need to kick ass in the KC game this season. Otherwise, this just is like a bad hex. Cause rn

49ers is to Seahawks
As KC is to 49ers

Oof this has to change!
Originally posted by genus49:
How many potential game winning/clinching FGs did you see him make in the SB?

Matt Ryan was league MVP that year and you apparently felt asking him not to take a bad sack is too much to ask for.

FYI kicks get blocked, especially longer ones. Bad snaps happen. Kyle saw what was happening with the Pats on offense and wanted to put the game out of range and asked his league MVP to make a play. He made a bad play worse.

His league MVP lol. Matt Ryan had a great year, Kyle still has to know his strengths. If he gets pressure up the A gap he's dead to rights, MVP and all. That's what happened and the play blew up

If Kyle makes the right calls and Matt Bryant somehow misses, he doesn't take this kind of heat. Do people blame Holmgren for Craig's fumble? No, because he was making the right call to run the ball
Originally posted by genus49:
If that's immediate pressure to you I'd love to know what you thought about the 3rd down play in OT for us. He had plenty of time to throw that ball away.

Defenses do make plays…except ours in OT apparently.

Well that 3rd down pressure is partly on Kyle for pulling the center for no reason, but that's another topic. Brock is cool under pressure. Matt Ryan is not. The guy played with 50 pound weights in his shoes. Brock's first read was also toward the sideline where he could just sail it. Matt was trying to read the middle of the field, and when pressure came right up the middle he panicked like Matt Ryan does. Bad play call
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on May 23, 2024 at 5:08 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone