There are 162 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by RonnieLott:
It's a bit different, Rusty Wilson had to make a play to win the game, Matt Ryan just had to throw the ball into the crowd or anywhere a defensive player wasn't.

Kyle should have implicitly schooled him on what to do, MVP or not.

Of all the losses in history, the Atlanta Falcons loss to the New England Patriots in that Superbowl is the most extraordinary.

He'd have to be outside the tackle box to just throw it anywhere. His best bet was quickly coming off his first read and sailing it out of bounds over the RBs head. Easier said than done for a guy like Matt Ryan with pressure in his face
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on May 23, 2024 at 5:16 AM ]
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by genus49:
If that's immediate pressure to you I'd love to know what you thought about the 3rd down play in OT for us. He had plenty of time to throw that ball away.

Defenses do make plays…except ours in OT apparently.

Well that 3rd down pressure is partly on Kyle for pulling the center for no reason, but that's another topic. Brock is cool under pressure. Matt Ryan is not. The guy played with 50 pound weights in his shoes. Brock's first read was also toward the sideline where he could just sail it. Matt was trying to read the middle of the field, and when pressure came right up the middle he panicked like Matt Ryan does. Bad play call

Stop embarrassing yourself man. I get it you watched some "Here is why Kyle sucks" videos and have it on repeat. Good for you.

Kyle pulling the center is for the run fake. Now if you want to play the "nobody really expects Kyle to run in that situation" card that's another story, although I would easily counter with the fact that 3rd and 4 can easily be a run in FG range with the possibility of a team going for it on 4th and short.

That also takes away from the very clear reason why there was pressure on that play and 2 players explained why, including the guy who went with his gut and didn't do what he was COACHED to do on the play.

The Center pulling has nothing to do with Burford not taking on Chris Jones.

But fine...let's ignore all that and get back to your idea that Kyle trusted Matt Ryan ALL year long. And now on that 2nd down, not 3rd or 4th down...2nd down. Kyle somehow should've known, if I call this pass here Matt will take a sack. Is that your logic?

If anything Ryan playing with those 50 lb weighted shoes as you put it should've made it an easier throw away. Play covered - throw it away to the sideline so you don't get a grounding call.

But once again let's blame the collapse of a 28-3 mid 3rd quarter lead on the OC because of a 2nd down call to pass the ball instead of running it after the 1st down run play got -1 yards.
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
Field goals get blocked and if that happened in that Superbowl for Atlanta v New England, Matt Ryan and Kyle Shannahan would have zero accountability as they would have played the percentages correctly. Instead, they took a horrible sack that pushed them out of field goal range. Someone who has watched the NFL for five minutes knew it was the wrong play.

Marv Levy has no accountability in the Superbowl where Norwood missed the field goal for the Bills v the Giants. As a coach, he got them into a winning position which is all you can ask.

There is no correct answer. Just a game of working out percentages and hoping your players execute.

Kyle has been unlucky, but he has brought a lot of that bad luck on himself.

Thats as kind as you can be to him, given what has happened to Kyle in Superbowls.

Levy was the HC. Kyle was not the HC.

If we're talking about that 2nd down in the Atlanta game then yes, Kyle f'd up. Ryan made it worse. Both get blame for that. My issue is it's absolutely bonkers to take that one playcall and claim Shanahan blew it for Atlanta. You don't lose a 28-3 3rd quarter lead on offense without having 3 defensive scores + 2pt conversions mixed in there.
Originally posted by genus49:
Stop embarrassing yourself man. I get it you watched some "Here is why Kyle sucks" videos and have it on repeat. Good for you.

Kyle pulling the center is for the run fake. Now if you want to play the "nobody really expects Kyle to run in that situation" card that's another story, although I would easily counter with the fact that 3rd and 4 can easily be a run in FG range with the possibility of a team going for it on 4th and short.

That also takes away from the very clear reason why there was pressure on that play and 2 players explained why, including the guy who went with his gut and didn't do what he was COACHED to do on the play.

The Center pulling has nothing to do with Burford not taking on Chris Jones.

But fine...let's ignore all that and get back to your idea that Kyle trusted Matt Ryan ALL year long. And now on that 2nd down, not 3rd or 4th down...2nd down. Kyle somehow should've known, if I call this pass here Matt will take a sack. Is that your logic?

If anything Ryan playing with those 50 lb weighted shoes as you put it should've made it an easier throw away. Play covered - throw it away to the sideline so you don't get a grounding call.

But once again let's blame the collapse of a 28-3 mid 3rd quarter lead on the OC because of a 2nd down call to pass the ball instead of running it after the 1st down run play got -1 yards.

Burfords instincts dont tell him to block left if the center is there, so ya that has something to do with it. Atl could've lost 3 yards on the next 2 plays and would've been better off than what happened unnecessarily dropping back

He didn't think Alex Mack would get blown up. He didn't think Matt would take a sack. That's tough, because it happened and his bad playcall was what made it possible. They had it in their hands and Kyles call on 2nd down swung the door back open for NE. They shouldn't have been dropping back there
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on May 23, 2024 at 8:58 AM ]
Player who actually played in the game
- It was my fault I f**ked up

Some clown on a forum
- No!!! He's wrong!!!

Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

Some clown on a forum
- No!!! He's wrong!!!

Player shows maturity and takes all blame. Kyle apologists rejoice. Reminds me of Bradberry taking the high road and everyone celebrating soft bail out calls
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on May 23, 2024 at 9:23 AM ]
Player shows maturity and takes all blame. Kyle apologists rejoice. Reminds me of Bradberry taking the high road and everyone celebrating soft bail out calls

He got called out on social media by a teammate and responded.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

it was a bad look teammates sniping each other on social media, if i'm a player i have no social, or social that is handled by a handler, it would be handy to have someone else be hands on,
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
it was a bad look teammates sniping each other on social media, if i'm a player i have no social, or social that is handled by a handler, it would be handy to have someone else be hands on,

Agree it was a bad look.

It's still what motivated Burford's response. We don't have to pretend a player f**king up a play is the coach's fault. He's supposed to know his responsibility. It shouldn't have been a surprise that the center 'wasn't there'.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Agree it was a bad look.

It's still what motivated Burford's response. We don't have to pretend a player f**king up a play is the coach's fault. He's supposed to know his responsibility. It shouldn't have been a surprise that the center 'wasn't there'.

maybe we can be gracious to Feliciano and say, he wasn't so much throwing Burford under, iirc you had ppl online, and someone on this forum blaming McK. So I think Feliciano was spelling out that McK wasn't to blame. ppl on here looked at it and blamed McK, but as coach says, they think they know, but they don't really know, and they never will.. well in this case they will, cuz Feliciano told everyone, but i digress..

It was his mistake. Doesn't make pulling the center smart. Alex Boone worships Kyle and even he let it slip. At about 10:20, "it's just a bad, bad philosophy"

It was his mistake. Doesn't make pulling the center smart. Alex Boone worships Kyle and even he let it slip. At about 10:20, "it's just a bad, bad philosophy"

[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on May 23, 2024 at 10:03 AM ]

Some clown on a forum
- No!!! He's wrong!!!

So you're aware of maturity, as a concept, but continue to point fingers? Strange times.

Some clown on a forum
- No!!! He's wrong!!!

Kyle is held to a standard no one else is. Par for course.
Lol this thread.
Can't wait till preseason
Share 49ersWebzone