LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 213 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by glorydayz:
Shanahan is the Head Coach & the O.C, who put Burford (who was unprepared) out on the field in that situation?

I don't know why you see Andy Reid as a genius because his O-Line was holding? There are many other things to point in that regard. Nah, I know you were being sarcastic LOL

For f's sakes man are you serious right now? You act like Shanahan subbed Burford in for that play specifically.

Feliciano won the starting job for a reason. Feliciano got hurt - something I'm sure you'll blame on Shanahan for putting him in harms way or not having him work on his body well enough.

And btw Feliciano WAS prepared. He owned up to doing his own thing and going with his gut. A coach cannot control what a player does in the heat of the moment. Just like coaches can't count on QBs taking bad sacks, players fumbling the ball.

If anything you'd think the defense/Bosa saying they weren't prepared for Mahomes keeper on 4th down in OT, while Trent Williams is calling for it on the sideline would be a coaching lack of prep...something I'm sure you'd blame on Shanahan as the HC. You think Andy Reid worries about the defensive gameplan?
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
It's fact. Not talk out of my ass. Start with the simple so you can understand it. Overtime decision. Stupid move. Not knowing the rules is not an excuse it's an admission of not being prepared and thus not preparing your team. He was out coached. He abandoned the run and called horrible plays in 3rd quarter. Actually while we are at it his play calling in all 3 superbowls he lost was highly questionable. He makes a habit of s**tting the bed in the big game. Shall I go on? His offensive genius has produced a total of 12 points in the 4th quarter and ot of all three superbowls combined. I guess that's just bad luck. By the way, He is attributed to having lost three of the biggest leads in superbowl history. More bad luck? I don't think so. Bad decisions. Bad play calling. Bad coaching.

First of all...you gotta learn how to format your posts. Nobody wants to read a paragraph of garbage takes but since I just broke my foot I don't have much else to do.

Overtime decision - I don't know why some of you are so hell bent to trash Kyle that you're willing to expose yourselves as complete fools in actually saying out loud that Shanahan didn't know the OT rules. He knew the rules. The whole hooplah about OT is that our players weren't told about them before the game.

In hindsight we can claim it was a terrible coaching decision by Kyle and the Chiefs and Andy Reid were so smart in going over the rules before the game. Guess what, if you take off the hate blinders you'll realize spending time on a hypothetical situation that doesn't actually change ANYTHING isn't a great use of time. The Chiefs spent time on it because maybe their HC didn't have to babysit the DC and could concentrate on his expertise - the offense, which btw was not very good schematically.

The new OT rules changed nothing about what the goal of the offense was when we took the ball first - score a TD. If anything under the old rules you want to score the TD cuz it secures the win. The new rules changed nothing about how OT is played save a TD on the opening possession doesn't guarantee victory and the other team gets a chance to score as well.

Kyle knew the rules. He went over it with our analytics department and our department as well as the overall analytics community had it basically a 50/50 split whether to take it first or kick it off to the other team. For all the talk of Kyle not being good at game management the decision to take it first even in hindsight is more logical than not.

At the time of the decision we knew a few things - the Chiefs did not have a single TD drive in the game that wasn't a result of a fumbled punt within our own 20 yard line. We knew they could kick FGs and at a good distance. We knew they were starting to find their groove against our defense who was just out on the field giving up the tying FG in under 2 minutes and a defense that was on the field a good amount of plays in the 4th quarter. They were tired.

The decision to take the ball allowed that defense to rest and try to find a way to fix the cracks that KC found towards the end of the 4th. It also gave us the first possession that while didn't give us a "know what you have to match/exceed" situation gave us a chance to kick a FG and if KC does what they've done most of that game gives the 49ers the next possession where they can win with a FG.

That is all logical and given how the game was going made sense. That's what game management is. You're making calls based on what you've seen in that game, in that moment. The whole "you can't give Mahomes the ball last" narrative is fun now but that same Mahomes wasn't showing he could lead his offense down the field and score a TD even against our defense without Greenlaw.

But yes please do go on. You claim he didn't run enough show me what plays he clearly should've ran on that he didn't. The whole he didn't run enough in the 3rd quarter is a lazy narrative that I've gone over in this thread a few times. I already wrote a lot above so I won't get into it again. But considering every actual in game decision you mentioned as a coaching fail wasn't...you'll have to bring something else to this conversation.

Excuses for failure, but that is an opinion just like criticizing is an opinion.

In the world of PR spins and social media all is ok, but the history cannot be changed and we all know what truly happened at the end of the day.

Could you imagine any coach saying let's go ahead and give Montana/Brady the ball last since we have been affective against then all game long? Mahomes is that kind of QB.

Preparation is the key to football. Bill Walsh knew he was going sprint right option in that situation, so did Montana because it had been rehearsed or practiced over and over again for that particular situation.

Mahomes was so surprised when he ran to his sideline, he basically said I didn't have to do anything "they wanted it, they wanted the football!"

Nothing I said was excuses. They were literal facts in that game when the OT decision was made. I challenge you to take anything I said and act like it was an opinion or an excuse.

Mahomes is a great QB but they hadn't scored a TD without that fumble in 6 quarters of football. They were mediocre all season. This was not the Mahomes of 2018-2019 or even last year. You wanted the man to coach scared and yet I see a ton of Shanahan bashers claim he's not aggressive enough. It's like you guys can't find a consistent narrative. You want him to run but be aggressive, you want to keep Mahomes off the field but have no problem possibly running into a turnover on downs where he can win with a FG - something he actually proved he could do consistently in that game. Leading TD drives was not that.

In the end we didn't do our part on that first drive which was score a TD. Yet the play to do so was there if Burford does his job. That is not a coaching failure. Wilks get no blame from you - yet when faced with two leads late in the 4th and in OT he pulled out his worst for the biggest moments in the game. Literally pulled out the red carpet for the man. Preparation is the key to football...yet we weren't prepared for a 4th down play that could win us the SB.

Yes, let's blame Kyle.

Mahomes running to the sideline meant nothing if the 49ers do their job. They score a TD on that opening possession or stop them on 4th down and that clip is likely never released or if it is we're all laughing at it. You're evaluating decisions with hindsight. I'm confident had Kyle seen the future the way you clearly can and he'd have several SBs by now. Give him a call maybe and show him a thing or two Ms Cleo.
Want to talk about coaches preparing their teams?

Take a look at some of the key downs on DEFENSE in OT.

This is how we play Mahomes after getting them into 2nd and 13 situation.

Hanging back in the back end and giving him an easy completion to cut it to 3rd and manageable. Think Spags would do that for Purdy and the 49ers offense?

Here is the critical 4th down for the game. 4th and 1 situation. Look at where our safeties are lined up. If you look at this play on TV, the camera doesn't even have them in the frame when the ball is snapped. You're telling me this was a coach putting his guys in position to succeed?

Shanahan is the Head Coach & the O.C, who put Burford (who was unprepared) out on the field in that situation?

I don't know why you see Andy Reid as a genius because his O-Line was holding? There are many other things to point in that regard. Nah, I know you were being sarcastic LOL

For f's sakes man are you serious right now? You act like Shanahan subbed Burford in for that play specifically.

Feliciano won the starting job for a reason. Feliciano got hurt - something I'm sure you'll blame on Shanahan for putting him in harms way or not having him work on his body well enough.

And btw Feliciano WAS prepared. He owned up to doing his own thing and going with his gut. A coach cannot control what a player does in the heat of the moment. Just like coaches can't count on QBs taking bad sacks, players fumbling the ball.

If anything you'd think the defense/Bosa saying they weren't prepared for Mahomes keeper on 4th down in OT, while Trent Williams is calling for it on the sideline would be a coaching lack of prep...something I'm sure you'd blame on Shanahan as the HC. You think Andy Reid worries about the defensive gameplan?

Can't fix stupid
It's fact. Not talk out of my ass. Start with the simple so you can understand it. Overtime decision. Stupid move. Not knowing the rules is not an excuse it's an admission of not being prepared and thus not preparing your team. He was out coached. He abandoned the run and called horrible plays in 3rd quarter. Actually while we are at it his play calling in all 3 superbowls he lost was highly questionable. He makes a habit of s**tting the bed in the big game. Shall I go on? His offensive genius has produced a total of 12 points in the 4th quarter and ot of all three superbowls combined. I guess that's just bad luck. By the way, He is attributed to having lost three of the biggest leads in superbowl history. More bad luck? I don't think so. Bad decisions. Bad play calling. Bad coaching.

First of all...you gotta learn how to format your posts. Nobody wants to read a paragraph of garbage takes but since I just broke my foot I don't have much else to do.

Overtime decision - I don't know why some of you are so hell bent to trash Kyle that you're willing to expose yourselves as complete fools in actually saying out loud that Shanahan didn't know the OT rules. He knew the rules. The whole hooplah about OT is that our players weren't told about them before the game.

In hindsight we can claim it was a terrible coaching decision by Kyle and the Chiefs and Andy Reid were so smart in going over the rules before the game. Guess what, if you take off the hate blinders you'll realize spending time on a hypothetical situation that doesn't actually change ANYTHING isn't a great use of time. The Chiefs spent time on it because maybe their HC didn't have to babysit the DC and could concentrate on his expertise - the offense, which btw was not very good schematically.

The new OT rules changed nothing about what the goal of the offense was when we took the ball first - score a TD. If anything under the old rules you want to score the TD cuz it secures the win. The new rules changed nothing about how OT is played save a TD on the opening possession doesn't guarantee victory and the other team gets a chance to score as well.

Kyle knew the rules. He went over it with our analytics department and our department as well as the overall analytics community had it basically a 50/50 split whether to take it first or kick it off to the other team. For all the talk of Kyle not being good at game management the decision to take it first even in hindsight is more logical than not.

At the time of the decision we knew a few things - the Chiefs did not have a single TD drive in the game that wasn't a result of a fumbled punt within our own 20 yard line. We knew they could kick FGs and at a good distance. We knew they were starting to find their groove against our defense who was just out on the field giving up the tying FG in under 2 minutes and a defense that was on the field a good amount of plays in the 4th quarter. They were tired.

The decision to take the ball allowed that defense to rest and try to find a way to fix the cracks that KC found towards the end of the 4th. It also gave us the first possession that while didn't give us a "know what you have to match/exceed" situation gave us a chance to kick a FG and if KC does what they've done most of that game gives the 49ers the next possession where they can win with a FG.

That is all logical and given how the game was going made sense. That's what game management is. You're making calls based on what you've seen in that game, in that moment. The whole "you can't give Mahomes the ball last" narrative is fun now but that same Mahomes wasn't showing he could lead his offense down the field and score a TD even against our defense without Greenlaw.

But yes please do go on. You claim he didn't run enough show me what plays he clearly should've ran on that he didn't. The whole he didn't run enough in the 3rd quarter is a lazy narrative that I've gone over in this thread a few times. I already wrote a lot above so I won't get into it again. But considering every actual in game decision you mentioned as a coaching fail wasn't...you'll have to bring something else to this conversation.

Excuses for failure, but that is an opinion just like criticizing is an opinion.

In the world of PR spins and social media all is ok, but the history cannot be changed and we all know what truly happened at the end of the day.

Could you imagine any coach saying let's go ahead and give Montana/Brady the ball last since we have been affective against then all game long? Mahomes is that kind of QB.

Preparation is the key to football. Bill Walsh knew he was going sprint right option in that situation, so did Montana because it had been rehearsed or practiced over and over again for that particular situation.

Mahomes was so surprised when he ran to his sideline, he basically said I didn't have to do anything "they wanted it, they wanted the football!"

It's pointless, these guys are so bought into the genius label that they can't see what is in front of them. 0-3. 3 blown leads. 3 superbowls lost and all three he had leads The responses you get are laughable and show just how foolish they are. The record and history speaks for itself. You may not like the truth but it is still the truth. His superbowl record is fact. 12 total points in the 4th quarter of three sb is fact. Calling for a majority of pass plays with a sizable lead thus giving the other team a chance to crawl back with time on the clock is fact.

by the way thanks for the formatting advice… now take my advice. Open your eyes and get your head out of Kyle's a$$.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Montana:
I mean ya got a point, Kyle did help Jimmy get to the SB..on the Raiders, he dwindled..though, there were coach issues and such..the whole organization was a mess lol. But still, Jimmy looked lost on the Raiders, completely.

Ravens won a SB with Trent Dilfer at QB.

But I do see your point, Kyle has an incredible system. He has been in it his whole life due to his dad. He just has to have the stars line up for everything to work out.

Talent evaluation for his system, and then situational football. Once he learns how to close the show the sky will be the limit.

The Chiefs needed an Achilles to rupture, the best RB in the league to fumble, a punt to bounce off a players toe and a questionable decision in OT to win. They needed the stars to line up to steal that game away.

The chiefs also had Kyle. They out coached him again. They beat him again. Sure, we had some unfortunate things happen but at the end of the day the better coached team won. Again.

OUCH!

Lol what's the matter you stubbed your toe on a s**tty post.

End of the day is, the 49ers had two costly turnovers and the 49ers defense allowed a TD in overtime. I won't even bring up all the holding Bill Vinovich allowed the Chiefs O-line to do, oops I just did.

More excuses

Players give excuses, these are known facts from a fans perspective, something you haters keep ignoring.

Championship Players/Coaches/Owners don't give excuses, those guys live in a world of accountability.

Right, but I'm a fan and not a player showing you something you keep ignoring. You act like I'm speaking for players and coaches, there's your problem. I can bring up unfortunate turnover and b******t refs all I want because for one it's true. The s**t is all over the internets on how much holding their b******t O-line did.

Making excuses for the coach is speaking for the coach.

When we were winning both super bowls against the Chiefs in the 4th quarter, there weren't many excuses.

Their O-line held, and instead of holding our response was to not even touch their best defensive player on one of the most important plays of the game? Every mistake is on the Head Coach, "your either coaching it, or allowing it".

Lol I'm speaking for the coach, tell me you're reaching without telling me you're reaching.

No frickin way, I saw holding throughout the game, it was sickening. It's not excuses if it's right there for everyone to see, you act like I'm saying the 49ers loss because Deebo Samuel tripped over a sprinkler.

https://youtube.com/shorts/L7CMdgz20GA?si=cANpuvNslISRZa0j

As for Chris Jones walking through, amazing how you pin that on Shanahan and not a misread by Burford, just amazing. And by that logic, I get it now, Andy Reid is a genius because his O-line held and got away with it.

If anything that was a Foerster that Burford was out there. Head coaches don't have time to sub in and sub out who they want on every specific play, that's why there's position coaches. It's sad and biased by you that you can't call it what it is, a misread or mis-block by Burford. It happens all the time in games but this one particular one is on Shanahan right. Give it a rest.

Who hired Foerster?

?

I think you mean Burford?

Excuses tend to make facts blurry.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

Can't fix stupid

Its hard to come up with an excuse for that?

It's pointless, these guys are so bought into the genius label that they can't see what is in front of them. 0-3. 3 blown leads. 3 superbowls lost and all three he had leads The responses you get are laughable and show just how foolish they are. The record and history speaks for itself. You may not like the truth but it is still the truth. His superbowl record is fact. 12 total points in the 4th quarter of three sb is fact. Calling for a majority of pass plays with a sizable lead thus giving the other team a chance to crawl back with time on the clock is fact.

by the way thanks for the formatting advice… now take my advice. Open your eyes and get your head out of Kyle's a$$.

I hear you
thread's really become hilarious. players have zero responsibility in many of these ridiculous takes. these dudes would blame Kyle for Dre's achilles if they could.

Originally posted by boast:
thread's really become hilarious. players have zero responsibility in many of these ridiculous takes. these dudes would blame Kyle for Dre's achilles if they could.

So you blame the followers before the leaders?

Lol dude it's Mahomes though. You better make damn sure you score a TD after electing to receive, cause he is sure damn capable or likely to be able to score a TD when he gets the ball back-regardless of how he played in the game prior to that. That's irrelevant. It's Mahomes/Reid we are talking about lol. You have to play the best game of football, period. To make a decision on how he has played in the game, really? And just forget it's Mahomes. ok lol. I knew we were screwed after the fg when Kyle decided to receive. I wasn't surprised at all of the outcome.
[ Edited by Montana on Jun 6, 2024 at 12:38 PM ]

So you blame the followers before the leaders?

please post a link of Kyle running out on the field in the SB and slapping the ball out of CMC's hands

Same ones excuse Harbaugh for all his flaws too. So that's how you know it's just about Kyle. No standard other than anti Kyle.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jun 6, 2024 at 1:11 PM ]
Glory: Who drafted Dre !!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone