LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 204 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Are we really going over why Shanahan chose Solomon Thomas, D-line over Patrick Mahomes again!!!!

If anyone should be pissed off they chose so and so over Mahomes it should be Bears fans who chose Trubisky over Mahomes. Everyone (Besides Shanahan haters) knew Shanahan wanted Kirk Cousins over any 1st round QB. Shanahan was never gonna trust a rookie QB to start his head coaching career.

This is exactly it. It's easy to say in hindsight they should've drafted Mahomes just like it was easy to say they should've drafted Aaron Rodgers.

I think in both cases for different reasons Mahomes/Rodgers would not be the players they ended up being had the 49ers drafted them to the weak rosters they had in place.

Both QBs benefited greatly in their ability to sit before getting to start and both got to start on really good teams. Had they been drafted by the 49ers they would've been forced to start as rookies on teams not built for success. Mahomes would've been in better shape with Kyle but considering Patrick owned up to not learning how to read defenses properly until year 3 of his career...I doubt he would've worked well with Kyle and that wouldn't go as well as some people pretend it would've gone simply because they see the success he's had with KC.
Shoot...Even I got over the Mahomes thing.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

They call him "the anti-Jimmy."
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

They call him "the anti-Jimmy."

The funny thing is if Shanny could do it over again he would of drafted CMC and signed Cousins. So Mahomes is a moot point.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by genus49:
Are we really going over why Shanahan chose Solomon Thomas, D-line over Patrick Mahomes again!!!!

If anyone should be pissed off they chose so and so over Mahomes it should be Bears fans who chose Trubisky over Mahomes. Everyone (Besides Shanahan haters) knew Shanahan wanted Kirk Cousins over any 1st round QB. Shanahan was never gonna trust a rookie QB to start his head coaching career.

This is exactly it. It's easy to say in hindsight they should've drafted Mahomes just like it was easy to say they should've drafted Aaron Rodgers.

I think in both cases for different reasons Mahomes/Rodgers would not be the players they ended up being had the 49ers drafted them to the weak rosters they had in place.

Both QBs benefited greatly in their ability to sit before getting to start and both got to start on really good teams. Had they been drafted by the 49ers they would've been forced to start as rookies on teams not built for success. Mahomes would've been in better shape with Kyle but considering Patrick owned up to not learning how to read defenses properly until year 3 of his career...I doubt he would've worked well with Kyle and that wouldn't go as well as some people pretend it would've gone simply because they see the success he's had with KC.

Rodgers would've failed and not be who he is today due to the number of different OC's this team went through from 2005-2010. Sure Rodgers would've been good with Harbaugh better than what Smith showed, but the first half of his career would've been rough.

As for Mahomes, Brian Hoyer was so bad that Mahomes would've started his career by game three with a battered O-line and no running game or WR's that would help him be who he is today. I wonder what this fan base would've thought of him going if it were him that went on a six game losing streak.
Rodgers would've failed and not be who he is today due to the number of different OC's this team went through from 2005-2010. Sure Rodgers would've been good with Harbaugh better than what Smith showed, but the first half of his career would've been rough.

As for Mahomes, Brian Hoyer was so bad that Mahomes would've started his career by game three with a battered O-line and no running game or WR's that would help him be who he is today. I wonder what this fan base would've thought of him going if it were him that went on a six game losing streak.

He would have been awesome… this is silly. Jimmy G was enough to get a 5 game win streak with the team.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by captveg:
I don't see the big lie you attribute to their statements. They clearly liked what Brock was showing in training camp 2022, but had no evidence to suggest it would translate to performance in games, as it was so limited in terms of snaps/opportunities. The media members have essentially confirmed this, too. That's the main reason why Brock was 3rd on the depth chart, along with having the investment in Lance that they needed to see play out, and having Garoppolo - a known commodity - surprisingly still available. It's also why they were ready to move on so quicky from both Jimmy (no interest in re-signing in 2023) and Trey (traded) once Brock had his 2022 game film and proved he was recovered from the elbow surgery by pre-season 2023. Brock was even named the starter before he returned from his rehab, so at least by the 2023 offseason they had made up their minds, but the injury recovery was the hold up, so they had to have a contingency, hence bringing in Darnold to compete with Lance.

I think you're half there, but you aren't connecting the logic you are using to correctly explain '23 to what they did in '22. If they believed Brock was the best QB on the roster in training camp, they aren't bringing back Jimmy G as a highly paid backup with large incentives for playtime, giving him control of a potential future trade, and then sliding him ahead of Brock on the depth chart. This is what team's do when they aren't confident in their starter or backup.

It's similar to moves they made in the '23 offseason but for a different reason: health of the starter. Brock wasn't healthy, his outlook for the start of the season wasn't clear, and they didn't trust Trey Lance as a number 2 option. So they brought in another highly paid backup with incentives for playing time. Again, this is what team's do when the position isn't solidified.

Look at this year. Brock is healthy. He's still dirt cheap. And we signed low dollar backups behind him. We are operating now like every other team that has a confidence in their guy… not wasting money insuring for poor play at the position.

I don't think this is a 'big lie' either. It's just an obvious one, and this type of pointless public statement from a happy Jed York is nothing new in his history.

* I should add I could completely see Kyle saying he thinks Brock might be the best QB between the QBs who actually participated in camp: Sudfeld, Lance. That's obviously believable as those two guys aren't good quarterbacks… but again the context would be missing because the idea was to develop Lance, not look at him as a ready made player and Jimmy was possibly going to be gone if someone blew them away with an offer.

I don't recall them saying they believed Brock to be the best QB on the roster in camp in 2022. What I recall them saying is that he had the best camp in his limited reps. Those are different things. In any case they didn't believe at the time it was prudent to go into the season with just a still raw Lance and a totally unproven Purdy, so they brought back Jimmy G as an insurance against that combined NFL snap inexperience of Lance/Purdy.

There's nothing deceitful in them looking back and saying they saw all the signs but just couldn't push in all their chips on Purdy at that time. There is a greater context in mind with which all their statements have been made.
Originally posted by captveg:
I don't recall them saying they believed Brock to be the best QB on the roster in camp in 2022. What I recall them saying is that he had the best camp in his limited reps. Those are different things. In any case they didn't believe at the time it was prudent to go into the season with just a still raw Lance and a totally unproven Purdy, so they brought back Jimmy G as an insurance against that combined NFL snap inexperience of Lance/Purdy.

There's nothing deceitful in them looking back and saying they saw all the signs but just couldn't push in all their chips on Purdy at that time. There is a greater context in mind with which all their statements have been made.

Video is linked above. You can use the Pat McAfee one as it isolates the actual comments.

We should probably move on anyway as this was beaten to death last year as it was happening.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

He would have been awesome… this is silly. Jimmy G was enough to get a 5 game win streak with the team.

Jimmy G wasn't transitioning from college to the NFL.
Jimmy G wasn't transitioning from college to the NFL.

Yea, Mahomes had one season of pro experience, which featured one start in a regular season game, before taking over the following year and becoming the third QB in NFL history with 50 TD passes winning the MVP in the process.

We don't have to take gigantic leaps to soften the criticism that they had an opportunity to take this guy and didn't. We clearly weren't targeting a QB. It is what it is.

Kyle was just ranked the 4th best coach in NFL. Behind Read, Tomlin and McVay. Can someone please tell me why McVay continues to be ranked ahead of Kyle? I think that is ridiculous!
Originally posted by Oscar8325:
Kyle was just ranked the 4th best coach in NFL. Behind Read, Tomlin and McVay. Can someone please tell me why McVay continues to be ranked ahead of Kyle? I think that is ridiculous!

Obvious answer is he's a SB champion. Same with Tomlin. I'm taking Kyle over both… don't feel it's even close in Tomlin's case.
Originally posted by Oscar8325:

Obvious answer is he's a SB champion. Same with Tomlin. I'm taking Kyle over both… don't feel it's even close in Tomlin's case.

Reid deserves to be #1, no doubt. I would put Kyle over mcvay and Tomlin but I think mcvay is a hell of a coach. I wouldn't put Tomlin that high but I think he's a hell of a coach.

Tomlin needs a qb, just like any HC does to compete, but he is a really good coach.
Tomlin is the most overrated coach in the NFL. The dude lives of his quips, and the media eat it up. Reid is probably the best HC in the business, and is the only guy I can see a real argument over Shanahan AFAIC.
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
Tomlin is the most overrated coach in the NFL. The dude lives of his quips, and the media eat it up. Reid is probably the best HC in the business, and is the only guy I can see a real argument over Shanahan AFAIC.

Not sure I'd call him "overrated". 17 consecutive non-losing seasons Is pretty Impressive tbh. Plus he was the youngest head coach to win a Super Bowl at the time.

I do agree with Reid and Kyle being the best head coaches In the business right now.
Share 49ersWebzone