There are 205 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Jimmy G wasn't transitioning from college to the NFL.

Yea, Mahomes had one season of pro experience, which featured one start in a regular season game, before taking over the following year and becoming the third QB in NFL history with 50 TD passes winning the MVP in the process.

We don't have to take gigantic leaps to soften the criticism that they had an opportunity to take this guy and didn't. We clearly weren't targeting a QB. It is what it is.

So you're saying he would've transitioned fine on a team with one of thee most worst rosters the 9ers have had in a while. Not to mention a bottom ranked defense? And there's no doubt he would've been who he is today?

That's funny, because he looked pretty average this past season when he didn't have receivers. Imagine how he would've looked on the 2017 roster starting as rookie!!!
[ Edited by Kolohe on Jun 7, 2024 at 3:40 PM ]
So you're saying he would've transitioned fine on a team with one of thee most worst rosters the 9ers have had in a while. Not to mention a bottom ranked defense? And there's no doubt he would've been who he is today?

That's funny, because he looked pretty average this past season when he didn't have receivers. Imagine how he would've looked on the 2017 roster starting as rookie!!!

I think Smokeys point is more he'd excel with Shanahan.

Mahomes was seen as a late 1st rounder on draft day. Chiefs actually got graded poorly for moving up to get him. Obviously they were right in hindsight.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

I think Smokeys point is more he'd excel with Shanahan.

Mahomes was seen as a late 1st rounder on draft day. Chiefs actually got graded poorly for moving up to get him. Obviously they were right in hindsight.

Yah I don't disagree with that. But if you would've asked me before the draft it would've been a different answer. Lol

My point is Mahomes would've struggled his first season on a bad team that's it. Whether or not he would've been the same Mahomes I just don't see it. He would've been good I don't doubt it but not two Super Bowl wins good.

Yea, Mahomes had one season of pro experience, which featured one start in a regular season game, before taking over the following year and becoming the third QB in NFL history with 50 TD passes winning the MVP in the process.

We don't have to take gigantic leaps to soften the criticism that they had an opportunity to take this guy and didn't. We clearly weren't targeting a QB. It is what it is.

Mahomes himself said he wasn't ready as a rookie and mentioned how critical to his development having Alex Smith as a mentor was for his career and even then he said he didn't really figure out how to read nfl defenses by mid year 3.

Saying he would've been awesome without pro bowl Kittle as a rookie and aging Pierre Garçon as our best weapon seems far fetched to me but to be fair we have no way of proving it one way or another.

But considering the man himself claimed him sitting was huge for his growth, I'm inclined to believe he would not have been awesome.
Originally posted by genus49:

Mahomes himself said he wasn't ready as a rookie and mentioned how critical to his development having Alex Smith as a mentor was for his career and even then he said he didn't really figure out how to read nfl defenses by mid year 3.

Saying he would've been awesome without pro bowl Kittle as a rookie and aging Pierre Garçon as our best weapon seems far fetched to me but to be fair we have no way of proving it one way or another.

But considering the man himself claimed him sitting was huge for his growth, I'm inclined to believe he would not have been awesome.

Hoyer is not Alex Smith however Shanahan probably would have sat him most of the year. He may have gotten us a couple of rings but who knows.

We probably would have beaten the Cheifs twice though, if the whole matrix was the same otherwise.

Yea I think he was being kind to Alex Smith though I'm sure he learned some things about being a professional from him during that 1st year.

To be clear I do think his production would have been worse here, as we didn't have the weapons that the Chiefs had and also because Shanahan's not running the same type of offense. He would have still been the best QB in the league. What makes him an amazing player isn't something you learn simply by sitting a year on the bench.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oscar8325:
Kyle was just ranked the 4th best coach in NFL. Behind Read, Tomlin and McVay. Can someone please tell me why McVay continues to be ranked ahead of Kyle? I think that is ridiculous!

Kyle shouldn't even be ranked that high.

Yea I think he was being kind to Alex Smith though I'm sure he learned some things about being a professional from him during that 1st year.

To be clear I do think his production would have been worse here, as we didn't have the weapons that the Chiefs had and also because Shanahan's not running the same type of offense. He would have still been the best QB in the league. What makes him an amazing player isn't something you learn simply by sitting a year on the bench.

I honestly don't know if Kyle would've had the patience with him to do his own stuff that Andy had…cuz Andy was in a very different time in his career.

You also never know how early success or lack of affects a person.

Did you see Alex talk recently in the Q&A with Brock, Garcia and Steve Young? He talked about the pressure of reviving a franchise and not having a proper vet in the room.

Yes we would've had Hoyer and while he's not Alex Smith he's also not Tim Rattay or whoever we ended up as the "vet" with Alex here. But Pat would've had to play right away, especially the way Hoyer played. Hard to say how someone reacts to higher expectations with less % to succeed.

Either way…moot point now.
I dont think I take any coach over Shanny, maybe Andy but he's getting old and has had the best qb so Idk how much better he is. Sean Mcvay is a wiz but it seems like Shanny kicks his ass 8/10 times
Originally posted by DrEll:
Kyle was just ranked the 4th best coach in NFL. Behind Read, Tomlin and McVay. Can someone please tell me why McVay continues to be ranked ahead of Kyle? I think that is ridiculous!

Kyle shouldn't even be ranked that high.

Originally posted by Sickaa:
Not sure I'd call him "overrated". 17 consecutive non-losing seasons Is pretty Impressive tbh. Plus he was the youngest head coach to win a Super Bowl at the time.

I do agree with Reid and Kyle being the best head coaches In the business right now.

He won it with Bill Cowher's team, and basically rode a HOF QB for the vast majority of his tenure. His teams have traditionally been underprepared against generally weaker teams. He's Mike McCarthy (1 SB win early and little to show a decade+ after) with a greater gift of gab, so the media and thus fans, think he's something special. The only thing I ever hear about McCarthy are the negative aspects to his coaching, which are legit. 17 consecutive non losing seasons? Yeah...it's 'impressive', but the last 6 or so have basically been 9 wins a year, and no playoff wins since the 2016 season.
Originally posted by tankle104:
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Everybody has opinions, theirs and yours are as good as anybody's. Just my opinion, but if a Coach generally ends up deep in the playoffs and in the Superbowl twice in the last five years - he ain't doing too bad.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Reid deserves to be #1, no doubt. I would put Kyle over mcvay and Tomlin but I think mcvay is a hell of a coach. I wouldn't put Tomlin that high but I think he's a hell of a coach.

Tomlin needs a qb, just like any HC does to compete, but he is a really good coach.

Agree, Reid deserves to be #1. The difference for me, is that Kyle is not that much off from Reid coaching-wise, and he's 22 years (or so) way younger than Reid. Add that to the fact that Purdy is also *very young* considering what he's accomplished in just two years of his NFL career - you are looking at another Dynasty level period, if everything goes well.
Share 49ersWebzone