LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 229 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
He did not develop matt Ryan sorry. That's just dumb, take Brock out who is left? A real line up of hofmers… thanks for making my point. Jimmy g…. lol. Nick who?…. Yeah. Ok.

Develop him, no. He just coordinated him to having the best year of his career and the best offense he ever was a part of. One of the best seasons a QB has ever had, and arguably the single most efficient. Matt Ryan! Lol. Consistently put him in position to maximize his ability.

players develop themselves.

Kyle has taken damn near every QB he's been given and gotten the most out of them. That goes back to the Schaub days.

In my eyes, the proof is in the pudding with how guys did under Kyle and then under other coaches.

look at Jimmy in LV? Insane. Kyle was masking so many of his issues and putting him in position to succeed at a ridiculously high level. I always thought Jimmy was limited but a good qb overall. After seeing him in Vegas, it just made me realize how great of an offensive coach Kyle is.
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
I especially like what he did with Trey Lance

Dude got hurt multiple times. Keep s**t real man

Maybe that was the most you'll ever see out of the guy, lol.
Originally posted by tankle104:
In my eyes, the proof is in the pudding with how guys did under Kyle and then under other coaches.

look at Jimmy in LV? Insane. Kyle was masking so many of his issues and putting him in position to succeed at a ridiculously high level. I always thought Jimmy was limited but a good qb overall. After seeing him in Vegas, it just made me realize how great of an offensive coach Kyle is.

Anyone who's objective would agree.

It's not really about developing. It's about putting them in a system that they can succeed in. That's the coaches job. The player's job is to develop their skill set and learn the nuances.

Anyone who's objective would agree.

It's not really about developing. It's about putting them in a system that they can succeed in. That's the coaches job. The player's job is to develop their skill set and learn the nuances.

I don't think a lot of fans realize how the qb training/development actually goes.

this is my understanding and I may be off by some, but Kyle and the QB coach review film, practice tape, plays, defenses etc with each other and go over how to execute plays. What went wrong etc.

at the end of the season (and even during to an extent) - the coaches let the players know what they'd like to see the qb improve upon, such as footwork, mechanics etc. then in the off season they grind on that on their own (usually with an off season coach).

is that about accurate?
I don't think a lot of fans realize how the qb training/development actually goes.

this is my understanding and I may be off by some, but Kyle and the QB coach review film, practice tape, plays, defenses etc with each other and go over how to execute plays. What went wrong etc.

at the end of the season (and even during to an extent) - the coaches let the players know what they'd like to see the qb improve upon, such as footwork, mechanics etc. then in the off season they grind on that on their own (usually with an off season coach).

is that about accurate?

Basically…coaches do it for all position groups along with their position coaches.

people saying Kyle is developing QBs (or not) don't understand that the head coach has to manage 50+ players, improve his play book, and deal with the 20 or so coaches as well. He's not sitting there telling Brock he's gotta work on his footwork and this is how all year.

The QB has to work on what the coaches requested and work on what he thinks he's needs to do in the off season.

I remember spending alllll summer debating with people here how amazingly stupid designed runs were for QBs. All summer... You can say it was chance but to me it was common sense.

is that about accurate?

Basically…coaches do it for all position groups along with their position coaches.

people saying Kyle is developing QBs (or not) don't understand that the head coach has to manage 50+ players, improve his play book, and deal with the 20 or so coaches as well. He's not sitting there telling Brock he's gotta work on his footwork and this is how all year.

The QB has to work on what the coaches requested and work on what he thinks he's needs to do in the off season.

I view coaches like a CEO. Your CEO isn't coming down and teaching the employees how to improve in their job. lol that's what your manager should be doing and part of it is you - just you being aware of your position and how to execute it well
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
So you're saying he would've transitioned fine on a team with one of thee most worst rosters the 9ers have had in a while. Not to mention a bottom ranked defense? And there's no doubt he would've been who he is today?

That's funny, because he looked pretty average this past season when he didn't have receivers. Imagine how he would've looked on the 2017 roster starting as rookie!!!

I think Smokeys point is more he'd excel with Shanahan.

Mahomes was seen as a late 1st rounder on draft day. Chiefs actually got graded poorly for moving up to get him. Obviously they were right in hindsight.

Sorry but no. He would not have excelled under Kyle. You guys are too much. He has 3 titles under a better coach and you're actually saying he would be even better under a coach who has none and has no real qb development to brag about. Give me what you're smoking cause it's the best s**t on the planet. If you say Kyle is responsible for Brock then I know you have no hope for redemption.

Yes Kyle is known as a QB killer. Thank you for bringing common sense into this conversation.
He did not develop matt Ryan sorry. That's just dumb, take Brock out who is left? A real line up of hofmers… thanks for making my point. Jimmy g…. lol. Nick who?…. Yeah. Ok.

Develop him, no. He just coordinated him to having the best year of his career and the best offense he ever was a part of. One of the best seasons a QB has ever had, and arguably the single most efficient. Matt Ryan! Lol. Consistently put him in position to maximize his ability.

Kyle has taken damn near every QB he's been given and gotten the most out of them. That goes back to the Schaub days.

I was and am a Trey Lance fan but when someone breaks their ankle there isn't too much coaching to be done.

Trey got hurt before any real development could be done. Everyone talked about Trey needing game reps. They tried to give them to him and he got hurt. Brock came in and showed he's legit. What do you expect Kyle to do in that instance?

Now if Trey ever breaks through and becomes one of the elite QBs in the game we can argue that Kyle didn't make the right choice but that's not a talking point anyone can bring up now with any backing to it.

He was constantly injured...so dumb

I remember spending alllll summer debating with people here how amazingly stupid designed runs were for QBs. All summer... You can say it was chance but to me it was common sense.

Common sense yes. But until we see Trey show himself to be a great pocket QB it's not much to harp on now. That was Kyle's way of giving Trey things he was comfortable doing and then ramping things up.

Nobody was hoping for injury in that situation but it happened and that's all it was. We've seen almost 2 full seasons of football since and Trey isn't any closer to being a starter right now. We'll see how he looks in camp for Dallas.

Either way that door is closed for us and Brock is clearly showing the confidence the team had in him was spot on.

Ya it's terrible. Allen and Jackson are just bums.

He coordinated him to lose a Super Bowl then came here and did the thing 2x . 12 points in the 4th quarter of 3 games. Offensive genius. Electric offense…. He folds when it counts most. That's a little bit execution and a lot of bad play calling in crucial situations. please tell me more about how he put Ryan in a position to succeed in the SB. KYLE admitted his mistakes in that game so don't claim he had nothing to do with that loss as the OC.

He coordinated him to lose a Super Bowl then came here and did the thing 2x . 12 points in the 4th quarter of 3 games. Offensive genius. Electric offense…. He folds when it counts most. That's a little bit execution and a lot of bad play calling in crucial situations. please tell me more about how he put Ryan in a position to succeed in the SB. KYLE admitted his mistakes in that game so don't claim he had nothing to do with that loss as the OC.

All this love for running circles around teams like the Cards and Panthers in the regular season. I used to love it too, but if Kyle keeps getting outsmarted in the playoffs by coaches like Spags, then he's gotta change something up. We don't get to play the panthers in the playoffs
Share 49ersWebzone