LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 224 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
I was and am a Trey Lance fan but when someone breaks their ankle there isn't too much coaching to be done.

Trey got hurt before any real development could be done. Everyone talked about Trey needing game reps. They tried to give them to him and he got hurt. Brock came in and showed he's legit. What do you expect Kyle to do in that instance?

Now if Trey ever breaks through and becomes one of the elite QBs in the game we can argue that Kyle didn't make the right choice but that's not a talking point anyone can bring up now with any backing to it.

Are we in fantasy land?
I was and am a Trey Lance fan but when someone breaks their ankle there isn't too much coaching to be done.

Trey got hurt before any real development could be done. Everyone talked about Trey needing game reps. They tried to give them to him and he got hurt. Brock came in and showed he's legit. What do you expect Kyle to do in that instance?

Now if Trey ever breaks through and becomes one of the elite QBs in the game we can argue that Kyle didn't make the right choice but that's not a talking point anyone can bring up now with any backing to it.

It was more than the ankle, he broke his finger too and it took like over a year to heal and had a compounding impact on his throwing etc.

I don't believe he was ever actually healthy for a single regular season game in his two years here.

it was hard cause he was raw af and Kyle was trying to play him but also protect the team and try to still compete for a chip, then the injuries made matters worse and it all just fell too far behind. Then we found Brock and it kind of solved our problem there. He's still super raw but I imagine his mechanics and all that are much improved since he's just been grinding. He still needs reps.

I was never a fan of the selection but I'd like to see him play somewhere and play well. Just
not in Dallas. Lol I can't root for him to do well in Dallas.
Originally posted by Koldo:

Are we in fantasy land?

If implies a possibility which is just that. Way to miss the point tho.
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
He did not develop matt Ryan sorry. That's just dumb, take Brock out who is left? A real line up of hofmers… thanks for making my point. Jimmy g…. lol. Nick who?…. Yeah. Ok.

Develop him, no. He just coordinated him to having the best year of his career and the best offense he ever was a part of. One of the best seasons a QB has ever had, and arguably the single most efficient. Matt Ryan! Lol. Consistently put him in position to maximize his ability.

He coordinated him to lose a Super Bowl then came here and did the thing 2x . 12 points in the 4th quarter of 3 games. Offensive genius. Electric offense…. He folds when it counts most. That's a little bit execution and a lot of bad play calling in crucial situations. please tell me more about how he put Ryan in a position to succeed in the SB. KYLE admitted his mistakes in that game so don't claim he had nothing to do with that loss as the OC.

All this love for running circles around teams like the Cards and Panthers in the regular season. I used to love it too, but if Kyle keeps getting outsmarted in the playoffs by coaches like Spags, then he's gotta change something up. We don't get to play the panthers in the playoffs

This comment would have something behind it if Shanahan didn't win 2 playoff games every time his team made the playoffs.

The way you guys talk about the man paints him like Mike McCarthy the last few years but at the same time the way you talk about Kyle McCarthy is the better HC since all that matters is winning the SB and McCarthy has that.

Coaches don't get to play madden or simulate the outcome of a game strictly off their decisions. Players have to make plays. Players have to stay healthy.

The idea that Kyle didn't put his players in position to win the game is simply wrong in this last SB.

Sean McVay and Matt Stafford won the SB after getting a 3 point lead and then their defense held the Bengals from scoring - I've seen a bunch of Rams fans and some 49er fans act like they did something way more impressive than Purdy and Shanahan and yet it only seems that way because their defense stopped the Bengals.

Just how it works.
He did not develop matt Ryan sorry. That's just dumb, take Brock out who is left? A real line up of hofmers… thanks for making my point. Jimmy g…. lol. Nick who?…. Yeah. Ok.

Develop him, no. He just coordinated him to having the best year of his career and the best offense he ever was a part of. One of the best seasons a QB has ever had, and arguably the single most efficient. Matt Ryan! Lol. Consistently put him in position to maximize his ability.

He coordinated him to lose a Super Bowl then came here and did the thing 2x . 12 points in the 4th quarter of 3 games. Offensive genius. Electric offense…. He folds when it counts most. That's a little bit execution and a lot of bad play calling in crucial situations. please tell me more about how he put Ryan in a position to succeed in the SB. KYLE admitted his mistakes in that game so don't claim he had nothing to do with that loss as the OC.

All this love for running circles around teams like the Cards and Panthers in the regular season. I used to love it too, but if Kyle keeps getting outsmarted in the playoffs by coaches like Spags, then he's gotta change something up. We don't get to play the panthers in the playoffs

"Like Spags"

And who else?

We also win 2 playoff games every time, we aren't playing the Panthers in the playoffs. He's made the Packers/Cowboys his b***h as well, as well as the entire division. And he's been doing it with Jimmy and a 7th round pick.

You guys take all this for granted, a bunch of spoiled children that if they don't get their way they throw childlike fits.
[ Edited by GoreGoreGore on Jun 9, 2024 at 3:44 PM ]
This comment would have something behind it if Shanahan didn't win 2 playoff games every time his team made the playoffs.

The way you guys talk about the man paints him like Mike McCarthy the last few years but at the same time the way you talk about Kyle McCarthy is the better HC since all that matters is winning the SB and McCarthy has that.

Coaches don't get to play madden or simulate the outcome of a game strictly off their decisions. Players have to make plays. Players have to stay healthy.

The idea that Kyle didn't put his players in position to win the game is simply wrong in this last SB.

Sean McVay and Matt Stafford won the SB after getting a 3 point lead and then their defense held the Bengals from scoring - I've seen a bunch of Rams fans and some 49er fans act like they did something way more impressive than Purdy and Shanahan and yet it only seems that way because their defense stopped the Bengals.

Just how it works.

Aaron Donald doing Aaron Donald things.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Oscar8325:
Kyle was just ranked the 4th best coach in NFL. Behind Read, Tomlin and McVay. Can someone please tell me why McVay continues to be ranked ahead of Kyle? I think that is ridiculous!

Everybody has opinions, theirs and yours are as good as anybody's. Just my opinion, but if a Coach generally ends up deep in the playoffs and in the Superbowl twice in the last five years - he ain't doing too bad.

Yeah that's the hope. We have an excellent football mind, that's young, as our HC. We have a special young qb (IMO) that's accomplished a ton in just 1.5 years of playing. The most promising part is that the front office has shown the ability to continually find talent and manage the salary cap. Which should enable us to compete for a long time without everything being on our offense to out score everyone.

Agree 💯%. They've done well drafting in the late rounds. That always bodes well for long term success. Once you lose the position of drafting in pick 1, round 1 (example Bosa), drafting well and getting guys like Kittle, Warner, Jauan Jennings etc... in the later rounds - you will never really be in cap hell, and on top of that your super bowl window stays open. I mean getting a franchise QB like Purdy in the last pick of the draft - *THAT* is some drafting. Yeah, luck has a lot to do with Purdy, but still, ShanaLynch had enough on knowledge side to **actually pick him** vs UDFA says a lot about the current 49er brain trust.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I know it's only mini camp and there aren't pads but I'm really encouraged by what I'm hearing about the corners. I think we have a chance to do what KC did last year - which was have 4 awesome corners to compliment their pass rush and make it insanely hard for teams to score on them.

Demo & Mooney are studs. Apparently Luter and Yiadom look really good (I really liked Luter last year and was bummed that he got hurt). If we can have those four all play at a high level, coupled with our pass rush (should be highly improved with our signings)… man we would be a nightmare.

our defenses stats were misleading last year, IMO. So they can actually get back to 2019 or 2021 form… damn id love our chances.

Really just hoping our answer(s) at DC are a hit. I def think we have the players.

Yeah, I still don't know what to think about Nick Sorensen but the rest of the inexperienced guys Kyle hired ended up being slam dunks (saleh & demeco), so I'm optimistic. I really liked the Wilks hiring but that was a let down.

At least he's a guy who's familiar with our players and scheme, since he's been on the staff. Hopefully he's it's a seamless transition. I'm praying lol

The Wilks hire was good - or so I thought also. But the problem with Kyle's defense is that darn Wide 9. The Wide 9 Defensive line scheme is so weak - schematically - against the run that it takes a very good coach with good front 7 knowledge to defend the run with that scheme disadvantage, in my opinion. Wilks, I think, just didn't have that kind of experience. Sorensen knows the defense under Demeco, so that's a big positive. Wilks missed the point of having a huge tree stump in the middle of the defensive line despite this defense predominantly wanting (and needing) explosive gap penetrators.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

"Like Spags"

And who else?

We also win 2 playoff games every time, we aren't playing the Panthers in the playoffs. He's made the Packers/Cowboys his b***h as well, as well as the entire division. And he's been doing it with Jimmy and a 7th round pick.

You guys take all this for granted, a bunch of spoiled children that if they don't get their way they throw childlike fits.

Some of these posters came from the "If you stop crying, I'll buy you something generation" We came from the "If you don't stop crying, I'll give you something t cry about generation." We are not the same.
[ Edited by eastie on Jun 9, 2024 at 4:50 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
In my eyes, the proof is in the pudding with how guys did under Kyle and then under other coaches.

look at Jimmy in LV? Insane. Kyle was masking so many of his issues and putting him in position to succeed at a ridiculously high level. I always thought Jimmy was limited but a good qb overall. After seeing him in Vegas, it just made me realize how great of an offensive coach Kyle is.

Anyone who's objective would agree.

It's not really about developing. It's about putting them in a system that they can succeed in. That's the coaches job. The player's job is to develop their skill set and learn the nuances.

I don't think a lot of fans realize how the qb training/development actually goes.

this is my understanding and I may be off by some, but Kyle and the QB coach review film, practice tape, plays, defenses etc with each other and go over how to execute plays. What went wrong etc.

at the end of the season (and even during to an extent) - the coaches let the players know what they'd like to see the qb improve upon, such as footwork, mechanics etc. then in the off season they grind on that on their own (usually with an off season coach).

is that about accurate?

Agree with both that it takes a QB and a Coach to tango. You have to have a player like Purdy who really wants to master his craft, and a guy like Kaepernick/Trey who had all the physical tools in the world to succeed in the NFL, add in the Coach that can take advantage of said players talent. Purdy isn't going to wow you with is 40 yard time, or regularly throw 80+ yards downfield off his back foot, but our coach can definitely scheme an offense that enhances his ceiling and minimizes his floor.

Jimmy is old. He's been injured so often and the Josh McDaniels raider offense is so pass centric (I don't think he has a real run game) that is well designed to go with his pass happy offense, that I think it really hurt Jimmy. I think Josh was fired early for good reason. Jimmy was used to having guys like Mitchell and CMC to fake to, that him having to straight drop back, he just wasn't used to it in my opinion (because of Kyle's QB friendly offense) and then got injured - yet again.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Just how it works.

Agree, and it makes sense - in a way - that Kyle scores on teams in the super bowl, gets a lead -- and loses it. I think it's because of his defenses. One of Walsh's earliest coaching positions was defensive backfield coach, for Marve Leavy. So Walsh got introduced to defense early in his career also with Paul Brown. Paul Brown had one great defenses in his day. To a certain extent - if there is a weakness in Kyle's coaching - it's defense. His defenses can't hold leads.

Now having said that, Kyle's learning, always learning. He's moved on from the statue Kirk Cousins type QB to the Trey/Purdy mobile QB's, and so on and so forth. He's learning the defense via experiencing it at the highest levels. He also has a great defensive coaching background by learning defense form Monte Kiffen. Coaching is also about experience as well as having great technical scheme and strategy. One big change Kyle has made, has been more emphasis on the defensive backfield *as well as* the Defensive line. (example: he's drafted 4 Db's the last two drafts, and two of them came in the Day 1 and Day 2 range). Prior to 2022, Kyle's drafted DB's mostly in the Day 3 range.
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
I remember spending alllll summer debating with people here how amazingly stupid designed runs were for QBs. All summer... You can say it was chance but to me it was common sense.

Yeah you're right doesn't work for any QB in the league lol. Dude got hurt originally busting his hand off a lineman's helmet. Again keep s**t real
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
I remember spending alllll summer debating with people here how amazingly stupid designed runs were for QBs. All summer... You can say it was chance but to me it was common sense.

Yeah you're right doesn't work for any QB in the league lol. Dude got hurt originally busting his hand off a lineman's helmet. Again keep s**t real

Design runs work for some. Never worked for Trey. He simply would get walloped nearly every time. I don't blame Kyle for Trey. I just don't think he knew what to do with him. He then stopped trying and moved on because he witnessed what we all did with Brock. I am convinced though if we did not have Brock Trey would have failed under Kyle. Just not a good fit. He needs them functioning not raw.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Just how it works.

Agree, and it makes sense - in a way - that Kyle scores on teams in the super bowl, gets a lead -- and loses it. I think it's because of his defenses. One of Walsh's earliest coaching positions was defensive backfield coach, for Marve Leavy. So Walsh got introduced to defense early in his career also with Paul Brown. Paul Brown had one great defenses in his day. To a certain extent - if there is a weakness in Kyle's coaching - it's defense. His defenses can't hold leads.

Now having said that, Kyle's learning, always learning. He's moved on from the statue Kirk Cousins type QB to the Trey/Purdy mobile QB's, and so on and so forth. He's learning the defense via experiencing it at the highest levels. He also has a great defensive coaching background by learning defense form Monte Kiffen. Coaching is also about experience as well as having great technical scheme and strategy. One big change Kyle has made, has been more emphasis on the defensive backfield *as well as* the Defensive line. (example: he's drafted 4 Db's the last two drafts, and two of them came in the Day 1 and Day 2 range). Prior to 2022, Kyle's drafted DB's mostly in the Day 3 range.
How about he learns how to score and win in the 4th? Or maybe how to comeback and win games that are close. Taking a lead and sitting on it has not worked. You need to keep scoring and field goals against kc mean nothing. Especially when you already miss one or two in a game. Score to win. Play solid d to put you in a position to win. Don't go up 10 and hope for the best.
How about he learns how to score and win in the 4th? Or maybe how to comeback and win games that are close. Taking a lead and sitting on it has not worked. You need to keep scoring and field goals against kc mean nothing. Especially when you already miss one or two in a game. Score to win. Play solid d to put you in a position to win. Don't go up 10 and hope for the best.

Look at the way he was running it up no mercy in Atlantas playoff run. That was Kyles style, but the 28-3 disaster has had him shook ever since. He wants to be that free run it up pre 28-3 Kyle, but the mental damage is done. Perfect example is the drive before halftime in the 2019 SB. Does he want be conservative? Does he want to be aggressive? He doesn't really know which way to go anymore
Share 49ersWebzone