49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
I remember spending alllll summer debating with people here how amazingly stupid designed runs were for QBs. All summer... You can say it was chance but to me it was common sense.

Yeah you're right doesn't work for any QB in the league lol. Dude got hurt originally busting his hand off a lineman's helmet. Again keep s**t real

Design runs work for some. Never worked for Trey. He simply would get walloped nearly every time. I don't blame Kyle for Trey. I just don't think he knew what to do with him. He then stopped trying and moved on because he witnessed what we all did with Brock. I am convinced though if we did not have Brock Trey would have failed under Kyle. Just not a good fit. He needs them functioning not raw.

Kyle would have moved on from Trey, just as he moved on from Jimmy - if Brock/Trey didn't pan out. Having said that, Kyle would have made Trey functional, despite his rawness and limited skill set. I think Kyle is that good a offensive coach. Keep in mind the next year - he brought in Sam Darnold, so most likely if Purdy was another CJ BeatHard, Sam would have been our QB this year if no Purdy.

Personally, I think Trey will eventually develop, but then again I'm an eternal optimist.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
He did not develop matt Ryan sorry. That's just dumb, take Brock out who is left? A real line up of hofmers… thanks for making my point. Jimmy g…. lol. Nick who?…. Yeah. Ok.

Develop him, no. He just coordinated him to having the best year of his career and the best offense he ever was a part of. One of the best seasons a QB has ever had, and arguably the single most efficient. Matt Ryan! Lol. Consistently put him in position to maximize his ability.

He coordinated him to lose a Super Bowl then came here and did the thing 2x . 12 points in the 4th quarter of 3 games. Offensive genius. Electric offense…. He folds when it counts most. That's a little bit execution and a lot of bad play calling in crucial situations. please tell me more about how he put Ryan in a position to succeed in the SB. KYLE admitted his mistakes in that game so don't claim he had nothing to do with that loss as the OC.

All this love for running circles around teams like the Cards and Panthers in the regular season. I used to love it too, but if Kyle keeps getting outsmarted in the playoffs by coaches like Spags, then he's gotta change something up. We don't get to play the panthers in the playoffs

This comment would have something behind it if Shanahan didn't win 2 playoff games every time his team made the playoffs.

The way you guys talk about the man paints him like Mike McCarthy the last few years but at the same time the way you talk about Kyle McCarthy is the better HC since all that matters is winning the SB and McCarthy has that.

Coaches don't get to play madden or simulate the outcome of a game strictly off their decisions. Players have to make plays. Players have to stay healthy.

The idea that Kyle didn't put his players in position to win the game is simply wrong in this last SB.

Sean McVay and Matt Stafford won the SB after getting a 3 point lead and then their defense held the Bengals from scoring - I've seen a bunch of Rams fans and some 49er fans act like they did something way more impressive than Purdy and Shanahan and yet it only seems that way because their defense stopped the Bengals.

Just how it works.

Agree, and it makes sense - in a way - that Kyle scores on teams in the super bowl, gets a lead -- and loses it. I think it's because of his defenses. One of Walsh's earliest coaching positions was defensive backfield coach, for Marve Leavy. So Walsh got introduced to defense early in his career also with Paul Brown. Paul Brown had one great defenses in his day. To a certain extent - if there is a weakness in Kyle's coaching - it's defense. His defenses can't hold leads.

Now having said that, Kyle's learning, always learning. He's moved on from the statue Kirk Cousins type QB to the Trey/Purdy mobile QB's, and so on and so forth. He's learning the defense via experiencing it at the highest levels. He also has a great defensive coaching background by learning defense form Monte Kiffen. Coaching is also about experience as well as having great technical scheme and strategy. One big change Kyle has made, has been more emphasis on the defensive backfield *as well as* the Defensive line. (example: he's drafted 4 Db's the last two drafts, and two of them came in the Day 1 and Day 2 range). Prior to 2022, Kyle's drafted DB's mostly in the Day 3 range.
How about he learns how to score and win in the 4th? Or maybe how to comeback and win games that are close. Taking a lead and sitting on it has not worked. You need to keep scoring and field goals against kc mean nothing. Especially when you already miss one or two in a game. Score to win. Play solid d to put you in a position to win. Don't go up 10 and hope for the best.

Sitting on leads worked with Walsh. One reason is that he had a complete defenses. Kyle's defenses have been DLine overloaded. He's had great Linebackers and so-so defensive backs generally speaking. So offensive teams will pick on his DB's for good reason and while Kyle is trying to run out the clock, guys like Spagnolo will overload the run and Reid will burn his DB's.

One reason I'm confident that Kyle is learning is the way he's changed his drafting emphasis (or so it seems to me). Drafting DB's and Offensive Linemen higher than he has in the past. Purdy was pure luck, but he would not have been even drafted had Kyle been focused on Pocket QB's that can't run (Example: Kirk Cousins).
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
He did not develop matt Ryan sorry. That's just dumb, take Brock out who is left? A real line up of hofmers… thanks for making my point. Jimmy g…. lol. Nick who?…. Yeah. Ok.

Develop him, no. He just coordinated him to having the best year of his career and the best offense he ever was a part of. One of the best seasons a QB has ever had, and arguably the single most efficient. Matt Ryan! Lol. Consistently put him in position to maximize his ability.

He coordinated him to lose a Super Bowl then came here and did the thing 2x . 12 points in the 4th quarter of 3 games. Offensive genius. Electric offense…. He folds when it counts most. That's a little bit execution and a lot of bad play calling in crucial situations. please tell me more about how he put Ryan in a position to succeed in the SB. KYLE admitted his mistakes in that game so don't claim he had nothing to do with that loss as the OC.

All this love for running circles around teams like the Cards and Panthers in the regular season. I used to love it too, but if Kyle keeps getting outsmarted in the playoffs by coaches like Spags, then he's gotta change something up. We don't get to play the panthers in the playoffs

"Like Spags"

And who else?

We also win 2 playoff games every time, we aren't playing the Panthers in the playoffs. He's made the Packers/Cowboys his b***h as well, as well as the entire division. And he's been doing it with Jimmy and a 7th round pick.

You guys take all this for granted, a bunch of spoiled children that if they don't get their way they throw childlike fits.

Some of these posters came from the "If you stop crying, I'll buy you something generation" We came from the "If you don't stop crying, I'll give you something t cry about generation." We are not the same.

Originally posted by eastie:

"Like Spags"

And who else?

We also win 2 playoff games every time, we aren't playing the Panthers in the playoffs. He's made the Packers/Cowboys his b***h as well, as well as the entire division. And he's been doing it with Jimmy and a 7th round pick.

You guys take all this for granted, a bunch of spoiled children that if they don't get their way they throw childlike fits.

Some of these posters came from the "If you stop crying, I'll buy you something generation" We came from the "If you don't stop crying, I'll give you something t cry about generation." We are not the same.

LOL!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
I remember spending alllll summer debating with people here how amazingly stupid designed runs were for QBs. All summer... You can say it was chance but to me it was common sense.

Yeah you're right doesn't work for any QB in the league lol. Dude got hurt originally busting his hand off a lineman's helmet. Again keep s**t real

Design runs work for some. Never worked for Trey. He simply would get walloped nearly every time. I don't blame Kyle for Trey. I just don't think he knew what to do with him. He then stopped trying and moved on because he witnessed what we all did with Brock. I am convinced though if we did not have Brock Trey would have failed under Kyle. Just not a good fit. He needs them functioning not raw.

Kyle would have moved on from Trey, just as he moved on from Jimmy - if Brock/Trey didn't pan out. Having said that, Kyle would have made Trey functional, despite his rawness and limited skill set. I think Kyle is that good a offensive coach. Keep in mind the next year - he brought in Sam Darnold, so most likely if Purdy was another CJ BeatHard, Sam would have been our QB this year if no Purdy.

Personally, I think Trey will eventually develop, but then again I'm an eternal optimist.

I am pulling for him. He has a ton of potential.

This comment would have something behind it if Shanahan didn't win 2 playoff games every time his team made the playoffs.

The way you guys talk about the man paints him like Mike McCarthy the last few years but at the same time the way you talk about Kyle McCarthy is the better HC since all that matters is winning the SB and McCarthy has that.

Coaches don't get to play madden or simulate the outcome of a game strictly off their decisions. Players have to make plays. Players have to stay healthy.

The idea that Kyle didn't put his players in position to win the game is simply wrong in this last SB.

Sean McVay and Matt Stafford won the SB after getting a 3 point lead and then their defense held the Bengals from scoring - I've seen a bunch of Rams fans and some 49er fans act like they did something way more impressive than Purdy and Shanahan and yet it only seems that way because their defense stopped the Bengals.

Just how it works.

Agree, and it makes sense - in a way - that Kyle scores on teams in the super bowl, gets a lead -- and loses it. I think it's because of his defenses. One of Walsh's earliest coaching positions was defensive backfield coach, for Marve Leavy. So Walsh got introduced to defense early in his career also with Paul Brown. Paul Brown had one great defenses in his day. To a certain extent - if there is a weakness in Kyle's coaching - it's defense. His defenses can't hold leads.

Now having said that, Kyle's learning, always learning. He's moved on from the statue Kirk Cousins type QB to the Trey/Purdy mobile QB's, and so on and so forth. He's learning the defense via experiencing it at the highest levels. He also has a great defensive coaching background by learning defense form Monte Kiffen. Coaching is also about experience as well as having great technical scheme and strategy. One big change Kyle has made, has been more emphasis on the defensive backfield *as well as* the Defensive line. (example: he's drafted 4 Db's the last two drafts, and two of them came in the Day 1 and Day 2 range). Prior to 2022, Kyle's drafted DB's mostly in the Day 3 range.
How about he learns how to score and win in the 4th? Or maybe how to comeback and win games that are close. Taking a lead and sitting on it has not worked. You need to keep scoring and field goals against kc mean nothing. Especially when you already miss one or two in a game. Score to win. Play solid d to put you in a position to win. Don't go up 10 and hope for the best.

Sitting on leads worked with Walsh. One reason is that he had a complete defenses. Kyle's defenses have been DLine overloaded. He's had great Linebackers and so-so defensive backs generally speaking. So offensive teams will pick on his DB's for good reason and while Kyle is trying to run out the clock, guys like Spagnolo will overload the run and Reid will burn his DB's.

One reason I'm confident that Kyle is learning is the way he's changed his drafting emphasis (or so it seems to me). Drafting DB's and Offensive Linemen higher than he has in the past. Purdy was pure luck, but he would not have been even drafted had Kyle been focused on Pocket QB's that can't run (Example: Kirk Cousins).
From your lips to god's ears. I hope you are right. I would love nothing more than to eat my words and admit my errors.

You mean ALL of the things that happened during this last playoff run? I swear some of you are so eager to bash Kyle that you let facts completely fall by the wayside.

We OUTSCORED KC in the 4th quarter. Yet I still see people acting like it's 2019 all over again. It's not. Adjust your narratives accordingly or get called out for it.

You can't win every SB in a blowout. Sometimes it's a close game and things don't go perfect and you don't have a large lead to hold and you need your defense to get a stop.

You want to know how many coaches got a lead late but needed their defense to hold it? Mike Tomlin did. Mike McCarthy did. Sean McVay did. Belichick won several with his defense getting the stop.

49ers took the lead vs KC twice in the 4th quarter and in OT. The defense gave up the lead each time with OT being the game winning TD. Granted Moody getting the XP blocked helped the defense surrender the lead but it's possible we also don't even make OT if KC knows they have to score a TD on their final drive in the 4th quarter. They had it 2nd and 10 with 6 seconds left and a timeout. Who knows if the defense holds there or we lose in an even more frustrating way.

Look at the way he was running it up no mercy in Atlantas playoff run. That was Kyles style, but the 28-3 disaster has had him shook ever since. He wants to be that free run it up pre 28-3 Kyle, but the mental damage is done. Perfect example is the drive before halftime in the 2019 SB. Does he want be conservative? Does he want to be aggressive? He doesn't really know which way to go anymore

That's called Jimmy G/Patrick Mahomes effect.

He didn't trust Jimmy in an obvious pass situation in their own territory and with us getting the ball back to start the 2nd half and didn't want that version of Patrick Mahomes getting a chance to score again before the half. I can guarantee you had the same situation happened in this SB he would not hesitate at all.
From your lips to god's ears. I hope you are right. I would love nothing more than to eat my words and admit my errors.

Dont believe that for a second
  • thl408

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Dont believe that for a second

The point of being a fan is to have your team win. Not sure what you don't believe? If I am wrong that means we win number 6 and Kyle figured out how to win a sb. Believe it bub.
Originally posted by thl408:

Let me beat them to the punch

"Sure but how many when it really counts!?"
Let me beat them to the punch

"Sure but how many when it really counts!?"

30+ yds in the SB, it looks like 0. in 5 qtrs. our O all postseason looked poor imo
The point of being a fan is to have your team win. Not sure what you don't believe? If I am wrong that means we win number 6 and Kyle figured out how to win a sb. Believe it bub.

You would be happy about the win sure. But admitting your errors and eating your words? Not likely.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
30+ yds in the SB, it looks like 0. in 5 qtrs. our O all postseason looked poor imo

Yet still far better than the defense did. Just needed stops vs Green Bay and Detroit to actually give them the opportunities to be successful.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jun 10, 2024 at 9:47 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone