LISTEN: Patriots Preview With WEEI's Nick "Fitzy” & CMC's Germany Trip →

There are 234 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

25 team's would fire their HC on the spot if Kyle became available and a couple others would be tempted to. And then everyone would laugh at the Niners asking WTF are they doing.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by boast:
yeah i really liked the WZ article about Lawrence Pillers and his strip sack that ended The Catch game. The Catch wouldve meant nothing had the defense not done their job during the last possession of the game.

In this last SB, the offense left the field in OT with a lead. it was the defense that ultimately lost the game.

laugh all you want. what i say is true.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
25 team's would fire their HC on the spot if Kyle became available and a couple others would be tempted to. And then everyone would laugh at the Niners asking WTF are they doing.

Not true. His history of failing when it counts most gives owners pause. He is not the football god folks in here think he is. Now put a ring on and I may agree with you.
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:

Not true. His history of failing when it counts most gives owners pause. He is not the football god folks in here think he is. Now put a ring on and I may agree with you.

Was a horse collar tackle away from not happenning.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
He did not develop matt Ryan sorry. That's just dumb, take Brock out who is left? A real line up of hofmers… thanks for making my point. Jimmy g…. lol. Nick who?…. Yeah. Ok.

Develop him, no. He just coordinated him to having the best year of his career and the best offense he ever was a part of. One of the best seasons a QB has ever had, and arguably the single most efficient. Matt Ryan! Lol. Consistently put him in position to maximize his ability.

He coordinated him to lose a Super Bowl then came here and did the thing 2x . 12 points in the 4th quarter of 3 games. Offensive genius. Electric offense…. He folds when it counts most. That's a little bit execution and a lot of bad play calling in crucial situations. please tell me more about how he put Ryan in a position to succeed in the SB. KYLE admitted his mistakes in that game so don't claim he had nothing to do with that loss as the OC.

All this love for running circles around teams like the Cards and Panthers in the regular season. I used to love it too, but if Kyle keeps getting outsmarted in the playoffs by coaches like Spags, then he's gotta change something up. We don't get to play the panthers in the playoffs

This comment would have something behind it if Shanahan didn't win 2 playoff games every time his team made the playoffs.

The way you guys talk about the man paints him like Mike McCarthy the last few years but at the same time the way you talk about Kyle McCarthy is the better HC since all that matters is winning the SB and McCarthy has that.

Coaches don't get to play madden or simulate the outcome of a game strictly off their decisions. Players have to make plays. Players have to stay healthy.

The idea that Kyle didn't put his players in position to win the game is simply wrong in this last SB.

Sean McVay and Matt Stafford won the SB after getting a 3 point lead and then their defense held the Bengals from scoring - I've seen a bunch of Rams fans and some 49er fans act like they did something way more impressive than Purdy and Shanahan and yet it only seems that way because their defense stopped the Bengals.

Just how it works.

Agree, and it makes sense - in a way - that Kyle scores on teams in the super bowl, gets a lead -- and loses it. I think it's because of his defenses. One of Walsh's earliest coaching positions was defensive backfield coach, for Marve Leavy. So Walsh got introduced to defense early in his career also with Paul Brown. Paul Brown had one great defenses in his day. To a certain extent - if there is a weakness in Kyle's coaching - it's defense. His defenses can't hold leads.

Now having said that, Kyle's learning, always learning. He's moved on from the statue Kirk Cousins type QB to the Trey/Purdy mobile QB's, and so on and so forth. He's learning the defense via experiencing it at the highest levels. He also has a great defensive coaching background by learning defense form Monte Kiffen. Coaching is also about experience as well as having great technical scheme and strategy. One big change Kyle has made, has been more emphasis on the defensive backfield *as well as* the Defensive line. (example: he's drafted 4 Db's the last two drafts, and two of them came in the Day 1 and Day 2 range). Prior to 2022, Kyle's drafted DB's mostly in the Day 3 range.
How about he learns how to score and win in the 4th? Or maybe how to comeback and win games that are close. Taking a lead and sitting on it has not worked. You need to keep scoring and field goals against kc mean nothing. Especially when you already miss one or two in a game. Score to win. Play solid d to put you in a position to win. Don't go up 10 and hope for the best.

Sitting on leads worked with Walsh. One reason is that he had a complete defenses. Kyle's defenses have been DLine overloaded. He's had great Linebackers and so-so defensive backs generally speaking. So offensive teams will pick on his DB's for good reason and while Kyle is trying to run out the clock, guys like Spagnolo will overload the run and Reid will burn his DB's.

One reason I'm confident that Kyle is learning is the way he's changed his drafting emphasis (or so it seems to me). Drafting DB's and Offensive Linemen higher than he has in the past. Purdy was pure luck, but he would not have been even drafted had Kyle been focused on Pocket QB's that can't run (Example: Kirk Cousins).
From your lips to god's ears. I hope you are right. I would love nothing more than to eat my words and admit my errors.

Kyle's last two drafts didn't result in a all-pro player. He's due for at least one (if not more) and that might put the 49ers over the top this year. If they manage to keep the core together for this next run. (See Brandon Aiyuk negotiations) we shall see.🙏🙏🙏
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
I hope everyone can find a happy place about Kyle as this is the biggest year in 49er history (team v expectation), we need all the positivity we can get.

This can't help but be a good year with all the all-pro players they are keeping and extending. Extending Trent Williams another year or two will probably add 10+ million to the cap space (i defer to our resident cap genius AB81 if I'm wrong ). But that should help sign Brandon Aiyuk this year, and if Trent retires after a superbowl win, I expect half his cap space reassigned to Brock in 2025.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Funny how playing one of the best secondaries and defenses in the NFL can hurt your ability to hit big plays

Our offense played in the rain where Deebo got hurt early on. They scored 24 points. They scored 34 vs Detroit.

So basically a game where elements and injury played a factor and the SB vs the 2nd best defense in the regular season and clearly the best defense in the postseason with one of the best defensive minds on defense calling plays for them.

Offense was not the problem until they played KC and even then they should've done enough had the defense done their job in crunch time.

yeah i really liked the WZ article reminding everyone that Lawrence Pillers and his strip sack ended The Catch game. The Catch wouldve meant nothing had the defense not done their job during the last possession of the game.

In this last SB, the offense left the field in OT with a lead. it was the defense that ultimately lost the game.

Yeah, that loss cost Wilks his job. At least Kyle doesn't suffer fools lightly. Not calling Wilks a fool, but I am pointing out that if Kyle thinks a coach or a player isn't up to snuff - he's going to change it. That also includes himself too. We are blessed to have such a young and talented head coach - working for Jed.
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
He did not develop matt Ryan sorry. That's just dumb, take Brock out who is left? A real line up of hofmers… thanks for making my point. Jimmy g…. lol. Nick who?…. Yeah. Ok.

Develop him, no. He just coordinated him to having the best year of his career and the best offense he ever was a part of. One of the best seasons a QB has ever had, and arguably the single most efficient. Matt Ryan! Lol. Consistently put him in position to maximize his ability.

He coordinated him to lose a Super Bowl then came here and did the thing 2x . 12 points in the 4th quarter of 3 games. Offensive genius. Electric offense…. He folds when it counts most. That's a little bit execution and a lot of bad play calling in crucial situations. please tell me more about how he put Ryan in a position to succeed in the SB. KYLE admitted his mistakes in that game so don't claim he had nothing to do with that loss as the OC.

All this love for running circles around teams like the Cards and Panthers in the regular season. I used to love it too, but if Kyle keeps getting outsmarted in the playoffs by coaches like Spags, then he's gotta change something up. We don't get to play the panthers in the playoffs

This comment would have something behind it if Shanahan didn't win 2 playoff games every time his team made the playoffs.

The way you guys talk about the man paints him like Mike McCarthy the last few years but at the same time the way you talk about Kyle McCarthy is the better HC since all that matters is winning the SB and McCarthy has that.

Coaches don't get to play madden or simulate the outcome of a game strictly off their decisions. Players have to make plays. Players have to stay healthy.

The idea that Kyle didn't put his players in position to win the game is simply wrong in this last SB.

Sean McVay and Matt Stafford won the SB after getting a 3 point lead and then their defense held the Bengals from scoring - I've seen a bunch of Rams fans and some 49er fans act like they did something way more impressive than Purdy and Shanahan and yet it only seems that way because their defense stopped the Bengals.

Just how it works.

Agree, and it makes sense - in a way - that Kyle scores on teams in the super bowl, gets a lead -- and loses it. I think it's because of his defenses. One of Walsh's earliest coaching positions was defensive backfield coach, for Marve Leavy. So Walsh got introduced to defense early in his career also with Paul Brown. Paul Brown had one great defenses in his day. To a certain extent - if there is a weakness in Kyle's coaching - it's defense. His defenses can't hold leads.

Now having said that, Kyle's learning, always learning. He's moved on from the statue Kirk Cousins type QB to the Trey/Purdy mobile QB's, and so on and so forth. He's learning the defense via experiencing it at the highest levels. He also has a great defensive coaching background by learning defense form Monte Kiffen. Coaching is also about experience as well as having great technical scheme and strategy. One big change Kyle has made, has been more emphasis on the defensive backfield *as well as* the Defensive line. (example: he's drafted 4 Db's the last two drafts, and two of them came in the Day 1 and Day 2 range). Prior to 2022, Kyle's drafted DB's mostly in the Day 3 range.
How about he learns how to score and win in the 4th? Or maybe how to comeback and win games that are close. Taking a lead and sitting on it has not worked. You need to keep scoring and field goals against kc mean nothing. Especially when you already miss one or two in a game. Score to win. Play solid d to put you in a position to win. Don't go up 10 and hope for the best.

Sitting on leads worked with Walsh. One reason is that he had a complete defenses. Kyle's defenses have been DLine overloaded. He's had great Linebackers and so-so defensive backs generally speaking. So offensive teams will pick on his DB's for good reason and while Kyle is trying to run out the clock, guys like Spagnolo will overload the run and Reid will burn his DB's.

One reason I'm confident that Kyle is learning is the way he's changed his drafting emphasis (or so it seems to me). Drafting DB's and Offensive Linemen higher than he has in the past. Purdy was pure luck, but he would not have been even drafted had Kyle been focused on Pocket QB's that can't run (Example: Kirk Cousins).
From your lips to god's ears. I hope you are right. I would love nothing more than to eat my words and admit my errors.

Kyle's last two drafts didn't result in a all-pro player. He's due for at least one (if not more) and that might put the 49ers over the top this year. If they manage to keep the core together for this next run. (See Brandon Aiyuk negotiations) we shall see.🙏🙏🙏

Getting a franchise QB in the 7th round is pretty good lol.

Before that we had Hufanga get All Pro. Lenoir should be in the running from that class as well.

This prior draft has some promising players as well.

Hoping this class ends up being one of our best in a while since we need to hit on our top 3 picks at least as they would be key replacements in key spots if they hit.
Yeah, that loss cost Wilks his job. At least Kyle doesn't suffer fools lightly. Not calling Wilks a fool, but I am pointing out that if Kyle thinks a coach or a player isn't up to snuff - he's going to change it. That also includes himself too. We are blessed to have such a young and talented head coach - working for Jed.

Personally think he was getting fired win or lose. Defense played well in the game, though they weren't facing a very good offense. The season long picture was a disappointment.

Honestly I think Wilks was going to get fired either way and overall it was one of his better games but those final two drives were awful. He just didn't help our players at all. No wonder they were so frustrated.

You have a 4th and 1 to win the SB and you have both safeties like 20 yards from the play. I get you don't wanna get beat for the game winning TD but you gotta trust that you can get to a team who hardly threw deep all year. At least being down one of your safeties and get an extra guy in the box to knife through and make a play.

Or don't drop back into soft coverage when your guys get a good negative play on 1st down and give them an easier 3rd down attempt.

Not to mention the lack of effort the defense was displaying heading into that game in the playoffs was scary. And it was never like that under Kyle before. That tells me the reason was Wilks.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Was a horse collar tackle away from not happenning.

Yeah, that -- and I think Eric Wright extended his entire 6'2" to get that horse collar tackle before Pillars caused the turnover. Two great *defensive* plays to salt that game away.

You're delusional. His history is getting the team he coaches into the playoffs on the regular. Football people know that it is getting into the tournament that matters. Kyle does it consistently. All you guys whining about not winning the ring sound like a bunch of spoiled children, because that's what you are, spoiled kids. You come in here and throw your temper tantrums, screaming and kicking your feet. " If I can't be Captain, I'm taking my ball and going home"...Forty Whiners for sure.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Honestly I think Wilks was going to get fired either way and overall it was one of his better games but those final two drives were awful. He just didn't help our players at all. No wonder they were so frustrated.

You have a 4th and 1 to win the SB and you have both safeties like 20 yards from the play. I get you don't wanna get beat for the game winning TD but you gotta trust that you can get to a team who hardly threw deep all year. At least being down one of your safeties and get an extra guy in the box to knife through and make a play.

Or don't drop back into soft coverage when your guys get a good negative play on 1st down and give them an easier 3rd down attempt.

Not to mention the lack of effort the defense was displaying heading into that game in the playoffs was scary. And it was never like that under Kyle before. That tells me the reason was Wilks.

Agree with your points. I'll just add that Wilks couldn't absorb the back end of the Pete Carroll's pattern matching cover 3 zone defense. I read up on it after Wilks was fired and it takes a ton of experience to coach it and play in it. I think that is one big reason Fangio doesn't play rookie DBs on his defense. The rules are - somewhat- simple, but the permutations off the various kinds of offenses (3 - wide, ground and pound, air Coryell, wco etc..) are astoundingly complicated.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

Just one team with more SB appearances than us. NE with 11. They've won one more than us. Pittsburg. Dallas, and us are tied at 8. The Steelers have won one more than us, 6. We are tied with Dallas at 5 wins. I don't know what history you're looking at, but we are in elite company.
Share 49ersWebzone