There are 162 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
25 team's would fire their HC on the spot if Kyle became available and a couple others would be tempted to. And then everyone would laugh at the Niners asking WTF are they doing.

Not true. His history of failing when it counts most gives owners pause. He is not the football god folks in here think he is. Now put a ring on and I may agree with you.

You're so smart.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
He did not develop matt Ryan sorry. That's just dumb, take Brock out who is left? A real line up of hofmers… thanks for making my point. Jimmy g…. lol. Nick who?…. Yeah. Ok.

Develop him, no. He just coordinated him to having the best year of his career and the best offense he ever was a part of. One of the best seasons a QB has ever had, and arguably the single most efficient. Matt Ryan! Lol. Consistently put him in position to maximize his ability.

He coordinated him to lose a Super Bowl then came here and did the thing 2x . 12 points in the 4th quarter of 3 games. Offensive genius. Electric offense…. He folds when it counts most. That's a little bit execution and a lot of bad play calling in crucial situations. please tell me more about how he put Ryan in a position to succeed in the SB. KYLE admitted his mistakes in that game so don't claim he had nothing to do with that loss as the OC.

All this love for running circles around teams like the Cards and Panthers in the regular season. I used to love it too, but if Kyle keeps getting outsmarted in the playoffs by coaches like Spags, then he's gotta change something up. We don't get to play the panthers in the playoffs

This comment would have something behind it if Shanahan didn't win 2 playoff games every time his team made the playoffs.

The way you guys talk about the man paints him like Mike McCarthy the last few years but at the same time the way you talk about Kyle McCarthy is the better HC since all that matters is winning the SB and McCarthy has that.

Coaches don't get to play madden or simulate the outcome of a game strictly off their decisions. Players have to make plays. Players have to stay healthy.

The idea that Kyle didn't put his players in position to win the game is simply wrong in this last SB.

Sean McVay and Matt Stafford won the SB after getting a 3 point lead and then their defense held the Bengals from scoring - I've seen a bunch of Rams fans and some 49er fans act like they did something way more impressive than Purdy and Shanahan and yet it only seems that way because their defense stopped the Bengals.

Just how it works.

Agree, and it makes sense - in a way - that Kyle scores on teams in the super bowl, gets a lead -- and loses it. I think it's because of his defenses. One of Walsh's earliest coaching positions was defensive backfield coach, for Marve Leavy. So Walsh got introduced to defense early in his career also with Paul Brown. Paul Brown had one great defenses in his day. To a certain extent - if there is a weakness in Kyle's coaching - it's defense. His defenses can't hold leads.

Now having said that, Kyle's learning, always learning. He's moved on from the statue Kirk Cousins type QB to the Trey/Purdy mobile QB's, and so on and so forth. He's learning the defense via experiencing it at the highest levels. He also has a great defensive coaching background by learning defense form Monte Kiffen. Coaching is also about experience as well as having great technical scheme and strategy. One big change Kyle has made, has been more emphasis on the defensive backfield *as well as* the Defensive line. (example: he's drafted 4 Db's the last two drafts, and two of them came in the Day 1 and Day 2 range). Prior to 2022, Kyle's drafted DB's mostly in the Day 3 range.
How about he learns how to score and win in the 4th? Or maybe how to comeback and win games that are close. Taking a lead and sitting on it has not worked. You need to keep scoring and field goals against kc mean nothing. Especially when you already miss one or two in a game. Score to win. Play solid d to put you in a position to win. Don't go up 10 and hope for the best.

Sitting on leads worked with Walsh. One reason is that he had a complete defenses. Kyle's defenses have been DLine overloaded. He's had great Linebackers and so-so defensive backs generally speaking. So offensive teams will pick on his DB's for good reason and while Kyle is trying to run out the clock, guys like Spagnolo will overload the run and Reid will burn his DB's.

One reason I'm confident that Kyle is learning is the way he's changed his drafting emphasis (or so it seems to me). Drafting DB's and Offensive Linemen higher than he has in the past. Purdy was pure luck, but he would not have been even drafted had Kyle been focused on Pocket QB's that can't run (Example: Kirk Cousins).
From your lips to god's ears. I hope you are right. I would love nothing more than to eat my words and admit my errors.

Kyle's last two drafts didn't result in a all-pro player. He's due for at least one (if not more) and that might put the 49ers over the top this year. If they manage to keep the core together for this next run. (See Brandon Aiyuk negotiations) we shall see.🙏🙏🙏

Getting a franchise QB in the 7th round is pretty good lol.

Before that we had Hufanga get All Pro. Lenoir should be in the running from that class as well.

This prior draft has some promising players as well.

Hoping this class ends up being one of our best in a while since we need to hit on our top 3 picks at least as they would be key replacements in key spots if they hit.

Getting a franchise QB in the 7th is 99% luck and 1% skill in my opinion. But because Kyle is such a good offensive coach - probably only a hall of fame level coach can pull something off like that. Coaches that can get franchise QBs after the 7th round, are - most likely - in the hall of fame.

Credit 1,000% to Kyle for keeping Brock on the team vs mediocre coaches like Mooch for letting QBs like Kurt Warner go into free agency. I belive Walsh was the guy that also kept bringing Jeff Garcia back after Mooch kept cutting him - but I don't have much proof of that.
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
He did not develop matt Ryan sorry. That's just dumb, take Brock out who is left? A real line up of hofmers… thanks for making my point. Jimmy g…. lol. Nick who?…. Yeah. Ok.

Develop him, no. He just coordinated him to having the best year of his career and the best offense he ever was a part of. One of the best seasons a QB has ever had, and arguably the single most efficient. Matt Ryan! Lol. Consistently put him in position to maximize his ability.

He coordinated him to lose a Super Bowl then came here and did the thing 2x . 12 points in the 4th quarter of 3 games. Offensive genius. Electric offense…. He folds when it counts most. That's a little bit execution and a lot of bad play calling in crucial situations. please tell me more about how he put Ryan in a position to succeed in the SB. KYLE admitted his mistakes in that game so don't claim he had nothing to do with that loss as the OC.

All this love for running circles around teams like the Cards and Panthers in the regular season. I used to love it too, but if Kyle keeps getting outsmarted in the playoffs by coaches like Spags, then he's gotta change something up. We don't get to play the panthers in the playoffs

This comment would have something behind it if Shanahan didn't win 2 playoff games every time his team made the playoffs.

The way you guys talk about the man paints him like Mike McCarthy the last few years but at the same time the way you talk about Kyle McCarthy is the better HC since all that matters is winning the SB and McCarthy has that.

Coaches don't get to play madden or simulate the outcome of a game strictly off their decisions. Players have to make plays. Players have to stay healthy.

The idea that Kyle didn't put his players in position to win the game is simply wrong in this last SB.

Sean McVay and Matt Stafford won the SB after getting a 3 point lead and then their defense held the Bengals from scoring - I've seen a bunch of Rams fans and some 49er fans act like they did something way more impressive than Purdy and Shanahan and yet it only seems that way because their defense stopped the Bengals.

Just how it works.

Agree, and it makes sense - in a way - that Kyle scores on teams in the super bowl, gets a lead -- and loses it. I think it's because of his defenses. One of Walsh's earliest coaching positions was defensive backfield coach, for Marve Leavy. So Walsh got introduced to defense early in his career also with Paul Brown. Paul Brown had one great defenses in his day. To a certain extent - if there is a weakness in Kyle's coaching - it's defense. His defenses can't hold leads.

Now having said that, Kyle's learning, always learning. He's moved on from the statue Kirk Cousins type QB to the Trey/Purdy mobile QB's, and so on and so forth. He's learning the defense via experiencing it at the highest levels. He also has a great defensive coaching background by learning defense form Monte Kiffen. Coaching is also about experience as well as having great technical scheme and strategy. One big change Kyle has made, has been more emphasis on the defensive backfield *as well as* the Defensive line. (example: he's drafted 4 Db's the last two drafts, and two of them came in the Day 1 and Day 2 range). Prior to 2022, Kyle's drafted DB's mostly in the Day 3 range.
How about he learns how to score and win in the 4th? Or maybe how to comeback and win games that are close. Taking a lead and sitting on it has not worked. You need to keep scoring and field goals against kc mean nothing. Especially when you already miss one or two in a game. Score to win. Play solid d to put you in a position to win. Don't go up 10 and hope for the best.

Sitting on leads worked with Walsh. One reason is that he had a complete defenses. Kyle's defenses have been DLine overloaded. He's had great Linebackers and so-so defensive backs generally speaking. So offensive teams will pick on his DB's for good reason and while Kyle is trying to run out the clock, guys like Spagnolo will overload the run and Reid will burn his DB's.

One reason I'm confident that Kyle is learning is the way he's changed his drafting emphasis (or so it seems to me). Drafting DB's and Offensive Linemen higher than he has in the past. Purdy was pure luck, but he would not have been even drafted had Kyle been focused on Pocket QB's that can't run (Example: Kirk Cousins).
From your lips to god's ears. I hope you are right. I would love nothing more than to eat my words and admit my errors.

Kyle's last two drafts didn't result in a all-pro player. He's due for at least one (if not more) and that might put the 49ers over the top this year. If they manage to keep the core together for this next run. (See Brandon Aiyuk negotiations) we shall see.🙏🙏🙏

Getting a franchise QB in the 7th round is pretty good lol.

Before that we had Hufanga get All Pro. Lenoir should be in the running from that class as well.

This prior draft has some promising players as well.

Hoping this class ends up being one of our best in a while since we need to hit on our top 3 picks at least as they would be key replacements in key spots if they hit.

Getting a franchise QB in the 7th is 99% luck and 1% skill in my opinion. But because Kyle is such a good offensive coach - probably only a hall of fame level coach can pull something off like that. Coaches that can get franchise QBs after the 7th round, are - most likely - in the hall of fame.

Credit 1,000% to Kyle for keeping Brock on the team vs mediocre coaches like Mooch for letting QBs like Kurt Warner go into free agency. I belive Walsh was the guy that also kept bringing Jeff Garcia back after Mooch kept cutting him - but I don't have much proof of that.

Oh it's 100% luck. Just like it was for Brady and the Pats. And I'll be honest the fact that we missed so bad on Trey makes me nervous down the road…but I hope it's nothing we have to worry about for the next 15+ years.

But yes luck is part of it for sure and we easily could've cut Brock cuz we paid Sudfeld that money and thought we could stash him on the PS(I know that's what I assumed would happen) so credit goes to Kyle just like it did to Belichick that they saw something there enough that they had to keep him on the final roster.

I don't recall the exact details with Garcia but in his QA with the other QBs a while back he said he met Bill in college and Bill liked him a lot and called Holmgren about him. Mooch called him back and said they didn't have room for him at the time. I believe that was when they had Favre with Mark Brunell as his backup and Kurt Warner as a camp body. Talk about a QB room!

Mooch brought him in with him when he got the 49ers gig after Jeff went to play in the CFL. Dont think we ever cut him tho.
You know what I've never heard once? A complaint that Mike Holmgren choked and didn't get his offense to put up more than 13 points in the 1990 NFC Championship Game. He had Montana for 90% of the game and one of the best offenses of all time. Why doesn't anyone blame him?

The answer is because everyone could zero in on one play from Craig.

The reality is that the entire offense under performed that day and were out performed by a great Giants defense. It happens, even to great teams, great players and great coaches.
[ Edited by captveg on Jun 10, 2024 at 7:06 PM ]
Originally posted by captveg:
You know what I've never heard once? A complaint that Mike Holmgren choked and didn't get his offense to put up more than 13 points in the 1990 NFL Championship Game. He had Montana for 90% of the game and one of the best offenses of all time. Why doesn't anyone blame him?

The reality is that the entire offense under performed that day and were out performed by a great Giants defense. It happens, even to great teams, great players and great coaches.

Excellent point. They probably can't blame him because he already won but that just shows how silly that argument is.

Sometimes it has nothing to do with coaching. Sometimes good coaches lose, sometimes bad coaches win.

Kyle has had his mistakes. So have many coaches whose players bailed them out to live on in glory and all mistakes are instantly forgiven.
You know what I've never heard once? A complaint that Mike Holmgren choked and didn't get his offense to put up more than 13 points in the 1990 NFC Championship Game. He had Montana for 90% of the game and one of the best offenses of all time. Why doesn't anyone blame him?

Giants defense was also fantastic. Sometimes the other teams D is better than you on the day.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Giants defense was also fantastic. Sometimes the other teams D is better than you on the day.

We've seen KC's defense rise up in the 4th quarter twice against the Niners in the SB. It's not always about the overall stats. In big games it's usually the team that makes the big plays in the closing minutes.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
yeah i really liked the WZ article about Lawrence Pillers and his strip sack that ended The Catch game. The Catch wouldve meant nothing had the defense not done their job during the last possession of the game.

In this last SB, the offense left the field in OT with a lead. it was the defense that ultimately lost the game.

laugh all you want. what i say is true.

there was nothing we did in OT that belongs in the convo with The Catch. what are we doin here
you act like settling for a Moody fg was The Catch, and the D didn't hold up afterward. total joke
yeah i really liked the WZ article about Lawrence Pillers and his strip sack that ended The Catch game. The Catch wouldve meant nothing had the defense not done their job during the last possession of the game.

In this last SB, the offense left the field in OT with a lead. it was the defense that ultimately lost the game.

laugh all you want. what i say is true.

there was nothing we did in OT that belongs in the convo with The Catch. what are we doin here
you act like settling for a Moody fg was The Catch, and the D didn't hold up afterward. total joke

I understand it's very hard to follow simple logic but a lead is a lead.

The Catch doesn't happen without the defense forcing the fumble to stop Dallas. They had 2 timeouts and plenty of time to get into FG range.

49ers defense protected a 1 point lead in that game and we got The Catch. We got our first SB.

49ers defense couldn't protect a 3 point lead 3 times in the 4th quarter or OT this past SB and we lost and Kyle is a choker as a result.

The Catch doesn't happen without the defense forcing the fumble to stop Dallas. They had 2 timeouts and plenty of time to get into FG range.

49ers defense protected a 1 point lead in that game and we got The Catch. We got our first SB.

49ers defense couldn't protect a 3 point lead 3 times in the 4th quarter or OT this past SB and we lost and Kyle is a choker as a result.

Can't even imagine the reaction if our offense had turned it over 6 times like they did in that '81 title game.

realize with The Catch, there was a play called The Catch, there is no such play in this SB
also with The Catch, there was less than 60 seconds to respond.. Mahomes had effectively unlimited game clock, the game would have gone into 6 quarters and flipped field. this is nonsensical comparison. it's like we gave up a lead so it's the same as The Catch . lot of games we give up a lead that doesn't mean it's The Catch. and notice we didn't give up the lead in The Catch game, so the one possible similarity being grasped for, is not even there

basically if you take out all the facts and info from each game, they are totally alike

realize with The Catch, there was a play called The Catch, there is no such play in this SB
also with The Catch, there was less than 60 seconds to respond.. Mahomes had effectively unlimited game clock, the game would have gone into 6 quarters and flipped field. this is nonsensical comparison. it's like we gave up a lead so it's the same as The Catch . lot of games we give up a lead that doesn't mean it's The Catch. and notice we didn't give up the lead in The Catch game, so the one possible similarity being grasped for, is not even there

basically if you take out all the facts and info from each game, they are totally alike

Nobody was talking about the SB having a Catch type of moment. The whole point which you ignorantly choose to ignore is to win that epic game the defense had to get a stop.

And save me the time angle. They were on our 44 yard line with 38 seconds left with another timeout to use. You really want to sit here and act like the team wasn't in danger of losing that game?

Also funny how you ignore the whole FG drive that was close to being a TD after the 49ers took the lead with under 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Apparently if the 49ers stopped them on defense on that drive OT still happens?

Basically if you ignore all the facts and act dumb on what the whole point is then sure...they're nothing alike.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I wish the NFL would go back to the old rules where a FG wins the f**kin game.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
We've seen KC's defense rise up in the 4th quarter twice against the Niners in the SB. It's not always about the overall stats. In big games it's usually the team that makes the big plays in the closing minutes.

We've also seen the 49ers offense stutter In the 4thQ of super Bowls against the same team.

Poor execution? Poor coaching? Or maybe a combination of the two? Either way, we'll be seeing them again In the near future, I'm pretty sure.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
We've also seen the 49ers offense stutter In the 4thQ of super Bowls against the same team.

Poor execution? Poor coaching? Or maybe a combination of the two? Either way, we'll be seeing them again In the near future, I'm pretty sure.

Same team in name only. The Chiefs defense was an average unit in '19 and considerably better this past season. Same thing in reverse with their offense.
Share 49ersWebzone