There are 118 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Thats what I've been arguing for years. They simply don't value o line.

Do I think Pearsall is the difference maker? probably not, but seeing how they handle contracts I get why they took him. My biggest hope is Purdy's growth tbh. He's that good imo and can mask a lot of faults. My fear tho is it won't matter and the o-line will always break our backs.

I mean, you can still invest in the OL and not have to think they overvalue at a different position. I got no problem with Pearsall. He was a top 40ish player and plays a premium position (look at these contacts coming out). Guys that can beat man coverage and get open quickly can help Brock and pass-pro.

They tried to get a legit center in Richburg. He'd probably still be our starter if not for that injury. Also I believe he was brought in before Foerster was the OL coach. IMO he's kinda the guy that's saying we don't need to invest a ton there, which is weird as s**t. He comes off a bit arrogant, acting like he can coach up whomever.

Overall he has coached up guys to be "starters" BUT when you have stars all over the place, why not invest a little in center or OT? Instead of treading water…you got actual studs if he's developing them as well. Doesn't make sense to me and I doubt it changes as long as he's here.
Originally posted by joeknows:
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Funny, when the team Kyle is on does well he is a genius and when the offense s**ts the bed it's not his fault. That is the argument Kyle fans go to when challenged. Blown leads. It's not Kyle's fault the defense didn't hold. Anemic offense.. not Kyle's fault the players couldn't capitalize on his genius play calling. The defense allowing big plays or committing horrible penalties at crucial points of the game.. not Kyle's fault he is the hc not the dc. On and on and on…. It's never his fault. How could it be. He is a genius. 0-3 to the world but for his apologists he is 0-0 and 3. Been in three lost none won none with 3 losses that were not his fault because everyone else was to blame. He is and was responsible as the oc and hc. Was it all on him. No. Did he contribute to the defeats yes. Would the teams have won had he called better plays? Yes. Are all the sports writers that assigned blame to Kyle in the ATL loss stupid and wrong…? I don't think so.. by the way.. calling deep pass plays when in a running situation can and did have a huge impact on the game. You trivialize play calls as if they don't matter. It mattered. Coaching matters. And Kyle has been in 3 superbowls. All losses. All blown leads. All 3 impacted directly by his coaching. Is it pure coincidence, bad luck or is it poor coaching in crucial moments? Clowns ignore the truth and seek alternative narratives based in delusion . The facts are not hidden in the case of Kyle. You don't need to look hard.. you just need to open your eyes and be honest with yourself. He is 0-3.

Evaluating a coach or player takes more than just looking at one game - even if it's the most important game at the end of the season. Since becoming Head Coach Shanahan has become one of the winningest and most consistently successful in the business. Being 0-2 is horrible and frustrating, but you have to measure him against everyone else in the business, not against a perfect version of himself that does everything right. Since becoming Head Coach only two people have taken their team to the Superbowl more times than Shanahan's Niners. I'm sure I don't even have to mention who they are, suffice to say they are both going to be considered legends of the game, and they have both been a Head Coach for a while longer than Shanahan.

Kyle can improve, but he is absolutely performing at an elite level at his position. I guarantee this - if we were stupid enough to replace him, however came in would not perform as well overall. That's based on performance comparison.
Fair enough. I can buy into that. I am very skeptical that he can overcome his post season meltdowns though. There is only one thing that changes the perception of choking. Win one. It doesn't have to be pretty either. Just win #6. for me that's the only measure of his success as our HC. He has a loaded roster.. again. He has his QB finally and thank god for that. All the pieces are on the table. He just needs to bring them all together and win. let's see what happens.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
43 min mark

Brent Jones is another guy I'd have Kyle go after if he needed an offensive assistant coach in the future.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
The only QBs who did from the start in recent memory was Manning and Luck. I want to say possibly Matt Ryan as well.

Even then the C is mostly responsible for it. Jeff Saturday was doing most of the calls for Manning. Manning was assigning the hot routes, audibles, calling out the MIKE at times, and if he thought the blitz would be coming hard from a certain side (which Jeff also did as well)

Then center should be a priority. Not grabbing a career backup center to start on a Super Bowl roster. They haven't even drafted a legit center prospect to groom and learn.

Thats what I've been arguing for years. They simply don't value o line.

Do I think Pearsall is the difference maker? probably not, but seeing how they handle contracts I get why they took him. My biggest hope is Purdy's growth tbh. He's that good imo and can mask a lot of faults. My fear tho is it won't matter and the o-line will always break our backs.

They certainly don't value the "center" position, that's for sure.

That's definitely incorrect. Which is why they have Richburg all that money in FA. Why the brought in Alex Mack.

You're just saying that because they gave Brendel the job after Mack retired. Center is arguably the most important position on Kyle's OL and he's treated it that way for the most part. Doesn't mean he's going to go crazy bringing in big name guys if he doesn't think they fit what he wants.

Mack was on his last legs and Richburg was sooooo long ago and was a terrible signing. ( Overrated and overpaid ). Since then, the 9ers have been more than content with a career backup starting at center, so no, I would disagree that they valuable the center as much as you think.

Yeah...no

Alex Mack started every game for us and made the pro bowl. His "last legs" was him simply not wanting to keep playing. There was no last leg situation.

Richburg was very good, just couldn't stay healthy. Him being out for the SB was a huge loss for us.

You don't have to make things up to try to push a narrative that's clearly wrong.
Originally posted by Giedi:
43 min mark

Brent Jones is another guy I'd have Kyle go after if he needed an offensive assistant coach in the future.

I can't stand Larry, won't even watch
43 min mark

Here's the short clip

Basically Brent thinks people blaming everything on Kyle don't know wtf they're talking about and he wants to fight them.
Fair enough. I can buy into that. I am very skeptical that he can overcome his post season meltdowns though. There is only one thing that changes the perception of choking. Win one. It doesn't have to be pretty either. Just win #6. for me that's the only measure of his success as our HC. He has a loaded roster.. again. He has his QB finally and thank god for that. All the pieces are on the table. He just needs to bring them all together and win. let's see what happens.

Not sure how you can call it a meltdown though. Lost multiple starters in the SB. Kittle and Deebo got hurt (and tried playing though it). They attacked Burks the moment Dre got hurt. Burford went simple Jack on one of the most important plays of the game. OPOY fumbled in the RZ etc etc.

Instead of saying he should have call such and such play after the fact. Why not look at the plays that were called and if the players actually executed them properly? Jimmy hits sanders they probably win the SB. Brock makes a correct read on a hot route on 3rd down or a RG makes the read protection. They probably win the SB. Dropped INT by Tartt and they're more than likely going to the SB. Punt return fumble.

at some point you studs gotta show up and make plays in the biggest moments. KC has that, Brady did it for years. Montana/young/Rice all did.

A HC can only do so much. Giving Reid a pat on the back for mahomes making some absurd throw on 3rd and 15 with bosa/bucker all over him is dumb. That's on the players. Mahomes scrambling around making plays at the end of the SB is on him.
Here's the short clip

Basically Brent thinks people blaming everything on Kyle don't know wtf they're talking about and he wants to fight them.

I agree with it, folks that blame just the HC are dumb as s**t imo. It's the typical lazy fan take. Then they get all butt hurt when you lay out a substance driven debate on it.

we all should be smart enough to understand who's a good HC and who isn't. We've seen both ends.
Here's the short clip

I agree with it, folks that blame just the HC are dumb as s**t imo. It's the typical lazy fan take. Then they get all butt hurt when you lay out a substance driven debate on it.

we all should be smart enough to understand who's a good HC and who isn't. We've seen both ends.

Not just that, but we also must acknowledge the likelihood of finding a new coach that will take this team to 4 nfc title games in 5 years is unlikely. Doesn't mean that move shouldn't ultimately get made but there has to be an acknowledgement that a regression at HC is far more likely.

• Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Here's the short clip

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Not just that, but we also must acknowledge the likelihood of finding a new coach that will take this team to 4 nfc title games in 5 years is unlikely. Doesn't mean that move shouldn't ultimately get made but there has to be an acknowledgement that a regression at HC is far more likely.

Common sense isn't there. It's just emotional stuff.

I've brought some of the "great" HC's that are currently in the league. It's clearly a what have you done for me lately thing with fans…WTF has John Harbs, Tomlin, Payton etc done in the past 10+ years? Nothing close to what Kyle has done. Payton destroying the broncos & Harbs just losing when it matters with a multiple time MVP.

Tomlin got a big fat extension and hasn't been to a SB in 15 yrs. Dude didn't build that team and if harrison doesn't take a 100 yard INT to the house on the last play before halftime, he's not a SB winning HC. Toss in the santonio holmes toe tap at the end of the game. That play had nothing to do with the HC.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
43 min mark

Agree in a sense, he's a bit of a blowhard, but a heck of a lot better than a Cone-head that thinks he's a journalist when he's just a 49er troll that I refuse to listen or read.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Not sure how you can call it a meltdown though. Lost multiple starters in the SB. Kittle and Deebo got hurt (and tried playing though it). They attacked Burks the moment Dre got hurt. Burford went simple Jack on one of the most important plays of the game. OPOY fumbled in the RZ etc etc.

Instead of saying he should have call such and such play after the fact. Why not look at the plays that were called and if the players actually executed them properly? Jimmy hits sanders they probably win the SB. Brock makes a correct read on a hot route on 3rd down or a RG makes the read protection. They probably win the SB. Dropped INT by Tartt and they're more than likely going to the SB. Punt return fumble.

at some point you studs gotta show up and make plays in the biggest moments. KC has that, Brady did it for years. Montana/young/Rice all did.

A HC can only do so much. Giving Reid a pat on the back for mahomes making some absurd throw on 3rd and 15 with bosa/bucker all over him is dumb. That's on the players. Mahomes scrambling around making plays at the end of the SB is on him.

My pet peeve with Kyle is that he's too aggressive and panics too often when he's behind in the 4th QTr.

That said, I dont see anybody else better in the NFL coaching the 49ers other than Kyle. He has the pedigree, history and connections with the legends of the past. Now with an elite franchise QB in Brock, he's got his ideal more mobile and accurate Kirk Cousins QB. He's set to dominate the NFL the way Reid/Mahomes and Belichick/Brady did in the past. We shall see.

This is the truth.
Share 49ersWebzone