There are 124 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
My pet peeve with Kyle is that he's too aggressive and panics too often when he's behind in the 4th QTr.

That said, I dont see anybody else better in the NFL coaching the 49ers other than Kyle. He has the pedigree, history and connections with the legends of the past. Now with an elite franchise QB in Brock, he's got his ideal more mobile and accurate Kirk Cousins QB. He's set to dominate the NFL the way Reid/Mahomes and Belichick/Brady did in the past. We shall see.

I think a lot of HC'a have issues when playing from behind in the 4th QR. that's not just a kyle thing.

IMO that's when you need your highly paid studs to show up. Boss make a 3rd down sack, Warner get a INT, kittle/deebo/BA/CMC break some tackles and score a TD. Trent block the snot out of their best pass-rusher. Brock don't shell up and make a play.

They've made big plays in big moments. Gotta have it in the 4th QR of the the Super Bowl now….on both sides.

Yeah...let's be honest this team isn't built to just air the ball out without the threat of the run. Yes we can do it but when the other team knows we have to pass(common when a team is down late) it exposes our biggest weakness - pass pro.

Brock had moments where he can make up for it and given our talent at the skill positions that certainly helps. But KC got us in the rush and at the backend with blanket coverage. I think that's why Kyle addressed WR. He's looking for more guys who can get open quickly. It's also why I think we keep Aiyuk when it's all said and done. He was getting open in the SB, just wasn't getting the ball because we featured Deebo more or because his routes were longer developing ones and the OL wasn't giving Brock time to hit him.

But yes...you need your big players to make big plays in key moments. KC keeps getting it from their guys whether it's Mahomes/Kelce or Chris Jones and this last one...Trent McDuffie.

When you have your top guys having a rough game in the biggest game...the odds of you winning regardless of the coaching decisions definitely take a hit.

I think Kyle is a fine coach. The difference between a guy like Kyle and a guy like Walsh was the experience Walsh had. Walsh knew when to calm players down and when to rile them up. Kyle is different, but the same in many ways. I think as the Purdy/Kyle relationship matures and gains experience - it can possibly rival the dynasty years. Too many fans are too impatient in my opinion. Kyle and Purdy are by no means finished products. As they both push themselves to grow, they will eventually get better.

I highly doubt it.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I agree its been at best half hearted attempts. Aside TW they have not really hit at all.

Correct, I am not really bashing it either way more than simply questioning it much as you are. I did want JPJ there as I feel a star center would make a huge difference even if not sexy (I now believe his injury flags turned them off, and I am not going to argue that given this teams history).

I think they knew Aiyuk and Deebo would be next to impossible to keep together more than a year or two so Pearsall is the bride to be. Again that makes sense, but we chose him over a few good o-line prospects for sure. Time will tell.

I am also not high of Foerster either, but tbh as Ncommand always said they simply don't value o-line and now the damn o-line coach literally SAID IT.
I really don't want this to bite them in the ass again, but tbh it probably will.

To be fair that quote was highly out of context. The initial reported quote bothered me big time but then I heard it in context and it wasn't anything crazy.

It's simply an OL coach saying HIS beliefs which is you invest the earlier picks in guys who touch the ball and he can coach up guys drafted later on. I'm pretty sure he mentioned rounds 2+ so it's not like he was saying just draft guys on day 3.

That's what the OL coach should think. I'm sure he'd want a talented guy to work with but it's also logical to think "i can coach them up"

Let's not forget the 2nd 1st round by ShanaLynch was Mike McGlinchey 9th overall. A pick many of us weren't exactly thrilled with but it's clear they value the position when they see the fit is there. Trent Brown was still on the roster when we drafted McGlinchey too.

If anything I think Kyle underrates the importance of guards but I'm hoping the selection of Banks and now Puni that's changing as well. I just think Kyle is VERY particular about his OLmen and if we're not careful it will be a major problem in a blink. Have to find our LT/RT of the future and identify our Center of the future in the next year or two max.

Thanks and great insight as I have not seen the entire conversation.

I am still not crazy about him, and we still need to hit better/invest better with o-line. Hopefully we see that next month.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Surprised, Nick Siranni Isn't on that list.

Sean McDermott should be #7. IMO

I mean what exactly has he done? Other than ride Josh Allen to a bunch playoff exits.

From 2017 to 2023, he's only missed the playoffs once. From 2000 to 2016, the Bills have never had double digit wins. He's managed to make the Bills relevant again. What has Dan Campbell done? One trip to the playoffs in three seasons, barely warrants #7.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Jun 27, 2024 at 10:57 AM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
From 2017 to 2023, he's only missed the playoffs once. From 2000 to 2016, the Bills have never had double digit wins. He's managed to make the Bills relevant again. What has Dan Campbell done? One trip to the playoffs in three seasons, barely warrants #7.

let's not pretend like Goff and Josh Allen are on the level

imo HC and QB can make you a dynasty
like Mahomes / Reid and before Brady / Belichick

BUF has the QB imo, and no SB appearance. that tells me McDermott isn't doing his job. Allen does enough to prop him up so he doesn't get fired. Allen running circles around Mac Jones or Zach Wilson doesn't make me impressed by McDermott. Campbell inherited a much worse situation, and I think their team is better, even outgunned at QB.

Every single analyst, media guy, players, FO guys, other fans all agree that Kyle is a top 3-5 coach in the NFL. Only here do we have clown takes.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Every single analyst, media guy, players, FO guys, other fans all agree that Kyle is a top 3-5 coach in the NFL. Only here do we have clown takes.

now do a Super Bowl HC ranks
I love seeing Dco on that list but DAMN I wish we could have held onto him for one more season. Fking Wilks lol

Food for thought? What if Dco gets a trophy before we do? Now don't freak out lol it is just for convo lol. I am not diminishing Kyle in any way, just would be interesting lol
[ Edited by Montana on Jun 27, 2024 at 2:00 PM ]

and they put him ahead of 3 guys who all have rings, tells you something. we are super lucky to have kyle as our hc. i'm confident he'll get a sb win here soon. he's a great coach.

Oh is that how it works? 🤡

yeah that's how it works. everyone knows he can coach in September and even in January. He's had a rough time in February. He was talking about the Super Bowl and what went wrong more or less in his intro presser. Been doing it ever since.

yeah that's how it works. everyone knows he can coach in September and even in January. He's had a rough time in February. He was talking about the Super Bowl and what went wrong more or less in his intro presser. Been doing it ever since.

Nothing would change for the experts. Only the clown show.
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Nothing would change for the experts. Only the clown show.

sure it would, i don't care who you poll, if anyone is ranking SB head coach performances Kyle isn't #2, on any list
unless it's top all time Shanahan's in the Super Bowl or something
sure it would, i don't care who you poll, if anyone is ranking SB head coach performances Kyle isn't #2, on any list

So what would he be then? Like 7th at absolute worst, lol.

Guess Jim Harbaugh is a bottom 10 coach then
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Guess Jim Harbaugh is a bottom 10 coach then

your issue is you keep bringing up old 49ers who are no longer relevant to what we do. now if you'll excuse me, i'm off to the JG thread.
Share 49ersWebzone