LISTEN: The Best Of The 49ers Webzone: No Huddle Podcast →

There are 130 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by genus49:
Patience isn't a strength huh? 16 minute mark since you can't be bothered.

Originally posted by Koldo:
Is this your business card?

Oh snap!

You guys with your drama lol
[ Edited by Montana on Jun 29, 2024 at 4:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Dshearn:
As a bit of a Dan Reeves fan boy...I can't help but weigh in on this.

I really liked the guy, but I don't think we are looking at a coach choking as much as we are looking at his coaching philosophy.

In that Era you had coaches that went wide open like a Marv Levy, you had coaches that wanted to dominate time of possession like Bill Walsh, and you had coaches that wanted to limit mistakes Shottenishimer and Reeves.

The following generations really started to mesh stuff...like Norv Turner and Shanny 1.0

To Be fair...all coaches want points, TOP and limited turnovers....but some systems are built for certain results.

Dan Reeves get's into this in his book, his main goal was to not risk the football, let other teams make mistakes and capitalize on that. He said he could do this because he had the best horse in the race and could turn Elway loose in the 4th if he needed too. It is common knowledge that Elway played for years with handcuffs on, only to be turned loose late when the game was still on the line. This is why I hate the 4th qtr comeback conversations. Elway has so many because that is how Reeves coached the game. Yes Elway gets credit for doing it...but it is not apples to apples. This is an absolute classic example of playing not to loose.

I think anyone that wants to use Dan Reeves as a coach that chokes is very.....very....off. He was an over achiever, and it was clear he ended up in some SBs that he really did not have the talent to be in.

If someone want's to be critical of Reeves, I think it fair to question the play not to loose mentality.....I think we have a large enough sample size to say unless you have an overwhelming defense...or historically great break away Running Back.....hell...you kind of need both....teams that have gone that approach have faltered.

I am a homer...no doubt....but I will always be partial to the 1st down focused football of Bill Walsh and the WCO. You control down and distance, first coach to really do this with the passing game....and you control the clock....again first coach to really do this with the passing game. Walsh and the many, mannnnnny WCO clones proved a healthy run/pass balance was a repeatable year in and year out way to play football.

Great breakdown but coaching philosophy is definitely related to actual coaching which is the thing some people here are failing to grasp.

Where does coaching failure or so called choking come into play and when is player choking come into play.

Despite the clown show trying to add definitions into this conversation, fact is coaches do not make plays on their field. Their big moments are the SB prep, gameplan and adjustments and playcalling.

A HC who goes into a game and his team is outmatched from nearly the start is choking as far as a coach goes. He didn't have the team prepared, his gameplan was trash and in the case of Reeves I believe his teams did their worst in the end of their SBs which means his adjustments were garbage.

I see that as just failure, not a mistake in judgment due to acute pressure.....but I can see where you are coming from.....and I am not sure I dont agree with you...

I think Dan Reeves style of offense was a mistake....I really like the guy.....but I do not like the idea of treading water on offense because of the fear you might turn the ball over.

I am not a proponent of "flipping" the switch either. You don't coast for long periods of time with the idea that when the time comes you can just turn on excellence. I think you need to practice for excellence every single day, and then run what you practice on game day.

Those Bronco's had offense A and Offense B....and only used turned Elway loose late in the game....lord knows what Elway would have done with Bill Walsh...
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
now do a Super Bowl HC ranks

Top Choker
Nope. That would be Marv Levy.

Dan Reeves choked worse than Levy. All four of his SB losses were ultimately blowouts.

Dan Reeves is an excellent name to bring up in this discussion. Kind of a forgotten name…I admit I forgot about him as well but 4 SB losses, 3 of them with John Elway as his QB and some good defenses to go with him.

Why these guys aren't serious in their takes.

Kyle is one away… and he played more of a role in the losses. Blowouts are one thing.. blowing leads is another…. One could say your takes are not serious..

Yeah a coach who prepares his team so well they get blown out every time is totally more impressive than blowing a 10 point lead in the 2nd quarter.

I'm sad that my taxes went to paying off your clown college student loans.
So your argument is that Kyle is not a choker and presumably had nothing to do with the 3 superbowl losses? I just want to be sure I understand your position.

Top Choker

Dan Reeves choked worse than Levy. All four of his SB losses were ultimately blowouts.

Dan Reeves is an excellent name to bring up in this discussion. Kind of a forgotten name…I admit I forgot about him as well but 4 SB losses, 3 of them with John Elway as his QB and some good defenses to go with him.

Kyle is one away… and he played more of a role in the losses. Blowouts are one thing.. blowing leads is another…. One could say your takes are not serious..

Yeah a coach who prepares his team so well they get blown out every time is totally more impressive than blowing a 10 point lead in the 2nd quarter.

So your argument is that Kyle is not a choker and presumably had nothing to do with the 3 superbowl losses? I just want to be sure I understand your position.

My argument is Kyle didn't choke those SBs because his teams had several chances to win those games by either making plays on defense or not make critical mistakes on offense with the plays he called.

But no I never said he had NOTHING to do with those losses. I'm just not in the "he lost so it's all his fault" camp because football isn't that cut and dry.
stache or no stache?

Originally posted by NYniner85:
stache or no stache?

Someone said coach is in villain mode…lol love it
stache or no stache?

Kyle looking like Kendall Roy with a stache.

Top Choker

I wish these anti-Kyle folks would stop with the "3" losses thing. It's laughable and really shows that they will use everything at their disposal to throw dirt at the guy. He wasn't the HC in ATL, but these guys think that by adding that ATL loss to Kyle's resume it bolsters their weak argument. Name me one other OC, or DC that this applies to or has been used to denigrate an OC or DC blaming them for a SB loss.
[ Edited by eastie on Jun 30, 2024 at 5:22 PM ]
stache or no stache?

He looks too much like Tomsula and that just scares me.
stache or no stache?

Shanastach about to f**k this league up

I wish these anti-Kyle folks would stop with the "3" losses thing. It's laughable and really shows that they will use everything at their disposal to throw dirt at the guy. He wasn't the HC in ATL, but these guys think that by adding that ATL loss to Kyle's resume it bolsters their weak argument. Name me one other OC, or DC that this applies to or has been used to denigrate an OC or DC blaming them for a SB loss.

They don't care which is why they're casuals.

There isn't a HC out there who is creating the game plan for all 3 phases of the game. There are some who have more involvement with one side of the roster than others. There are some who are able to add a lot to both sides of the ball but nobody runs all 3 units with the same attention to detail and playcalling.

The same dudes blaming the Atlanta collapse on Shanahan when the HC was a defensive guy and the Pats had to score on 4 straight possessions including 2 2 pt conversions, last one coming after the Pats had to drive 91 yards to score and tie it up, are the same guys to ignore the 49ers defense giving up 3rd and 15 in 2019 then giving up 21 points in 7 minutes or the awful finish this last SB with horrendous play calls basically rolling out the red carpet for Mahomes and the Chiefs.

They'll put all the blame on Kyle for what ends up being a 2nd down pass vs run call with the HC in that game getting no blame but no blame is given to Saleh or Wilks.

It's just a really stupid narrative but yes Kyle doesn't have a SB win so that will still be a method people will bash him until he can get one.

Personally I haven't seen anything from him to say he can't win one. When you go up against two of the best QBs to ever play the game, coached by some of the best coaches to ever coach in this game…well you have to be virtually perfect to beat them. 49ers were definitely not that in either SB. But the film shows the majority of the mistakes were player related.
Originally posted by bassmanr:
He looks too much like Tomsula and that just scares me.
Looks like that one middle aged actor from the 80s/90s
  • BP13
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Montana:
Looks like that one middle aged actor from the 80s/90s

"So, Kyle... I can see you grew a mustache in the off-season..."
Originally posted by BP13:

"So, Kyle... I can see you grew a mustache in the off-season..."

Kyle doesn't have to explain anything to kool aid man.
Share 49ersWebzone