LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 252 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Koldo:
Shanahan fanboy disparaging past Super Bowl winning HC's by calling such achievement a "stroke of luck" to prop Kyle up is beyond pathetic.

more like Shanahaters have no life so they need to project their failures on the HC.
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Originally posted by genus49:
History not in favor of 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan's Super Bowl aspirationsPublished: Jun 30, 2024 at 02:22 PM by Grant Gordon. Another crazy take…. ? Clown show? No.. just an accurate accounting of the situation.

OMG Grant Gordon said that?! I take everything I said back.

The point is kyle fan boys paint his critics out as fringe lunatics when they raise valid concerns. You can defend him and disagree all you want but you can't ignore and dismiss the legitimacy of the criticisms. Many hold the view that he is a choker and many believe he will continue to choke. You calling people clowns does not change that. Kyle Chokahan is a choker until he proves otherwise.

1. I have no idea who Grant Gordon is. His opinion means just as much to me as yours does which isn't much.

2. Just because people have an outlet to write their thoughts down doesn't mean their thoughts are correct.

3. You posted nothing but a headline. 0 context. 0 information behind it for people to read and respond to.

4. Given those facts, it does appear to be a clown type of post.
Shanahan fanboy disparaging past Super Bowl winning HC's by calling such achievement a "stroke of luck" to prop Kyle up is beyond pathetic.

No. It's called context.

The point isn't to discredit the coaches considering the whole point people have been trying to make you "SB or bust" dudes understand is a single game can swing either direction for multiple reasons with some having nothing to do with coaching.

Tomlin, Harbaugh are excellent coaches but just because they have a SB win doesn't make them better than Shanahan, at least IMO.

Bringing up the so called luck plays in those games just shows that when you get them in big moments - you win and go on to have the "SB winning great HC" label.

If you don't get those plays to go your way fools like you call someone a choker.

To me choking by a HC is more what Jim Harbaugh did in his SB vs big brother than what Shanahan has done. The team wasn't prepared despite having a great matchup and a great roster in place. There were no injuries mid game. Just poor execution, bad game plan and coaching mistakes that literally hurt our chances to take the lead at the end.

Choking to me is John Harbaugh in 2019 going one and done and losing to Ryan Tannehill at home by 16 points.
Choking to me is Mike McCarthy last year getting blown out by the Packers. The final score didn't reflect how awful that coaching job was.
Choking to me is Mike Tomlin losing to Tim Tebow and the 8-8 Broncos in the WC round as a 12-4 team with the #1 defense in the league.

Now I believe Kyle has blind spots he needs to address to improve his odds of closing games out. That doesn't take away from the fact that every SB he "choked" could've been one if 1 play is changed. And considering Shanahan isn't on the field to make those plays, I don't see that as choking by the HC.

The players get paid a lot of money to blame their mistakes on coaching. Now if Shanahan called a timeout with a perfect defensive look and it cost us a game leading TD under 2 minutes left to play that's another story. If he dialed up long developing plays in the face of KC blitzes, that's another story.

He didn't do those things. All you have to do is open your ears and hear players talking about how he coaches. It's laughable that dudes on here or on twitter think Shanahan doesn't care about details.
Originally posted by boast:
more like Shanahaters have no life so they need to project their failures on the HC.

Ding ding. We have a winner.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
lol how about you look from the other side? All we hear are some BS nonsense about a head coach being the told blame for choking. Ya'll can't stomach the concept of nuance and understanding there's a whole hell of a lot that happens on a football field that is out of control of a HC.

Folks bring up other head coaches in the league who haven't don't s**t in over a decade. No one gives them any s**t because they won a Super Bowl 15 yrs ago and DEPENDED on their players to actually make f**king big moment plays to get "their win"

Tomlin doesn't have a ring if not for a toe tap from Holmes or a 100 yard INT from Harrison before halftime. Coughlin might have NO rings if not for some crazy ass catches from Manningham and Tyree. Jimmy G connects on a sanders TD Kyle is a SB winning HC. SF gets a stop on 4th down this yr. They win twice.

Choking is a such a subjective thing. Every single HC "chokes" or is a loser outside of one HC every year apparently. Your take is full on lazy and needing to blame one person.

I concur.

plus, coach is going full villain mode. We now have the official Ying/Yang with Kyle as a villain mastermind and Brock Purdy as good guy Jesus from kohls. Muhahaha

Anyone who legit wants Kyle fired or thinks he's the only reason that SF loses games…I can't take anything else they say in here seriously.
Originally posted by genus49:
No. It's called context.

The point isn't to discredit the coaches considering the whole point people have been trying to make you "SB or bust" dudes understand is a single game can swing either direction for multiple reasons with some having nothing to do with coaching.

Tomlin, Harbaugh are excellent coaches but just because they have a SB win doesn't make them better than Shanahan, at least IMO.

Bringing up the so called luck plays in those games just shows that when you get them in big moments - you win and go on to have the "SB winning great HC" label.

If you don't get those plays to go your way fools like you call someone a choker.

To me choking by a HC is more what Jim Harbaugh did in his SB vs big brother than what Shanahan has done. The team wasn't prepared despite having a great matchup and a great roster in place. There were no injuries mid game. Just poor execution, bad game plan and coaching mistakes that literally hurt our chances to take the lead at the end.

Choking to me is John Harbaugh in 2019 going one and done and losing to Ryan Tannehill at home by 16 points.
Choking to me is Mike McCarthy last year getting blown out by the Packers. The final score didn't reflect how awful that coaching job was.
Choking to me is Mike Tomlin losing to Tim Tebow and the 8-8 Broncos in the WC round as a 12-4 team with the #1 defense in the league.

Now I believe Kyle has blind spots he needs to address to improve his odds of closing games out. That doesn't take away from the fact that every SB he "choked" could've been one if 1 play is changed. And considering Shanahan isn't on the field to make those plays, I don't see that as choking by the HC.

The players get paid a lot of money to blame their mistakes on coaching. Now if Shanahan called a timeout with a perfect defensive look and it cost us a game leading TD under 2 minutes left to play that's another story. If he dialed up long developing plays in the face of KC blitzes, that's another story.

He didn't do those things. All you have to do is open your ears and hear players talking about how he coaches. It's laughable that dudes on here or on twitter think Shanahan doesn't care about details.

I have him blocked, but I'm assuming he's talking about my post lol.

When people actually decide to have an objective thought on this subject they'd look back and see all the one play big moments or one or two players just showing up in the big moment to win it. Pretending it was all on the coach (good or bad) is a load of s**t.

you can't tell me Tomlin planned for James Harrison to get a pick 6 for 100 yards right before halftime. Dude was given a Super Bowl winning roster and only got the job done once! You can't tell me Coughlin planned for Tyree to be the guy that caught the ball off his helmet to keep the drive going. Harbs for sure was planning on Jacoby Jones to have a 109 kick off return lol. Butler getting a game winning INT vs Seattle at the goal line? That was totally all because of Bill 🙃

I'm sure Bill Walsh told Joe Montana to have 3 ints before the catch was made. Point is you NEED guys to step up. You need your studs to show up in games like the playoffs and the SB.

IMO there's too many variables to say one person is a choker, especially a HC….If a HC simply gets blown out by an inferior team…that's just a sign of bad coaching and not being prepared. There aren't too many of those games under Kyle's belt.

It's ridiculous for me to say a HC is a choker unless they win a SB. Not many HC's go to a SB let alone win it all. Doesn't mean they suck, especially when they've positioned themselves to have a realistic shot to win it every damn year.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
I don't like Kyle with the moustache. I prefer Kyle with the beard.
By the way, Kyle is a great HC and the Niners are lucky to have him and John Lynch. I was thinking back to what the team looked like in January 2017, it was horrible.
I like the Lt Aldo Raine look... "and i want my scalps"
The point is kyle fan boys paint his critics out as fringe lunatics when they raise valid concerns. You can defend him and disagree all you want but you can't ignore and dismiss the legitimacy of the criticisms. Many hold the view that he is a choker and many believe he will continue to choke. You calling people clowns does not change that. Kyle Chokahan is a choker until he proves otherwise.

lol how about you look from the other side? All we hear are some BS nonsense about a head coach being the told blame for choking. Ya'll can't stomach the concept of nuance and understanding there's a whole hell of a lot that happens on a football field that is out of control of a HC.

Folks bring up other head coaches in the league who haven't don't s**t in over a decade. No one gives them any s**t because they won a Super Bowl 15 yrs ago and DEPENDED on their players to actually make f**king big moment plays to get "their win"

Tomlin doesn't have a ring if not for a toe tap from Holmes or a 100 yard INT from Harrison before halftime. Coughlin might have NO rings if not for some crazy ass catches from Manningham and Tyree. Jimmy G connects on a sanders TD Kyle is a SB winning HC. SF gets a stop on 4th down this yr. They win twice.

Choking is a such a subjective thing. Every single HC "chokes" or is a loser outside of one HC every year apparently. Your take is full on lazy and needing to blame one person.
I don't blame just him for the losses but I do say he is responsible. He calls the plays and is the team leader. My beef is with the Kyle fan club that holds him blameless or can't handle any criticism that paints him as a coach who can't win the big one. From my perspective he has proven he can't do it. Will he? Can he? Maybe but for now he is 0-3. That statement alone gets his fan club in an uproar. My take is not lazy. Its based on his track record. Choking is subjective. 0-3 is not.

I don't blame just him for the losses but I do say he is responsible. He calls the plays and is the team leader. My beef is with the Kyle fan club that holds him blameless or can't handle any criticism that paints him as a coach who can't win the big one. From my perspective he has proven he can't do it. Will he? Can he? Maybe but for now he is 0-3. That statement alone gets his fan club in an uproar. My take is not lazy. Its based on his track record. Choking is subjective. 0-3 is not.
it is lazy and you just proved it again

Who is available that you would like for the 49ers to replace Shanahan with?
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

For the record, I'm not in the "Fire Shanahan right now" camp; I'm in the "let him know his seat could start getting hot if he fails or is unwilling to address his shortcomings as HC" camp.
For the record, I'm not in the "Fire Shanahan right now" camp; I'm in the "let him know his seat could start getting hot if he fails or is unwilling to address his shortcomings as HC" camp.

that's basically every year of our gold jacket wearing owner
that's my prob with Jed right now, he went from the Standard is Super Bowls to tweeting we are proud to take Super Ls
it's about lighting a fire so we don't keep having the same stupid crap bite us, the coach lights the fire under the players, so does the owner under the coach
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jul 1, 2024 at 3:32 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

He will deflect and say he doesn't want them fired even though every post of his talks about what failures they are at their jobs….so why would anyone who thinks they are total failures want them around?

Blaming one person for wins and losses is dumb. Plain and simple. That's why people have a problem with your take. You totally disregard what happens on the field and make it sound like a madden video game. Like real people/players don't exist.

Why isn't Quinn the "choker" in the SB? He's the leader and that's your issue with Kyle? You can't even apply your own bias train of thought properly thus negating any real debate you have.
Share 49ersWebzone