There are 183 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Cosmo:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Montana:
Has more of a monkey on his back than Steve.

I'm not sure about that. Steve immediately followed the greatest QB in franchise history that had won 4 SB. Fans still expected the team to win more so the pressure was on Steve to deliver. Now 49er fans are hoping Kyle and Brock can deliver another SB win but they aren't the dominant team that they were back when Steve played. If Dallas hadn't risen up during his time the 49ers would have likely won at least 2 more SBs.

Or if they'd have simply kept Joe. 😢

Or kept Charles Haley and Deion.
Originally posted by genus49:

I'm not sure about that. Steve immediately followed the greatest QB in franchise history that had won 4 SB. Fans still expected the team to win more so the pressure was on Steve to deliver. Now 49er fans are hoping Kyle and Brock can deliver another SB win but they aren't the dominant team that they were back when Steve played. If Dallas hadn't risen up during his time the 49ers would have likely won at least 2 more SBs.

Joe was pretty much done and they had to give Steve his shot or he may have wanted a trade. It would have been nice to keep Haley but he was distraction in the locker room. He couldn't get along with Seifert either. I'm not sure why Deion left. I can't believe it was just money. The Niners wren't offering a long term contract so that was part of it. I think ego was also a factor. He wanted to go to another team and lead them to a SB.

Just keep Ricky Watters and we win in 95. Defense was number 1 in 95 without Deion.
Joe was pretty much done and they had to give Steve his shot or he may have wanted a trade. It would have been nice to keep Haley but he was distraction in the locker room. He couldn't get along with Seifert either. I'm not sure why Deion left. I can't believe it was just money. The Niners wren't offering a long term contract so that was part of it. I think ego was also a factor. He wanted to go to another team and lead them to a SB.

Joe wasn't done....in fact.....I think the 92 NFCCG could've been different had Montana started that game (which never woulda happened anyway) because Young was his frenetic best/worst when the playoffs rolled around. 1994 end results are probably the same with Montana instead of Young as well.

Having said that, I do understand the move to Young for the long term.

That's the ticket!!!!
Originally posted by bassmanr:

That's the ticket!!!!

I never got this take. Haley was totally disruptive. He had to go. He just didn't need to go to Dallas. The defense was no. 1 in 95 without Deion. Letting Watters go and running with Derek Loville + piss poor drafting overall did us in more than the losses of Sanders and Haley.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Just keep Ricky Watters and we win in 95. Defense was number 1 in 95 without Deion.

Not re-signing Watters was the biggest mistake the front office made in the 90s. In 1994 he was the second best weapon on offense and defenses had no answer for him. In 95 and 96 defenses had zero respect for the running game and completely teed off on Young. Deion was great in 94 but the next two seasons with Pete Carrol as the DC the defense was insanely good. No question they would have won one more with Watters or another competent running back.
Originally posted by bassmanr:

That's the ticket!!!!

I never got this take. Haley was totally disruptive. He had to go. He just didn't need to go to Dallas. The defense was no. 1 in 95 without Deion. Letting Watters go and running with Derek Loville + piss poor drafting overall did us in more than the losses of Sanders and Haley.

I think all of the above...Ricky going to Philly sucked. Loville was a backup at best so yes agree, but losing Haley and Deion was crushing as well.

We still had home field advantage until we got Farved...AHHHH.
Agreed. And the injury to William Floyd mid-season was a huge blow. Having Adam Walker fumble in the opening quarter vs GB was a back-breaker.
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
Joe wasn't done....in fact.....I think the 92 NFCCG could've been different had Montana started that game (which never woulda happened anyway) because Young was his frenetic best/worst when the playoffs rolled around. 1994 end results are probably the same with Montana instead of Young as well.

Yea, he was MVP of the league. It would have been crazy to give the keys back to Joe at that point.

That said Steve was rarely at his best in the playoffs, like you mentioned.

• DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RickyRoma:

Joe didn't do s**t in KC and that was a great team with a loaded defense.

Everyone sings Joe's praises but let's be honest he was a shell of the 80s legend we all came to love.

Steve's biggest downfall was the 49ers inability to keep the team competitive in the mid to late 90s. There was too much reliance on Young and Rice to get it done, and the team gave them a supporting case of has beens and players on the verge of retiring. If they were serious about putting a legit roster together we could have easily won it all in 1995, 1997, and 1998.
[ Edited by DrEll on Jul 8, 2024 at 5:26 PM ]
Originally posted by DrEll:

Everyone sings Joe's praises but let's be honest he was a shell of the 80s legend we all came to love.

Steve's biggest downfall was the 49ers inability to keep the team competitive in the mid to late 90s. There was too much reliance on Young and Rice to get it done, and the team gave them a supporting case of has beens and players on the verge of retiring. If they were serious about putting a legit roster together we could have easily won it all in 1995, 1997, and 1998.

lol you have no idea what youre talking about as usual. Joe led the '93 Chiefs to two consecutive come-from-behind wins in the playoffs that season. unfortunately a concussion knocked him out of the AFCCG or he might've done it again.
[ Edited by boast on Jul 8, 2024 at 6:08 PM ]
2 WEEKS AWAY UNTIL ITS GO TIME. LETS f**kING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is the year.
Originally posted by boast:

lol you have no idea what youre talking about as usual. Joe led the '93 Chiefs to two consecutive come-from-behind wins in the playoffs that season. unfortunately a concussion knocked him out of the AFCCG or he might've done it again.

Joe Montana >>>>Steve Young

If Martin hadn't scored the last TD and Dallas had been held to a field goal in the 92 NFCCG, it would have been 20-26 rather than 20-30 and George Seifert would have gone with Joe Montana over Steve Young on that possible game winning last drive. Seiffert had already given Joe the nod and Joe was warming up.

49er folk lore might have been much different.

So much wrong in this, I won't waist my time....I'll just say it seems obvious that you weren't even watching football when all of this was unfolding.
Share 49ersWebzone