There are 198 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by FanInFlorida:
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Careful now.. folks don't like hearing the truth in here. All his busted plays and strategies failed because the players did not execute. All the positive plays worked because he is a genius. Brock's success as an emerging elite qb is because Kyle made him great and so on…. how dare you say Kyle becomes less effective when it matters most? What proof do you have to back that up? By the way, you can't use all of his superbowl performances as evidence. Nope, folks don't want to hear that. And finally, you want him fired and think he is a terrible coach. I know you said otherwise but we are going to ignore that and demand you name his replacement. All hail the almighty Kyle! the Teflon genius who deserves no criticism.

Love this. Spot on.

Once again I'll ask this since you all keep missing it by some strange coincidence.

Which plays that you deem to be the wrong ones? Out of those plays which ones lost us the game in so called crunch time.

I keep seeing the "Kyle didn't call the right play or called the wrong play"…show us or just tell me what down/distance time it happened.

Surely you guys know this information since it's facts right?

Anyone? Anyone?

Brock will end it by wining despite the bad coaching. great players overcome marginal coaches.
care to respond to the above ?
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Honestly it's kind of crazy if you stop and think about it. We made it to the SB with Jimmy G as the QB. Look at him with the Raiders. I got no bad blood for Jimmy but it's crystal clear the man wasn't anything special. Maybe it was because of his ACL injury or maybe once he had to run the offense and teams got a better look at him the overall play dropped.

And yet you still have people acting like somehow the 49ers were the better team in that 2019 game with Jimmy being our QB and Patrick Mahomes having the weapons he had...

Yes this past season we had a great roster. We SHOULD have won it all. But in the end we lost two key players at spots that we couldn't afford to lose anyone in vs that opponent.

Just think about it...you lose one of the best LBers in the game vs a smart OC, the best QB in the game and the best receiving TE in the league. We all knew once Greenlaw went out the Chiefs would target the hell out of his backup.

Who can you ill afford to lose on the OL vs a blitz heavy and very smart DC with the best DT in the game these days? You guessed it...Feliciano was arguably our 2nd best OLman after Trent by the playoffs and Trent unfortunately chose the worst time to have his worst game while being healthy.

All that talent on offense can easily be shut down when your OL can't protect the QB. Same exact thing happened to Brady and the Pats in 2007.

Yeah man it was f**king heartbreaking. Totally get people being upset and emotional about it. I understand why folks want to blame one person…we're all saying take a step back and look at everything that happened. Apply context instead of being thick headed about it.

I think we will have an even more motivated team this yr. Guys who need to step up are gonna have to, in the biggest moments….And yes Kyle needs to look in the mirror and think about what he can approve upon as well.

Overall though it's some of your guys fault this discussion keeps going on. Stop feeding these trolls. Ignore them. Or do I what I do, add a clown emoji or an lol and move on. It's not worth giving some of these "grown men" their daily dose attention here because they don't get it elsewhere.

Dude, seriously you Kyle guys are a joke. Facts are he can't win the big game. You argue otherwise but the facts don't back your play. Not even remotely. 0-3. Proven superbowl loser. It's ok though we wiill win despite him. I love this team. Been a fan longer than most of you have been alive. I know a winner when I see one. Kyle ain't it. Elite team needs an elite coach not a guy who comes up short year in and year out. I have seen every excuse for his record. Look at the situation with open eyes. Kyle teams suffer from injuries to key players. Why? No qb has played injury free for more than one year under Kyle. Why? Lance, dips**t jimmy and Brock all got hutt. How about the fact that we were lucky to even be in the Super Bowl last year. Packers and lions were about to beat us. Where was your genius in those games? He may be a good coach but he is not good enough for me. Love the team but can't stand the coach. I have every right to voice my feelings given his record. Post all the clowns u want. It doesn't change the facts. Choker. 0-3. Kc's b***h, lacks killer instincts, and game plans qb's to the IR.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Careful now.. folks don't like hearing the truth in here. All his busted plays and strategies failed because the players did not execute. All the positive plays worked because he is a genius. Brock's success as an emerging elite qb is because Kyle made him great and so on…. how dare you say Kyle becomes less effective when it matters most? What proof do you have to back that up? By the way, you can't use all of his superbowl performances as evidence. Nope, folks don't want to hear that. And finally, you want him fired and think he is a terrible coach. I know you said otherwise but we are going to ignore that and demand you name his replacement. All hail the almighty Kyle! the Teflon genius who deserves no criticism.

Love this. Spot on.

Once again I'll ask this since you all keep missing it by some strange coincidence.

Which plays that you deem to be the wrong ones? Out of those plays which ones lost us the game in so called crunch time.

I keep seeing the "Kyle didn't call the right play or called the wrong play"…show us or just tell me what down/distance time it happened.

Anyone? Anyone?

Please rewatch the 3rd quarter of the SB. Right after the INT. Then use your BS to explain away why pass after pass was the right call, while the rest of the world openly questioned Kyle's strategy
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Love this. Spot on.

Anyone? Anyone?

Brock will end it by wining despite the bad coaching. great players overcome marginal coaches.
care to respond to the above ?

So people keep coming in here screaming nonsense without answering my question and proving specifics I asked for and then I need to respond to a post that came after my question first?

Seems fair…

But since I know I'll never get a legit response from these dudes since they don't have those, fine.

Kyle's job is to make things easier for his QB and his offense. He's done that the majority of the time but like any person he's not perfect. Those are the times you hope your QB is good enough to still find plays out of scheme or simply not make a bad playcall worse - like Matt Ryan in the SB for instance.

That's why I think Kyle and Brock are a great combo because they have that relationship.

BUT since we love to bring up how Kyle fails in the SB the fact is Brock had a play which if he reads properly and gets the ball to Aiyuk who based on Kyle's playcall is open on the play. The 49ers win the game and Kyle Shanahan wins a SB.

So basically once again that dude is talking out of his ass and can't find an argument to stick with.
Honestly it's kind of crazy if you stop and think about it. We made it to the SB with Jimmy G as the QB. Look at him with the Raiders. I got no bad blood for Jimmy but it's crystal clear the man wasn't anything special. Maybe it was because of his ACL injury or maybe once he had to run the offense and teams got a better look at him the overall play dropped.

And yet you still have people acting like somehow the 49ers were the better team in that 2019 game with Jimmy being our QB and Patrick Mahomes having the weapons he had...

Yes this past season we had a great roster. We SHOULD have won it all. But in the end we lost two key players at spots that we couldn't afford to lose anyone in vs that opponent.

Just think about it...you lose one of the best LBers in the game vs a smart OC, the best QB in the game and the best receiving TE in the league. We all knew once Greenlaw went out the Chiefs would target the hell out of his backup.

Who can you ill afford to lose on the OL vs a blitz heavy and very smart DC with the best DT in the game these days? You guessed it...Feliciano was arguably our 2nd best OLman after Trent by the playoffs and Trent unfortunately chose the worst time to have his worst game while being healthy.

All that talent on offense can easily be shut down when your OL can't protect the QB. Same exact thing happened to Brady and the Pats in 2007.

Yeah man it was f**king heartbreaking. Totally get people being upset and emotional about it. I understand why folks want to blame one person…we're all saying take a step back and look at everything that happened. Apply context instead of being thick headed about it.

I think we will have an even more motivated team this yr. Guys who need to step up are gonna have to, in the biggest moments….And yes Kyle needs to look in the mirror and think about what he can approve upon as well.

Overall though it's some of your guys fault this discussion keeps going on. Stop feeding these trolls. Ignore them. Or do I what I do, add a clown emoji or an lol and move on. It's not worth giving some of these "grown men" their daily dose attention here because they don't get it elsewhere.

Dude, seriously you Kyle guys are a joke. Facts are he can't win the big game. You argue otherwise but the facts don't back your play. Not even remotely. 0-3. Proven superbowl loser. It's ok though we wiill win despite him. I love this team. Been a fan longer than most of you have been alive. I know a winner when I see one. Kyle ain't it. Elite team needs an elite coach not a guy who comes up short year in and year out. I have seen every excuse for his record. Look at the situation with open eyes. Kyle teams suffer from injuries to key players. Why? No qb has played injury free for more than one year under Kyle. Why? Lance, dips**t jimmy and Brock all got hutt. How about the fact that we were lucky to even be in the Super Bowl last year. Packers and lions were about to beat us. Where was your genius in those games? He may be a good coach but he is not good enough for me. Love the team but can't stand the coach. I have every right to voice my feelings given his record. Post all the clowns u want. It doesn't change the facts. Choker. 0-3. Kc's b***h, lacks killer instincts, and game plans qb's to the IR.

You gonna cry?

What's hilarious is you went on that tear filled rant and at the end showed us once again why you're a hypocrite who doesn't even understand his own argument.

"He should've just ran the ball!!!"

"lacks killer instinct"

I don't believe for a second you're old enough to have been a fan long enough, no way a grown man is this incapable of building a rational point to stand behind.

You gonna cry?

What's hilarious is you went on that tear filled rant and at the end showed us once again why you're a hypocrite who doesn't even understand his own argument.

"He should've just ran the ball!!!"

"lacks killer instinct"

I don't believe for a second you're old enough to have been a fan long enough, no way a grown man is this incapable of building a rational point to stand behind.

love folks who say he should have ran it, disregarding what the defense is calling. Like there wasn't another team on the field.

the simplicity of some of their whining is f**king laughable.

"win despite him" so he played zero part of them even getting there, right? That totally goes against his whole HC is in control/responsible for W/L crap.

"Lacks killer instincts" BUT wants him to run the ball 3 times vs loaded boxes lolz.

Dude should just say he doesn't know football at all because that's what all his posts are showing

Love this. Spot on.

Anyone? Anyone?

It's pretty easy to identify a play. The 3rd and 4 at the 2 minute warning in the 4th quarter. We convert there and we increase our odds of winning tremendously. Spags beat Shanahan on that play. This wasn't a 3rd and 15, it was 3rd and 4. There are a lot of great options to call on that, and the one he called didn't work.

But like Bringbackedjr said, none of that matters to anyone that makes excuses for Shanahan. At the end of the day, we're all 49er fans here. Some of us are diehard fans and have been for a long time. We all want the same thing. And we can all have different opinions on how to get there or what mistakes were made along the way. Not sure why some here take other poster's opinions so personal. Just my 2 cents.
It's pretty easy to identify a play. The 3rd and 4 at the 2 minute warning in the 4th quarter. We convert there and we increase our odds of winning tremendously. Spags beat Shanahan on that play. This wasn't a 3rd and 15, it was 3rd and 4. There are a lot of great options to call on that, and the one he called didn't work.

But like Bringbackedjr said, none of that matters to anyone that makes excuses for Shanahan. At the end of the day, we're all 49er fans here. Some of us are diehard fans and have been for a long time. We all want the same thing. And we can all have different opinions on how to get there or what mistakes were made along the way. Not sure why some here take other poster's opinions so personal. Just my 2 cents.

You talking about the missed hot read from Brock?

this play?

he has BA open for a 1st down. How's that on Kyle? That's a missed read on the QB, easy ass 1st down if he read it properly.

The difference is a couple posters have no clue what they're b***hing about. They've decided to put ALL the blame on the HC, which is incredibly lazy. They don't acknowledge everything else that goes into W/Ls, which is pretty ignorant imo.

You got one poster proclaiming it's the HC and nothing else when it comes to W/Ls. He's the "leader" of the team…then he blames Kyle for losing the ATL SB when he's not even the HC. He can't even use his OWN reasoning for s**tting on Kyle lol. Not once has he said it's Quinn's fault. Hmmm wonder why 🤔 it's because his whole shtick is rooted in bias BS.

Opinions are fine. Criticism is fine. Doesn't mean you're not gonna get called out as a bias poster who's whole debate is littered in hypocritical nonsense. ☕️ 🐸
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 12, 2024 at 7:35 AM ]
I love my coach

• BP13
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DrEll:

Love this. Spot on.

Anyone? Anyone?

Please rewatch the 3rd quarter of the SB. Right after the INT. Then use your BS to explain away why pass after pass was the right call, while the rest of the world openly questioned Kyle's strategy
I'm no football expert, but my instincts tell me that the head coach of the NFL football team that was in the SB must know more about situational football, and the team that he built from the ground up, than fans posting on message boards in their basement man-caves. Just a hunch.
Originally posted by BP13:
I'm no football expert, but my instincts tell me that the head coach of the NFL football team that was in the SB must know more about situational football, and the team that he built from the ground up, than fans posting on message boards in their basement man-caves. Just a hunch.

And go look at the 3rd QR. first drive 2nd down Banks false start 2nd 15. Now they have to throw.

2nd series -8 yard play to Jennings 2nd and long. Have to throw the ball.

3rd series-CMC no gain on running the ball and it's 2nd and long. Now you need to throw the ball.

*This is all while they're selling out to stop the run and have their man cover CBs hold down the passing game (which BA was open quite a bit).

last series of the 3rd QR (into the 4th) they have a long drive and score a TD. Missed XP allowed KC to just have to kick a FG to tie it.

People love to complain instead investing anytime to understand the why something is done. Lazy

this play?
he has BA open for a 1st down. How's that on Kyle? That's a missed read on the QB, easy ass 1st down if he read it properly.

The difference is a couple posters have no clue what they're b***hing about. They've decided to put ALL the blame on the HC, which is incredibly lazy. They don't acknowledge everything else that goes into W/Ls, which is pretty ignorant imo.

You got one poster proclaiming it's the HC and nothing else when it comes to W/Ls. He's the "leader" of the team…then he blames Kyle for losing the ATL SB when he's not even the HC. He can't even use his OWN reasoning for s**tting on Kyle lol. Not once has he said it's Quinn's fault. Hmmm wonder why 🤔 it's because his whole shtick is rooted in bias BS.

Opinions are fine. Criticism is fine. Doesn't mean you're not gonna get called out as a bias poster who's whole debate is littered in hypocritical nonsense. ☕️ 🐸
Not sure if I would categorize that as an easy ass read. He had the blitzer right in his face. People can dissect each and every play and talk about what should have or could have happened. There's no arguing what actually happened. The play didn't work. The blame is and always should be shared in football. How much blame you assign to each guy is up to you.

But I think this is one of the reasons why these arguments go round and round. Some might imply that you're a Purdy hater and that you want to replace him. Some posters treat Shanahan criticism that way. That's just distracting from the potential for a productive conversation between people with different opinions. It doesn't make sense to me that posters are name calling and assuming they know what the other is thinking or feeling. If you don't understand someone's opinion, ask for clarity or accept that you agree to disagree and move on.

My opinion is that the people that are most responsible for the outcome of the game are the head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, and QB. How much influence each of them has varies based on the situation. In our case, Shanahan holds two of those positions. And I don't think he gives the QB a lot of freedom to change the play, slide protection, etc. I think he gives him two plays to choose from. Based on that, Kyle deserves a lot of credit when we win and a lot of blame when we lose.

this play?

Not sure if I would categorize that as an easy ass read. He had the blitzer right in his face. People can dissect each and every play and talk about what should have or could have happened. There's no arguing what actually happened. The play didn't work. The blame is and always should be shared in football. How much blame you assign to each guy is up to you.

But I think this is one of the reasons why these arguments go round and round. Some might imply that you're a Purdy hater and that you want to replace him. Some posters treat Shanahan criticism that way. That's just distracting from the potential for a productive conversation between people with different opinions. It doesn't make sense to me that posters are name calling and assuming they know what the other is thinking or feeling. If you don't understand someone's opinion, ask for clarity or accept that you agree to disagree and move on.

My opinion is that the people that are most responsible for the outcome of the game are the head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, and QB. How much influence each of them has varies based on the situation. In our case, Shanahan holds two of those positions. And I don't think he gives the QB a lot of freedom to change the play, slide protection, etc. I think he gives him two plays to choose from. Based on that, Kyle deserves a lot of credit when we win and a lot of blame when we lose.

This is why I asked the question and I appreciate you being man enough to respond...cuz the guys who have been running their mouth in here keep skipping by the question.

But NY already said what I was going to respond with.

Schematically the answer is there. I understand you want to blame the coach but when the answer to what the defense is there you can't blame the coach/playcaller.

Now I don't blame Brock either. It was well disguised and McDuffie is a stud on his own BUT I can guarantee you that if Brock had been in the league for a few years he likely makes that play to Aiyuk. This is the maturation of a QB and as well as Brock has played he was only in year 2. Some of these things you simply have to learn from and I'm confident he will.

But still - the play is there to be made and the QB doesn't make it. Blaming the HC for that play is odd to me.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
That was the difference maker right there. A healthy Greenlaw or Feliciano makes those one or two plays that win the game for you in the super bowl.

BUT that's Kyle's fault apparently lol. So was CMC fumbling and SF botching a punt return.

CMC fumbling was a disappointment. I don't think Roger Craig ever fumbled in the super bowls he played (I think). Credit to KC for forcing those turnovers.
Share 49ersWebzone