Compete in our 2024 NFL Pick ‘em contest →

There are 99 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by FanInFlorida:
Not sure if I would categorize that as an easy ass read. He had the blitzer right in his face. People can dissect each and every play and talk about what should have or could have happened. There's no arguing what actually happened. The play didn't work. The blame is and always should be shared in football. How much blame you assign to each guy is up to you.

But I think this is one of the reasons why these arguments go round and round. Some might imply that you're a Purdy hater and that you want to replace him. Some posters treat Shanahan criticism that way. That's just distracting from the potential for a productive conversation between people with different opinions. It doesn't make sense to me that posters are name calling and assuming they know what the other is thinking or feeling. If you don't understand someone's opinion, ask for clarity or accept that you agree to disagree and move on.

My opinion is that the people that are most responsible for the outcome of the game are the head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, and QB. How much influence each of them has varies based on the situation. In our case, Shanahan holds two of those positions. And I don't think he gives the QB a lot of freedom to change the play, slide protection, etc. I think he gives him two plays to choose from. Based on that, Kyle deserves a lot of credit when we win and a lot of blame when we lose.

Not dissecting the play is the damn problem with ya'll and your "let's blame Kyle no matter what stuff."

that play-call worked, Brock has made that read/throw multiple times in his short career. He didn't execute it. A play-call means absolutely nothing if the players don't run it properly.

I mean in what world is this a hard read/throw for a guy that we're gonna pay $200M to make?

you had no problem using this play as some well here's where Kyle f**ked up. So easy to find this…yet you couldn't even take the time to understand it and who's actually at fault on this specific play.

There's a real gray area full of context and nunace when he comes to winning and losing in football some of you should come over and check it out. Ya'll might learn something (that's not being mean either).

Acting like it's one or two coaches, the plays they call and/or just one player that determines the outcome of a game is so incredibly ignorant. We won a f**k ton of games despite Jimmy G being a avg to below avg QB.

Every player matters top to bottom. Whether it's Luter/Ray Ray f**king up a punt return, backup TE Willis getting called for holding, backup LBer Burks getting eaten alive in coverage, backup RG Buford going full simple jack on the biggest play of the game, our all-pro LT getting called for holding, or our OPOY fumbling in the RZ. It all mattered!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
That was the difference maker right there. A healthy Greenlaw or Feliciano makes those one or two plays that win the game for you in the super bowl.

BUT that's Kyle's fault apparently lol. So was CMC fumbling and SF botching a punt return.

Mahomes threw an INT at the worst of moments. Guess what ? His team overcame that mistake. Great coaches put you in positions to win. Kyle had ample opportunities to put that game away. What was it ? An 86% chance win rate on Sportstrakker at one point. Can't keep using player fault to excuse poor strategy. Especially when the opposite team makes mistakes then overcomes them.

But wait. Save your breath. Mahomes is the greatest thing like sliced bread. That's why KC won. Nothing to do with Kyle

I think Kyle will be just fine as a HC and will eventually win a Superbowl. I mean with Purdy, he's not dropped lower than the NFC Championship game. Even with Joe Montana - there was a stretch of years (1985 to 1988) where Montana *and* Walsh never got past the playoff division games.
Not dissecting the play is the damn problem with ya'll and your "let's blame Kyle no matter what stuff."

that play-call worked, Brock has made that read/throw multiple times in his short career. He didn't execute it. A play-call means absolutely nothing if the players don't run it properly.

I mean in what world is this a hard read/throw for a guy that we're gonna pay $200M to make?

you had no problem using this play as some well here's where Kyle f**ked up. So easy to find this…yet you couldn't even take the time to understand it and who's actually at fault on this specific play.

There's a real gray area full of context and nunace when he comes to winning and losing in football some of you should come over and check it out. Ya'll might learn something (that's not being mean either).

Acting like it's one or two coaches, the plays they call and/or just one player that determines the outcome of a game is so incredibly ignorant. We won a f**k ton of games despite Jimmy G being a avg to below avg QB.

Every player matters top to bottom. Whether it's Luter/Ray Ray f**king up a punt return, backup TE Willis getting called for holding, backup LBer Burks getting eaten alive in coverage, backup RG Buford going full simple jack on the biggest play of the game, our all-pro LT getting called for holding, or our OPOY fumbling in the RZ. It all mattered!

Man, I see a lot of excuses. But whatever, you can die on that hill, I don't care.
That was the difference maker right there. A healthy Greenlaw or Feliciano makes those one or two plays that win the game for you in the super bowl.

BUT that's Kyle's fault apparently lol. So was CMC fumbling and SF botching a punt return.

Mahomes threw an INT at the worst of moments. Guess what ? His team overcame that mistake. Great coaches put you in positions to win. Kyle had ample opportunities to put that game away. What was it ? An 86% chance win rate on Sportstrakker at one point. Can't keep using player fault to excuse poor strategy. Especially when the opposite team makes mistakes then overcomes them.

But wait. Save your breath. Mahomes is the greatest thing like sliced bread. That's why KC won. Nothing to do with Kyle

I think Kyle will be just fine as a HC and will eventually win a Superbowl. I mean with Purdy, he's not dropped lower than the NFC Championship game. Even with Joe Montana - there was a stretch of years (1985 to 1988) where Montana *and* Walsh never got past the playoff division games.

Shanahan has literally never made the playoffs with the 49ers and didn't go at least to the NFCCG.

That's superb and sh*ts all over the Kyle can't win the big one narrative. Yes the SB is the ultimate prize. He has to break through but EVERY playoff game is the big one. Any playoff game you lose...you're not winning the SB.

It's just bonkers to me that Shanahan is blamed for losing SBs when so much goes wrong that's out of his control and we kept making deep runs with Jimmy Garoppolo for crying out loud.

Played arguably our worst football in the playoffs last year and still took the Chiefs to OT and that was with two key injuries that impacted the game in a big way.

It honestly blows my mind how dramatic some people are when it comes to blaming the HC and ignoring logic and film.

Man, I see a lot of excuses. But whatever, you can die on that hill, I don't care.

I give you respect for answering my question but the play you listed doesn't qualify to what I asked. Which just reinforces the point that people blindly associate things to Kyle's failure when that's not the case.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Not sure if I would categorize that as an easy ass read. He had the blitzer right in his face. People can dissect each and every play and talk about what should have or could have happened. There's no arguing what actually happened. The play didn't work. The blame is and always should be shared in football. How much blame you assign to each guy is up to you.

But I think this is one of the reasons why these arguments go round and round. Some might imply that you're a Purdy hater and that you want to replace him. Some posters treat Shanahan criticism that way. That's just distracting from the potential for a productive conversation between people with different opinions. It doesn't make sense to me that posters are name calling and assuming they know what the other is thinking or feeling. If you don't understand someone's opinion, ask for clarity or accept that you agree to disagree and move on.

My opinion is that the people that are most responsible for the outcome of the game are the head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, and QB. How much influence each of them has varies based on the situation. In our case, Shanahan holds two of those positions. And I don't think he gives the QB a lot of freedom to change the play, slide protection, etc. I think he gives him two plays to choose from. Based on that, Kyle deserves a lot of credit when we win and a lot of blame when we lose.

If there is *one* thing that peeves me about Kyle is that he's too aggressive as a coach in the playoffs. He likes to get a first round knockout, and coast the rest of the game -- but at the higher playoff and super bowl levels, you have to go 12 rounds and get a Technical Knock out. It's in the playoffs and Superbowl's, you have to be patient and rely on execution more than play calling, simply because at these levels everything is so even - from coaching to player talent level. Now play calling *is* important and Kyle has a genius for it, but when he doesn't get an early knockout it seems that he starts pressing in the 4th quarter.

Good news is that it's only at the Superbowl level that he's having these kinds of problems. His coaching ceiling is still pretty high, especially if it's only hall of fame level coaches that can beat him.

If there is *one* thing that peeves me about Kyle is that he's too aggressive as a coach in the playoffs. He likes to get a first round knockout, and coast the rest of the game -- but at the higher playoff and super bowl levels, you have to go 12 rounds and get a Technical Knock out. It's in the playoffs and Superbowl's, you have to be patient and rely on execution more than play calling, simply because at these levels everything is so even - from coaching to player talent level. Now play calling *is* important and Kyle has a genius for it, but when he doesn't get an early knockout it seems that he starts pressing in the 4th quarter.

Good news is that it's only at the Superbowl level that he's having these kinds of problems. His coaching ceiling is still pretty high, especially if it's only hall of fame level coaches that can beat him.

It may have something to do with who he's faced in those SBs. The Chiefs with Andy Reid, Mahomes and Kelce. One of the top coaches in recent years and one of the best QBs throwing to one of the best TEs. Not an east task tobeat these guys in a playoff or championship game.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:

Shanahan has literally never made the playoffs with the 49ers and didn't go at least to the NFCCG.

That's superb and sh*ts all over the Kyle can't win the big one narrative. Yes the SB is the ultimate prize. He has to break through but EVERY playoff game is the big one. Any playoff game you lose...you're not winning the SB.

It's just bonkers to me that Shanahan is blamed for losing SBs when so much goes wrong that's out of his control and we kept making deep runs with Jimmy Garoppolo for crying out loud.

Played arguably our worst football in the playoffs last year and still took the Chiefs to OT and that was with two key injuries that impacted the game in a big way.

It honestly blows my mind how dramatic some people are when it comes to blaming the HC and ignoring logic and film.

Agree 💯%, and again I think a lot of posters who focus on the 0-3 record are conflating the responsibility with the cause of the losses. Yes Kyle is💯% responsible for the losses, he's the HC and runs everything, but at the same time, the cause of the losses is fumbles, injuries, and mental errors. Kyle, I'm sure, doesn't coach players to make those kinds of errors and mistakes.

What did you want Kyle to run on that 3rd down play? How much more open do you want your WR1 to be on that?

Why be so stubborn and refuse to breakdown a play that YOU "so easily" determined a bad play-call from Kyle?

your comment back that it's all excuses is exactly what someone who doesn't understand any of it would say. Pretty lame dude.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

It may have something to do with who he's faced in those SBs. The Chiefs with Andy Reid, Mahomes and Kelce. One of the top coaches in recent years and one of the best QBs throwing to one of the best TEs. Not an east task tobeat these guys in a playoff or championship game.

KC is one of the worst matchups for Kyle's system - the way it's set up. I think Kyle also has a 0-5 record against Jim Shwartz and his Wide 9 defense. Sort of like how Kyle always beats up on Sean McVay's team, but Seattle (under Russel Wilson) was always a problem for him. It is what it is.

Originally posted by genus49:
I give you respect for answering my question but the play you listed doesn't qualify to what I asked. Which just reinforces the point that people blindly associate things to Kyle's failure when that's not the case.

He answered your question with a play that wasn't bad at all…that should have been an easy 1st down that Brock has made multiple times. Our QB f**ked up. Happens.

play-calls don't mean jacks**t if the players don't execute the play perfectly. sure you can have a bad play that had no chance. That 3rd and 2 run with Juice was a bad call. Acting like it was all bad calls in the 2nd half "because I said so" is not how it works in the real world.

players matter…when mahomes can take a 15 yard drop back on 3rd 15 and chuck it 60 yards in the air to the fastest player in football, that's just great players being great. That's not an amazing play call by the HC.

same s**t on that mahomes 4th down run. Bosa bit on that play so god damn hard. He reads it better and it's ball game. That's great players NEEDING to be great at the most important time. We had a ton of that vs GB/DET and didn't get that at the end of the KC game.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Yeah drawing the Chiefs in each SB was a real b***h especially when you look into how each team was built.

It's been strength on strength in each game.

2019: Chiefs had the better offense, we had the better defense
2023: We had the better offense, they had the better defense

When you get to the game and you have situations like that it's about eliminating mistakes and taking advantage of the opportunities presented.

In the end in both games unfortunately our weaker units couldn't take advantage of their weaker units.

Jimmy G couldn't connect on anything and get any drives extended or missed Sanders on would be leading TD.
And our defense couldn't get stops this last one while the offense was getting leads.

Just sucks.
KC is one of the worst matchups for Kyle's system - the way it's set up. I think Kyle also has a 0-5 record against Jim Shwartz and his Wide 9 defense. Sort of like how Kyle always beats up on Sean McVay's team, but Seattle (under Russel Wilson) was always a problem for him. It is what it is.

I mean it's those man cover CBs and all the blitzing. Both CLE and KC have that (along with a great DL). We need man beater WRs. Also it's not like those weren't two of the top Ds last yr. Most teams struggled with them

Personally I wanted KC over Baltimore. SF was the better overall team. A couple dumb things don't happen and they win.

also I think our straight drop back passing isn't amazing. When SF is forced to throw the ball (playing from behind) it's not amazing. That's due to not being about to fool the D pre-snap, no play-action and true pass sets from our OL is not good.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 12, 2024 at 10:07 AM ]
What did you want Kyle to run on that 3rd down play? How much more open do you want your WR1 to be on that?

Why be so stubborn and refuse to breakdown a play that YOU "so easily" determined a bad play-call from Kyle?

your comment back that it's all excuses is exactly what someone who doesn't understand any of it would say. Pretty lame dude.

Because, like other posters have mentioned, it doesn't matter. I can provide what I consider solid reasoning and you won't understand it. We can agree to disagree and move on. I'm not going to change your mind and you won't change mine. I don't buy your reasoning just as you don't buy mine. I don't care.
Because, like other posters have mentioned, it doesn't matter. I can provide what I consider solid reasoning and you won't understand it. We can agree to disagree and move on. I'm not going to change your mind and you won't change mine. I don't buy your reasoning just as you don't buy mine. I don't care.

No it absolutely matters. You haven't provided any reasoning as to why that's a bad call….What was schematically wrong with that play? Give me context. What would you have called vs that defensive alignment/down and distance? Like I said was BA not open enough for you? Was there no play to be had? Has that play never worked previously?

What, players have no responsibility/accountability to actually run the play correctly?

A play not being completed doesn't make it a bad play. Thats the massive flaw in yours and others argument…you think its all play-calling and there's no human element to it. Play calls don't matter if all the players don't execute it. Also guess what there's also a great defense on the other side of the field that gets to play football too.

I don't have to change your mind…like a lot of people, instead of learning from others you'd rather root down in your bad take. I'll I'm doing is suppling objective context on the one play YOU provided.

you don't get to cry wolf with no real evidence of their being a wolf lol.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 12, 2024 at 12:16 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone