Compete in our 2024 NFL Pick ‘em contest →

There are 198 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by FanInFlorida:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
What did you want Kyle to run on that 3rd down play? How much more open do you want your WR1 to be on that?

Why be so stubborn and refuse to breakdown a play that YOU "so easily" determined a bad play-call from Kyle?

your comment back that it's all excuses is exactly what someone who doesn't understand any of it would say. Pretty lame dude.

Because, like other posters have mentioned, it doesn't matter. I can provide what I consider solid reasoning and you won't understand it. We can agree to disagree and move on. I'm not going to change your mind and you won't change mine. I don't buy your reasoning just as you don't buy mine. I don't care.

Film speaks for itself. This isn't an art piece where beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Guys are either NFL open or they're not. The play is either designed to beat the defense on that snap or it isn't. It's pretty cut and dry.

I asked that question for a reason and you're new and responded. There is a reason the other guys keep ignoring it because they don't actually have any examples of what I asked for.

None of the reasoning you could add to that specific play changes the simple fact that by design and based on what KC did on that specific play there was a pretty easy throw to make for a first down and likely SB win. That throw was not made.

It's no different than the 3rd and 4 play in OT where we had 2 guys wide open and had Burford did what he was COACHED to do on the play it's a TD play. Instead the kid "went with his gut" and the Chiefs best pass rush came in unblocked at Brock forcing the throw away.

Sure you can play the hypothetical game and do the "he should've ran it or he should've called a different pass play"...perhaps. But all we can evaluate are the plays on film and in those cases the plays were there to be made by the players. They were not.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by genus49:
I give you respect for answering my question but the play you listed doesn't qualify to what I asked. Which just reinforces the point that people blindly associate things to Kyle's failure when that's not the case.

He answered your question with a play that wasn't bad at all…that should have been an easy 1st down that Brock has made multiple times. Our QB f**ked up. Happens.

play-calls don't mean jacks**t if the players don't execute the play perfectly. sure you can have a bad play that had no chance. That 3rd and 2 run with Juice was a bad call. Acting like it was all bad calls in the 2nd half "because I said so" is not how it works in the real world.

players matter…when mahomes can take a 15 yard drop back on 3rd 15 and chuck it 60 yards in the air to the fastest player in football, that's just great players being great. That's not an amazing play call by the HC.

same s**t on that mahomes 4th down run. Bosa bit on that play so god damn hard. He reads it better and it's ball game. That's great players NEEDING to be great at the most important time. We had a ton of that vs GB/DET and didn't get that at the end of the KC game.

All true, you hit on all points. And I hate to see it so but I agree Brock Purdy f**ked up. It happens, I just wish it didn't happen in the Super Bowl. Which we all can agree on. Bosa also f**ked up like you pointed out, but a lot of DE's tend to do that, react before your eyes actually see the play. Try blaming that on Kyle too, that would fall in line with Dan Quinn not getting any blame for that Super Bowl loss.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I give you respect for answering my question but the play you listed doesn't qualify to what I asked. Which just reinforces the point that people blindly associate things to Kyle's failure when that's not the case.

He answered your question with a play that wasn't bad at all…that should have been an easy 1st down that Brock has made multiple times. Our QB f**ked up. Happens.

play-calls don't mean jacks**t if the players don't execute the play perfectly. sure you can have a bad play that had no chance. That 3rd and 2 run with Juice was a bad call. Acting like it was all bad calls in the 2nd half "because I said so" is not how it works in the real world.

players matter…when mahomes can take a 15 yard drop back on 3rd 15 and chuck it 60 yards in the air to the fastest player in football, that's just great players being great. That's not an amazing play call by the HC.

same s**t on that mahomes 4th down run. Bosa bit on that play so god damn hard. He reads it better and it's ball game. That's great players NEEDING to be great at the most important time. We had a ton of that vs GB/DET and didn't get that at the end of the KC game.

All true, you hit on all points. And I hate to see it so but I agree Brock Purdy f**ked up. It happens, I just wish it didn't happen in the Super Bowl. Which we all can agree on. Bosa also f**ked up like you pointed out, but a lot of DE's tend to do that, react before your eyes actually see the play. Try blaming that on Kyle too, that would fall in line with Dan Quinn not getting any blame for that Super Bowl loss.

Yeah I think Bosa crashing down was all scheme on defense. I'm pretty sure if you look back at the play he's throwing his hands up as like "wtf just happened" either there was a busted scrape exchange or we simply didn't account for it which goes along with his comments about them not expecting Mahomes to run with it.

Which of course takes us back to the difference in HCs. Andy Reid had Spags working his magic and not worrying about what he draws up and Kyle had Wilks rolling out the red carpet for Mahomes in the critical moments in the game.

Yet people will still act like Andy Reid did a better job preparing his team for that SB than Kyle did.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Yeah I think Bosa crashing down was all scheme on defense. I'm pretty sure if you look back at the play he's throwing his hands up as like "wtf just happened" either there was a busted scrape exchange or we simply didn't account for it which goes along with his comments about them not expecting Mahomes to run with it.

Which of course takes us back to the difference in HCs. Andy Reid had Spags working his magic and not worrying about what he draws up and Kyle had Wilks rolling out the red carpet for Mahomes in the critical moments in the game.

Yet people will still act like Andy Reid did a better job preparing his team for that SB than Kyle did.

Wilks and his defense started out hot, stopping KC's offense in the first half. Too bad though for that Greenlaw injury I bet that one had to hurt you if you were Wilks. I just wish Wilks would went with Winters when Oren Burks kept f**king up.

Brock is gonna be a real good QB if he improves in a couple spots. He's still a pup.

kyle isn't bulletproof. He can be criticized, blaming it all on any HC is so incredibly stupid.

also toss some respect on Spags. 4x SB winning DC. Bro took down one of the best offenses in the history of the league. He's proven to be one of the best DC's of our generation….and folks can pretend mahomes isn't special, they're only fooling themselves.

s**t even Trent Williams was expecting it lol. That's either a horrible play call or poor execution.

I agree Wilks was not doing his job. Feel like we had dudes 5 yards off all game. You have to put some of that on Kyle for hiring him in the first place…also it's hard to consistently replace good coaches and have continuity. KC for whatever reason hasn't been poached like SF has.
Originally posted by FanInFlorida:
You talking about the missed hot read from Brock?

this play?

he has BA open for a 1st down. How's that on Kyle? That's a missed read on the QB, easy ass 1st down if he read it properly.

The difference is a couple posters have no clue what they're b***hing about. They've decided to put ALL the blame on the HC, which is incredibly lazy. They don't acknowledge everything else that goes into W/Ls, which is pretty ignorant imo.

You got one poster proclaiming it's the HC and nothing else when it comes to W/Ls. He's the "leader" of the team…then he blames Kyle for losing the ATL SB when he's not even the HC. He can't even use his OWN reasoning for s**tting on Kyle lol. Not once has he said it's Quinn's fault. Hmmm wonder why 🤔 it's because his whole shtick is rooted in bias BS.

Opinions are fine. Criticism is fine. Doesn't mean you're not gonna get called out as a bias poster who's whole debate is littered in hypocritical nonsense. ☕️ 🐸
Not sure if I would categorize that as an easy ass read. He had the blitzer right in his face. People can dissect each and every play and talk about what should have or could have happened. There's no arguing what actually happened. The play didn't work. The blame is and always should be shared in football. How much blame you assign to each guy is up to you.

But I think this is one of the reasons why these arguments go round and round. Some might imply that you're a Purdy hater and that you want to replace him. Some posters treat Shanahan criticism that way. That's just distracting from the potential for a productive conversation between people with different opinions. It doesn't make sense to me that posters are name calling and assuming they know what the other is thinking or feeling. If you don't understand someone's opinion, ask for clarity or accept that you agree to disagree and move on.

My opinion is that the people that are most responsible for the outcome of the game are the head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, and QB. How much influence each of them has varies based on the situation. In our case, Shanahan holds two of those positions. And I don't think he gives the QB a lot of freedom to change the play, slide protection, etc. I think he gives him two plays to choose from. Based on that, Kyle deserves a lot of credit when we win and a lot of blame when we lose.
who is this goal post mover from the past ? lol
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
KC is one of the worst matchups for Kyle's system - the way it's set up. I think Kyle also has a 0-5 record against Jim Shwartz and his Wide 9 defense. Sort of like how Kyle always beats up on Sean McVay's team, but Seattle (under Russel Wilson) was always a problem for him. It is what it is.

I mean it's those man cover CBs and all the blitzing. Both CLE and KC have that (along with a great DL). We need man beater WRs. Also it's not like those weren't two of the top Ds last yr. Most teams struggled with them

Personally I wanted KC over Baltimore. SF was the better overall team. A couple dumb things don't happen and they win.

also I think our straight drop back passing isn't amazing. When SF is forced to throw the ball (playing from behind) it's not amazing. That's due to not being about to fool the D pre-snap, no play-action and true pass sets from our OL is not good.

I think one reason the drop back passing isn't amazing is the pass protection. The 49er interior line simply wasn't up to stopping KC's interior defensive rush. Another thing is Kyle's pass defense. Pass defense is a combination of Pass rush and Pass coverage, and Kyle's defenses had always average to above average pass defenders - versus the Walsh/Seifert pass defenses which were manned with hall of fame/all pro level DB's in Lott, Wright, Carlton, Deion, Eric Davis, Jeff Fuller, Merton Hanks etc...

I have a feeling we'll be seeing KC in the playoffs. The October 20 game against them at Levi's will tell me a lot as to where this team is vs last year. I hope ShanaLynch have learned their lessons from the 2019 and 2023 championship games vs KC. October 20 will be (for me) like 49ers vs the New York Giants games of the Dynasty Years.

Brock is gonna be a real good QB if he improves in a couple spots. He's still a pup.

kyle isn't bulletproof. He can be criticized, blaming it all on any HC is so incredibly stupid.

also toss some respect on Spags. 4x SB winning DC. Bro took down one of the best offenses in the history of the league. He's proven to be one of the best DC's of our generation….and folks can pretend mahomes isn't special, they're only fooling themselves.

Thanks for some sanity in this thread yes it's not all Kyle's fault but he does deserve some of the blame as does the whole team. We are a better team than KC we just got out coached and lost key players in the biggest game.

Brock will get much better in time IMO. He's got the gifts you can't coach and his weaknesses can be coached and fixed with time.
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Thanks for some sanity in this thread yes it's not all Kyle's fault but he does deserve some of the blame as does the whole team. We are a better team than KC we just got out coached and lost key players in the biggest game.

Brock will get much better in time IMO. He's got the gifts you can't coach and his weaknesses can be coached and fixed with time.

Yeah there's plenty of blame to go around. It wasn't even so much getting straight up out coached. SF had a couple more f**k ups and still had the lead in OT. Mahomes is a special player and that s**t showed up again unfortunately.

feel good about this team this yr

Yeah there's plenty of blame to go around. It wasn't even so much getting straight up out coached. SF had a couple more f**k ups and still had the lead in OT. Mahomes is a special player and that s**t showed up again unfortunately.

True Dat....Yes Mahomes is the magic man and yep many f ups by the niners. We had a magic man before and he wore 16.
I think one reason the drop back passing isn't amazing is the pass protection. The 49er interior line simply wasn't up to stopping KC's interior defensive rush. Another thing is Kyle's pass defense. Pass defense is a combination of Pass rush and Pass coverage, and Kyle's defenses had always average to above average pass defenders - versus the Walsh/Seifert pass defenses which were manned with hall of fame/all pro level DB's in Lott, Wright, Carlton, Deion, Eric Davis, Jeff Fuller, Merton Hanks etc...

I have a feeling we'll be seeing KC in the playoffs. The October 20 game against them at Levi's will tell me a lot as to where this team is vs last year. I hope ShanaLynch have learned their lessons from the 2019 and 2023 championship games vs KC. October 20 will be (for me) like 49ers vs the New York Giants games of the Dynasty Years.

Pass-pro is a real problem in true pass sets for sure. You do also need those man beaters on offense vs teams like KC/Clev. Kyle's gotta evolve a little bit imo.

We're gonna pay our QB $200M, you need to protect him and actually create a legit passing game when it's needed. I just don't see the pt in paying a QB the most money in the NFL and be dead last in passing attempts

Pass-pro is a real problem in true pass sets for sure. You do also need those man beaters on offense vs teams like KC/Clev. Kyle's gotta evolve a little bit imo.

We're gonna pay our QB $200M, you need to protect him and actually create a legit passing game when it's needed. I just don't see the pt in paying a QB the most money in the NFL and be dead last in passing attempts
We're still set up to keep focusing on OL going forward as most of the team is set, but it's not easy drafting late in the rounds

i don't see pass attempts being an issue if Brock continues to be accurate and efficient.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

f**k Andy Reid, Mahomes, Kelce and Taylor Swift!!!!

But you're right, that a*****e is a special player, not to mention he's with the right HC.
In sports it's not always someone's fault. Sometimes you just lose. Fans from losing tams have a hard time accepting that they just got outplayed. Maybe it was only on a few crucial plays but that's what most sports come down to.

In baseball a pitcher has a great game but gives up a walk and the next batter hits a HR. Othe rtyhan that he pitches great but the team loses. Was it his fault of did the batter just beat him on that pitch? After all hitters are paid to do that. Same in football. The 49ers outplay the Chiefs in the first half and then one weird bounce that causes a turnover on a punt and the Chiefs are suddenly back in the game. We go to OT and the Chiefs march right down the field and score after the Niners get a FG.. So Niner fans blame Kyle for taking the ball first. Okay why not blame the defense for not stopping the Chiefs and allowing them to get that easy TD. There's no guarantee that the Niners would have been able to score a TD if they had the ball first.

This blame Kyle thread has run long enough. We're not far away from summer camp and the new season. Time to move on. The players have to so the fans should as well.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jul 13, 2024 at 11:22 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone