There are 190 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Thank you. I already had the facts. Others may benefit from your advice though. By the way, how do you judge foolishness? Is it on a scale system, 1 being least foolish and 10 being the HC that did know the overtime rules and decided to take the ball? Wait, that can't be… Kyle is always right …even when he isn't.

For starters you actually thinking Kyle didn't know the OT rules…

Or you thinking that taking the ball is absolutely the wrong decision when analytics and the actual game favored the decision even if incredibly slightly.

When you can't point to a single play or decision that didn't kill the team or put them at a competitive disadvantage then bringing up the record is all you have.

After some time removed from the trauma of the superbowl loss, I've changed my mind on the OT decision. It was the right call. The defense was tired so if we gave KC the ball they would probably would have marched down and scored 7. We would score 7 and then KC gets the ball and wins with a field goal our D was spent and Greenlaws injury was a major hole in our D.

Just my perspective after some time away from the loss. I was on the why did he not give the ball to KC first team.

If that's the case, then Kyle needs to go into that overtime with the mentality of scoring a touchdown and nothing less. You know the probability of Mahomes scoring a TD is high so put you put it all on the table and go for the kill shot. Too bad he settled for a FG and expected that same tired defense to hold.

Kyle sucks.

When you have the same takes as 9moon it's time to rethink your arguments
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Thank you. I already had the facts. Others may benefit from your advice though. By the way, how do you judge foolishness? Is it on a scale system, 1 being least foolish and 10 being the HC that did know the overtime rules and decided to take the ball? Wait, that can't be… Kyle is always right …even when he isn't.

For starters you actually thinking Kyle didn't know the OT rules…

Or you thinking that taking the ball is absolutely the wrong decision when analytics and the actual game favored the decision even if incredibly slightly.

When you can't point to a single play or decision that didn't kill the team or put them at a competitive disadvantage then bringing up the record is all you have.

After some time removed from the trauma of the superbowl loss, I've changed my mind on the OT decision. It was the right call. The defense was tired so if we gave KC the ball they would probably would have marched down and scored 7. We would score 7 and then KC gets the ball and wins with a field goal our D was spent and Greenlaws injury was a major hole in our D.

Just my perspective after some time away from the loss. I was on the why did he not give the ball to KC first team.

If that's the case, then Kyle needs to go into that overtime with the mentality of scoring a touchdown and nothing less. You know the probability of Mahomes scoring a TD is high so put you put it all on the table and go for the kill shot. Too bad he settled for a FG and expected that same tired defense to hold.

Kyle sucks.

When you have the same takes as 9moon it's time to rethink your arguments

The probability of Mahomes scoring a TD was so high in fact that he hadn't done it in 6 quarters of football without getting the ball handed to him within the 20.

But sure...it was incredibly high probability!
Originally posted by Montana:
He definitely doesn't suck but in superbowls, I wanna see what drunk Kyle would do.

How about just a better DC? He got a better QB and the offense vs a great challenge from KC managed to get the lead every time in the 4th quarter and OT.

Kyle did his job even if people expect TDs and not FGs every time. Wilks didn't do his and yet people claim Kyle is the choker who can't get it done in key moments…

And yes we can blame Kyle for hiring Wilks in the first place but let's not forget Saleh was like his 3rd choice in 2017 and he turned into a really good DC who left for a HC job. DeMeco followed him and did the same thing.

Only so many DC candidates who fit our scheme available when our guys are getting hired after deep playoff runs. Hopefully Sorensen hits just like DeMeco did and sticks around for a few seasons.

The defense held the Chiefs to a measly 19 points through 4Q of football. Saying they didn't do their job Is ridiculous. Kyle deserves just as much blame as anyone for both super bowl losses.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by eastie:
Cowboys - u talkin about the 81 NFCCG.. right? The Catch would have been MEANINGLESS had Eric Wright did not catch 88 on a horse collar tackle...

SHANNY sucks... he can't game plan and he can't make the PROPER call when necessary !!

A coach that can get his team to the SB twice in 5 years, by definition, doesn't suck. The coach that rebuilt a team from nothing to greatness. Take your childish, insipid, trolling and go back under the rock that covers you. Or just maybe, grow up!

GREATNESS?

Yes, we define "greatness" by playoff appearances and SB losses. I'm willing to bet a lot of these guys have Kyle ranked as the second "greatest" coach in our storied history behind Walsh.

Right now, for me, he's vying for position with Jim Harbaugh. Right now Kyle and Jim are kind of sorta in the same rank or category. Now as for football knowledge - I rank Kyle over Jim. His drafts are better than Seifert's for sure.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Cowboys - u talkin about the 81 NFCCG.. right? The Catch would have been MEANINGLESS had Eric Wright did not catch 88 on a horse collar tackle...

SHANNY sucks... he can't game plan and he can't make the PROPER call when necessary !!

A coach that can get his team to the SB twice in 5 years, by definition, doesn't suck. The coach that rebuilt a team from nothing to greatness. Take your childish, insipid, trolling and go back under the rock that covers you. Or just maybe, grow up!

GREATNESS?

Yes, we define "greatness" by playoff appearances and SB losses. I'm willing to bet a lot of these guys have Kyle ranked as the second "greatest" coach in our storied history behind Walsh.

Right now, for me, he's vying for position with Jim Harbaugh. Right now Kyle and Jim are kind of sorta in the same rank or category. Now as for football knowledge - I rank Kyle over Jim. His drafts are better than Seifert's for sure.

Kyle is a better play caller no doubt. But Harbaugh had better situational awareness. If you watch that GB playoff game in the frigid cold, he made some ballsy calls going for it on 4th then allowing Kaep to finish on the final drive with his legs. Minus the final of moments of the SB (where Gore should have finished it), Harbaugh had a good track record with limited QB skill set.

Kyle fields the best unit year in and year out, and still doesn't f**king get it
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

GREATNESS?

Kyle is a better play caller no doubt. But Harbaugh had better situational awareness. If you watch that GB playoff game in the frigid cold, he made some ballsy calls going for it on 4th then allowing Kaep to finish on the final drive with his legs. Minus the final of moments of the SB (where Gore should have finished it), Harbaugh had a good track record with limited QB skill set.

Kyle fields the best unit year in and year out, and still doesn't f**king get it

Some differences between Kyle and Jim is experience as related to the NFL. Jim played and coached in the NFL whereas Kyle only coached. To me, that's a important difference between the two. Now, to be fair Kyle's had a Super Bowl dad that he learned from and Jim played under some one sided coaches who had some limitations.

Both coaches have lost super bowls, but both coaches fielded flawed defenses - ironically on the DB side. Great DLine, good LB"s, but flawed DB squads.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by Montana:
He definitely doesn't suck but in superbowls, I wanna see what drunk Kyle would do.

How about just a better DC? He got a better QB and the offense vs a great challenge from KC managed to get the lead every time in the 4th quarter and OT.

Kyle did his job even if people expect TDs and not FGs every time. Wilks didn't do his and yet people claim Kyle is the choker who can't get it done in key moments…

And yes we can blame Kyle for hiring Wilks in the first place but let's not forget Saleh was like his 3rd choice in 2017 and he turned into a really good DC who left for a HC job. DeMeco followed him and did the same thing.

Only so many DC candidates who fit our scheme available when our guys are getting hired after deep playoff runs. Hopefully Sorensen hits just like DeMeco did and sticks around for a few seasons.

The defense held the Chiefs to a measly 19 points through 4Q of football. Saying they didn't do their job Is ridiculous. Kyle deserves just as much blame as anyone for both super bowl losses.

You act like the Chiefs offense was special this past season. They were middle of the pack. Their defense however was dominant and got better as the year went along.

Funny how people have no problem throwing around the choke label and talking about Kyle's struggles late in the SB but somehow when it comes to the defense that doesn't apply.

Asking the defense to hold the lead at the end shouldn't be something shocking.

Situational awareness for Harbs? Letting the play clock roll down to zero all the damn time forcing to call TOs or get a delay of game?

in the biggest moment in his career he hands the ball off to LMJ (a guy he hand picked to be drafted here), has two pass plays rolling to the right taking half the field away in the RZ THEN a f**king fade to Crabtree? I haven't seen a worst set of play calls in the biggest moment ever…If that was Kyle you'd be having a meltdown.

harbs track record is losing in a SB and NFCC. Using Harbs to prove how Kyle is a choker or whatever ain't it man.

who f**king created this current roster to begin with lol? Kyle derp
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 15, 2024 at 10:11 AM ]

GREATNESS?

Some differences between Kyle and Jim is experience as related to the NFL. Jim played and coached in the NFL whereas Kyle only coached. To me, that's a important difference between the two. Now, to be fair Kyle's had a Super Bowl dad that he learned from and Jim played under some one sided coaches who had some limitations.

Both coaches have lost super bowls, but both coaches fielded flawed defenses - ironically on the DB side. Great DLine, good LB"s, but flawed DB squads.

I have that dude blocked but was curious where the Harbaugh talk came from.

How can anyone in their right mind talk about Harbaugh being a better at situational awareness? The only difference was we had real horses on OL when Harbaugh was here so we could line up and just run the game out. Kyle's offense isn't built the same way and after we lost guys in free agency, including Delanie Walker, Harbaugh could no longer do the same thing.

Let's forget about the horrendous playcalling gaffs in the SB...including the whole disaster when the team was actually in first and goal at the 7 and Frank Gore never saw a single run and the awful play calling design within the redzone we had led to a timeout wiping out what should've been a TD play.
You act like the Chiefs offense was special this past season. They were middle of the pack. Their defense however was dominant and got better as the year went along.

Funny how people have no problem throwing around the choke label and talking about Kyle's struggles late in the SB but somehow when it comes to the defense that doesn't apply.

Asking the defense to hold the lead at the end shouldn't be something shocking.

Yup acting like we didn't invest in that defense and the offense was the only thing we had is silly.

Niners had the lead with under 4mins left in the game AND had the lead in OT. Defense didn't get the job done either.

like I said folks want to blame an OC for losing the ATL SB BUT can't acknowledge a DC losing it all the same. Folks can't keep s**t objective because they have a narrative to keep up. It's clear as day

And I don't even know what people are seriously debating at this point. Ya'll actually think he's a bad coach? If so, you're incredibly ignorant and caught up in your feelings.

If you're debating if he's great (or not) okay there's a debate to be had…I think there's only a couple "great" head coaches in the history of the NFL.

There are NOT 5 better HCs in the league currently. I will argue that s**t all day. I will argue that there is context in every single win and loss to a football game and some people can't have that conversation for obvious reasons.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
And I don't even know what people are seriously debating at this point. Ya'll actually think he's a bad coach? If so, you're incredibly ignorant and caught up in your feelings.

If you're debating if he's great (or not) okay there's a debate to be had…I think there's only a couple "great" head coaches in the history of the NFL.

There are NOT 5 better HCs in the league currently. I will argue that s**t all day. I will argue that there is context in every single win and loss to a football game and some people can't have that conversation for obvious reasons.

I think most would agree with him being a top 5 head coach right now, but he's not without fault either.

Those 4th Q struggles In super bowls are still there.

GREATNESS?

Is his dad MIKE consider a GREAT COACH?

That's a conversation worth having. What makes a GREAT HC?

Winning SBs? Sure...but how?

Bill Belichick is easily the best HC of this generation. 6 SB wins and 9 trips to the SB in 24 years is an amazing accomplishment.

But then you look at Bill Belichick without Tom Brady and you get 0 SB appearances, 1 playoff appearance where they went one and done and lost by 30 points and 4 losing seasons out of 6 seasons Brady wasn't the starter most of the season for the Pats.

Andy Reid is #2...what is he without Patrick Mahomes? What is he with Paxton Lynch and no Mahomes or Chris Jones?

Seems like there is a correlation to greatness when you have greatness at the QB position to help you win big games.

The way the Chiefs offense looked to start that SB and until Greenlaw got hurt can anyone really make the claim that Andy Reid had that offense ready to roll?

That's a conversation worth having. What makes a GREAT HC?

Winning SBs? Sure...but how?

Bill Belichick is easily the best HC of this generation. 6 SB wins and 9 trips to the SB in 24 years is an amazing accomplishment.

But then you look at Bill Belichick without Tom Brady and you get 0 SB appearances, 1 playoff appearance where they went one and done and lost by 30 points and 4 losing seasons out of 6 seasons Brady wasn't the starter most of the season for the Pats.

Andy Reid is #2...what is he without Patrick Mahomes? What is he with Paxton Lynch and no Mahomes or Chris Jones?

Seems like there is a correlation to greatness when you have greatness at the QB position to help you win big games.

The way the Chiefs offense looked to start that SB and until Greenlaw got hurt can anyone really make the claim that Andy Reid had that offense ready to roll?

BOTH our Super Bowl KC lost were because of Kyle not knowing how to coach... we were the better teams at both times, and he did not know how to use it..
Share 49ersWebzone