LISTEN: Baldy Breaks Down The 49ers →

There are 112 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Need his players to not get hurt. It's that simple man. They don't lose that game if Greenlaw, Deebo, Feliciano, Kittle don't get hurt.

Brock needs more reps to feel even more confident in what he's seeing. That missed hot read on 3rd down was pretty massive.

for me, I would prefer the QB had more control of protections compared to the center. They need better pass-protection on true pass sets. They need a better center, especially if he's gonna control all the protection calls. Brendel was awful in the SB.

1000%
Originally posted by illinois9er:
Need his players to not get hurt. It's that simple man. They don't lose that game if Greenlaw, Deebo, Feliciano, Kittle don't get hurt.

Brock needs more reps to feel even more confident in what he's seeing. That missed hot read on 3rd down was pretty massive.

for me, I would prefer the QB had more control of protections compared to the center. They need better pass-protection on true pass sets. They need a better center, especially if he's gonna control all the protection calls. Brendel was awful in the SB.

1000%

I agree that a good center is needed. Most of the great teams have a great center including the Niner teams of the 80s. It's a spot that gets very little attention since he's hidden in the middle of the line but the call outs he makes as well as his ability to take on those big nose tackles can't be overstated.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
I will throw out a question for the die hard Kyle supporters- What does Kyle need to improve or change to make him a better coach and how will those changes help the team?

lol. You posed a question, first thing the Shanafans did was blame the players. It's becoming cult like. No one wants to address the elephant in the room. It's all about the players doing better….
I will throw out a question for the die hard Kyle supporters- What does Kyle need to improve or change to make him a better coach and how will those changes help the team?

Here's a question for you die-hard detractors, of the 32 head coaches, which ones would you rather have than Kyle?
Originally posted by DrEll:

lol. You posed a question, first thing the Shanafans did was blame the players. It's becoming cult like. No one wants to address the elephant in the room. It's all about the players doing better….

Irony in this is that player performance is still on the coach. I get the nuance of it, but in the end it all goes back to the head coach. And since Kyle has a lot of say in personnel decisions as well, that just adds to it.
[ Edited by Cisco0623 on Jul 16, 2024 at 8:15 AM ]

I was actually curious about this too. Hopefully, we're all Kyle supporters, but for some, I was wondering what they thought Kyle needed to improve on (if anything) to get us over the hump.

For me, it's not the X's and O's, but strategic/emotional awareness. Somebody asked me earlier to bring up a play I thought Kyle missed on and I brought up the 3rd and 4 at the 2 minute warning in the last Super Bowl. I'm curious to know if Kyle took advantage of the 2 minute warning break and talked to Brock about the play he was going to call. Did he tell him "Hey Brock, here's the play we're going to run. If you see X or Y defense, remember to do this. Based on our prep, you can expect to see Spags do this.". Sometimes, these reminders make a world of difference. I'm also curious to know if that play was a big part of the game plan or if it was a big part of the practice reps for the week or if it was just a regular play we've had in the playbook all season. He also could have asked Brock if there was a play he loved in that moment. May seem odd to some for a seasoned play caller to ask his 7th round QB what play he'd like to run but I think it's important that the QB have input. You never know, maybe there was a play in the game plan that Brock loved and knew he would convert that Kyle wasn't thinking about .

It was also a great opportunity to gather the whole offence together and refocus them, reenergize them, inspire them to play their best for that one moment. Kyle doesn't strike me as that type of coach. If he's not, I'd like to see him bring in someone that can help there. Sometimes it's a coach, sometimes it's a player. I'm wondering if we're missing that personality type, especially on offense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by eastie:
Cowboys - u talkin about the 81 NFCCG.. right? The Catch would have been MEANINGLESS had Eric Wright did not catch 88 on a horse collar tackle...

SHANNY sucks... he can't game plan and he can't make the PROPER call when necessary !!

A coach that can get his team to the SB twice in 5 years, by definition, doesn't suck. The coach that rebuilt a team from nothing to greatness. Take your childish, insipid, trolling and go back under the rock that covers you. Or just maybe, grow up!

GREATNESS?

Yes, we define "greatness" by playoff appearances and SB losses. I'm willing to bet a lot of these guys have Kyle ranked as the second "greatest" coach in our storied history behind Walsh.

Right now, for me, he's vying for position with Jim Harbaugh. Right now Kyle and Jim are kind of sorta in the same rank or category. Now as for football knowledge - I rank Kyle over Jim. His drafts are better than Seifert's for sure.

Kyle is a better play caller no doubt. But Harbaugh had better situational awareness. If you watch that GB playoff game in the frigid cold, he made some ballsy calls going for it on 4th then allowing Kaep to finish on the final drive with his legs. Minus the final of moments of the SB (where Gore should have finished it), Harbaugh had a good track record with limited QB skill set.

Kyle fields the best unit year in and year out, and still doesn't f**king get it

Some differences between Kyle and Jim is experience as related to the NFL. Jim played and coached in the NFL whereas Kyle only coached. To me, that's a important difference between the two. Now, to be fair Kyle's had a Super Bowl dad that he learned from and Jim played under some one sided coaches who had some limitations.

Both coaches have lost super bowls, but both coaches fielded flawed defenses - ironically on the DB side. Great DLine, good LB"s, but flawed DB squads.

I have that dude blocked but was curious where the Harbaugh talk came from.

How can anyone in their right mind talk about Harbaugh being a better at situational awareness? The only difference was we had real horses on OL when Harbaugh was here so we could line up and just run the game out. Kyle's offense isn't built the same way and after we lost guys in free agency, including Delanie Walker, Harbaugh could no longer do the same thing.

Let's forget about the horrendous playcalling gaffs in the SB...including the whole disaster when the team was actually in first and goal at the 7 and Frank Gore never saw a single run and the awful play calling design within the redzone we had led to a timeout wiping out what should've been a TD play.

To me, both coaches are comparable because both coaches have lost Superbowl's - and both offensive systems are very similar. i.e. heavy run game and limited passing game. Both have had brain farts in the Superbowl, was my situational awareness point, but both are considered very good coaches. To me they lost very similarly, and that was because they fielded a flawed defense that couldn't shut down the pass in the 4th Qtr when they are ahead. (at least that's true for Kyle)

Again, I think both coaches have similar coaching characteristics in that they are both very aggressive but in different ways. It will be interesting if/when they coach against each other to see how they call their games. As for winning the Superbowl - both haven't won the Superbowl yet - and Harbaugh is nearing 60. Kyle's not even 44 yet.
To me, both coaches are comparable because both coaches have lost Superbowl's - and both offensive systems are very similar. i.e. heavy run game and limited passing game. Both have had brain farts in the Superbowl, was my situational awareness point, but both are considered very good coaches. To me they lost very similarly, and that was because they fielded a flawed defense that couldn't shut down the pass in the 4th Qtr when they are ahead. (at least that's true for Kyle)

Again, I think both coaches have similar coaching characteristics in that they are both very aggressive but in different ways. It will be interesting if/when they coach against each other to see how they call their games. As for winning the Superbowl - both haven't won the Superbowl yet - and Harbaugh is nearing 60. Kyle's not even 44 yet.

I think they'd be good together. JH as the head coach and KS as the offensive coordinator. Can we make that happen?
Originally posted by FanInFlorida:

I think they'd be good together. JH as the head coach and KS as the offensive coordinator. Can we make that happen?

Ya it's happening tomorrow.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Not unless one or the other is fired at their current jobs.

BOTH our Super Bowl KC lost were because of Kyle not knowing how to coach... we were the better teams at both times, and he did not know how to use it..

How about you explain that? Just stating it without context doesn't make it a fact.

I could argue if Jimmy hits Sanders (or a wide open Bourne) they win. If the D stopped Mahomes on a 3rd and 15 odds greatly improve of SF winning. Under 4 mins left they have the lead this past SB. Missed XP forced KC to only have to kick a FG instead of trying to score a TD. They had the lead in OT. Brock makes the correct read on a 3rd down, it changes the whole game. That's not even talking about muffed punt return or backup players playing awful.

so no I don't agree it wasn't because he didn't know how to coach.

bruh - even KC veteran on the the D side stated how happy they were we stopped running the ball... not sure how long you've been following the game, but there were Super Bowls won because of the HC and their game planning alone..

That would be a terrible combo. Shanahan would be constantly infuriated by Harbaugh's ancient offensive philosophies.

Shanahan is also a far superior head coach when it comes to working with the front office, maintaining a mature veteran locker room, interacting with the media, and as a teacher of strategic concepts. The Ws on Sunday are always the priority, but being an NFL head coach is far more than just that.
[ Edited by captveg on Jul 16, 2024 at 10:09 AM ]
AGAIN - Kyle being clueless when it matters most will continue to be exposed... that last pass play he called, he couldn't figure out a way that a young 74 is blocking an all pro 95, and while we still have a young QB to even see that, Kyle shoulda been the one to realize that a FB should have been in the play helping out the OL block.. But, he was too concern about calling a PRETTY PLAY instead of just using the best RB in FB to gain a first down in 2 tries...

lol get that f**k out of here with that…burford had played and started in 29 games. Pickup the block your SUPPOSE to make. Period. Blaming that on coaching is incredibly ignorant.

Acting like Brock has never seen a blitz call before is also being silly man. He called a play that had BA wide f**king open and JJ would have been if Burford literally put his hands on Jones.

Play calling doesn't mean jack s**t if a player can't execute it. You need to understand that instead of forcing yourself to hate a HC because it's easy.

NON SENSE !!! the play was going to 15 no matter what, YUCK just got opened over the top but that play was obviously going to 15... I don't care what you say about 74, you don't block 95 one on one w/a young guy on an important play..

WHY is it so hard for you SHANANYGANS to accept the fact that he was the one to blame for the two KC losses in the Super Bowl?
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Irony in this is that player performance is still on the coach. I get the nuance of it, but in the end it all goes back to the head coach. And since Kyle has a lot of say in personnel decisions as well, that just adds to it.

That's a trash take. Where do you draw the line between player execution and coaching? You act like the coach controls the players. They're grown men who can be drilled on things for so long before they have to go out and respond on the field.

You think Shanahan didn't drill ball control into his players? Think CMC hasn't been coaching his whole football career to not fumble? Burford literally knew his assignment but decided to go with his gut on the play. What do you expect the coach to do? Read the kid's mind and use telekinesis to move him to the correct gap instead?

Coaches impact player performance by ensuring they practice properly, work on the fundamentals, teach them how they can do their job better. Nothing we've heard come out from current/former players/coaches about Kyle say that he doesn't have his guys prepared like the best of them.

I've asked many times in this thread for someone to show me a play that Kyle dialed up that clearly put our players in a bad spot schematically. Like a play where there was no answer vs the defensive look we saw. There has been only one response to that question and it was a new poster and his example was on the play Brock didn't identify the blitz properly and had a wide open Aiyuk for would be first down that likely allows us to run out the clock and kick the game winning FG avoiding OT.

Feel free to post a play that Kyle put the team in a disadvantage schematically that cost us the game. I can point to a few from Wilks.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by eastie:
Cowboys - u talkin about the 81 NFCCG.. right? The Catch would have been MEANINGLESS had Eric Wright did not catch 88 on a horse collar tackle...

SHANNY sucks... he can't game plan and he can't make the PROPER call when necessary !!

A coach that can get his team to the SB twice in 5 years, by definition, doesn't suck. The coach that rebuilt a team from nothing to greatness. Take your childish, insipid, trolling and go back under the rock that covers you. Or just maybe, grow up!

GREATNESS?

Yes, we define "greatness" by playoff appearances and SB losses. I'm willing to bet a lot of these guys have Kyle ranked as the second "greatest" coach in our storied history behind Walsh.

Right now, for me, he's vying for position with Jim Harbaugh. Right now Kyle and Jim are kind of sorta in the same rank or category. Now as for football knowledge - I rank Kyle over Jim. His drafts are better than Seifert's for sure.

Kyle is a better play caller no doubt. But Harbaugh had better situational awareness. If you watch that GB playoff game in the frigid cold, he made some ballsy calls going for it on 4th then allowing Kaep to finish on the final drive with his legs. Minus the final of moments of the SB (where Gore should have finished it), Harbaugh had a good track record with limited QB skill set.

Kyle fields the best unit year in and year out, and still doesn't f**king get it

Some differences between Kyle and Jim is experience as related to the NFL. Jim played and coached in the NFL whereas Kyle only coached. To me, that's a important difference between the two. Now, to be fair Kyle's had a Super Bowl dad that he learned from and Jim played under some one sided coaches who had some limitations.

Both coaches have lost super bowls, but both coaches fielded flawed defenses - ironically on the DB side. Great DLine, good LB"s, but flawed DB squads.

I have that dude blocked but was curious where the Harbaugh talk came from.

How can anyone in their right mind talk about Harbaugh being a better at situational awareness? The only difference was we had real horses on OL when Harbaugh was here so we could line up and just run the game out. Kyle's offense isn't built the same way and after we lost guys in free agency, including Delanie Walker, Harbaugh could no longer do the same thing.

Let's forget about the horrendous playcalling gaffs in the SB...including the whole disaster when the team was actually in first and goal at the 7 and Frank Gore never saw a single run and the awful play calling design within the redzone we had led to a timeout wiping out what should've been a TD play.

I couldn't disagree more with this take. Harbaugh's offense was successful because our OL was the best in the NFL at the time and we had the best 2 TE set in the game.

Once Kap took over and brought in his ability in the run game it really made us dangerous but schematically they're very different even from the blocking perspective.

Also yes they both lost but Kyle lost to Patrick Mahomes and a Chiefs team that has made it to at least the AFCCG every season since Mahomes became the starter. Harbaugh lost to a team coached by his big brother and Joe Flacco. They are not comparable. Especially because we needed a blackout in that game and Ravens to lose all their momentum to climb back into the game.

As I said before I think Kyle's big drawback is he's too smart for his own good sometimes. He sees Xs and Os very well but sometimes you just have to run out your big boys and hold that ball tight as F and try to find a hole and grind that clock.

Tho to be fair this past SB the opportunity to do that wasn't there. It's like some people are so focused on the outcome from the Falcons SB loss and the 2019 loss that they ignore the circumstances from this last SB loss being drastically different.

The offense did it's job. Sure TDs > FGs but a lead is also a lead. This KC offense was the worst the Chiefs have had by FAR in the Mahomes era. The defense needed to close it out. Unfortunately our DC pulled out the red carpet for Mahomes on that OT drive and yet a few here refuse to put blame on him...or when they do it's with "but Kyle hired him so it's on him"
Share 49ersWebzone