LISTEN: Baldy Breaks Down The 49ers →

There are 109 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I'm curious about what you mean when you say Harbaugh's QB ( Herbert) is like Brock Purdy. The two aren't physically alike at all. Herbert is 5 inches taller and faster. He has a stronger arm. I know your aware of the physical differences so what are you comparing?

Well, I think Kyle moved on from the Kirk Cousins/Jimmy Garoppolo QB model with the advent of Trey and Brock. I like the fact that Tanner Mordecai and Josh Dobb's are backing up Brock. These three are pretty much in the same Mould of a mobile accurate QB. Harbaugh moved on from Alex Smith toward Colin, in a similar fashion in a roundabout sense.

I think Jim is going to make Justin a good QB for sure, if he can do to Justin what he did for Alex.

I think people are giving Jim/Greg too much credit for Alex's career revival. If you go and listen to Alex speak about how things went down with Nolan/Singletary you'll realize it was more with how Alex was overthinking things and how little support he was getting from those guys.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Shane Day isn't gonna show Roman anything.

Well Shane did ok with CJ Stroud.

CJ is a hell of a player. Had far more to do with the offense though than anything Day knows. Got fired with the previous offensive staff in Los Angeles for a reason.
I'm curious about what you mean when you say Harbaugh's QB ( Herbert) is like Brock Purdy. The two aren't physically alike at all. Herbert is 5 inches taller and faster. He has a stronger arm. I know your aware of the physical differences so what are you comparing?

Well, I think Kyle moved on from the Kirk Cousins/Jimmy Garoppolo QB model with the advent of Trey and Brock. I like the fact that Tanner Mordecai and Josh Dobb's are backing up Brock. These three are pretty much in the same Mould of a mobile accurate QB. Harbaugh moved on from Alex Smith toward Colin, in a similar fashion in a roundabout sense.

I think Jim is going to make Justin a good QB for sure, if he can do to Justin what he did for Alex.

"I think Jim is going to make Justin a good QB for sure, if he can do to Justin what he did for Alex." Oh, like give him the same OC for more than one season? That will help, no doubt. Alex, coming into the NFL at a young age, sure could have used some stability at the OC position early on but it wasn't meant to be.
Originally posted by eastie:

"I think Jim is going to make Justin a good QB for sure, if he can do to Justin what he did for Alex." Oh, like give him the same OC for more than one season? That will help, no doubt. Alex, coming into the NFL at a young age, sure could have used some stability at the OC position early on but it wasn't meant to be.

HERBERT already good.. he's one of the few QBs that can play in any type of offense.. Harbaugh however will keep him under control and wont be putting up amazing type of numbers..
Originally posted by 9moon:

HERBERT already good.. he's one of the few QBs that can play in any type of offense.. Harbaugh however will keep him under control and wont be putting up amazing type of numbers..

Herbert isn't as accurate as Purdy but he's certainly more athletic. It will be interesting to see how Harbaugh uses him. He didn't exactly run a wide open offense with McCarthy at Michigan. The Chargers don't have much at WR after losing Keenan Allen and Mike Williams so Herbert doesn't really have great weapons.
Really solid preview of the 2024 team as they currently stand. Backs up the analysis of Brock, the OL issues, etc. Not really much I disagree with really. Shows how solid a roster ShanaLynch have built.

interesting
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jul 20, 2024 at 5:52 PM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:

interesting

Was expected, due to the post-season surgery for his torn meniscus.
Herbert isn't as accurate as Purdy but he's certainly more athletic. It will be interesting to see how Harbaugh uses him. He didn't exactly run a wide open offense with McCarthy at Michigan. The Chargers don't have much at WR after losing Keenan Allen and Mike Williams so Herbert doesn't really have great weapons.

Is Herbert really that much more athletic than Brock tho?

He's bigger but short area quickness which is key in the pocket I feel like Brock actually has the edge. Maybe if you're taking in all the athletic ability and size then Herbert certainly is the prototype vs Brock but I definitely think Brock stacks up athletic ability wise if we're just talking mobility.
Was really not too sure about John Lynch as GM as he had prior very little to no experience. But now after having a mainly winning era for him and Kyle, I am getting sold on them.

John & Kyle have done a pretty good job of keeping this team competitive. Other than injuries,which nobody can control, the 49ers have been very consistent since they took over the team. Some head scratchers in the draft but that can be a crapshoot anyway. I'm glad we have them. The Trey Lance pick set us back, but getting Purdy worked out just fine so far. Besides that, they seem to have better picks in the mid rounds anyway. JMHO and I have been fan of the team since the late 70's when they traded for OJ Anyway, I want the season to start like yesterday Go Niners!!!!!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:

I think people are giving Jim/Greg too much credit for Alex's career revival. If you go and listen to Alex speak about how things went down with Nolan/Singletary you'll realize it was more with how Alex was overthinking things and how little support he was getting from those guys.

Jim's a good coach. He *lucked* into Andrew Luck, and did have a positive impact on Alex, and he did have a good QB (whether he lucked into him or not) to win the National Championship at michigan - I leave that to Michigan fans, but he's been around good QB's and I don't think it's by accident. He now has some good talent to work with at the Chargers - and I'm still a big fan of his. Of course, not when he's playing us though. But I think he can damage KC's playoff hopes this year.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Shane Day isn't gonna show Roman anything.

Well Shane did ok with CJ Stroud.

CJ is a hell of a player. Had far more to do with the offense though than anything Day knows. Got fired with the previous offensive staff in Los Angeles for a reason.

Kyle and Jim are very similar in their offensive approaches - strong run game and a QB that doesn't throw a ton. I think Jim and Greg are going to make the Charger's offense be productive. Not saying Jim will work miracles with his current QB's, but maybe he can do at least a card trick or two - to earn a 2nd contract from the Charger's ownership. Jim's QB is big and athletic, and that goes a long way to having a good offense. Jim's offensive line looks pretty good too.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:

Match a good QB with a great run game, and any QB will look good.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cg9erSF:
John & Kyle have done a pretty good job of keeping this team competitive. Other than injuries,which nobody can control, the 49ers have been very consistent since they took over the team. Some head scratchers in the draft but that can be a crapshoot anyway. I'm glad we have them. The Trey Lance pick set us back, but getting Purdy worked out just fine so far. Besides that, they seem to have better picks in the mid rounds anyway. JMHO and I have been fan of the team since the late 70's when they traded for OJ Anyway, I want the season to start like yesterday Go Niners!!!!!!

Kyle's lost so many good defensive coaches, and I hope they got a good one in the current crop. My hope is that they can stabilize that side of the ball. Draft comp picks are nice and all that, but if Kyle can get some stability there coaching-wise, I think that will more than offset the loss in Draft comps.
Share 49ersWebzone