LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 187 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Cg9erSF:
John & Kyle have done a pretty good job of keeping this team competitive. Other than injuries,which nobody can control, the 49ers have been very consistent since they took over the team. Some head scratchers in the draft but that can be a crapshoot anyway. I'm glad we have them. The Trey Lance pick set us back, but getting Purdy worked out just fine so far. Besides that, they seem to have better picks in the mid rounds anyway. JMHO and I have been fan of the team since the late 70's when they traded for OJ Anyway, I want the season to start like yesterday Go Niners!!!!!!

Kyle's lost so many good defensive coaches, and I hope they got a good one in the current crop. My hope is that they can stabilize that side of the ball. Draft comp picks are nice and all that, but if Kyle can get some stability there coaching-wise, I think that will more than offset the loss in Draft comps.

This gets overlooked honestly. I've seen some crazy Kyle takes on Twitter that remind me how some people are just so eager to bash Kyle they bend reality to trash the man.

But the simple fact is winning SBs isn't easy. In close games to win you need timely plays and either your offense to score late enough where the other offense has no time to match or exceed your points or see your defense stop the offense all together.

2019 Kyle took a team with Jimmy G to the SB and yes he probably hurt our chances to win by having Jimmy throw it vs just running like we did vs GB and hope we can just kill the clock or break one and score.

This last SB was not the same and yet I've seen people claim in both SBs Kyle saw a double digit lead late in the 2nd half. That we got a pick off Mahomes late in the game and did nothing with it.

Hell I just saw a dude post claiming Shanahan didn't target Aiyuk on the OT 3rd down play cuz he didn't want to pay Aiyuk if he scored the potential game winning TD in the SB for crying out loud.

It's crazy. Reality was we had the lead in that game 3 times in the 4th quarter and OT. But because Kyle has done a great job in the past and so did Saleh/Ryans we didn't have our guys coaching and the defense came up short on protecting each of those leads.

That is the difference in winning and losing that game.

That's the difference in Andy Reid being brilliant and having his team ready and Kyle choking apparently. When really Andy got himself a guy who killed his buzz as a HC but is a great DC. Kyle meanwhile lost two really good DCs because other teams wants a piece of that 49ers success and the excitement of untapped potential from Saleh and Ryans.

But that's too much to think about for some. Much easier to just point to Kyle not winning a SB and yelling about it without any rational thought as to the differences in each game.
Originally posted by genus49:
This gets overlooked honestly. I've seen some crazy Kyle takes on Twitter that remind me how some people are just so eager to bash Kyle they bend reality to trash the man.

But the simple fact is winning SBs isn't easy. In close games to win you need timely plays and either your offense to score late enough where the other offense has no time to match or exceed your points or see your defense stop the offense all together.

2019 Kyle took a team with Jimmy G to the SB and yes he probably hurt our chances to win by having Jimmy throw it vs just running like we did vs GB and hope we can just kill the clock or break one and score.

This last SB was not the same and yet I've seen people claim in both SBs Kyle saw a double digit lead late in the 2nd half. That we got a pick off Mahomes late in the game and did nothing with it.

Hell I just saw a dude post claiming Shanahan didn't target Aiyuk on the OT 3rd down play cuz he didn't want to pay Aiyuk if he scored the potential game winning TD in the SB for crying out loud.

It's crazy. Reality was we had the lead in that game 3 times in the 4th quarter and OT. But because Kyle has done a great job in the past and so did Saleh/Ryans we didn't have our guys coaching and the defense came up short on protecting each of those leads.

That's the difference in Andy Reid being brilliant and having his team ready and Kyle choking apparently. When really Andy got himself a guy who killed his buzz as a HC but is a great DC. Kyle meanwhile lost two really good DCs because other teams wants a piece of that 49ers success and the excitement of untapped potential from Saleh and Ryans.

But that's too much to think about for some. Much easier to just point to Kyle not winning a SB and yelling about it without any rational thought as to the differences in each game.

John & Kyle have done a pretty good job of keeping this team competitive. Other than injuries,which nobody can control, the 49ers have been very consistent since they took over the team. Some head scratchers in the draft but that can be a crapshoot anyway. I'm glad we have them. The Trey Lance pick set us back, but getting Purdy worked out just fine so far. Besides that, they seem to have better picks in the mid rounds anyway. JMHO and I have been fan of the team since the late 70's when they traded for OJ Anyway, I want the season to start like yesterday Go Niners!!!!!!

Kyle's lost so many good defensive coaches, and I hope they got a good one in the current crop. My hope is that they can stabilize that side of the ball. Draft comp picks are nice and all that, but if Kyle can get some stability there coaching-wise, I think that will more than offset the loss in Draft comps.

Sometimes people don't appreciate the fact the Niners have been so successful. Maybe some "Fans" should go watch a few seasons of Singletary and Erickson to get a sense of perspective?
[ Edited by Cg9erSF on Jul 21, 2024 at 8:08 AM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:

interesting

will always be A-Weak Arm-Hurt in my book !!!

better yet, he's the guy that the Brick by Brick Brothers kept over BUCKNER !!
Sometimes people don't appreciate the fact the Niners have been so successful. Maybe some "Fans" should go watch a few seasons of Singletary and Erickson to get a sense of perspective?

It really is odd to me. Like some fans act like they'd rather turn the roster over and change coaches every few years vs deal with the level
of success(or failure to them since they didn't win the SB)

Almost like you can't act the team building has been a success because they didn't win the SB. Reality is the team overachieved a bunch under Kyle.

Last year was the first time we really could've been considered major SB favorites and it took 2 key injuries early in the SB and some key mistakes and turnovers to lose the game in OT to a dynasty team with the best QB in the game and one of the top defenses.

Yes it was a failure and it was incredibly disappointing to end that season with a loss but for crying out loud…no other fanbase outside of KC enjoyed that season more. To claim that wasn't successful is incredibly spoiled and stupid. And I don't think this fanbase should act spoiled at this point t.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree 💯%, winning a 🏆 is very hard to do. Walsh did it only three times in his 10 year career and he was an elite coach. Reid's done that. So Kyle going against Andy is a very good young Shanahan coach going against an elite potential hall of fame Reid head coach. Defense is still the other half of football, and while offense does make the dough, defense is still important in this pass happy NFL era. You need to have both squads solid, as well as special teams too. I.e. a super bowl winner usually has all three squads very good and bordering on elite.
It really is odd to me. Like some fans act like they'd rather turn the roster over and change coaches every few years vs deal with the level
of success(or failure to them since they didn't win the SB)

Almost like you can't act the team building has been a success because they didn't win the SB. Reality is the team overachieved a bunch under Kyle.

Last year was the first time we really could've been considered major SB favorites and it took 2 key injuries early in the SB and some key mistakes and turnovers to lose the game in OT to a dynasty team with the best QB in the game and one of the top defenses.

Yes it was a failure and it was incredibly disappointing to end that season with a loss but for crying out loud…no other fanbase outside of KC enjoyed that season more. To claim that wasn't successful is incredibly spoiled and stupid. And I don't think this fanbase should act spoiled at this point t.
I agree with you. I rewatched the SB and KC was getting frustrated and 2 things really changed the game. #1 was Greenlaw getting injured & #2 was the muffed punt. The fumbles by them and us were a wash. KC was struggling to do anything and the turnover on the punt recovery and quick 1 play TD gave them life. Just goes to show that the coaches can only do so much and lucky plays can turn a game around. It sucks that they lost but KC did not dominate the game. Remember the SB against The Bengals when Joe hit Taylor with 34 seconds remaining? The play before, Joe threw an easy Int that the guy dropped. Luck can be a big part of winning or losing. As I say, Ca Ca occurs 3rd times a charm……… right???? LOL Stop KC's 3 peat this season and I will be a happy camper
[ Edited by Cg9erSF on Jul 21, 2024 at 11:06 AM ]
Yall some brave souls re watching the SB.
Originally posted by lamontb:

I couldn't rewatch the entire game But I did watch that receiver show on Netflix. I actually gained some perspective from that. I had no idea the extent of deboo and kittle's injuries. Add in greenlaw and us winning would have been amazing. We almost did it. I still say Kyle had a role in the loss but it wasn't all on him. We needed everything to go our way at the end and it just didn't. Maybe this year.
[ Edited by Bringbackedjr on Jul 21, 2024 at 3:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:

I couldn't watch the entire game But I did watch that receiver show on Netflix. I actually gained some perspective from that. I had no idea the extent of deboo and kittle's injuries. Add in greenlaw and us winning would have been amazing. We almost did it. I still say Kyle had a role in the loss but it wasn't all on him. We needed everything to go our way at the end and it just didn't. Maybe this year.

this explains some things lol
I agree with you. I rewatched the SB and KC was getting frustrated and 2 things really changed the game. #1 was Greenlaw getting injured & #2 was the muffed punt. The fumbles by them and us were a wash. KC was struggling to do anything and the turnover on the punt recovery and quick 1 play TD gave them life. Just goes to show that the coaches can only do so much and lucky plays can turn a game around. It sucks that they lost but KC did not dominate the game. Remember the SB against The Bengals when Joe hit Taylor with 34 seconds remaining? The play before, Joe threw an easy Int that the guy dropped. Luck can be a big part of winning or losing. As I say, Ca Ca occurs 3rd times a charm……… right???? LOL Stop KC's 3 peat this season and I will be a happy camper

I know it didn't end up hurting us in the end because of the fumble recovery prompting Kelce to go all berserk on Andy but thing is they shouldn't have even been in that spot. Gipson lost track of the ball Mahomes threw up there. Should've been a pick right there.

But that's just another mistake the 49ers made in a game filled with them. Chiefs made a bunch of their own but a lot of theirs they got away with.

The punt fumble to me was the biggest issue as well. The momentum we had was gutted and it totally changed the game. Plus the crazy part on the play was we had 2 mistakes on the same damn play - the ball hitting Luter's leg, brutal luck but also poor communication and then who I blame the most: McCloud for not just falling on the f**king thing and per his own words "trying to
make a play"

This is where I get upset for people blaming coaches cuz I guarantee every coach tells McCloud and the other returners FALL ON THE BALL. DONT TRY TO PICK IT UP!!!

But these are all grown men in the moment. They all want to be the SB hero. McCloud wasn't even regretful after the game. Total jerk move. 0 reason to make a play in that moment. You got another big stop. Priority 1 is secure the possession!!!

I could at least understand if we were down in the game. Like I have less of an issue with Kyle Williams' fumbles cuz at least he was trying to make a play since our offense was stagnant as hell in that 2011 NFCCG. We needed a spark. In this SB we just needed possession of the damn ball.

He's at the top of my blame list for that game…tho we still had chances to win it so he's not the only one on the list…and yes Kyle is on the list as well but lower than some want to put him.

He can't win the BIG GAME. A regular season and early Playoffs coach. That's it.

I know it didn't end up hurting us in the end because of the fumble recovery prompting Kelce to go all berserk on Andy but thing is they shouldn't have even been in that spot. Gipson lost track of the ball Mahomes threw up there. Should've been a pick right there.

But that's just another mistake the 49ers made in a game filled with them. Chiefs made a bunch of their own but a lot of theirs they got away with.

The punt fumble to me was the biggest issue as well. The momentum we had was gutted and it totally changed the game. Plus the crazy part on the play was we had 2 mistakes on the same damn play - the ball hitting Luter's leg, brutal luck but also poor communication and then who I blame the most: McCloud for not just falling on the f**king thing and per his own words "trying to
make a play"

This is where I get upset for people blaming coaches cuz I guarantee every coach tells McCloud and the other returners FALL ON THE BALL. DONT TRY TO PICK IT UP!!!

But these are all grown men in the moment. They all want to be the SB hero. McCloud wasn't even regretful after the game. Total jerk move. 0 reason to make a play in that moment. You got another big stop. Priority 1 is secure the possession!!!

I could at least understand if we were down in the game. Like I have less of an issue with Kyle Williams' fumbles cuz at least he was trying to make a play since our offense was stagnant as hell in that 2011 NFCCG. We needed a spark. In this SB we just needed possession of the damn ball.

He's at the top of my blame list for that game…tho we still had chances to win it so he's not the only one on the list…and yes Kyle is on the list as well but lower than some want to put him.

All the above
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:

I couldn't watch the entire game But I did watch that receiver show on Netflix. I actually gained some perspective from that. I had no idea the extent of deboo and kittle's injuries. Add in greenlaw and us winning would have been amazing. We almost did it. I still say Kyle had a role in the loss but it wasn't all on him. We needed everything to go our way at the end and it just didn't. Maybe this year.

this explains some things lol

Not sure I follow your comment.

make a play"

All the above

For the most part I agree with you guys but in my opinion, the most scathing part of the game was the 3 and negative after the Ji'Ayir Brown INT to start the second half. We had an opportunity there to make it a 17-3 game. Ball on the +45 and not even 10 yards at least puts us in Moody range. I'm not saying KS is to blame completely but the play calling during that key series was questionable.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He can't win the BIG GAME. A regular season and early Playoffs coach. That's it.

Share 49ersWebzone