There are 167 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by Cg9erSF:
Originally posted by genus49:
I agree with you. I rewatched the SB and KC was getting frustrated and 2 things really changed the game. #1 was Greenlaw getting injured & #2 was the muffed punt. The fumbles by them and us were a wash. KC was struggling to do anything and the turnover on the punt recovery and quick 1 play TD gave them life. Just goes to show that the coaches can only do so much and lucky plays can turn a game around. It sucks that they lost but KC did not dominate the game. Remember the SB against The Bengals when Joe hit Taylor with 34 seconds remaining? The play before, Joe threw an easy Int that the guy dropped. Luck can be a big part of winning or losing. As I say, Ca Ca occurs 3rd times a charm……… right???? LOL Stop KC's 3 peat this season and I will be a happy camper

I know it didn't end up hurting us in the end because of the fumble recovery prompting Kelce to go all berserk on Andy but thing is they shouldn't have even been in that spot. Gipson lost track of the ball Mahomes threw up there. Should've been a pick right there.

But that's just another mistake the 49ers made in a game filled with them. Chiefs made a bunch of their own but a lot of theirs they got away with.

The punt fumble to me was the biggest issue as well. The momentum we had was gutted and it totally changed the game. Plus the crazy part on the play was we had 2 mistakes on the same damn play - the ball hitting Luter's leg, brutal luck but also poor communication and then who I blame the most: McCloud for not just falling on the f**king thing and per his own words "trying to
make a play"

This is where I get upset for people blaming coaches cuz I guarantee every coach tells McCloud and the other returners FALL ON THE BALL. DONT TRY TO PICK IT UP!!!

But these are all grown men in the moment. They all want to be the SB hero. McCloud wasn't even regretful after the game. Total jerk move. 0 reason to make a play in that moment. You got another big stop. Priority 1 is secure the possession!!!

I could at least understand if we were down in the game. Like I have less of an issue with Kyle Williams' fumbles cuz at least he was trying to make a play since our offense was stagnant as hell in that 2011 NFCCG. We needed a spark. In this SB we just needed possession of the damn ball.

He's at the top of my blame list for that game…tho we still had chances to win it so he's not the only one on the list…and yes Kyle is on the list as well but lower than some want to put him.

All the above

For the most part I agree with you guys but in my opinion, the most scathing part of the game was the 3 and negative after the Ji'Ayir Brown INT to start the second half. We had an opportunity there to make it a 17-3 game. Ball on the +45 and not even 10 yards at least puts us in Moody range. I'm not saying KS is to blame completely but the play calling during that key series was questionable.

You're welcome to your opinion but we had an opportunity but nothing was guaranteed. Could've been 10-3, 13-3 or 17-3 after that. You know the fumbled punt gives us the ability to keep it 10-6 but kill clock, make it 13-6 or 17-6 and kill even more clock vs making it 10-13.

I find it hard to see how you think the former is more important when the former happened 2 minute into the 3rd quarter where the later would happen with like 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

Also the play calling wasn't an issue for that series. As most teams do they went for a shot play after the turnover but bad pass pro caused Brock to miss iirc. 2nd down on 2nd and 10 Aaron Banks false starts on what would've been a run play making it 2nd and 15. They didn't get anything from it and punted. Brutal but you still have the lead. Fumbled punt gives us our first deficit and I think it threw off the defense. We didn't get another 0 point drive from the defense after that.
I agree with you. I rewatched the SB and KC was getting frustrated and 2 things really changed the game. #1 was Greenlaw getting injured & #2 was the muffed punt. The fumbles by them and us were a wash. KC was struggling to do anything and the turnover on the punt recovery and quick 1 play TD gave them life. Just goes to show that the coaches can only do so much and lucky plays can turn a game around. It sucks that they lost but KC did not dominate the game. Remember the SB against The Bengals when Joe hit Taylor with 34 seconds remaining? The play before, Joe threw an easy Int that the guy dropped. Luck can be a big part of winning or losing. As I say, Ca Ca occurs 3rd times a charm……… right???? LOL Stop KC's 3 peat this season and I will be a happy camper

I know it didn't end up hurting us in the end because of the fumble recovery prompting Kelce to go all berserk on Andy but thing is they shouldn't have even been in that spot. Gipson lost track of the ball Mahomes threw up there. Should've been a pick right there.

But that's just another mistake the 49ers made in a game filled with them. Chiefs made a bunch of their own but a lot of theirs they got away with.

The punt fumble to me was the biggest issue as well. The momentum we had was gutted and it totally changed the game. Plus the crazy part on the play was we had 2 mistakes on the same damn play - the ball hitting Luter's leg, brutal luck but also poor communication and then who I blame the most: McCloud for not just falling on the f**king thing and per his own words "trying to
make a play"

This is where I get upset for people blaming coaches cuz I guarantee every coach tells McCloud and the other returners FALL ON THE BALL. DONT TRY TO PICK IT UP!!!

But these are all grown men in the moment. They all want to be the SB hero. McCloud wasn't even regretful after the game. Total jerk move. 0 reason to make a play in that moment. You got another big stop. Priority 1 is secure the possession!!!

I could at least understand if we were down in the game. Like I have less of an issue with Kyle Williams' fumbles cuz at least he was trying to make a play since our offense was stagnant as hell in that 2011 NFCCG. We needed a spark. In this SB we just needed possession of the damn ball.

He's at the top of my blame list for that game…tho we still had chances to win it so he's not the only one on the list…and yes Kyle is on the list as well but lower than some want to put him.

All the above

For the most part I agree with you guys but in my opinion, the most scathing part of the game was the 3 and negative after the Ji'Ayir Brown INT to start the second half. We had an opportunity there to make it a 17-3 game. Ball on the +45 and not even 10 yards at least puts us in Moody range. I'm not saying KS is to blame completely but the play calling during that key series was questionable.

You're welcome to your opinion but we had an opportunity but nothing was guaranteed. Could've been 10-3, 13-3 or 17-3 after that. You know the fumbled punt gives us the ability to keep it 10-6 but kill clock, make it 13-6 or 17-6 and kill even more clock vs making it 10-13.

I find it hard to see how you think the former is more important when the former happened 2 minute into the 3rd quarter where the later would happen with like 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

Also the play calling wasn't an issue for that series. As most teams do they went for a shot play after the turnover but bad pass pro caused Brock to miss iirc. 2nd down on 2nd and 10 Aaron Banks false starts on what would've been a run play making it 2nd and 15. They didn't get anything from it and punted. Brutal but you still have the lead. Fumbled punt gives us our first deficit and I think it threw off the defense. We didn't get another 0 point drive from the defense after that.

Getting the ball at the +45 is a massive difference than getting it at the -25. We had a shot there to go up 2 possessions and really put the pressure on KC. I question the inability to find a way to get CMC a quality touch on that series.

All of this is irrelevant, as we all know. There were a MULTITUDE of reasons we lost that game. Ranking them just opens up wounds.

The part that sucks is that both of our SB losses to KC came in games where I felt like we were the better team on paper.

Yeah. That 3rd Q was pretty brutal Tbh.

Not utilising CMC enough, not taking advantage of good field position from the Int, and of course, the dagger through the heart, the muffed punt.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Not utilising CMC enough, not taking advantage of good field position from the Int, and of course, the dagger through the heart, the muffed punt.

B.A?

I really encourage people to go back and rewatch the game in detail. When I was watching it live I thought the same thing "Why aren't we running the ball here!?"

Then i went back to see wtf happened and there were very clear and logical reasons for why we didn't run the ball.

I really encourage people to go back and rewatch the game in detail. When I was watching it live I thought the same thing "Why aren't we running the ball here!?"

Then i went back to see wtf happened and there were very clear and logical reasons for why we didn't run the ball.
Why would they actually do research?

they're not here to actually talk football, but to amuse themselves
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Here's some "research" for you. 1st and 10 and the +44 yard line after the INT was a pass that was incomplete. This was followed by a 2nd and 10 that was another pass play but became 2nd and 15 due to a false start on Banks. At that point the drive was done. We needed to get the ball to CMC on 1st down or somehow get in his hands on 2nd and 15.

Yes, hindsight s always 20/20 but our OC is supposed to have the foresight that none of us have and be able to find a way to get our best player the ball. This, in my opinion, was one of the most pivotal points in the game.

I'm not even blaming the game or even this series solely on KS. There's TONS of reasons for the loss but people need to stop acting like anyone who questions the HC isn't here to "actually talk football."

Several factors played a role in the loss. KS is one of them. It's ok to admit it. He's not solely to blame. I still think he's a fantastic HC and I still think he will lead us to a SB win as long as he has a healthy Purdy. Both things can be true.

Here's some "research" for you. 1st and 10 and the +44 yard line after the INT was a pass that was incomplete. This was followed by a 2nd and 10 that was another pass play but became 2nd and 15 due to a false start on Banks. At that point the drive was done. We needed to get the ball to CMC on 1st down or somehow get in his hands on 2nd and 15.

Yes, hindsight s always 20/20 but our OC is supposed to have the foresight that none of us have and be able to find a way to get our best player the ball. This, in my opinion, was one of the most pivotal points in the game.

I'm not even blaming the game or even this series solely on KS. There's TONS of reasons for the loss but people need to stop acting like anyone who questions the HC isn't here to "actually talk football."

Several factors played a role in the loss. KS is one of them. It's ok to admit it. He's not solely to blame. I still think he's a fantastic HC and I still think he will lead us to a SB win as long as he has a healthy Purdy. Both things can be true.
that so called research is all would of, should of, 100% hindsight. After that INT, KC had 10 in the box and continued to load the box after. All plays are given to the offense within 15 secs or whatever the time is before the mics cut out. Our QB is not experienced enough to add a 3rd play or even call timeout. While it was pivotal to you, it wasn't what changed the game.

So far no one has came up with a true criticism, one play here, one play there is not enough to act like he's the worst coach (choker as some say). that's just nit picking. He's the very reason we're back to being feared by the league.
that so called research is all would of, should of, 100% hindsight. After that INT, KC had 10 in the box and continued to load the box after. All plays are given to the offense within 15 secs or whatever the time is before the mics cut out. Our QB is not experienced enough to add a 3rd play or even call timeout. While it was pivotal to you, it wasn't what changed the game.

So far no one has came up with a true criticism, one play here, one play there is not enough to act like he's the worst coach (choker as some say). that's just nit picking. He's the very reason we're back to being feared by the league.

Who is calling him the worst coach? Not me. maybe you missed the part where I called him a great coach who I think will lead us to a SB win.

Nobody is putting the SB loss solely on him. Tons of parties to blame all around.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Jul 23, 2024 at 5:19 AM ]

Yet another 49ers season is officially upon us

This is not true. Watch Banks' stance on the play. He's run blocking.

2nd and 15 vs a very good defense turns a run down into a pass down. That's what happens when you watch the game in detail. You see information you missed during a live viewing when you're not watching OL play.

Also on those 3 3 and out drives, CMC got his 1st down carry on the 3rd drive. Do you remember how much we gained on that play?
[ Edited by genus49 on Jul 23, 2024 at 7:43 AM ]

make a play"

All the above

BOTTOM LINE - Shanny just does not have it as a HC... he can't game plan, he may have a good O-MIND, but that's not enough.

Eventually, every AFC teams will want to play us in the Super Bowl regardless of what talent we have.. they'll just allow Shanny to lose his way out of the game..

AFC teams will continue to go public and say how scary and great our team is, but bottom line, they'll want to face us because we got a HC who tries to win w/his offensive play calling instead of game planning.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by glorydayz:

B.A?

You don't think Purdy and the O-line and something to do with that too?
Share 49ersWebzone