49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Bill loves football but at this stage in his life he loves 24 year olds more

*23 lol
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Is there any like major schematic changes you've noticed or that you guys are, working to implement that you've had to work through since he's been here?
"Oh, no. We talk through stuff just talking football, just like I would go talk to offensive guy. But, we do what we do, and he may have some suggestions that we talk through and kind of see some things on film when we're studying tapes of other teams and stuff like that. But, it's just good to have them."
Here is an example of Nick's experience being a difference-maker in schematic changes to the cover-3 zone coverage schemes of the 49ers at the back end. Poor Wilk's didn't have that help with the Seifert/Carroll defense that Kyle employs. I think if he had Demeco (hypothetically) as the assistant head coach, with Wilk's being the defensive coordinator, Wilks would still be here and we probably would have beat KC last year.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Is there any like major schematic changes you've noticed or that you guys are, working to implement that you've had to work through since he's been here?
"Oh, no. We talk through stuff just talking football, just like I would go talk to offensive guy. But, we do what we do, and he may have some suggestions that we talk through and kind of see some things on film when we're studying tapes of other teams and stuff like that. But, it's just good to have them."
Here is an example of Nick's experience being a difference-maker in schematic changes to the cover-3 zone coverage schemes of the 49ers at the back end. Poor Wilk's didn't have that help with the Seifert/Carroll defense that Kyle employs. I think if he had Demeco (hypothetically) as the assistant head coach, with Wilk's being the defensive coordinator, Wilks would still be here and we probably would have beat KC last year.
I doubt it. Wilks was the play caller. If meco had to step in, why keep wilks
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

The rumor was that we played more 3 safety looks due to Sorensen and Kyle undermining Wilks. A good thing if you ask me.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
The rumor was that we played more 3 safety looks due to Sorensen and Kyle undermining Wilks. A good thing if you ask me.

During Superbowl.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

*If* Wilks had somebody experienced in the Kyle Shanhan defense backing him up - Wilks would still be on the 49ers - was my point. I think he did a good job teaching the DB's good techniques - Wilk's problems was not being able to marry the coverages to the defensive fronts and blitzes. Hopefully the Sorenseen/Staly combo will work this time.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:

The Seifert/Carrol back end coverage is typically cover three (I believe) and that's so that they keep stuff in front of them and force defenses to nickel and dime vs allowing the big play. The problem is that if your front 7 can't generate a pass rush - both Chase and Gregory were ineffective - that means offenses have the time to nickel and dime, and hence Kyle's needing to blitz more to generate some pass rush. So a zone team like the 49ers having to play man - is in a sense - a bad combo.

*If* Wilks had somebody experienced in the Kyle Shanhan defense backing him up - Wilks would still be on the 49ers - was my point. I think he did a good job teaching the DB's good techniques - Wilk's problems was not being able to marry the coverages to the defensive fronts and blitzes. Hopefully the Sorenseen/Staly combo will work this time.
Wilks problem was coverages, types of coverage and not knowing when to use all of the above

wilks was supposed to be that experienced guy
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Wilks problem was coverages, types of coverage and not knowing when to use all of the above

He was experienced in a *different defense* was the problem.

WILKS: "I think you have to, because it's based off the defense. This defense is a unique defense. There are certain things that go with that particular defense. I'm learning that. There are certain things you can't stray away from. As I evaluate and talk to the coaches as well as Kyle Shanahan, I see those things. Again, that's why I'm not panicking. I know we have the personnel, I know we have the talent, and I just have to do a better job putting them in position."
https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/steve-wilks-says-hes-still-learning-the-49ers-defensive-scheme

He was experienced in a *different defense* was the problem.

WILKS: "I think you have to, because it's based off the defense. This defense is a unique defense. There are certain things that go with that particular defense. I'm learning that. There are certain things you can't stray away from. As I evaluate and talk to the coaches as well as Kyle Shanahan, I see those things. Again, that's why I'm not panicking. I know we have the personnel, I know we have the talent, and I just have to do a better job putting them in position."
https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/steve-wilks-says-hes-still-learning-the-49ers-defensive-scheme
to me that is not experienced, dude faked his way onto the 49ers

i saw him too many nights at the cigar shop chillin (even took a pic) , when he should have been trying to come up with better gameplans

• Giedi
  • Veteran

i saw him too many nights at the cigar shop chillin (even took a pic) , when he should have been trying to come up with better gameplans

Well, for whatever reason, Wilks didn't work out. I hope Sorensen does better.

SORENSEN will be here for at least 4 years.. and that's because he'll be a puppet under Shany while trying to make a name for himself..

I HOPE HE'S A GEM !!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:

SORENSEN will be here for at least 4 years.. and that's because he'll be a puppet under Shany while trying to make a name for himself..

I HOPE HE'S A GEM !!

I think KJ Wright is the actual Jem.
Originally posted by 9moon:

I HOPE HE'S A GEM !!

I think KJ Wright is the actual Jem.
oh i forgot about that addition
Shans hair is getting longer, is he wanting Sorensen hair? Maybe long hair Kyle will get an SB? Or long hair, drunk Kyle?
Share 49ersWebzone