Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Is there any like major schematic changes you've noticed or that you guys are, working to implement that you've had to work through since he's been here?
"Oh, no. We talk through stuff just talking football, just like I would go talk to offensive guy. But, we do what we do, and he may have some suggestions that we talk through and kind of see some things on film when we're studying tapes of other teams and stuff like that. But, it's just good to have them."
Here is an example of Nick's experience being a difference-maker in schematic changes to the cover-3 zone coverage schemes of the 49ers at the back end. Poor Wilk's didn't have that help with the Seifert/Carroll defense that Kyle employs. I think if he had Demeco (hypothetically) as the assistant head coach, with Wilk's being the defensive coordinator, Wilks would still be here and we probably would have beat KC last year.
I doubt it. Wilks was the play caller. If meco had to step in, why keep wilks

*If* Wilks had somebody experienced in the Kyle Shanhan defense backing him up - Wilks would still be on the 49ers - was my point. I think he did a good job teaching the DB's good techniques - Wilk's problems was not being able to marry the coverages to the defensive fronts and blitzes. Hopefully the Sorenseen/Staly combo will work this time.
Wilks problem was coverages, types of coverage and not knowing when to use all of the above

wilks was supposed to be that experienced guy

He was experienced in a *different defense* was the problem.

WILKS: "I think you have to, because it's based off the defense. This defense is a unique defense. There are certain things that go with that particular defense. I'm learning that. There are certain things you can't stray away from. As I evaluate and talk to the coaches as well as Kyle Shanahan, I see those things. Again, that's why I'm not panicking. I know we have the personnel, I know we have the talent, and I just have to do a better job putting them in position."
https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/steve-wilks-says-hes-still-learning-the-49ers-defensive-scheme
to me that is not experienced, dude faked his way onto the 49ers

i saw him too many nights at the cigar shop chillin (even took a pic) , when he should have been trying to come up with better gameplans

no s**t? I think you posted about that no? That is very telling. I liked the man, but he reminds me of Singletary in hindsight, a great rah rah guy who can complement an x's and o's coach very well, but has no business drawing up his own x's and o's. Kyle was def slinging it at the wall and hoping for lightening in a bottle, unfortunately it didn't work.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Is there any like major schematic changes you've noticed or that you guys are, working to implement that you've had to work through since he's been here?
"Oh, no. We talk through stuff just talking football, just like I would go talk to offensive guy. But, we do what we do, and he may have some suggestions that we talk through and kind of see some things on film when we're studying tapes of other teams and stuff like that. But, it's just good to have them."
Here is an example of Nick's experience being a difference-maker in schematic changes to the cover-3 zone coverage schemes of the 49ers at the back end. Poor Wilk's didn't have that help with the Seifert/Carroll defense that Kyle employs. I think if he had Demeco (hypothetically) as the assistant head coach, with Wilk's being the defensive coordinator, Wilks would still be here and we probably would have beat KC last year.
I doubt it. Wilks was the play caller. If meco had to step in, why keep wilks

*If* Wilks had somebody experienced in the Kyle Shanhan defense backing him up - Wilks would still be on the 49ers - was my point. I think he did a good job teaching the DB's good techniques - Wilk's problems was not being able to marry the coverages to the defensive fronts and blitzes. Hopefully the Sorenseen/Staly combo will work this time.
Wilks problem was coverages, types of coverage and not knowing when to use all of the above

wilks was supposed to be that experienced guy

He was experienced in a *different defense* was the problem.

WILKS: "I think you have to, because it's based off the defense. This defense is a unique defense. There are certain things that go with that particular defense. I'm learning that. There are certain things you can't stray away from. As I evaluate and talk to the coaches as well as Kyle Shanahan, I see those things. Again, that's why I'm not panicking. I know we have the personnel, I know we have the talent, and I just have to do a better job putting them in position."
https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/steve-wilks-says-hes-still-learning-the-49ers-defensive-scheme
to me that is not experienced, dude faked his way onto the 49ers

i saw him too many nights at the cigar shop chillin (even took a pic) , when he should have been trying to come up with better gameplans

no s**t? I think you posted about that no? That is very telling. I liked the man, but he reminds me of Singletary in hindsight, a great rah rah guy who can complement an x's and o's coach very well, but has no business drawing up his own x's and o's. Kyle was def slinging it at the wall and hoping for lightening in a bottle, unfortunately it didn't work.

Lol lounging at a cigar shop?
Dude wanted a Niners paycheck for Cardinals effort lol.
On Wilks, that was the biggest defensive regression I've seen in a team that had similar (if not better) personnel than they had the year prior.

his scheme may be sound, but his situational decision making and inability to adapt to the newer offenses is a major problem.

i don't think he should be anything more than a positions coach in the NFL
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
On Wilks, that was the biggest defensive regression I've seen in a team that had similar (if not better) personnel than they had the year prior.

his scheme may be sound, but his situational decision making and inability to adapt to the newer offenses is a major problem.

there are just some who are not meant to be the ONE..
Originally posted by 9moon:

Still got us to the Super Bowl.

We just can't seal the deal.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by 9moon:

he may just be the next Bud Grant and Marv Levy...
And the bland MEANINGLESS arguing continues...
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
And the bland MEANINGLESS arguing continues...

how you doin Ron

And the defense played good enough in the SB. The offense and Kyle lost that game

Originally posted by eric_anthony:

And the defense played good enough in the SB. The offense and Kyle lost that game
KC's offense was worse
KC's offense was worse

Yet Mahomes found a way to win. Kyle and all his all star players on offense couldn't find a way to win? Especially when they had multiple opportunities to do so?
KC's offense was worse

Yet Mahomes found a way to win. Kyle and all his all star players on offense couldn't find a way to win? Especially when they had multiple opportunities to do so?
yeah Mahomes found two turnovers to win.. lol

Did you actually watch the game? Brock and the offense took the lead 4 different times in the 4th quarter and OT.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Interesting that Kyle is not calling plays in preseason. I think he's comfortable enough in Brock to do that, which is quite a development. I.e. Kyle is so confident in Brock that he can feel comfortable enough to even think of giving up playcalling duties (yeah he'll probably call the plays in regular season though). We shall see.
Share 49ersWebzone