LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 153 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Afrikan:
How did they not prep Jordan Mason before the game.... hell after the game, the team had to have known he would be the main player interviewed... and they would ask him generic questions about when he knew he would start...and how he adjusted bla bla.

Then Kyle or someone on the team got the nerve to get on him because he was honest in the moment?

As soon they asked him that question and he gave the answer, I was like oh nooooo lol

Thats just common sense there. There's not enough hours in a practice to now go over what the media might ask and how you should answer it. That's saved for crazy PR issues where the NFL gets involved as well. Don't reply to any Watson rape chargers, don't reply to Hernandez killing people, stuff like that.

He should've known better, but I can't blame since he's never been anywhere close to having the cameras on him like this before.
[ Edited by GoreGoreGore on Sep 9, 2024 at 11:10 PM ]
Sometimes s**t Just Happens!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I love my f**king coach

I f**kin right there with you brother!!!

Always got a chance to win a game with Kyle & Brock
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by captveg:
How did they not prep Jordan Mason before the game.... hell after the game, the team had to have known he would be the main player interviewed... and they would ask him generic questions about when he knew he would start...and how he adjusted bla bla.

Then Kyle or someone on the team got the nerve to get on him because he was honest in the moment?

Why assume it was Kyle or someone on the team that "got on him"? Maybe it was social media messages or something external.

You think social media got him to act like this?

I'd say most likely it was a team media rep that chatted with him a bit before his press conference, but my point is we don't know, so no need to get the pitchforks out. The way you frame it is as though Shanahan is a mafia boss about to whack him or something.

Maiocco said Mason spoke to reporters in the locker room and was much more open, Maiocco also said he didn't mean anything by his question at the podium and Mason told him everything is cool.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
...Also thought the clock was poorly managed to end the 1st half. We have to do a better job allowing ourselves the time to score a TD without needing to take a couple shots at the endzone from 12 yards out...

I don't totally disagree, but another perspective on that - I believe 49ers had the football for something like 13 minutes prior to and following halftime. 13 minutes! That's almost an entire quarter. Talk about sucking the life out of the game. That actually might be worth sacrificing some points for.
Kyle had turned the corner some last year in terms of conservative 4th down decision making, but I thought tonight was disappointing in that context.

Also thought the clock was poorly managed to end the 1st half. We have to do a better job allowing ourselves the time to score a TD without needing to take a couple shots at the endzone from 12 yards out.

No complaints other than those. Another great start to a season.

Aiyuk dropped a TD before the half
Originally posted by joeknows:
I don't totally disagree, but another perspective on that - I believe 49ers had the football for something like 13 minutes prior to and following halftime. 13 minutes! That's almost an entire quarter. Talk about sucking the life out of the game. That actually might be worth sacrificing some points for.

That was great. They kept the Jets offense off the field for a very long time between their final 1st half drive and 1st possession of the 2nd half. Dominated TOP for the game overall.

I don't think that relates to how they managed the final minute or minute and a half going into halftime though. Could use our timeouts more effectively. All I'm really referring to.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

I know. We could have given ourselves more chances and potentially a wider selection of plays though.

Example: With 1:15 on the clock Brock hit Deebo for a 15 yard gain, to bring us down the Jets 27. The next play was snapped with 32 seconds on the clock. To me, that's a spot where you use a timeout, or at least hurry. Not a fan of burning essentially an entire 40 seconds there.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Sep 10, 2024 at 1:26 AM ]
Kyle had turned the corner some last year in terms of conservative 4th down decision making, but I thought tonight was disappointing in that context.

Also thought the clock was poorly managed to end the 1st half. We have to do a better job allowing ourselves the time to score a TD without needing to take a couple shots at the endzone from 12 yards out.

No complaints other than those. Another great start to a season.

Peyton Manning was so mad at Aiyuk for that lol.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
I'm really happy to have Kyle Shanahan as HC. I don't like Monday Night Football Games. The Jets wanted to make a big statement and this is a good Football Team. Their defense is excellent and they have talent on offense. It was a tough first opponent so kudos to Kyle, his staff and the players for having been ready.

I know. We could have given ourselves more chances and potentially a wider selection of plays though.

Example: With 1:15 on the clock Brock hit Deebo for a 15 yard gain, to bring us down the Jets 27. The next play was snapped with 32 seconds on the clock. To me, that's a spot where you use a timeout, or at least hurry. Not a fan of burning essentially an entire 40 seconds there.
He learned to not give Rodgers any time to do anything
well after watching all the post game interviews.....I think this is yet ANOTHER year....you can flush the team with discord, team in turmoil talking points down the toilet.

We saw some media guys bringing this up yet again this year, and yet you watch the supercuts of all the players post game interviews...and yet again...this feels like a close nit team that is happy to be here, happy to play together.

one of the reporters was asking pretty repetitive "have you been around, or seen a team, fan base like this?" to the FAs that came in, and they all were pretty much like nope...this place is awesome. The new DT was handing out generic answer after generic answer, and even he stopped got bright eyed, and said something to the effect of No...I have never been around fans, and team like this. It came off extremely honest.

Clearly the 49ers are still wowing players as a great place to work.

While we are on the subject....Cali dudes at the game...yall did a hell of a job...over the TV that sounded like one of the loudest stadiums week 1. That was a heck of a showing in week 1 by the fans.
I did not like the quick screen to Deebo that caused them to use a timeout at the end of the first half. It shouldn't have mattered if Aiyuk made the catch in the end zone on the next play, however.

I also did not like kicking the field goal to go up 16 on 4th & 1 even with Trent having to get an IV. I still think they easily would've gotten it and wanted him to be more aggressive there.

I also HATED the reverse play call on 3rd & 5 in the first half.

HOWEVER

The team was prepared to play a week one again and that's due to Kyle's tough training camps. They didn't seem to miss a beat at all from last year. Credit to him. Many teams are consistently unprepared to play week 1 like the Bengals and Zach Taylor.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I love my f**king coach

I f**kin right there with you brother!!!

Always got a chance to win a game with Kyle & Brock

We are blessed to have Kyle and Lynch running things, that's for sure.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
I did not like the quick screen to Deebo that caused them to use a timeout at the end of the first half. It shouldn't have mattered if Aiyuk made the catch in the end zone on the next play, however.

I also did not like kicking the field goal to go up 16 on 4th & 1 even with Trent having to get an IV. I still think they easily would've gotten it and wanted him to be more aggressive there.

I also HATED the reverse play call on 3rd & 5 in the first half.

HOWEVER

The team was prepared to play a week one again and that's due to Kyle's tough training camps. They didn't seem to miss a beat at all from last year. Credit to him. Many teams are consistently unprepared to play week 1 like the Bengals and Zach Taylor.

them using a TO at the end of first half was classic Kyle, you could see it coming. he is on record, he wants to own the ball to end the first half, and then get the ball to start the 2nd half. so they ran all the play clock that was deliberate. they were making sure Rodgers didn't get a possession there.
Share 49ersWebzone