LISTEN: Rookie 49ers Shine Against The Seahawks →

There are 174 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

We are lucky to have Shany.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The Niners dominate what is supposed to be a good Jets team and till some fans have to complain about Kyle's use of timeouts or not going for a TD. If they win a SB there will be fans that say we were lucky or the margin of victory should have been greater.

I think these are long time concerns with Shanahan, and I'm looking for improvement with the big picture in mind.

I think he's a top two coach in football and the most valuable asset we have as a franchise. He does a great job consistently.

I'm not sure you actually have a point… certainly not the one you think you do.

wouldn't last nights first half clock-management be exactly what you're looking for….. if you're looking for improvement?

And we kicked the FG on fourth down 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️. Should we have called the timeouts you suggest in order to kick the FG on fourth down with more time left on the clock?

Tomfoolery going on in here. We need to work on our "forum management"
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
The one game that Kyle utilizes the clock well and makes the right choice on kicking the field goal and dudes still come here to complain ????????????.

kicking the fg and going up two touchdowns and two 2-point conversions was the right call. Not calling timeout against a defense that had shown itself capable of keeping us out of the end zone was the right call.

We had just scored a TD the drive before, and we scored another coming out of halftime.

Getting TD's is a good thing, lol. And again, this is a criticism that is better suited for the big picture… not last night's game in isolation. Obviously Kyle did a great job overall, including controlling the clock for the entire game overall.

There's nothing adverse about playing for a TD with a minute left from the opponents 27. You can still run the clock and get a half ending field goal, but you give yourself a much wider selection of plays and a better chance of scoring a TD if you save yourself enough time to operate. Offense had found it's rhythm and was rolling at that point. Taking two shots at the endzone from 13 yards out because you didn't give yourself enough time isn't ideal, whether it mattered in the game or not.
The one game that Kyle utilizes the clock well and makes the right choice on kicking the field goal and dudes still come here to complain ????????????.

kicking the fg and going up two touchdowns and two 2-point conversions was the right call. Not calling timeout against a defense that had shown itself capable of keeping us out of the end zone was the right call.

We had just scored a TD the drive before, and we scored another coming out of halftime.

Getting TD's is a good thing, lol. And again, this is a criticism that is better suited for the big picture… not last night's game in isolation. Obviously Kyle did a great job overall, including controlling the clock for the entire game overall.

There's nothing adverse about playing for a TD with a minute left from the opponents 27. You can still run the clock and get a half ending field goal, but you give yourself a much wider selection of plays and a better chance of scoring a TD if you save yourself enough time to operate. Offense had found it's rhythm and was rolling at that point. Taking two shots at the endzone from 13 yards out because you didn't give yourself enough time isn't ideal, whether it mattered in the game or not.

I understand your point. I simply disagree. Our strength in the game was our ability to run the ball…. Which also happens to be a great tool for controlling the clock.

Secondly, scoring touchdowns can absolutely be a bad thing once you consider time remaining as part of the equation. Giving ourselves a three point advantage > trading touchdowns because you gave the ball back to Aaron and he hits one of his signature deep balls.

and that's if you get the TD. More likely to end up with the same FG and still giving Aaron too much time

cheers
[ Edited by 5thSFG on Sep 10, 2024 at 3:02 PM ]

i give a lot of style points here

as we can see, the gold N for NFC
and the strap atop the bill adds a bit of style, looks to be the 9SEVENTY hat

and we can see he's got a lil party in the back situation.
a good start to the campaign
Also, Kyle considers the starting second possession as an extension of the last first half possession. Best potential outcome: 14 point swing. Last night's outcome: 10 point swing.

biggest risk to this theory: letting the other team score before half. Pretty simple logic he's applying
I understand your point. I simply disagree. Our strength in the game was our ability to run the ball…. Which also happens to be a great tool for controlling the clock.

Secondly, scoring touchdowns can absolutely be a bad thing once you consider time remaining as part of the equation. Giving ourselves a three point advantage > trading touchdowns because you gave the ball back to Aaron and he hits one of his signature deep balls.

cheers

I don't think it's a realistic expectation to think you'd be trading touchdowns by calling a timeout from the opponents 27 with about a 1 minute left. You have a full set of downs to kill that clock still, not to mention the Jets offense wasn't exactly setting the world on fire. It's nuts to think they're going to get a TD getting the ball back with at worst 50 seconds left (if you score on the first play you run from the 27, which is highly unlikely by itself).

You posted a video from 2021 with the Jimmy G led 49ers offense. I'd agree it make more sense to be ultra conservative with that team and QB, lol. Of course that kind of conservative decision making did potentially burn us in the NFC championship.

Agree to disagree regardless.
Also, Kyle considers the starting second possession as an extension of the last first half possession. Best potential outcome: 14 point swing. Last night's outcome: 10 point swing.

biggest risk to this theory: letting the other team score before half. Pretty simple logic he's applying

yeah he's on record he talked about it last season it's one of his big points of emphasis, possess to end the half, it doesn't much matter what you do, just don't let them possess, then possess to start the 2nd half, you steal a possession and it correlates highly to wins that's his words I am paraphrasing.

it can be found here: https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/kyle-shanahan-explains-wild-statistic/1672946/
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
yeah he's on record he talked about it last season it's one of his big points of emphasis, possess to end the half, it doesn't much matter what you do, just don't let them possess, then possess to start the 2nd half, you steal a possession and it correlates highly to wins that's his words I am paraphrasing.

it can be found here: https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/kyle-shanahan-explains-wild-statistic/1672946/

Again, not sure why any of you think that calling a timeout from the 27 would remove the ability for us to end the half, or effectively end the half, with the ball. We still control the ball and the clock. The Jets aren't using timeouts. It's simply giving yourself a better chance to end the half with 4 extra points, rather than having two low percentage plays to get a 13 yard TD, where a sack or a play that ends inbounds kills your chance at any points.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Sep 10, 2024 at 3:16 PM ]

aint gone lie this a good look for kyle

Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

Should be out there in that Gatsby suit. Mike Nolan style.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

He looks like a fully grown man.

I think they were in great shape time wise at the end of the half up until that dumb as play call on 1st that wasted our last time out.

If we had saved that time out there's a chance Brock scores on 3rd down. It looked like he had one grass but threw it away to assure 3 points.

We never should have called a WR screen on 1st and 10 from the 13. That's what limited us. Not anything that led up to that point IMO

Shanny's whole thing....the entire time he has been here is time management.

He wants to score before half time, and score coming back in the second half....he wants to put two scores on the board WITH OUT giving the other team a chance to score..... he manipulates the clock every game for the possibility to do that when he has the kick return at the start of the 3rd.

This is not really hard to understand, to him end of second and start of the 3rd is better 14-0, 10-0 or 6-0 versus the possibility of 3+3-7 because he gave the other team a chance to score before the end of the half.

I am sure he has plays set up to work with the time he has....and he will control that, but the primary goal is take away the opportunity for the other team to score. I am sure he is not super worried if he has 1 min vs 30s....when he CHOOSES to have 30s.
Originally posted by TD49ers:
We are lucky to have Shany.

Share 49ersWebzone