LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 130 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by ritz126:
i think ot comes off more as whiney if im being honest especting a perfect game like its madden with 100% hindsight bias really shows lack of football knowledge

Lol. Ok. You can respond to the actual criticism, or you can pretend it's whiny and baseless. I couldn't care less.

Nice to see you back after the long offseason. How'd that Wilks argument turn out for you?

It is whiny though because this is what Shanny has done since day dot. It's what he's done consistently. It's part of his in built philosophy that isn't going to change.

Even if people don't agree with the philosophy at least by now after so long people should understand it.
Originally posted by krizay:
I think they were in great shape time wise at the end of the half up until that dumb as play call on 1st that wasted our last time out.

If we had saved that time out there's a chance Brock scores on 3rd down. It looked like he had one grass but threw it away to assure 3 points.

We never should have called a WR screen on 1st and 10 from the 13. That's what limited us. Not anything that led up to that point IMO

That play call was bad, but I think the reason it was bad was because they hadn't saved enough time as it was. It's connected in that way. You can run a play like that with extra time to burn.

Even still, they should have had the TD with the great pass by Brock. Should have just had more than one chance.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

i give a lot of style points here

as we can see, the gold N for NFC
and the strap atop the bill adds a bit of style, looks to be the 9SEVENTY hat

and we can see he's got a lil party in the back situation.
a good start to the campaign

it's weird cause he's just the way better lookin version of Sorenson. lol theyre both pulling off similar looks. it's funny to me.

I thought kyle did an excellent job last night. There was def player rust and he was missing CMC, Aiyuk was rusty as hell, Trent isn't in game shape etc.

Something that shouldn't get lost in the whoopin we gave is that the Jets are a very talented team with a top defense. we grinded them down and beat them up. Brock wasn't dazzling but did a great job of just keeping the drive going and not turning over the ball - thats a tough defense and you have to be very accurate against them or they'll make you pay.

I think it was an excellent start to the season - the team played well but they also can play so much better, which is the exciting part. they left a lot out there. we could of easily dropped 40+ if we were a little better in the redzone.
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
It is whiny though because this is what Shanny has done since day dot. It's what he's done consistently. It's part of his in built philosophy that isn't going to change.

Even if people don't agree with the philosophy at least by now after so long people should understand it.

I don't disagree that it's what he's done from day 1. That's why I think it's worth mentioning. It isn't actually good clock management. He has struggled with 4th down decision making and end of half clock management. It usually doesn't matter, but it can lead to missed opportunities in games. Especially against better opponents.

He's great at controlling the clock with the run game over the course of entire games, but this isn't a criticism that argues that point.

I'd like to see him improve here. I don't agree that he's incapable of changing either, especially because it made more sense in years past with a more limited offense and QB. It's a fact that he was more aggressive on 4th downs last year than any other year here for example. And it paid off.
Kyle with the mini mullet…
Originally posted by TD49ers:
We are lucky to have Shany.

This is the truth.
I don't disagree that it's what he's done from day 1. That's why I think it's worth mentioning. It isn't actually good clock management. He has struggled with 4th down decision making and end of half clock management. It usually doesn't matter, but it can lead to missed opportunities in games. Especially against better opponents.

He's great at controlling the clock with the run game over the course of entire games, but this isn't a criticism that argues that point.

I'd like to see him improve here. I don't agree that he's incapable of changing either, especially because it made more sense in years past with a more limited offense and QB. It's a fact that he was more aggressive on 4th downs last year than any other year here for example. And it paid off.

It's almost seems like Kyle struggles to decide if he wants to be aggressive or conservative in certain clock management (go for a touchdown or field goal) and that tends to create awkward clock management. Like you said, I think that had a lot to do with his past QBs. I think he can be more aggressive with a guy like Purdy and it would work out more often than not.

he always seems deadset on trying to use up the entire clock, which i understand in theory, but I think it's okay to give your offense more shots at the endzone by moving the ball faster and more aggressive.
Seems like we usually spend as much time as possible to get in field goal range and then try mid-deep shots to see if we can score.

I've also always thought that kyle doesn't do a very good job when it comes to challenging calls - it seems like he always loses. lol
Originally posted by tankle104:
It's almost seems like Kyle struggles to decide if he wants to be aggressive or conservative in certain clock management (go for a touchdown or field goal) and that tends to create awkward clock management. Like you said, I think that had a lot to do with his past QBs. I think he can be more aggressive with a guy like Purdy and it would work out more often than not.

he always seems deadset on trying to use up the entire clock, which i understand in theory, but I think it's okay to give your offense more shots at the endzone by moving the ball faster and more aggressive.
Seems like we usually spend as much time as possible to get in field goal range and then try mid-deep shots to see if we can score.

I've also always thought that kyle doesn't do a very good job when it comes to challenging calls - it seems like he always loses. lol

To be clear, I think it's smart to use up the entire clock. We can do that and still put ourselves in better position to score the TD instead of a field goal. I agree that sometimes it seems he teeters from aggressive and conservative strategy, but we were passing the ball last night in that spot (indicating we aren't afraid of interception risk and do want the TD). If it was simply about controlling the ball to end of half, we could have ran it two-three straight times from the 27, or following the next completion (to Jennings I believe).

As to your bottom point, I can't really remember any meaningful challenge issues besides not challenging the big Smith completion against Philly in the 22 championship game. Someone upstairs can handle those.
last night was well coached. Kyle can't be 100% right with plays but he came close. Red zone failure was execution not coaching. I was a bit pissed that he did not go for 6 to shut it down but it all worked out in the end. Yuk was a disappointment. Mason Jennings and Deebo were fire. Defense stepped it up after a shaky start. Refs suck ass and it's concerning. We always seem to get screwed by no calls on the other team and too many bs calls on us. Maybe a homer point of view but I don't think so.. New York stepping in 2x last night…. No holding on bosa… I think it's a thing…. Happy with the W.
Originally posted by Bellaleo:
Kyle with the mini mullet…

more of a slicked back look

Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
last night was well coached. Kyle can't be 100% right with plays but he came close. Red zone failure was execution not coaching. I was a bit pissed that he did not go for 6 to shut it down but it all worked out in the end. Yuk was a disappointment. Mason Jennings and Deebo were fire. Defense stepped it up after a shaky start. Refs suck ass and it's concerning. We always seem to get screwed by no calls on the other team and too many bs calls on us. Maybe a homer point of view but I don't think so.. New York stepping in 2x last night…. No holding on bosa… I think it's a thing…. Happy with the W.

At least the refs corrected the OPI on Juice, lol.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
more of a slicked back look

I think it's a pre mullet look

He's actually 21-16 on challenges.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ShanKy0/challenges/

Andy Reid: 72-71
Bill Belichick: 53-78
Jim Harbaugh: 12-23
John Harbaugh: 54-73
Pete Carroll: 53-64
Mike Tomlin: 40-53

This obviously can't track unmade challenges that should have been made, but suffice it say he's not the moron on challenges some suggest.
[ Edited by captveg on Sep 10, 2024 at 4:32 PM ]

Tankle I think you need to start paying closer attention to the game being played on the field as opposed to the game being played on social media. Just my opinion
Originally posted by JaggedJ:

We're routinely top 5 in points scored before the half year in and year out. I don't believe he struggles, I believe he's doing it the way he wants to do it.

I'm sure he's capable of change, but the above leads me to believe that I doubt he feels it's broken and needing of change.

For what it's worth though (not much) I personally would like us to use all available downs so it does frustrate me a little when we run out of clock after second down and need to kick a FG instead of having one more shot.

It's a very thin line though when it comes to clock management so that's a small gripe at best from me.
Share 49ersWebzone