LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 135 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by JaggedJ:
We're routinely top 5 in points scored before the half year in and year out. I don't believe he struggles, I believe he's doing it the way he wants to do it.

I'm sure he's capable of change, but the above leads me to believe that I doubt he feels it's broken and needing of change.

For what it's worth though (not much) I personally would like us to use all available downs so it does frustrate me a little when we run out of clock after second down and need to kick a FG instead of having one more shot.

It's a very thin line though when it comes to clock management so that's a small gripe at best from me.

Agree here. It is for me too. As I mentioned, the guy is flat out one of the best coaches in the game, if not the best.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I don't disagree that it's what he's done from day 1. That's why I think it's worth mentioning. It isn't actually good clock management. He has struggled with 4th down decision making and end of half clock management. It usually doesn't matter, but it can lead to missed opportunities in games. Especially against better opponents.

He's great at controlling the clock with the run game over the course of entire games, but this isn't a criticism that argues that point.

I'd like to see him improve here. I don't agree that he's incapable of changing either, especially because it made more sense in years past with a more limited offense and QB. It's a fact that he was more aggressive on 4th downs last year than any other year here for example. And it paid off.

It's almost seems like Kyle struggles to decide if he wants to be aggressive or conservative in certain clock management (go for a touchdown or field goal) and that tends to create awkward clock management. Like you said, I think that had a lot to do with his past QBs. I think he can be more aggressive with a guy like Purdy and it would work out more often than not.

he always seems deadset on trying to use up the entire clock, which i understand in theory, but I think it's okay to give your offense more shots at the endzone by moving the ball faster and more aggressive.
Seems like we usually spend as much time as possible to get in field goal range and then try mid-deep shots to see if we can score.

I've also always thought that kyle doesn't do a very good job when it comes to challenging calls - it seems like he always loses. lol

It's a double edged sword. You go faster and more aggressive but end up with potential incompletions that stop the clock and can give the ball back with a minute or more on the clock.

I think his level of aggression probably comes down to game situation, but when we're already in front (which happens more than not) he's probably going to go a little more conservative.
It's almost seems like Kyle struggles to decide if he wants to be aggressive or conservative in certain clock management (go for a touchdown or field goal) and that tends to create awkward clock management. Like you said, I think that had a lot to do with his past QBs. I think he can be more aggressive with a guy like Purdy and it would work out more often than not.

he always seems deadset on trying to use up the entire clock, which i understand in theory, but I think it's okay to give your offense more shots at the endzone by moving the ball faster and more aggressive.
Seems like we usually spend as much time as possible to get in field goal range and then try mid-deep shots to see if we can score.

I've also always thought that kyle doesn't do a very good job when it comes to challenging calls - it seems like he always loses. lol

To be clear, I think it's smart to use up the entire clock. We can do that and still put ourselves in better position to score the TD instead of a field goal. I agree that sometimes it seems he teeters from aggressive and conservative strategy, but we were passing the ball last night in that spot (indicating we aren't afraid of interception risk and do want the TD). If it was simply about controlling the ball to end of half, we could have ran it two-three straight times from the 27, or following the next completion (to Jennings I believe).

As to your bottom point, I can't really remember any meaningful challenge issues besides not challenging the big Smith completion against Philly in the 22 championship game. Someone upstairs can handle those.

Kyle really believes in that statistic where the team that ends the half with possession, almost always wins the game. So Kyle doesn't really care about much at the half besides keeping the ball and trying to score - whether that's a field goal or touchdown.

I don't really have issues with Kyle - i love him as our HC. I guess I wish he would run a little more in crunch times of the superbowl but is what it is. hindsight is 20/20 - i could also say that I wish jimmy didn't blow or that WIlks didn't blow.

Overall, I love having shanahan.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The Niners dominate what is supposed to be a good Jets team and till some fans have to complain about Kyle's use of timeouts or not going for a TD. If they win a SB there will be fans that say we were lucky or the margin of victory should have been greater.

I think these are long time concerns with Shanahan, and I'm looking for improvement with the big picture in mind.

I think he's a top two coach in football and the most valuable asset we have as a franchise. He does a great job consistently.

If you want to be a top 3 coach you need a Lombardi

Oh yea so is that what Mike McCarthy is? I don't think Mike is bad, but right now I take Shanahan over him. Even John Harbaugh because he barely wins in the playoffs anymore. And yes I'd take Shanahan over Tomlin and Pederson right now too. And don't get me started on washed Sean Payton.

Fans are so hung up on the SB validation. I get it I was super sad after each of our 3 SB losses. But make no mistake about it, Kyle will win one and he's a top...3 coach right now. Reid, maybe McVay, and then Kyle

Harbaugh was in the AFC title game last year and lost to the same team the 49ers did. You want to be considered one of the best or the best. You need a Championship

Oh sorry he won a shaky home playoff game against a rookie HC and rookie QB. Harbaugh got his. There's no denying that, but I take Kyle over John TODAY
Originally posted by captveg:

He's actually 21-16 on challenges.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ShanKy0/challenges/

Andy Reid: 72-71
Bill Belichick: 53-78
Jim Harbaugh: 12-23
John Harbaugh: 54-73
Pete Carroll: 53-64
Mike Tomlin: 40-53

This obviously can't track unmade challenges that should have been made, but suffice it say he's not the moron on challenges some suggest.

Local talk show put Tomlin at o/u 1.5 on correct challenges this season

To be clear, I think it's smart to use up the entire clock. We can do that and still put ourselves in better position to score the TD instead of a field goal. I agree that sometimes it seems he teeters from aggressive and conservative strategy, but we were passing the ball last night in that spot (indicating we aren't afraid of interception risk and do want the TD). If it was simply about controlling the ball to end of half, we could have ran it two-three straight times from the 27, or following the next completion (to Jennings I believe).

As to your bottom point, I can't really remember any meaningful challenge issues besides not challenging the big Smith completion against Philly in the 22 championship game. Someone upstairs can handle those.

Kyle really believes in that statistic where the team that ends the half with possession, almost always wins the game. So Kyle doesn't really care about much at the half besides keeping the ball and trying to score - whether that's a field goal or touchdown.

I don't really have issues with Kyle - i love him as our HC. I guess I wish he would run a little more in crunch times of the superbowl but is what it is. hindsight is 20/20 - i could also say that I wish jimmy didn't blow or that WIlks didn't blow.

Overall, I love having shanahan.

If they're able to manage it, Shanahan simply likes to manage the end of the second quarter in such a way that he denies the opposing team the opportunity to possess the ball before going in... and if we have the ball to start the second half and score, we "lap" the opponent and score on two possessions where the opponent doesn't have an opportunity to reply.

And that is indeed what the 49ers did... they held the ball for the last 5 minutes of the second half, scored three... got the ball in the second half, had a 7 minute drive, and then scored another TD. We held the ball for 12.5 game minutes, and increased our lead by 10. The defense could rest that entire time (not that they needed it) and Aaron Rodgers/Jets didn't have a chance to build up any rhythm or momentum. They ended up getting picked off on their first possession of the half.

I think it can be an effective strategy that guarantees the opponent doesn't score before halftime, if he manages the game right. I do think the drawback though is that... by draining the clock to 30 seconds after we got to the Jets 27 yard line, it does limit the way you attack the defense. You have to be careful about the clock, and it kind of takes out the threat of run plays.

It's a happy ending if we score a TD at the half. People raise an eyebrow if we settle for a field goal... but I do think there's merit to the thought process.
Where's the negative Nancy's at.. they hate winning I guess lol
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I've always been awed by Kyle's ability to trick the defense and the defensive coaches, but now with Mason and Puni he can just out power and out execute the defense. That adds another quiver to his already overloaded weapons locker.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

lol, yeah I was wondering why the Kyle thread was so quiet and peaceful today
Originally posted by BP13:

Hopefully tuned out until the SB. The only game that matters.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

It's weird how that works ha
Originally posted by BP13:

Hopefully tuned out until the SB. The only game that matters.

Are you implying we will lose again?
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
I love my coach, the regular season champion.

Originally posted by Koldo:
I love my coach, the regular season champion.

You have to win the regular season before you can get to the SB. 30 other coaches didn't.
  • thl408
Couple things I found interesting was the formations from the NYJ game. One type of formation (21 personnel) had both WRs to one side, with Kittle and Juice, both inline, on the other side.

Nothing earth shattering, but a good way to force the defense to show man or zone. Kittle Juice were on McKivitz's side to widen the edge and be run strength side of formation. Other side was Deebo Aiyuk to be the passing strength side. My guess is Brock then assesses the defensive players in each side and attacks accordingly.

The other interesting formation was Brock in pistol with both RBs in an offset alignment. Definitely inviting the defense to stack the box.
Share 49ersWebzone