LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 164 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Couple things I found interesting was the formations from the NYJ game. One type of formation (21 personnel) had both WRs to one side, with Kittle and Juice, both inline, on the other side.

Nothing earth shattering, but a good way to force the defense to show man or zone. Kittle Juice were on McKivitz's side to widen the edge and be run strength side of formation. Other side was Deebo Aiyuk to be the passing strength side. My guess is Brock then assesses the defensive players in each side and attacks accordingly.

The other interesting formation was Brock in pistol with both RBs in an offset alignment. Definitely inviting the defense to stack the box.

I saw a couple of outside zone plays where the 49ers were running against 8 men in the box. They still gained yardage with Mason.

I'm drooling for the day when Feliciano comes back and Possibly takes Brendel's Center spot. With a bigger stronger guy at center, I can see Kyle going to more of a power run game vs an outside zone run game. Especially with Mason as RB1 while CMC heals up.
[ Edited by Giedi on Sep 11, 2024 at 8:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
Couple things I found interesting was the formations from the NYJ game. One type of formation (21 personnel) had both WRs to one side, with Kittle and Juice, both inline, on the other side.

Nothing earth shattering, but a good way to force the defense to show man or zone. Kittle Juice were on McKivitz's side to widen the edge and be run strength side of formation. Other side was Deebo Aiyuk to be the passing strength side. My guess is Brock then assesses the defensive players in each side and attacks accordingly.

The other interesting formation was Brock in pistol with both RBs in an offset alignment. Definitely inviting the defense to stack the box.

I saw a couple of outside zone plays where the 49ers were running against 8 men in the box. They still gained yardage with Mason.

I'm drooling for the day when Feliciano comes back and Possibly takes Brendel's Center spot. With a bigger stronger guy at center, I can see Kyle going to more of a power run game vs an outside zone run game. Especially with Mason as RB1 while CMC heals up.

How bad is Feliciano's injury? I know he made the 53, and then on IR, but not DFR, like Kalia Davis is, since they can put two on IR/DFR at cut down day.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

How bad is Feliciano's injury? I know he made the 53, and then on IR, but not DFR, like Kalia Davis is, since they can put two on IR/DFR at cut down day.

Unfortunately it was surgery on his knee and they hope to have Feliciano back by midseason. But surgery (example Alex Smith) can sometimes be a negative than a positive. Another point is that it's a knee injury - I'm assuming a knee ligament (big assumption of mine) damage that makes his lower body less powerful and agile. That agility is needed at Kyles center position that has to reach block a lot on outside zone runs.
I wonder how Kyle vs Andy would be if teams were switched.....will the out come still be the same... I feel we have the better roster, but they have a super x factor at certain position that makes our roster obsolete.... but how would those same refs give the oline those you can hold all you want no calls?? Imagine Brendal, Mckivitz no holding calls at all when it mattered most....
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Sep 14, 2024 at 1:21 AM ]
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
I wonder how Kyle vs Andy would be if teams were switched.....will the out come still be the same... I feel we have the better roster, but they have a super x factor at certain position that makes our roster obsolete.... but how would those same refs give the oline those you can hold all you want no calls?? Imagine Brendal, Mckivitz no holding calls at all when it mattered most....

Really hard to use the word obsolete when the winner and the looser of the game could change on a single play or two.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

Really hard to use the word obsolete when the winner and the looser of the game could change on a single play or two.

you had so much potential.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Unfortunately it was surgery on his knee and they hope to have Feliciano back by midseason. But surgery (example Alex Smith) can sometimes be a negative than a positive. Another point is that it's a knee injury - I'm assuming a knee ligament (big assumption of mine) damage that makes his lower body less powerful and agile. That agility is needed at Kyles center position that has to reach block a lot on outside zone runs.

If he's only out until mid season it's likely something less serious like a meniscus tear and a light sprain. I'm no doctor but I've had my share of knee injuries
He's a talented playdesigner, but man oh man his playcalling at times. It's amazing how much intelligence can be negated by one's own hubris.
[ Edited by ninerFate on Sep 15, 2024 at 12:59 PM ]
I am a staunch Shanahan supporter, but today he lost this game with his 4th down calls.

Didn't like a lot of things from him and the play from his team today, On that last drive, to have any chance at all with no TOs you have to kick the FG before the two-minute warning.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Sep 15, 2024 at 1:05 PM ]
OVER n OVER.. Shanny just continue to get bullied when facing a good DC..
Him and Purdy today looked like it was their first ever game together. Bad play calls at times, bad throws at times, bad reads. Really weird day for both.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Didn't like a lot of things from him and the play from his team today, On that last drive, to have any chance at all with no TOs you have to kick the FG before the two-minute warning.

Sure players have to execute and all, but way too many times Kyle has made decisions where he seems flustered and/or just over-complicates things especially at the worst times. Don't know if it's a personality flaw, but whatever it is it often costs the team over & over.
[ Edited by ninerFate on Sep 15, 2024 at 1:19 PM ]
Flores owns Kyle.
Share 49ersWebzone