LISTEN: Rookie 49ers Shine Against The Seahawks →

There are 237 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Mason running hard, and shanny completely ignores him at the goaline.
Every week there is an overreaction cycle that occurs in the NFL. Last week everyone was talking about how the 49ers are back and possibly the best team in football. This week everyone is in full panic mode. It's way too early in the season to know how the rest of the year is going to play out. Look at the Rams, Cowboys, and Packers. Sometimes we need to acknowledge that the other team has players who get paid a lot of money too. Minnesota is a good team, they were playing at home. I honestly think the game goes in a completely different direction had that 4th down near the goal line scores and there's no 97 yards TD to Jefferson. Oh well.

Purdy looked indecisive because he was under pressure on far too many dropbacks. If you ask me the biggest issue the team has on offense right now is Aiyuk looks like a shell of his former self. I think the pass protection issues will get sorted out because a lot of the pressures came on Trent Williams' side, how often is that going to happen?
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Sep 16, 2024 at 8:16 AM ]
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Every week there is an overreaction cycle that occurs in the NFL. Last week everyone was talking about how the 49ers are back and possibly the best team in football. This week everyone is in full panic mode. It's way too early in the season to know how the rest of the year is going to play out. Look at the Rams, Cowboys, and Packers. Sometimes we need to acknowledge that the other team has players who get paid a lot of money too. Minnesota is a good team, they were playing at home. I honestly think the game goes in a completely different direction had that 4th down near the goal line scores and there's no 97 yards TD to Jefferson. Oh well.

Purdy looked indecisive because he was under pressure on far too many dropbacks. If you ask me the biggest issue the team has on offense right now is Aiyuk looks like a shell of his former self. I think the pass protection issues will get sorted out because a lot of the pressures came on Trent Williams' side, how often is that going to happen?

Meh, I've been hard on Shanny since he lost his 3rd Superbowl. I can also give him credit as he did call a good game week one. He is most definitely an offensive genius and a very solid coach but he most definitely has some glaring weaknesses and he lets his ego override common sense sometimes. I'm far from panicking after week 2 but I'm also capable enough to see call out some of his questionable coaching.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Without CMC 3rd downs are going to be tougher. See the article above. He's a weapon on 3rd down and without him the defenders can clamp down on the receivers without worrying about him coming out of the backfield. It's foolish to think that they aren't going to miss him. Those 1st and 2nd down runs can be handled by Mason but 3rd down passes out of the backfield are a different story. That means Aiyuk is going to have to earn that big money he just got. Jenning will be needed more. Of course Kittle and Deebo will too as we saw yesterday.

Couldn't agree more. That's why I said they need to go get McKinnon or Hunt as the 3rd down guy who can also pass-block.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Mason running hard, and shanny completely ignores him at the goaline.

Don't he run for -1 on 2nd down?
Originally posted by Schulzy:
He was painfully out coached yesterday.

I think a lot of players played poorly yesterday as well.
For me it wasn't so much the actual play-calling but the players (on both sides) that were not executing the plays. I think both Kyle and Nick would love to have some calls back.

our secondary blew two assignments that lead to 14 pts. Our OL blew a ton of blocking assignments with all the exotic looks Flores was showing. They gotta be better plain and simple.
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
Originally posted by bzborow1:

Meh, I've been hard on Shanny since he lost his 3rd Superbowl. I can also give him credit as he did call a good game week one. He is most definitely an offensive genius and a very solid coach but he most definitely has some glaring weaknesses and he lets his ego override common sense sometimes. I'm far from panicking after week 2 but I'm also capable enough to see call out some of his questionable coaching.

Good post I agree....Who is better out there so it's not fire Shanahan and move on lol.

His problem is Ego as you mentioned you can almost see it after the Jets game. After this loss he will hopefully humble himself to figure out a better game plan. The Rams should be an easy win with all of their injuries so let's see what happens.

No panic yet but he needs to check his ego after a dominate win.
Our analytics need to be fixed

We should have gone for 2 on our last TD
If we make it then we keep it a potential 1 score game despite a Viking FG

We knew time was short and we didn't have all 3 time outs.

That is a big picture coaching decision (similar to the SB coin flip) that I think our team is bad at right now
  • Deebo
  • Veteran
He can't win

Before I go in I feel the need to say this: I am not calling for Shanny's job, and anyone who is are foolish. I do think that Shanny presents this teams best chance at bringing this team it's 6th SB.

Now, that said: this was a piss-poor coaching job by Shanny and Nick Sorensen (will go in on Nick on his thread). I've been coaching football for 17 years now. I know a bad game plan when I see it. The 1st offensive drive gives a peek into the thinking of the game plan. 3 straight passes and a 3-&-out. It was clear to that Purdy, not the run game, was gonna be featured. JP Mason carried the ball 20 for 100 yards, but the run game wasn't really featured like it was last week. I'm not saying that Mason should have carried the ball 28 times. What I am saying is that the run game should have been the central focus like it was last week. When the run game was clearly working, when JP Mason was getting chunk yards, Shanny just didn't lean into it. He stuck with his passing gameplan even though Brian Flores was playing coverage for a great deal of the game. This is why Purdy had a lot of time to through the ball. I consider all of Purdy's sacks as coverage sacks. Also, why Shanny didn't employ stack thrips more often is beyond me. This also speaks to Shanny stubbornly sticking to his game plan. Man coverage was killing us, yet Shanny was intent on forcing his gameplan to work.

So, IMHO, Shanny's stubbornness lost us this game. This is why I really wish the SF press corp was more like the NY press corp.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Before I go in I feel the need to say this: I am not calling for Shanny's job, and anyone who is are foolish. I do think that Shanny presents this teams best chance at bringing this team it's 6th SB.

Now, that said: this was a piss-poor coaching job by Shanny and Nick Sorensen (will go in on Nick on his thread). I've been coaching football for 17 years now. I know a bad game plan when I see it. The 1st offensive drive gives a peek into the thinking of the game plan. 3 straight passes and a 3-&-out. It was clear to that Purdy, not the run game, was gonna be featured. JP Mason carried the ball 20 for 100 yards, but the run game wasn't really featured like it was last week. I'm not saying that Mason should have carried the ball 28 times. What I am saying is that the run game should have been the central focus like it was last week. When the run game was clearly working, when JP Mason was getting chunk yards, Shanny just didn't lean into it. He stuck with his passing gameplan even though Brian Flores was playing coverage for a great deal of the game. This is why Purdy had a lot of time to through the ball. I consider all of Purdy's sacks as coverage sacks. Also, why Shanny didn't employ stack thrips more often is beyond me. This also speaks to Shanny stubbornly sticking to his game plan. Man coverage was killing us, yet Shanny was intent on forcing his gameplan to work.

So, IMHO, Shanny's stubbornness lost us this game. This is why I really wish the SF press corp was more like the NY press corp.

The Niners were playing from behind all day. They usually run more when they're ahead. People love to blame the coach r the QB when the team loses but sometimes players just miss tackles or get out of position. Sometimes the team makes mistakes. Was it Kyle's fault that they had a punt blocked that resulted in 3 points? Was it Kyle's fault that the safety got beat on that 97 yard TD? On that 4th down at the 2 yard line they called a pass and had an open receiver. The ball got tipped at the line of scrimmage. Kyle's fault?
I liked his aggressive decisions good job coach.

The Niners were playing from behind all day. They usually run more when they're ahead. People love to blame the coach r the QB when the team loses but sometimes players just miss tackles or get out of position. Sometimes the team makes mistakes. Was it Kyle's fault that they had a punt blocked that resulted in 3 points? Was it Kyle's fault that the safety got beat on that 97 yard TD? On that 4th down at the 2 yard line they called a pass and had an open receiver. The ball got tipped at the line of scrimmage. Kyle's fault?

When you have egregious execution issues in all three phases of the game at the same time you have to question the coaching

Was it Kyle's fault that they had a punt blocked that resulted in 3 points?
Didn't mention that at all.

Was it Kyle's fault that the safety got beat on that 97 yard TD?
No, that was Nick Sorensen and his horrible gameplan.

On that 4th down at the 2 yard line they called a pass and had an open receiver. The ball got tipped at the line of scrimmage. Kyle's fault?
Mostly yes. I don't fault going for it. I wanted him to. I fault the play call. That play call was indictive of Shanny's bad gameplan of not sticking with the run, even when running was pretty successful.

This was due to Shanny sticking to a gameplan that clearly wasn't working. Why is it bad to call that out?
Share 49ersWebzone