LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 132 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by captveg:
I remember the 1988, 1989 and 1994 teams quite well. It has nothing to do with participation trophies, but rather with not being so Super Bowl only obsessed to actually appreciate the journey without being a panicky little b***h over a Week 2 loss. I also don't define my success in life by a football team meant to bring me entertainment. If they win I am glad, if they lose I am disappointed. Then the next day my life goes on and it doesn't ultimately matter a damn thing either way. When I die no one is gonna give a damn if I saw the 49ers win another Super Bowl. "It's unfortunate that he's gone - if only his life had meaning to his loved ones and friends, but it didn't because the 49ers lost Super Bowl LVIII." What an absurd notion.

It's just entertainment, folks. Enjoy the ride. If you find yourself defining your self worth by this team you need to reevaluate things. Especially when it comes to a Week 2 road loss.

Well said. It won't land with this particular audience, but nothing you can do about it.

Well said ? lol, the irony in his post is that he claims to be a fair weather fan, but takes time out of his day to banter with other fans that probably take the sport a bit more seriously.

Man, serious thought. What happened to this fanbase ?! There was a time where it was SB or bust. I remember ppl breaking stuff in the 90s when we lost in the Divisional round And now we lose 2 SBs in five years, and the lot here are patting Shanahan on the back and making "it's ok champ, we'll try again next year".

It's become a joke of a fanbase, but I'm not surprised. For one, it's a younger crowd that probably wasn't around in the 90s, so they think we've achieved max output (see captveg posts). Two, you can tell by the empty seats on gameday because of the sun, rain, hot weather. It's a weakened fan base. Or maybe it's just the Cali crowd because I've been to Niner games in NY and the diehard fans here show up to MetLife and defend the team to the T.

You're in your 30s you never saw any of SBs (maybe 94 when you were very young) so stop acting like you speak for Gen X. Most the older folks on this forum understand how hard it is to do that in today's cap era.

It's the whinny babies like you that makes this fan base look bad at times. People like you is why we have the nickname 40 whiners. The fact that u don't see this is hilarious. You were probably the kid throwing a fit in a store when your mom didn't buy what you wanted.
Originally posted by BP13:
It's a shame we're not all as tough and hardcore as you are DrEll

Lol one can dream
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Imagine being lectured to be happy with second place or worse .... jfc 29 years bro. Insane

It's not a contradiction to enjoy the good moments during a season even when the last game does not result in the best of moments. If that was the case why celebrate a loser like Patrick Willis making the Hall of Fame? He lost the SB and is therefore worthless. Imagine celebrating such a failure of player who could only deliver second place or worse....

I find the idea that there have only been five days to celebrate and enjoy the 49ers in their 80 year history the insane one. 49ers have played 1166 games, including playoffs, so only 5/1166 were worth following them over. That is a terrible return on investment of your time for an entertainment. Imagine if only 0.004 of movies you watched were satisfying.
It's not a contradiction to enjoy the good moments during a season even when the last game does not result in the best of moments. If that was the case why celebrate a loser like Patrick Willis making the Hall of Fame? He lost the SB and is therefore worthless. Imagine celebrating such a failure of player who could only deliver second place or worse....

I find the idea that there have only been five days to celebrate and enjoy the 49ers in their 80 year history the insane one. 49ers have played 1166 games, including playoffs, so only 5/1166 were worth following them over. That is a terrible return on investment of your time for an entertainment. Imagine if only 0.004 of movies you watched were satisfying.

Movies suck these days though lol.

There was a time where I was just used to seeing the Niners win SBs..the past three losses had me smh. I guess it's all evened out and I can just enjoy what comes and not be destroyed if they lose the big one:).

I am still waiting for that loser Roger Craig to make the HOF.
Originally posted by Montana:

As a huge film guy believe me, I know this problem intimately.
It's nice to win super bowls. But ultimately for me watching NFL football is one of my favorite hobbies. It's always nice, though, when your team is relevant. And the 49'ers have been very relevant in recent seasons which has been nice.

I also enjoy watching college football too but not as much as NFL football.

As a huge film guy believe me, I know this problem intimately.

how was BeattleJuice or.. Joker II?
Originally posted by 9moon:

Lol

I am not watching the Lady Gaga whatever that movie is..after the Dark Knight..Joker has taken a dump. Beetlejuice..have not seen it but Keaton usually does not disappoint.

But back to the subject...
Shanny sucks? Or he is the best coach ever? Lol
Originally posted by 9moon:

Lol

I am not watching the Lady Gaga whatever that movie is..after the Dark Knight..Joker has taken a dump. Beetlejuice..have not seen it but Keaton usually does not disappoint.

But back to the subject...
Shanny sucks? Or he is the best coach ever? Lol

we can ALL AGREE that he's halfway to accomplishing what MARV LEVY did in Buffalo !!
Imagine being lectured to be happy with second place or worse .... jfc 29 years bro. Insane

I was speaking to you telling us to stfu until February. You were wrong and now are trying to soften how you came at us. Saying I just want to win a Super Bowl is perfectly fine. That's the goal of every player and team is it not?

Context also matters. We've been so close the last few years and that makes it harder. When we were terrible of course the idea is to make incremental improvments. Now we have a fairly complete team that didn't get it done and odds an are that ship has sailed.

Saying I just want to win a Super Bowl is perfectly fine. That's the goal of every player and team is it not?
I seriously doubt that is the case...

So few players are driven by superbowls....

they might want to win, but I highly doubt that is the end goal for the vast majority.

I think the NFL is a really high paying job, and they want money...simple as that.

You would never get dudes leaving a team with a high probability of deep post seasons runs, to make fractionally more money if this league was driven by the main goal being to play in the big game.

Fans are the people that are driven by on field success, not players.

Every once in a while you will get a dude that stays in school for a shot at a national title game, or take a lessor contract to stay on a winner...but that sort of behavior is relatively rare compared to most players.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
I remember the 1988, 1989 and 1994 teams quite well. It has nothing to do with participation trophies, but rather with not being so Super Bowl only obsessed to actually appreciate the journey without being a panicky little b***h over a Week 2 loss. I also don't define my success in life by a football team meant to bring me entertainment. If they win I am glad, if they lose I am disappointed. Then the next day my life goes on and it doesn't ultimately matter a damn thing either way. When I die no one is gonna give a damn if I saw the 49ers win another Super Bowl. "It's unfortunate that he's gone - if only his life had meaning to his loved ones and friends, but it didn't because the 49ers lost Super Bowl LVIII." What an absurd notion.

It's just entertainment, folks. Enjoy the ride. If you find yourself defining your self worth by this team you need to reevaluate things. Especially when it comes to a Week 2 road loss.

Well said. It won't land with this particular audience, but nothing you can do about it.

Well said ? lol, the irony in his post is that he claims to be a fair weather fan, but takes time out of his day to banter with other fans that probably take the sport a bit more seriously.

Man, serious thought. What happened to this fanbase ?! There was a time where it was SB or bust. I remember ppl breaking stuff in the 90s when we lost in the Divisional round And now we lose 2 SBs in five years, and the lot here are patting Shanahan on the back and making "it's ok champ, we'll try again next year".

It's become a joke of a fanbase, but I'm not surprised. For one, it's a younger crowd that probably wasn't around in the 90s, so they think we've achieved max output (see captveg posts). Two, you can tell by the empty seats on gameday because of the sun, rain, hot weather. It's a weakened fan base. Or maybe it's just the Cali crowd because I've been to Niner games in NY and the diehard fans here show up to MetLife and defend the team to the T.

You're in your 30s you never saw any of SBs (maybe 94 when you were very young) so stop acting like you speak for Gen X. Most the older folks on this forum understand how hard it is to do that in today's cap era.

It's the whinny babies like you that makes this fan base look bad at times. People like you is why we have the nickname 40 whiners. The fact that u don't see this is hilarious. You were probably the kid throwing a fit in a store when your mom didn't buy what you wanted.
quit bullying people.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran

I don't think you know what a fairweather fan is.

FWIW my biggest gripe with the Super Bowl or bust crowd is that they make terrible football arguments, not that they whine. You haven't been an exception, lol.

Kyle Shanahan is a liability and has been a key reason why this team lost out on 2 Super Bowls. You will discount that as a "terrible football argument" because it doesn't fit your narrative, which includes blaming everything else but him for those losses. And also the false perception that without him, we'd be a 2-15 franchise.

the Super Bowl or bust crowd points out the obvious, and we take lessons from yester years to make our claims. George Seifert lost to GB twice and got fired. Steve Mariucci took a rebuild team to the playoffs 3 times and got fired. It's because they did not meet expectations for this proud franchise.

Kyle Shanahan is failed twice with a much better roster, and I've heard everyone and their mother get blamed, but Kyle ? No, he deserves to "run it back", something I fully expect to hear from you fans when he fails again this year….
Kyle Shanahan is a liability and has been a key reason why this team lost out on 2 Super Bowls. You will discount that as a "terrible football argument" because it doesn't fit your narrative, which includes blaming everything else but him for those losses. And also the false perception that without him, we'd be a 2-15 franchise.

the Super Bowl or bust crowd points out the obvious, and we take lessons from yester years to make our claims. George Seifert lost to GB twice and got fired. Steve Mariucci took a rebuild team to the playoffs 3 times and got fired. It's because they did not meet expectations for this proud franchise.

Kyle Shanahan is failed twice with a much better roster, and I've heard everyone and their mother get blamed, but Kyle ? No, he deserves to "run it back", something I fully expect to hear from you fans when he fails again this year….

How many Super Bowls did firing Seifert and Mariucci net this one proud franchise? In fact it took over a decade to field a competitive team.

Wonder how many Super Bowls philly would have if they kept Andy Reid since he didnt meet their standards? IMO the NFL is way too eager to move on from coaches because they cant win the big one soon enough. And if you are honest with yourself, winning a Super Bowl takes a lot of skill, talent and a lot of luck. There are several Super Bowl winning teams that got lucky. Eli Manning's Giants are a prime example, they were never considered the best team in the league any of the years they won the Super Bowl, however they got hot just at the right time and got very lucky on a couple plays that won them the game.
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

quit bullying people.
Share 49ersWebzone