There are 252 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by 49ers9797:
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
I think this is the first time since Kyle has been here that I'm starting to have some doubt about him. I've always defended him and thought he was one of the smartest minds in the league but these choke jobs are becoming a trend. I don't think his play calling was really an issue today but there are just other parts that he needs to be held responsible for.

Kyle is one of the smartest minds in the league. But his instincts are bad.

That separates him from a Belichick.

Both smart. Belichick's instincts and ability to outcoach the opposition at critical moments was top notch.

Yes, look after so many times where Kyle has lost close games and blown leads, it's time for us to at least agree, Kyle has bad instincts.
Originally posted by captveg:
Ypure right - he's never winning a Super Bowl.

I know the future, and the 49ers are never winning a Supwr Bowl ever again. It's pointless.

I'm gonna stop watching now, you've convinced me.

Might as well crash the team plane and be done with them all.

That Dolphins fan's strategy is catching on.
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Situational awareness, time management, killer instinct, personnel (Bell over Cowing...), closing out games that you are in control of are not his strong suits. He will get analysts excited with cute shifts and motions and the fans too. But when the game is on the line you know Shanahan will CHOKE. He just doesn't have it where it really counts. Bill Walsh could close out a game. To think this guy can beat Coach Andy Reid in a Super Bowl.

Bill Walsh didn't have his top DC poached (Seifert). It's the biggest issue Kyle has had - not winning the Super Bowl but losing his top DCs to be HCs anyway.
And he's made terrible hires when replacing them.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mcwoot:
Kyle would benefit from a gameday playcaller

We should bring BB in and demote Kyle to OC.
Originally posted by DaleGribble:

He's made one great hire, one bad one, and the jury is still out on the third. It's been a bad start but its also early. DeMeco's defense didn't start on fire either in '21.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Problem isn't shanahan. It's investing in and expecting things from the wrong players. We have the highest paid player at X number of positions and in no case are they actually the best or really even close to it.
Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Situational awareness, time management, killer instinct, personnel (Bell over Cowing...), closing out games that you are in control of are not his strong suits. He will get analysts excited with cute shifts and motions and the fans too. But when the game is on the line you know Shanahan will CHOKE. He just doesn't have it where it really counts. Bill Walsh could close out a game. To think this guy can beat Coach Andy Reid in a Super Bowl.

It's amazing. He just can't get over his tendencies. Had the game in his grasp….went full turtle becoming pass happy and staying away from the run. Allowed LA to come back and win it.

Awful

As he always does. What a CLOWN.

Yes, a lot of our players also drink their own bath water.
Originally posted by 49ers9797:
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
I think this is the first time since Kyle has been here that I'm starting to have some doubt about him. I've always defended him and thought he was one of the smartest minds in the league but these choke jobs are becoming a trend. I don't think his play calling was really an issue today but there are just other parts that he needs to be held responsible for.

Kyle is one of the smartest minds in the league. But his instincts are bad.

That separates him from a Belichick.

Both smart. Belichick's instincts and ability to outcoach the opposition at critical moments was top notch.

Yes, look after so many times where Kyle has lost close games and blown leads, it's time for us to at least agree, Kyle has bad instincts.
Yep.

Thing is, we can't do much better at HC. Unless GB or the Rams fire their coaches. Which is highly unlikely.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

He's made one great hire, one bad one, and the jury is still out on the third. It's been a bad start but its also early. DeMeco's defense didn't start on fire either in '21.
Big difference in not starting on fire and allowing a depleted Rams team do as they please.

Big difference in not starting on fire and allowing a depleted Rams team do as they please.

The point is you don't make judgements about a team after 3 weeks. Let's see if our first time DC can adjust and if the team can grow and play better week to week. It hasn't been a good start, we can all agree with that.

The point is you don't make judgements about a team after 3 weeks. Let's see if our first time DC can adjust and if the team can grow and play better week to week. It hasn't been a good start, we can all agree with that.

I disagree a little. We have the same issues we had last year and even a bit the year before. Why?
Sorensen is getting schooled.

However, we have enough of a sample size to make judgements about Kyle.

We are making judgements about Kyle after a few years at the 49ers and also his time at previous teams.

And while we all agree that he is one of the best minds in the NFL, somehow his instincts in clutch situations seem to be bad, wrong, not clutch, uninspiring, and allow the opposition too much chance to win.
However, we have enough of a sample size to make judgements about Kyle.

We are making judgements about Kyle after a few years at the 49ers and also his time at previous teams.

And while we all agree that he is one of the best minds in the NFL, somehow his instincts in clutch situations seem to be bad, wrong, not clutch, uninspiring, and allow the opposition too much chance to win.

It wasn't Kyle's instincts that missed a kick, or dropped a pivotal pass late in the game.

Want to criticize Kyle for what looks to be a bad hire at DC for the 2nd straight time… there's merit to that.

Arguments about instincts when there are clear tangible reasons the team couldn't close the win is a waste of everyone's time.
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Right now. This is not a Superbowl team.
Share 49ersWebzone