There are 240 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
And he's made terrible hires when replacing them.

He's made one great hire, one bad one, and the jury is still out on the third. It's been a bad start but its also early. DeMeco's defense didn't start on fire either in '21.
it was not that bad though
Originally posted by RonnieLott:
However, we have enough of a sample size to make judgements about Kyle.

We are making judgements about Kyle after a few years at the 49ers and also his time at previous teams.

And while we all agree that he is one of the best minds in the NFL, somehow his instincts in clutch situations seem to be bad, wrong, not clutch, uninspiring, and allow the opposition too much chance to win.

It wasn't Kyle's instincts that missed a kick, or dropped a pivotal pass late in the game.

Want to criticize Kyle for what looks to be a bad hire at DC for the 2nd straight time… there's merit to that.

Arguments about instincts when there are clear tangible reasons the team couldn't close the win is a waste of everyone's time.

I'm not just talking about this game.

Kyle's whole career is defined by this type of loss.

Your criticism doesn't apply to this game, in my opinion. It's nonsense. There were no instinctual issues with how we lost this game. It was poor execution in key moments by our offense and a defense that couldn't get off the field.

We are making judgements about Kyle after a few years at the 49ers and also his time at previous teams.

And while we all agree that he is one of the best minds in the NFL, somehow his instincts in clutch situations seem to be bad, wrong, not clutch, uninspiring, and allow the opposition too much chance to win.

It wasn't Kyle's instincts that missed a kick, or dropped a pivotal pass late in the game.

Want to criticize Kyle for what looks to be a bad hire at DC for the 2nd straight time… there's merit to that.

Arguments about instincts when there are clear tangible reasons the team couldn't close the win is a waste of everyone's time.

This is definitely the game he loses. Which means we can't win the Super Bowl. No way.

Your criticism doesn't apply to this game, in my opinion. It's nonsense. There were no instinctual issues with how we lost this game. It was poor execution in key moments by our offense and a defense that couldn't get off the field.

But Kyle's instincts on running and passing in the last quarter were wrong

As happened in a number of other games.

Kyle's play calling (again not the first time) helped allow the momentum shift to change away from us and after that, sure, our players made mistakes and the Rams team sensing the momentum change also stepped up.

All these things happened in the 4th quarter. I agree.
[ Edited by RonnieLott on Sep 22, 2024 at 6:25 PM ]
Why did this fool not run it once during the last drive
Originally posted by ady2glude707:

Run the game out and we win.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

The game was tied. They needed to get into at least FG range.
Originally posted by captveg:

Before that. We had a 10 point lead and should have been pounding the hell out of the ball. All 3 downs. As usual Kyle doesn't know what to do and chokes the game away.
Originally posted by captveg:

Before that. We had a 10 point lead and should have been pounding the hell out of the ball. All 3 downs. As usual Kyle doesn't know what to do and chokes the game away.

Thought we were talking about the last drive.

Drives before that:

Got down to the red zone, run failed on 3rd down. Kicked FG.

Next drive when up 7 the team got in FG range. Really weren't any wrong plays with the clock as Purdy's scrambles kept the clock going just like running plays would have. There was one run that Guerendo went out of bounds under five minutes stopping the clock IIRC. Moody misses the kick.

I just don't see the offensive play calling as the problem here. It's a distant 3rd compared to the defense allowing so many 3rd down conversions and deep pass completions and the Special Teams failures.
[ Edited by captveg on Sep 22, 2024 at 7:12 PM ]

From a different lens Kyle's career is defined by taking bad teams and making them good 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Up 7 and not going for it on 4th and 1 killed them too
Originally posted by socalfan21:

You trust your guy to make the FG and go up two scores. That essentially wins the game at that point.
Originally posted by socalfan21:

I call for Kyle to be more aggressive but this would have been reckless IMO.

It was 4th and a longer 2 I believe, and a made kick gives you a two possession lead. If they were up 3? No brainer to go for it.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Sep 22, 2024 at 7:17 PM ]
This is definitely the game he loses. Which means we can't win the Super Bowl. No way.

At some point, players have to execute.

If Burford follows his assignment, we likely win the SB.

If JG hits Sanders, we likely win.

If Bell catches the ball today, we win.

I question some of his play calls, but his players still have to do their jobs.
Share 49ersWebzone