There are 491 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by evil:
Unfortunate to see some of you are already in mid-season form.

It's week three.

God knows the Niners aren't in mid-season form.

Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Look. I'm not saying firing Kyle like some are. But I am saying he needs to get grilled and questions need to be asked. We didn't replace Wilks just to get worse on defense. We didn't waste a 3rd round pick only to draft a kicker who can't make important kicks. We didn't keep Bell on the active roster over Cowing just to have him drop it. And don't even get me started on how another star holdout is once again costing us into the season…

Originally posted by PatandBow:
It's not year 1 with Kyle Shanahan. Take your blinders off there bud.

Originally posted by DrEll:
evil talking like we have a perennial SB winning dynasty to boot…lol

Originally posted by taney71:
We are the Buffalo Bills of this era and even worse because at least the 1990s Bills didn't think they were the best team in football. What is really starting to annoy me is the arrogance this team displays and the utter blindness in its faults. I do think that starts with Kyle but all the players who think they are the best or whatever. It's annoying. You guys have lost two Super Bowls and haven't won sh-t. And to top it off we play a ton of guys the most money for their position and then they play like crap the next year. Heck, even Deebo's bounce back year was mid.

It's week 3.

Kyle's teams have had a habit and a history of getting punched at times.... But habit and history also show they punch right back, they don't roll over.

We are supposed to be 49er Faithful. Some of ya'll want to bench 6 players, release two, trade one, fire 3 coaches and kick a puppy every time we lose.

Just breathe. Again, it's week 3.
They absolutely have a track record of bouncing back but it's not realistic to think that's sustainable year after year.

But the bigger question to me is why haven't these issued been addressed and instead been allowed to become the norm year after year.

YOU'VE gots to be kidding w/your question... it WILL NEVER CHANGE as long as we DON'T CHANGE OUR HC...

that is the only solution.. we got players on their prime, we got players on the way down but still can play, unless we get a real HC, we will continue to be in the hunt for being the SECOND BEST TEAM in the NFL..
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Kyle is the type of coach who will hypnotize TV commentators and fans with fancy shifts, motions and moving around. But when the chips are on the line he is just a disaster. No situational awareness, game management, time management, personnel decisions (Bell over Cowing... ), killer instinct, close out games, repeated collapses at the end, completely ignoring offensive line for years. Just all the stuff you really need to win in the NFL. Especially the big ones. He has cute motions and shifts. But closing out a game is not about that. He doesn't know how to. Maybe he should ask Andy Reid how.

Those three are long-standing fair criticisms of Shanahan. Going back to Atlanta in the Super Bowl where his play calling at the end cost Atlanta a Lombardi, he still makes the same mistakes now. On the last drive, instead of short passes with a high probability of completions and running the clock down, he is calling deep drops that put more pressure on the OL and lower completion percentages that left LA with plenty of time to go down the field and win the game.

Yes, Moody missed a long kick but the strategy should have been to grind out the time and make a short kick, if not a TD. That is the Shanahan failure in time management once again.

Yes I agree completely with those. For those reasons I'm not convinced you can win with this guy. Because those are so important to winning at the end.
Kyle is the type of coach who will hypnotize TV commentators and fans with fancy shifts, motions and moving around. But when the chips are on the line he is just a disaster. No situational awareness, game management, time management, personnel decisions (Bell over Cowing... ), killer instinct, close out games, repeated collapses at the end, completely ignoring offensive line for years. Just all the stuff you really need to win in the NFL. Especially the big ones. He has cute motions and shifts. But closing out a game is not about that. He doesn't know how to. Maybe he should ask Andy Reid how.

Those three are long-standing fair criticisms of Shanahan. Going back to Atlanta in the Super Bowl where his play calling at the end cost Atlanta a Lombardi, he still makes the same mistakes now. On the last drive, instead of short passes with a high probability of completions and running the clock down, he is calling deep drops that put more pressure on the OL and lower completion percentages that left LA with plenty of time to go down the field and win the game.

Yes, Moody missed a long kick but the strategy should have been to grind out the time and make a short kick, if not a TD. That is the Shanahan failure in time management once again.

Yes I agree completely with those. For those reasons I'm not convinced you can win with this guy. Because those are so important to winning at the end.

oh, you will get lots of WIN under Shanny, it just wont be a WIN when it counts.. he thrives to have the right to say. WE ALMOST WON !!!
Originally posted by 9moon:

oh, you will get lots of WIN under Shanny, it just wont be a WIN when it counts.. he thrives to have the right to say. WE ALMOST WON !!!

Yes I agree and that's been his history so far. I'm very convinced it will be tough to impossible to win the big game with him.

Yes I agree and that's been his history so far. I'm very convinced it will be tough to impossible to win the big game with him.

BEEN stating this years for about 6 years now.. he's just NOT meant to be a HC.. he's nothing more than an OC... but Lynch should just take over and let Shanny GO... He shouldn't feel like he OWES him anything !!

IF Kyle really wanted to win w/o worring about who takes the credit, he would have gotten:

Tom Brady
Bill Belicheat

... but nope, he wanted to stay with Grappy so that he can point to him as the reason why he fails..
Does he send JJ back to bench when Deebo is back?
Originally posted by jreff22:

they dont play the same role on the team
i actually think Shanny is off to a good start here. aside from maybe having some struggles vs Flores. he worked the Jets with Mason, and JJ went off. not a whole lot of tactical errors to complain about on O.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Ignoring the OL for this long is a f**king sin. If he can't see the problem he shouldn't be drafting players.

I think the OL coach has a TON with that as well.
I have a hard time believing the OL coach has that much control but if that's the case get a new one.

He does. There was an interview about it. Guys that score touchdowns > guys that protect.
Yeah I saw that but that doesn't point to the OL coach dictating the talent they acquire along the line that points to Shannahan undervaluing it.
I said in the O-line thread I think they are bad evaluators. It isn't just undervaluing them. They don't evaluate them well at all. There have been opportunities to get better, mostly at IOL. At RT it's crazy how McKivitz was handed a job, two seasons in a row. This is worse than when they handed Cassius Marsh a job.

Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by jcs:
This team is not playing hungry as if they expect to make the playoffs by simply showing up. That's on the HC

I came here to express similar sentiment this morning. Its always good to sleep on a game then reprocess in the morning for me.

It's obvious to me the years of Kyles staff being poached is showing its consequences. His sources back from Washington have dried up. He needs to get new blood for sure. Nots sure how, but he needs to bring in fresh ideas (Especially on defense and ST)

Another point is I think almost everyone agrees a negative around him and this regime is the o-line. There is really no debate imo. It is incredibly frustrating.

Aside that though is exactly what you said. This team back in 19 was a beast and nobody wanted to face us. We wore people out and were that physical with a F type of team.

We are not that anymore and tbh I think we are the the ones getting handled in the trenches far more often than not. So the question is why and that's the one that hangs darkest over Kyle imo.
Going to take time to rebuild that. He had new guys- Kubiak in New Orleans for example, Darryl Tapp on DL, and they got poached. As for the physical with an F,.dk you forget 2022 where every team that played us except one lost the following weak? 2023 we were kicking teams faces in for almost every game. Hell, they said that about us in week 1. Our effort has been trash the last 2 games, but it doesn't wipe out what we did for 2 years.

Based on that, Kyle is far more than an OC. A guy that's only an OC is Norv Turner. Kyle wins. A lot. He's a top 3 head coach. I'm pissed at the same things happening after years, but let's not make up false narratives about who he is.
Originally posted by boast:

they dont play the same role on the team

Yup. It just means hey, maybe we use these other guys more. JJ, Aiyuk, and Deebo play different positions.

Starting to be done thinking about yesterday and the highlighted areas that have been issues during the Shanahan era (bad ST, average-to-poor talent at key positions on the OL, etc.). Moving ahead now and looking forward to seeing how Shanahan and the team adjust & respond to this round of adversity.

Want to see them this Sun. vs. NE show a good response like they've done many times in the past when there have been rocky moments. It all starts at the top with the head coach.

Let's see them respond to the challenge - we know they can as we've seen it before. There's too much talent & experience on this team, even with some key injuries.

BEEN stating this years for about 6 years now.. he's just NOT meant to be a HC.. he's nothing more than an OC... but Lynch should just take over and let Shanny GO... He shouldn't feel like he OWES him anything !!

IF Kyle really wanted to win w/o worring about who takes the credit, he would have gotten:

Tom Brady
Bill Belicheat

... but nope, he wanted to stay with Grappy so that he can point to him as the reason why he fails..

I don't think he's the right HC or even HC material. OC at most and even there you would have to override some of his bonehead calls at the end of games. He's great at shifts and motions. Not the important parts of actually closing out games.

Tom Brady
Bill Belicheat

I don't think he's the right HC or even HC material. OC at most and even there you would have to override some of his bonehead calls at the end of games. He's great at shifts and motions. Not the important parts of actually closing out games.

I think his ideal position on a coaching staff is offensive quality control. He can call plays too unless it's a close game in the 4th
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
I think his ideal position on a coaching staff is offensive quality control. He can call plays too unless it's a close game in the 4th

he's a darn good HC. his defect is he can't coach the big game. the SB goes sideways on him more than basically any coach in SB history.
in September he can and does put on clinics. guys gotta make plays.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by PatandBow:
Kyle is to blame for hiring Sorensen.
Kyle is to blame for keeping the ST coach.
Kyle is to blame for Brendel Starting.
Kyle is to blame for Mckivitz Starting.
Kyle is to blame for keeping Ronnie Bell.
Kyle is to blame for taking his foot off the gas.
Kyle is to blame for not knowing how to coach 7 years later.
Kyle is to blame for not knowing how to close a game.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kyle-shanahan-49ers-had-a-chance-to-run-away-with-it-instead-we-gave-the-rams-hope

Kyle still doesn't take Accountability for his mistakes. It's everyone else's fault.

I hope this is the year that Jed kicks Kyle's Ego to the curb.

And hire who? Half the damn league is disciples of the shanahans.

at some point this team was gonna take a step back because of age and the amount of coaches that have been taken from here.

Also it's WK3 calm your tits

Yeah, I'm not going that far. The fire Shanahan stuff is crazy.

There is an awful pattern with how the team is constructed and personnel use, but even our great Super Bowl teams had bad losses. That's unavoidable 99.9% of the time.

The team will get better because they are better and have a lot of talent coming back-Dre, CMC, Deebo, and Kittle. And I'll include Aiyuk too because he still isn't fully himself yet.

With that said whether it's coaching or players, some issues are pretty consistent over the years. It's a game we should've closed out and Kyle the playcaller put them in position to do so. But surrendering 3rd downs the way we did, putting Bell out there (I'm sorry, he cannot be a guy you out out there when you are trying to close out the game), and the special teams debacle- we're just being outsmarted and beaten to the punch by inferior teams with elite playcallers.

No thanks man. 44 years old and been a fan since I was 5.

I was at the last Super Bowl win.

Shanahan is good at 1 thing and that's calling plays. Other than that he's in over his head. He has a huge EGO and doesn't take accountability.

I'd promote Kubiak. Outside the organization I would hire Bilacheck or Vrabel.
Share 49ersWebzone