LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 228 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Interesting.

We used to be leading or top of the league in motion, PA, YAC, now we are middle of the pack or towards the bottom.

When most of the league runs the same offenses, defenses are going to prepare better. Kyle just changing things up right now.

That's what I think as well and asked that yesterday after hearing Maiocco talk about it. IMO that's a good sign. If Kyle sees defense are getting used to what he has been doing, well now he's evolving more right? I also think Brock is good enough not to need motion to rely on identifying a defense.
Imagine Joe Montana playing in a league where he can't be hit.

Roger Craig in this era. Or Jerry Rice.

10 trophies

Steve Young even. His accuracy plus his ability to run.
Originally posted by Montana:

10 trophies

I remember a game as a kid, I forget who the opponent was...but anyway....they rolled out a base nickel when the 49ers took the field with normal starters...no 3rd WR. they actually put the CB, and nickel on Rice, with a safety over top then brought the SS to the middle of the field to help control Rice if he slanted or crossed.

It was an entire normal secondary aimed keeping lots of bodies around Rice. There are dudes from the 80s that might have issues adapting to super heavy use of complex switching zone these days....Rice is not one of them.

I actually think Craig (FB), Larry Centers (FB) and Marcus Allen (FB) would destroy today's defenses....shout out to Marc Logan (FB) as well... Walking mismatches that dominated in an era that was more adapted to deal with big FBs, few teams have enough quality LBers to deal with a RB a TE and FB in coverage.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I once heard an interview with Walsh after he retired. He was asked how his system would work with the new rules and defenses. He said he would need to change a few things but the basic structure could still works. obviously the game has changed even more since then so I wonder if he would still answer the question the same way.

Yes but imagine Lott and company trying to play in this era where you can't lay out receivers coming across the middle or touch the QB. It works both ways. No question today's rules help the offense. QBs routinely complete 65-70% of their passes. Montana's career completion % was 63. Young was 64%. It wasn't because they weren't accurate throwers. They were just under more pressure and had to throw into more tight windows. That doesn't mean they never had receivers that were wide open but the easy throws over the middle weren't normally there.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Oct 1, 2024 at 9:02 AM ]
I once heard an interview with Walsh after he retired. He was asked how his system would work with the new rules and defenses. He said he would need to change a few things but the basic structure could still works. obviously the game has changed even more since then so I wonder if he would still answer the question the same way.

Yes but imagine Lott and company trying to play in this era where you can't lay out receivers coming across the middle or touch the QB. It works both ways. No question today's rules help the offense. QBs routinely complete 65-70% of their passes. Montana's career completion % was 63. Young was 64%. It wasn't because they weren't accurate throwers. They were just under more pressure and had to throw into more tight windows. That doesn't mean they never had receivers that were wide open but the easy throws over the middle weren't normally there.

42 be out of the league after his 2nd year had ha been playing in this era..
Share 49ersWebzone