There are 223 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by MBNINER90266:
Nice that Shanahan is being shown that rookies can contribute. His instinct to not play them unless forced to by injury holds the team back.

This doesn't check out.

Puni, Jennings, Kittle are 3 examples of players we drafted and who all played as rookies without being forced due to injury.
Originally posted by evil:
Nice that Shanahan is being shown that rookies can contribute. His instinct to not play them unless forced to by injury holds the team back.

This doesn't check out.

Puni, Jennings, Kittle are 3 examples of players we drafted and who all played as rookies without being forced due to injury.

Yeah. Largely, in my view, it depends on the position but generally I approve of holding them back until they are ready. Running backs are a good example of players who are often rapidly translatable into the NFL whilst, despite Puni, O linemen often take a year or two. With receivers, Shanahan's routes are complex and it is, I believe, a difficult O to pick up. I don't think Shanahan holds his rookies back just to irritate the fans or because he likes to hold the team back.

This doesn't check out.

Puni was forced into action in preseason due to injury. Well know bruh. And I'm talking about significant playing time.
Originally posted by English:

This doesn't check out.

Yeah. Largely, in my view, it depends on the position but generally I approve of holding them back until they are ready. Running backs are a good example of players who are often rapidly translatable into the NFL whilst, despite Puni, O linemen often take a year or two. With receivers, Shanahan's routes are complex and it is, I believe, a difficult O to pick up. I don't think Shanahan holds his rookies back just to irritate the fans or because he likes to hold the team back.

My point is he doesn't trust them but some are ready to contribute day 1, like Puni. But he would never know unless his hand is forced. That's just his MO.

read this:

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/rookies-snap-counts-week-4-patriots/1789004/
Share 49ersWebzone