There are 239 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by MBNINER90266:
Nice that Shanahan is being shown that rookies can contribute. His instinct to not play them unless forced to by injury holds the team back.

This doesn't check out.

Puni, Jennings, Kittle are 3 examples of players we drafted and who all played as rookies without being forced due to injury.
Originally posted by evil:
Nice that Shanahan is being shown that rookies can contribute. His instinct to not play them unless forced to by injury holds the team back.

This doesn't check out.

Puni, Jennings, Kittle are 3 examples of players we drafted and who all played as rookies without being forced due to injury.

Yeah. Largely, in my view, it depends on the position but generally I approve of holding them back until they are ready. Running backs are a good example of players who are often rapidly translatable into the NFL whilst, despite Puni, O linemen often take a year or two. With receivers, Shanahan's routes are complex and it is, I believe, a difficult O to pick up. I don't think Shanahan holds his rookies back just to irritate the fans or because he likes to hold the team back.

This doesn't check out.

Puni was forced into action in preseason due to injury. Well know bruh. And I'm talking about significant playing time.
Originally posted by English:

This doesn't check out.

Yeah. Largely, in my view, it depends on the position but generally I approve of holding them back until they are ready. Running backs are a good example of players who are often rapidly translatable into the NFL whilst, despite Puni, O linemen often take a year or two. With receivers, Shanahan's routes are complex and it is, I believe, a difficult O to pick up. I don't think Shanahan holds his rookies back just to irritate the fans or because he likes to hold the team back.

My point is he doesn't trust them but some are ready to contribute day 1, like Puni. But he would never know unless his hand is forced. That's just his MO.

read this:

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/rookies-snap-counts-week-4-patriots/1789004/
Wow. So it's Foerester's fault for our run game struggling in the red zone.

"We had a call the last three weeks, Minnesota, L.A. and New England. Three calls that we made early in a series, in the red zone that just were bad calls on my part to suggest to have them on the list, to even think we could run the plays. Not having enough foresight to think they might do something different. And that's what they did. We had plays prepped for what we thought they were going to do, they came with something different. They were bad calls. And so, not Kyle's fault, my fault. I put them on the list as the number one call. I said, 'Call it.' Stayed to the list, and then they show up with the defense, it doesn't work out."
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

"We had a call the last three weeks, Minnesota, L.A. and New England. Three calls that we made early in a series, in the red zone that just were bad calls on my part to suggest to have them on the list, to even think we could run the plays. Not having enough foresight to think they might do something different. And that's what they did. We had plays prepped for what we thought they were going to do, they came with something different. They were bad calls. And so, not Kyle's fault, my fault. I put them on the list as the number one call. I said, 'Call it.' Stayed to the list, and then they show up with the defense, it doesn't work out."

Wow some context and not just a it's Kyle fault because I said so post…refreshing.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Wow some context and not just a it's Kyle fault because I said so post…refreshing.
you think those people actually use logic when making those statements ! lol

This doesn't check out.

Puni was forced into action in preseason due to injury. Well know bruh. And I'm talking about significant playing time.

When Kyle took over the roster was dismal. He had zero choice but to find and start new players..... and they built a damn good roster.

Now I get its hard to crack through as a starter and he is somewhat loyal to guys, but there are times he just sticks with someone because we are still winning (in spite of that player) and doesn't want to rock the boat.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

This doesn't check out.

Spencer Burford too, he started all 16 games as a rookie. They could've brought in any veteran to replace Burford before the season, but Shanahan knows what he has in his rookies during training camp.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

This doesn't check out.

Spencer Burford too, he started all 16 games as a rookie. They could've brought in any veteran to replace Burford before the season, but Shanahan knows what he has in his rookies during training camp.
Deebo, Warner , Mcglinch.. Waterboy from Alabama
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Oct 4, 2024 at 11:32 AM ]

NFL COACHES do not like to start rookies unless there is a clear talent gap......

If a rookie and 3rd year vet are close, even if the rookie might be slightly more effective down in and down out....most NFL coaches will go with the Vet...

Why?

Because statistics have shown rookies get flagged on average 20% more often their first season.

When it comes to skill players, Rookies are 18% more likely to fumble their rookie season compared to their second year in the league.

so yeah some players just can't be benched, they are that much better then the people around them, but in general...with a team capable of pushing deep post season runs year after year....it should be no surprise...in general....that rookies are having difficulty seeing the field...

Hell rookie version of Jerry Rice would have some issues cracking the starting lineup behind BA, Deebo, and JJ. So it should not be a negative reflecting that some of the younger WRs are not being rushed back on the field as they heal.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran

Wow... the offensive genius relies on his s**tty O-line coach to call plays in the red zone.
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Oct 4, 2024 at 4:04 PM ]
Originally posted by Koldo:

Wow... the offensive genius relies on his s**tty O-line coach to call plays in the red zone.

Lmao this can't be serious. You really think tha it works differently in the NFL? When they have coaches meetings every week, you think HCs just run the whole show? BB even relied heavily on his assistants game planing. This explains a lot on why your football takes are so s**t. You're clueless
[ Edited by GoreGoreGore on Oct 4, 2024 at 4:16 PM ]
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by Koldo:

Lmao this can't be serious. You really think tha it works differently in the NFL? When they have coaches meetings every week, you think HCs just run the whole show? BB even relied heavily on his assistants game planing. This explains a lot on why your football takes are so s**t. You're clueless

Yeah, maybe I was wrong expecting something different from the best offensive mind in football.
Share 49ersWebzone