There are 248 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
We were probably better off keeping Wilks than what we have now. Maybe a second year would've helped with installing his defense.

I remember us saying how terrible Saleh was for the first part of the season so I'm hoping this is just part of the acclimation process. Truthfully though this is worst I've ever seen this defense. This is bad.

Edit: worst I've seen it in the Shanny era not ever.
[ Edited by MucketyMuck on Oct 6, 2024 at 4:55 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Fire Kyle and hire Belichick

He'll bring in Josh McDaniels, which Jed likes very much!
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by kujon11:
I get that we don't have cmc but there's way too much talent on offense to struggle this much in the rz

There's definitely something off with it all right now. They should start rotating the types of plays they have to use down there to see what breaks through because the ones they are using aren't working.

A few thoughts:

The last few drafts have been pretty bad and it's showing.

Coaching poaching is also showing up.

ST is garbage, defense is mediocre. Offense is good, but misfiring compared to what we know it can do.

Overall for me is something Brady mentioned. Our team was known to be brutally physical and wear you down, we won the trenches etc, etc.

i believe we've lost that and teams can match us now as he said everyone been a drafting to match and beat us. But this also ties into our own bad drafting. We've invested a ton into the d line and tbh outside Bosa it's whatever and certainly not physical.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kujon11:
I get that we don't have cmc but there's way too much talent on offense to struggle this much in the rz

I think defenses have just gotten better to Shanny's scheme/playcalling. Shanny has become somewhat predictable I think especially when he doesn't run the ball and he came out pass happy to start the game
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
We were probably better off keeping Wilks than what we have now. Maybe a second year would've helped with installing his defense.

I remember us saying how terrible Saleh was for the first part of the season so I'm hoping this is just part of the acclimation process. Truthfully though this is worst I've ever seen this defense. This is bad.

Yeah everything really went to s**t once Demeco left. That's where they messed up, hiring Wilkes. They should've made the right hire there, and now they are still paying for it
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Still scratching my head about going for it on 4th & 23 in Cardinals territory when you could just pooch it to inside the 10 (or 5) and force the Cards to go almost the whole field (and maybe get the ball right back with good field position if you force a 3-and-out).

Eh, I agree with going for it due to the FG not being an option, but I would have liked to have seen a play that threw it into the endzone for either a TD, incompletion or a touchback myself. I don't like punting it 25 yards when it can still easily bounce in for a touchback when punters aren't used to punting it so short on purpose.

But you don't punt from there, you take a delay of game penalty and then maybe a false start penalty to back up 10 yards total then you punt it. Wish is good enough to get it high and at the very least inside the 15, maybe inside the 10 or better with the ball being caught on the fly (by ST design with a gunner).
  • Baldie
  • Veteran

Saleh and Ryans had talented depth. I don't think we have that this year. I mean despite his bad D as everyone was pointing out, we still got to the SB. What if he had stayed for a 2nd year? we'll never know. It couldn't be any worse than this
[ Edited by Baldie on Oct 6, 2024 at 5:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Baldie:

Saleh and Ryans had talented depth. I don't think we have that this year. I mean despite his bad D as everyone was pointing out, we still got to the SB. What if he had stayed for a 2nd year? we'll never know

It never looked this bad. Wilks had the secondary balling!
I get that Shanahan can't fumble the ball or pick up a blitzer that causes the game ending INT, but this team is offffff. They cannot close a game on offense when given the chance and holy geebus they cannot stop the opposing team on D when given the chance. This is the most unclutch Shanahan team ever in his competitive era
[ Edited by Silky on Oct 6, 2024 at 5:02 PM ]
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Predator85:

Saleh and Ryans had talented depth. I don't think we have that this year. I mean despite his bad D as everyone was pointing out, we still got to the SB. What if he had stayed for a 2nd year? we'll never know

It never looked this bad. Wilks had the secondary balling!

I know, that was the spotlight on D for the most part. Maybe he just needed an offseason to work on the front 7. Maybe it was a bad move to fire him....I dunno.....but Sorenson is not getting it done. Maybe demote him and put in the other guy they hired (the old LAC HC)

Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
But you don't punt from there, you take a delay of game penalty and then maybe a false start penalty to back up 10 yards total then you punt it. Wish is good enough to get it high and at the very least inside the 15, maybe inside the 10 or better with the ball being caught on the fly (by ST design with a gunner).

At the same time, Kittle holds the ball through contact and they take over at the 10.

Getting a good YAC player a ball underneath with a chance to get extra yards wasn't a terrible play IMO.
Originally posted by Silky:
I get that Shanahan can't fumble the ball or pick up a blitzer that causes the game ending INT, but this team is offffff. They cannot close a game on offense when given the chance and holy geebus they cannot stop the opposing team on D when given the chance. This is the most unclutch Shanahan team ever in his competitive era

Yeah, mediocre teams don't play with consistency. I'd be surprised if this version of the 49ers makes the playoffs now.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran

yeah its so bad. We hope each week for a turnaround but its starting to get any confidence in that. Hard to expect that on Thurs against SEA and then we have KC and DAL after that? LoL
We should consider going into rebuild mode… especially if we lose to the hawks. We just lost to two of the worst teams in the league… even the most optimistic of us has to be wavering at this point. To make as many mistakes as we make, in all phases of the game, points to an extremely poorly coached squad.

lose to the hawks: fire sale

yeah its so bad. We hope each week for a turnaround but its starting to get any confidence in that. Hard to expect that on Thurs against SEA and then we have KC and DAL after that? LoL

8-9 win season likely
Share 49ersWebzone