There are 172 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by Silky:
I get that Shanahan can't fumble the ball or pick up a blitzer that causes the game ending INT, but this team is offffff. They cannot close a game on offense when given the chance and holy geebus they cannot stop the opposing team on D when given the chance. This is the most unclutch Shanahan team ever in his competitive era

Yeah, mediocre teams don't play with consistency. I'd be surprised if this version of the 49ers makes the playoffs now.

No way in hell, maybe we have a chance if CMC comes back but even then, we're not sure what version of him we'll see and how long he'll last.
Originally posted by Koldo:
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Will Kyle ever take accountability for these horrid losses ?

Nah, as long as the national and local sports media (and some dumb fans) keep riding his jockstrap with the "offensive genius" label, he won't.

Look who's gleefully posting like a madman after a loss
Originally posted by Baldie:
yeah its so bad. We hope each week for a turnaround but its starting to get any confidence in that. Hard to expect that on Thurs against SEA and then we have KC and DAL after that? LoL

Neither of those teams are very good on offense though.
I get that Shanahan can't fumble the ball or pick up a blitzer that causes the game ending INT, but this team is offffff. They cannot close a game on offense when given the chance and holy geebus they cannot stop the opposing team on D when given the chance. This is the most unclutch Shanahan team ever in his competitive era

Yeah, mediocre teams don't play with consistency. I'd be surprised if this version of the 49ers makes the playoffs now.

It's pretty unlikely we make the playoffs. That's not pessimism… we'll have to win the west to make it in, and we've lost twice at home to the two worst teams in the west.
Something to consider. The following guys on this roster were All Pro or Pro Bowl players last year or shortly before:

• Purdy
  • Aiyuk
  • Kittle
  • Deebo
  • Trent
  • Juice
  • Ward
  • Huf
  • Bosa
  • Warner

Nevertheless, we are losing games to far inferior competition. Let that sink in. Which other teams have this wealth of talent?
Originally posted by Baldie:

yeah its so bad. We hope each week for a turnaround but its starting to get any confidence in that. Hard to expect that on Thurs against SEA and then we have KC and DAL after that? LoL

WE win because we have a lot of very talented players, but we CANT win because our HC does not know how to coach those talents.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:

It's pretty unlikely we make the playoffs. That's not pessimism… we'll have to win the west to make it in, and we've lost twice at home to the two worst teams in the west.

And if you look at the upcoming schedule, there is a realistic chance this team loses all 3 games before the bye week. There's talent but they are severely underperforming.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
But you don't punt from there, you take a delay of game penalty and then maybe a false start penalty to back up 10 yards total then you punt it. Wish is good enough to get it high and at the very least inside the 15, maybe inside the 10 or better with the ball being caught on the fly (by ST design with a gunner).

At the same time, Kittle holds the ball through contact and they take over at the 10.

Getting a good YAC player a ball underneath with a chance to get extra yards wasn't a terrible play IMO.

I hear what you're saying, but given Wish's track record over the years of pinning teams down near the 10 or better I would've gone that route. Kittle had some drops today and yes, he should not have dropped that one. With the offense just being a little off today, I would've liked to see them take their chances with Wish there. Pin the Cards deep, play the D, and get the ball right back.
Kyle this year seems already mentally drained to me. I can see why after losing 2 super bowls.... He needs to get some glock glock and get refreshed and change his hairstyle back to OG Kyle.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
I hear what you're saying, but given Wish's track record over the years of pinning teams down near the 10 or better I would've gone that route. Kittle had some drops today and yes, he should not have dropped that one. With the offense just being a little off today, I would've liked to see them take their chances with Wish there. Pin the Cards deep, play the D, and get the ball right back.

I can see it either way.

I will say I don't think we should generally be conservative with our current defense. I'd error on offensive aggression to try and balance.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Oct 6, 2024 at 5:11 PM ]

• Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Koldo:
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Will Kyle ever take accountability for these horrid losses ?

Nah, as long as the national and local sports media (and some dumb fans) keep riding his jockstrap with the "offensive genius" label, he won't.

Look who's gleefully posting like a madman after a loss

You should focus all your energy on making up excuses for your sorry-ass head coach.
Bad redzone play calling

Stubbon as F with the personel decisions
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by kujon11:
I get that we don't have cmc but there's way too much talent on offense to struggle this much in the rz

There's definitely something off with it all right now. They should start rotating the types of plays they have to use down there to see what breaks through because the ones they are using aren't working.

A few thoughts:

The last few drafts have been pretty bad and it's showing.

Coaching poaching is also showing up.

ST is garbage, defense is mediocre. Offense is good, but misfiring compared to what we know it can do.

Overall for me is something Brady mentioned. Our team was known to be brutally physical and wear you down, we won the trenches etc, etc.

i believe we've lost that and teams can match us now as he said everyone been a drafting to match and beat us. But this also ties into our own bad drafting. We've invested a ton into the d line and tbh outside Bosa it's whatever and certainly not physical.

All good points.

It wasn't even really the defense today. Sure, they had some lapses, but it was the combination of those lapses with the offensive struggles that led to the end result

If offense can capitalize on the Bosa INT for a TD that changes things. If the offense can get points on the drive that Mason fumbled that changes things. Defense gets to play differently with those larger leads, which changes the outcome. Maybe they still blow it, but these units aren't playing complimentary football to allow each other to push past their shortcomings like they used to.

I don't expect anything different on Thursday because the turnaround is so immediate. But after that in the mini-bye they need to overhaul some things to invigorate the team.
Originally posted by BYisGod:
Something to consider. The following guys on this roster were All Pro or Pro Bowl players last year or shortly before:

• Purdy
  • Aiyuk
  • Kittle
  • Deebo
  • Trent
  • Juice
  • Ward
  • Huf
  • Bosa
  • Warner

Nevertheless, we are losing games to far inferior competition. Let that sink in. Which other teams have this wealth of talent?

None of the O players matter if the OL is s**t. Warner can't cover the whole field.

instead of drafting a DB or OL we took a WR
Why TF we still have only 52 players?
Share 49ersWebzone