There are 231 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfaninnorcal:
Originally posted by DrEll:
People think we win Thursday and we're back on track. We're getting rocked by KC, probably Dallas, and then you have GB Det Buffalo still to play.

dynasty ova folks…

If we win on Thursday we are not just back on track but first place in our division with McCaffrey coming back against the Chiefs at home.

Why do you think we're first in our division ?

Because we would be. For at least a couple of days.
[ Edited by Montana on Oct 6, 2024 at 6:56 PM ]
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by kujon11:
I get that we don't have cmc but there's way too much talent on offense to struggle this much in the rz

There's definitely something off with it all right now. They should start rotating the types of plays they have to use down there to see what breaks through because the ones they are using aren't working.

A few thoughts:

The last few drafts have been pretty bad and it's showing.

Coaching poaching is also showing up.

ST is garbage, defense is mediocre. Offense is good, but misfiring compared to what we know it can do.

Overall for me is something Brady mentioned. Our team was known to be brutally physical and wear you down, we won the trenches etc, etc.

i believe we've lost that and teams can match us now as he said everyone been a drafting to match and beat us. But this also ties into our own bad drafting. We've invested a ton into the d line and tbh outside Bosa it's whatever and certainly not physical.

All good points.

It wasn't even really the defense today. Sure, they had some lapses, but it was the combination of those lapses with the offensive struggles that led to the end result

If offense can capitalize on the Bosa INT for a TD that changes things. If the offense can get points on the drive that Mason fumbled that changes things. Defense gets to play differently with those larger leads, which changes the outcome. Maybe they still blow it, but these units aren't playing complimentary football to allow each other to push past their shortcomings like they used to.

I don't expect anything different on Thursday because the turnaround is so immediate. But after that in the mini-bye they need to overhaul some things to invigorate the team.

It's weird, Purdy missed a few opportunities. We aren't finishing drives at all which is nuts. Something is off. My only fear is Purdy regressing. That being said many times guys just aren't open or he's not getting to the right read fast enough. They are simply leaving way too many points off the board.

The biggest difference to me is the defensive line. They just don't dominate anymore. Connor tore through them. And we almost get zero pressure with 4 guys anymore.
I get that we don't have cmc but there's way too much talent on offense to struggle this much in the rz

There's definitely something off with it all right now. They should start rotating the types of plays they have to use down there to see what breaks through because the ones they are using aren't working.

A few thoughts:

ST is garbage, defense is mediocre. Offense is good, but misfiring compared to what we know it can do.

Overall for me is something Brady mentioned. Our team was known to be brutally physical and wear you down, we won the trenches etc, etc.

i believe we've lost that and teams can match us now as he said everyone been a drafting to match and beat us. But this also ties into our own bad drafting. We've invested a ton into the d line and tbh outside Bosa it's whatever and certainly not physical.

All good points.

It wasn't even really the defense today. Sure, they had some lapses, but it was the combination of those lapses with the offensive struggles that led to the end result

If offense can capitalize on the Bosa INT for a TD that changes things. If the offense can get points on the drive that Mason fumbled that changes things. Defense gets to play differently with those larger leads, which changes the outcome. Maybe they still blow it, but these units aren't playing complimentary football to allow each other to push past their shortcomings like they used to.

I don't expect anything different on Thursday because the turnaround is so immediate. But after that in the mini-bye they need to overhaul some things to invigorate the team.

It's weird, Purdy missed a few opportunities. We aren't finishing drives at all which is nuts. Something is off. My only fear is Purdy regressing. That being said many times guys just aren't open or he's not getting to the right read fast enough. They are simply leaving way too many points off the board.

The biggest difference to me is the defensive line. They just don't dominate anymore. Connor tore through them. And we almost get zero pressure with 4 guys anymore.
The DL is being paid obscene amounts of money and they are absolute trash. Something needs to be done there immediately.

The OL is also trash and probably responsible for the shotgun heavy approach trying to give Purdy time which limits play calling.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Shana_FANS got more excuses than the Al_EXCUSES days. He's completely over matched and out coached all the time. Can't keep a lead or close out a game. Can't win the big games. It is what it is. Time to move on from him. We need new coaching.

After a long recovery after the sb loss, I learned to stop taking the losses personally and I stopped being emotional about it. I look at it through a different perspective. 5 weeks in and I can undoubtedly say, you are correct. This team needs to move on. He may be the best mind in football but that is not translating into a culture of winning. This team is a mess. The coaching is atrocious in all phases. High talent players are underperforming. The wheels are coming off folks. If you think today was bad just you wait. The schedule will not be nice to us. CMC is irrelevant so please don't think he will cure all of our woes. Just step back and look at how this team plays. Is this a playoff team? Forget Super Bowl, just playoffs.. no it's not. Sub .500. Losses will mount and before you know it the only topic in here will be how we waste our higher than usual draft pick. All the usual defenders of Kyle will be out in force… that's cool, we all have our opinions but I have made up my mind. We are headed for some lean times and it's the best time to bring in a new regime. This one is stale, actually it's regressing. When we finish with a losing record and miss the playoffs this year and start shedding payroll next year and miss the playoffs again will that be the right time to cut ties? Or do we need to give Kyle more time to get it right? Its sad to watch wasted opportunities and wasted talent….
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:

A few thoughts:

All good points.

The DL is being paid obscene amounts of money and they are absolute trash. Something needs to be done there immediately.

The OL is also trash and probably responsible for the shotgun heavy approach trying to give Purdy time which limits play calling.

To recap. The offensive line is trash. We can't score in the red zone. The defense is trash. Special Teams is trash. What's left? This team is in trouble….
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Shana_FANS got more excuses than the Al_EXCUSES days. He's completely over matched and out coached all the time. Can't keep a lead or close out a game. Can't win the big games. It is what it is. Time to move on from him. We need new coaching.

After a long recovery after the sb loss, I learned to stop taking the losses personally and I stopped being emotional about it. I look at it through a different perspective. 5 weeks in and I can undoubtedly say, you are correct. This team needs to move on. He may be the best mind in football but that is not translating into a culture of winning. This team is a mess. The coaching is atrocious in all phases. High talent players are underperforming. The wheels are coming off folks. If you think today was bad just you wait. The schedule will not be nice to us. CMC is irrelevant so please don't think he will cure all of our woes. Just step back and look at how this team plays. Is this a playoff team? Forget Super Bowl, just playoffs.. no it's not. Sub .500. Losses will mount and before you know it the only topic in here will be how we waste our higher than usual draft pick. All the usual defenders of Kyle will be out in force… that's cool, we all have our opinions but I have made up my mind. We are headed for some lean times and it's the best time to bring in a new regime. This one is stale, actually it's regressing. When we finish with a losing record and miss the playoffs this year and start shedding payroll next year and miss the playoffs again will that be the right time to cut ties? Or do we need to give Kyle more time to get it right? Its sad to watch wasted opportunities and wasted talent….

Yeah I agree with a lot of those. You are right.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
What do you expect him to say when they fumble inside the 10 after a nice drive that could have sealed the game? Was he supposed to tell Mason not to fumble?

I said accountability for the loss, not for one drive.

Or do you think he really doesn't have to take accountability for 0 second half points against a mediocre at best defensice team, at home?

0 second half points. One for six in the redzone.

Yeah they don't have CMC right now. Other teams besides Eagles also don't have a comparable player. Doesn't prevent them from scoring touchdowns.

Not only it was a bad game offensively, it was a patented loss where they held a lead in the fourth and squandered it.

But I'm sure there will be scapegoats. Steve Wilks, Tartt, Burford, Mason, Moody. Anyone but Kyle.

I want my teams head coach to take some responsibility and accountability. Dan Campbell has no problem doing this.

Originally posted by ninerfaninnorcal:
People think we win Thursday and we're back on track. We're getting rocked by KC, probably Dallas, and then you have GB Det Buffalo still to play.

dynasty ova folks…

If we win on Thursday we are not just back on track but first place in our division with McCaffrey coming back against the Chiefs at home.

don't you have to win a super bowl once to be considered a dynasty? asking for a friend.

Guy is a coordinator; always been a loser; always will be.

I think most of us could have coached the team last year to a super bowl win. It's one of the greatest rosters ever assembled.

Why should we expect him to win with anything less when he can't win with more than anyone else?

Wasted what could have been about 3 lombardi's on this f**king dork. It's time.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran

This is not what I want to hear but it's the truth. I really don't want to look at losing seasons again but we might have to in order to fix this. Man, we were at the doorstep (SB) a few times but just couldn't pull it off. If we had won a SB, rebuilding wouldn't hurt so much.

• bud49
  • Veteran

A few thoughts:

All good points.

I think he(Purdy) is trying to hard.
Originally posted by Baldie:

This is not what I want to hear but it's the truth. I really don't want to look at losing seasons again but we might have to in order to fix this. Man, we were at the doorstep (SB) a few times but just couldn't pull it off. If we had won a SB, rebuilding wouldn't hurt so much.

A good coach would have one won super bowl.

A great would have won two or three.

We have none. That's all I'll say.

I've sat through 02-10 and 14-19. I'll do it again if it means actually winning.
The dline is fine. It's not great but it's fine imo. Bosa is still elite. Collins is doing well.

How many times did a safety or lb get in the backfield only for the rb to break tackle and go forward for extra 5-7 yards. The back seven went from one of the best tackling teams in football to some sad clown show. Bad angles, can make tackles.

It's really hard to accept but I also agree. It's a downright scary thought but the reality is even the SB years were a hard pill to swallow. The disappointing part of it all is the roster may never again be what it was the past several years and we couldn't get it done. With the imminent Brock contract coming that replication of talent may not come again.

I didn't always feel this way but I'm allowed to change I guess but I prefer to see a HC manage the team and I do think I'm ready for an OC as a stand alone position.

I do wonder if Bill B is washed or if a chance like this a blessing. And it doesn't need to be Bill. Just talking. Kyle's greatest years ahead maybe team 2 as an OC or in a HC role with OC. I think the man was given too much power from the beginning and there was no turning back once that happened.

This team has underperformed and that includes losing at least one of the SBs. I will support the season as nothing will change until next year but if it's just more of the same I would fully support a change. We now have the one thing that won't change for a decade or more. That's the QB. HC is fully expendable. We are not married until death do us part.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Oct 6, 2024 at 7:42 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erson3:
It's really hard to accept but I also agree. It's a downright scary thought but the reality is even the SB years were a hard pill to swallow. The disappointing part of it all is the roster may never again be what it was the past several years and we couldn't get it done. With the imminent Brock contract coming that replication of talent may not come again.

I didn't always feel this way but I'm allowed to change I guess but I prefer to see a HC manage the team and I do think I'm ready for an OC as a stand alone position.

I do wonder if Bill B is washed or if a chance like this a blessing. And it doesn't need to be Bill. Just talking. Kyle's greatest years ahead maybe team 2 as an OC or in a HC role with OC. I think the man was given too much power from the beginning and there was no turning back once that happened.

These team has underperformed and that includes losing at least one of the SBs. I will support the season as nothing will change until next year but if it's just more of the same I would fully support a change. We now have the one think that won't change for a decade or more. That's the QB. HC is fully expendable. We are not married until death do us part.

Important to understand how that happened especially in the context of a discussion about looking for new leadership.
Share 49ersWebzone