There are 214 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by lamontb:
The defense is done being a dominant unit. Totally patchwork front 7 isn't cutting it. Need to invest some early round draft capital in the front 7 instead of hoping late rounders hit. And the offense that should be picking up that slack can't score tds. Not hard to see why we are losing games.

The issues are primarily in the middle on both sides of the ball. They never adequately replaced Buckner on the DL and blockers are getting to the LBs too often. On the other side, Brendel is a disaster. He can't hold up physically and he's missing calls too often which results in him or another OL blocking against thin air way too frequently.

That and they have like four strong safeties and not one centerfielder type.

We lost the trenches. This year is a wash barring some miracle.
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Kyle has got this team to this point by losing assistant coaches to other teams then him being to d am hard headed and egotistical to hire competent DCs and OCs from outside. He wants to promote from the inside so he can keep it under his thumb.
Originally posted by Baldie:
As much as people want a regime change, I think shanny/Lynch stick around as long as BB stuck around in NE. York is fine with a Shannahan running the team. I mean how many losing seasons have we had compared to competitive seasons? Not many and as long as we make the playoffs, that's good enough for York. Getting to the SB is just a bonus.

Bill has a boatload of trophies and parades. Huge huge difference.
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erson3:
Originally posted by Baldie:
As much as people want a regime change, I think shanny/Lynch stick around as long as BB stuck around in NE. York is fine with a Shannahan running the team. I mean how many losing seasons have we had compared to competitive seasons? Not many and as long as we make the playoffs, that's good enough for York. Getting to the SB is just a bonus.

Bill has a boatload of trophies and parades. Huge huge difference.

All that worked in New England because BB had TB once TB was gone then BB left a few after. As they say he knew what the score was without Tom and went on his way.
Originally posted by bud49:
Kyle has got this team to this point by losing assistant coaches to other teams then him being to d am hard headed and egotistical to hire competent DCs and OCs from outside. He wants to promote from the inside so he can keep it under his thumb.

I get it. He does look like he is spread too thin.

Do I think he should be fired? Hell no. Do I think he needs a slap of reality and reassessment? Absolutely.

IMO this offseason he needs to reboot himself and pretend he is taking over like he did in 17:

New ST and DC (or maybe Saleh comes back?) TBH I think whatever this defensive scheme is, is figured out or requires way to much talent to function. I think trying a new direction here may pay big dividends quick.

Really he needs to get new blood in the building on every side of the ball.

As far as the roster after this year we actually still have a great core to build around, but that's more for the Lynch thread.
All that worked in New England because BB had TB once TB was gone then BB left a few after. As they say he knew what the score was without Tom and went on his way.

Kyle's problem is he has not learned from his mistakes. He keeps s**tting the bed in the 4th, he goes away from what works, and he keeps ignoring the same position needs EVERY year. I fully expect the same s**t agin unless Jed steps in and forces change.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Kyle's problem is he has not learned from his mistakes. He keeps s**tting the bed in the 4th, he goes away from what works, and he keeps ignoring the same position needs EVERY year. I fully expect the same s**t agin unless Jed steps in and forces change.

This is what I meant. Kyle needs to reboot and say OK. I know what works, and what hasn't. Let me try this instead.... Or at the least try something new.

The fact the lines suck is what has me annoyed. Fundamental stuff ignored or completely missed.
I'm not really surprised to see the defense struggling, since the hiring of Sorensen was questionable to begin with, but I really expected much more from the offense, even without CMC out there.
The difference is when we went through this in 2021 for example our team was much younger. Kyle had better and fresher players to work with and bounce back. Some of those issues plaguing us were correctable. I don't see that in 2024.
  • bud49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by jreff22:

This is what I meant. Kyle needs to reboot and say OK. I know what works, and what hasn't. Let me try this instead.... Or at the least try something new.

The fact the lines suck is what has me annoyed. Fundamental stuff ignored or completely missed.

One thing he needs to get rid of IMO is running Deebo out of the backfield he isn't a RB quit with that. It worked in the beginning but it is old and outdated.

One thing he needs to get rid of IMO is running Deebo out of the backfield he isn't a RB quit with that. It worked in the beginning but it is old and outdated.

That play hasn't fooled any team in quite sometime. Move on, be creative somewhere else.
Originally posted by TD49ers:
Wow....6 of 12 goal to go.

Feels like this is where we miss CMC the most

30th in the league.

That means there are 29 other teams scoring better than us in those situations WITHOUT the best RB in the league.

I'd even guess many are doing without a running back as good as Mason, too.

It's far deeper than just missing CMC.
There's no question that not having CMC has thrown this offense out of balance. Kyle didn't plan on not having him. He was their prime red zone threat and a major safety valve for Purdy. Now he's not there and they're terrible in the red zone. We also see Purdy scrambling more because he doesn't have CMC to throw to. We can't forget how much better this offense looked last year and the last few games of 2022 when CMC was added. Then we had Aiyuk holding out and being a non factor for the first 4 games.

This is a really challenging year for Kyle. He's having to rethink this offense and right now it's not clicking. Some fans have mentioned how defenses have figured out how to take away those short passes that turn into big gains. That may be true since so many teams started copying that style of offense. Now it's time for the offenses to change again.

The last big issue is the defense. They just aren't getting those 3 and outs like we are used to seeing. No consistent pressure on the QB. Not tackling well. Maybe it's just an adjustment to a new DC. Not having Greenlaw certainly hurts. Huff can't seem to stay on the field. It's just been a bad year all around so far.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
There's no question that not having CMC has thrown this offense out of balance. Kyle didn't plan on not having him. He was their prime red zone threat and a major safety valve for Purdy. Now he's not there and they're terrible in the red zone. We also see Purdy scrambling more because he doesn't have CMC to throw to. We can't forget how much better this offense looked last year and the last few games of 2022 when CMC was added. Then we had Aiyuk holding out and being a non factor for the first 4 games.

This is a really challenging year for Kyle. He's having to rethink this offense and right now it's not clicking. Some fans have mentioned how defenses have figured out how to take away those short passes that turn into big gains. That may be true since so many teams started copying that style of offense. Now it's time for the offenses to change again.

The last big issue is the defense. They just aren't getting those 3 and outs like we are used to seeing. No consistent pressure on the QB. Not tackling well. Maybe it's just an adjustment to a new DC. Not having Greenlaw certainly hurts. Huff can't seem to stay on the field. It's just been a bad year all around so far.

Biggest red flag asides Purdy's development is the players themselves. Once the players aren't bought in.....

Hopefully they can turn this around, but I cant see much improvement, or certainly no better a result as previous seasons when both lines have glaring talent weaknesses on top of bad coaching, execution, and mistakes compared to past rosters.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
I'm not really surprised to see the defense struggling, since the hiring of Sorensen was questionable to begin with, but I really expected much more from the offense, even without CMC out there.

Shanahan simply doesn't want to adjust. It's his s**t way or the highway. He doesn't know how to adjust for injuries or adjust mid game. We're stuck with this.
Share 49ersWebzone