There are 282 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
The whole league is using Kyles scheme. And they are using it to pass him up. My biggest fear is that Kyle won't learn his "Andy Reid" lesson until he's fired, then go to the next team and win the SB.

too many ppl use this comp.

i see no reason why Shanny would randomly have a career that coincidentally mirrors Andy Reid. Reid had his journey and Shanny's will be different.

even if you feel Shanny will have his career go like Reid, you would have nothing to fear. PHI won without Reid. KC won with Reid. so you win no matter what you do, if you follow your logic. nothing to fear.
shanny now 38-1 when up 10 entering the 4th quarter
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Originally posted by gored49:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I agree. Shanahan is a great coach with imperfections. He's not gonna have a great game every time just like not all players will.

Anyone who can't accept that will never be able to judge him objectively.

And they will be a miserable fan because every coach has imperfections and loses games. Most don't do half of what Kyle has done here.

Just remember "65% of Americans believe they are above average in intelligence" yet testing shows Americans on average are below the average intelligence level and 21% read below a 5th grade level. So odds are you may be arguing with a stump online.
Or you may be one yourself.

Maybe. You never know online but I'm sure long enough on the board people can distinguish what they are working with.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Not counting the two playoff L's.

Fire him.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

I definitely believe that.

Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Some context would be nice on this. When I think of our close losses with Shanahan I remember drops, fumbles, muffed punts, missed blocks, missed field goals, etc. I'm sure several attributed to shanahan bad play calling but that number seems exceptionally high for a team that has been overall successful.

if I had to give one strong critique compared to the harbaugh era is that harbaugh built an offensive line that wore down the opponent towards the end of games. I feel the opposite for shanahan with a finesse oline. We have never really imposed our will in the running game to close out games.
Some context would be nice on this. When I think of our close losses with Shanahan I remember drops, fumbles, muffed punts, missed blocks, missed field goals, etc. I'm sure several attributed to shanahan bad play calling but that number seems exceptionally high for a team that has been overall successful.

if I had to give one strong critique compared to the harbaugh era is that harbaugh built an offensive line that wore down the opponent towards the end of games. I feel the opposite for shanahan with a finesse oline. We have never really imposed our will in the running game to close out games.

they just talked yesterday about the physicality of SF and teams having to match that level of physicality. what is finesse OL? what does that mean? is that Puni? or Trent? or Banks?
Shanahan's offense always seemed to work best when it was based on play-action with lots of motion. This kept the LBs honest and closer to the LOS. The result was more room to throw behind them. Occasionally Kyle would dial up a straight drop back pass but that was more the exception than the rule as it seems to be now.

Last week Mike Silver wrote that it seemed like Kyle had switched to more drop-back throws to take advantage of Purdy's willingness to throw the deep ball. Whether that is the reason or not, It is an accurate picture of what is happening.

The problem is that the OL, especially Brendel, is not capable of protecting well enough to make a diet of that. The opposing front 7 has less to worry about with no play-action and they can tee off.

All this should be relatively easy to fix - just go back to more play-action. All that stuff is still in the playbook. Use it. All five of the starting OL grade out much better in run blocking than passing. That, plus the threat of Mason, should not only continue to roll up yards on the ground, it will set up PA very well.

A true saying, "you have left the love you had at first."
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Not counting the two playoff L's.

Fire him.

Can you remind us which 2 playoff losses they were ?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

they just talked yesterday about the physicality of SF and teams having to match that level of physicality. what is finesse OL? what does that mean? is that Puni? or Trent? or Banks?

I'm no oline expert but wasn't harbaugh more of a big man and power scheme while shanahan values a line that can move. Watching the game (refused to rewatch), I remembered thinking we could not get a consistent 3+ yards a carry. Seems like we either got 1 or less or popped a big run. So we weren't able to shove the defense back but were able to open up holes when schemed correctly. I'd welcome someone with better knowledge disagreeing.

• DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
The whole league is using Kyles scheme. And they are using it to pass him up. My biggest fear is that Kyle won't learn his "Andy Reid" lesson until he's fired, then go to the next team and win the SB.

The only way Kyle wins a Super Bowl is if he, like Reid, finds himself a generational quarterback that plays the game OUTSIDE of the box that Kyle draws up for him. Reid had McNabb who was more than a serviceable quarterback in Philadelphia. But Reid couldn't get out of his own way, and with a QB limited to playing within the scopes of his offensive scheme, he couldn't win the big game. That is until he found Mahomes who plays unorthodox, using Reid's WCO scheme and incorporating his own mobility / prowess into play.

Shanahan failed with Matt Ryan. He failed with Jimmy. He failed with Brock. Those are all "systems" QBs that play with the scheme Shanahan has put forth for them. He can't win that way.

Fire him and let him go to another cellar dweller. Maybe he'll be smart enough to choose a good QB early instead of throwing a dart in round 7 at the last pick and landing on a prayer.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I agree. Shanahan is a great coach with imperfections. He's not gonna have a great game every time just like not all players will.

Anyone who can't accept that will never be able to judge him objectively.

And they will be a miserable fan because every coach has imperfections and loses games. Most don't do half of what Kyle has done here.

Some of us have a higher bar than "make the playoffs". According to you, 2 NFCC losses and 2 SB losses equates to greatness.

Sorry, but I saw plenty of NFCC games in the 80s and 90s. I don't get a boner every time we make a deep playoff run, bc I expect the team to play to its standard, which is win championships.

Man, what happened to this fanbase ? Soft…
Originally posted by DrEll:
Can you remind us which 2 playoff losses they were ?

The Super Bowl and NFC championship game.

Definitely should be fired.

Shanahan failed with Matt Ryan. He failed with Jimmy. He failed with Brock. Those are all "systems" QBs that play with the scheme Shanahan has put forth for them. He can't win that way.

Purdy has broken the mold. He has moved Shanahan from a play-action based run game to a drop back passing game. Purdy's game is very different from Jimmy. It has been a while since KS was in Atlanta but I don't recall as much deep success there as with Purdy now.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

Purdy has broken the mold. He has moved Shanahan from a play-action based run game to a drop back passing game. Purdy's game is very different from Jimmy. It has been a while since KS was in Atlanta but I don't recall as much deep success there as with Purdy now.

Yes Brock is an upgrade over Jimmy. Not sure about Matt Ryan yet. But still plays within the scheme. It's why KC DC had success vs both QBs in both SBs. Knew exactly how to attack Shanahan's offense, and although it was clear that Brock fared better, when it got thick he was wrecked just as bad as Jimmy. That's falls on Kyle's scheme.
Share 49ersWebzone