LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 286 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
shanny now 38-1 when up 10 entering the 4th quarter

Originally posted by blizzuntz:

What this tells me is that in those games the team did really poorly primarily in the 3rd quarter and let the team stick around. Also, if some of those 10 point leads were lost in the 1st half I just chalk that up to 2020s NFL. 10 point leads are really nothing early in games these days.

The thing that bothers me about the Shanahan haters is that half say he's too conservative and half say he's too aggressive. In game threads it's constant "Run the ball!" posts right next to "Stay aggressive!" posts. If there was a commonly agreed to point being made it would make more sense to me.

Someone said Shanny's "Add to a lead, protect the ball, stop them on defense" answer today was milquetoast, but he's also not wrong: If the team does just ONE of those three in the second half yesterday they win.
Originally posted by dj43:
Purdy has broken the mold. He has moved Shanahan from a play-action based run game to a drop back passing game. Purdy's game is very different from Jimmy. It has been a while since KS was in Atlanta but I don't recall as much deep success there as with Purdy now.

It was there in 2016. Ryan had arguably the most efficient season by a QB in NFL history using certain metrics.

Very similar numbers to Purdy last year in terms of YPA, AY/A, YPC. Ryan also didn't have the set of YAC monsters we had last season… though he did have Jones, who was the best receiver on either team by a wide margin.
Originally posted by dj43:
Shanahan's offense always seemed to work best when it was based on play-action with lots of motion. This kept the LBs honest and closer to the LOS. The result was more room to throw behind them. Occasionally Kyle would dial up a straight drop back pass but that was more the exception than the rule as it seems to be now.

Last week Mike Silver wrote that it seemed like Kyle had switched to more drop-back throws to take advantage of Purdy's willingness to throw the deep ball. Whether that is the reason or not, It is an accurate picture of what is happening.

The problem is that the OL, especially Brendel, is not capable of protecting well enough to make a diet of that. The opposing front 7 has less to worry about with no play-action and they can tee off.

All this should be relatively easy to fix - just go back to more play-action. All that stuff is still in the playbook. Use it. All five of the starting OL grade out much better in run blocking than passing. That, plus the threat of Mason, should not only continue to roll up yards on the ground, it will set up PA very well.

A true saying, "you have left the love you had at first."

great insights. gives me hope that they can right the ship.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:
serious question. What makes him an incredible offensive mind?

Half the NFL is running variants of his scheme? Bill Belichick has gone out of his way to praise his offense and attempted to utilize a form of it himself in New England?

People at the top of the highest echelon of the NFL: "Kyle is brilliant"

Randoms on the internet: "But how do we know?"

Hahaha… Common sense is nowhere to be found today, apparently.

He's such a genius that he can't close the deal, even when he's leading by 10 points late in the 4th. Twice.

An absolute genius!
[ Edited by maximusdecimus on Oct 7, 2024 at 5:15 PM ]
He's such a genius that he can't close the deal, even when he's leading by 10 points late in the 4th. An absolute genius!

38-3 in his career as a HC in that scenario.

Great point though.

edit: actually 42-3.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Oct 7, 2024 at 5:18 PM ]
He's such a genius that he can't close the deal, even when he's leading by 10 points late in the 4th. Twice.

An absolute genius!

Stupid Kyle fumbling and throwing picks.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
He's such a genius that he can't close the deal, even when he's leading by 10 points late in the 4th. An absolute genius!

38-3 in his career as a HC in that scenario.

Great point though.

With zero super bowl. Even when he was right on the verge, THREE TIMES

Hes so great the best player on defense is taking back handed shots at him. You crazy shanna-fans....all the way to the end!
[ Edited by maximusdecimus on Oct 7, 2024 at 5:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
serious question. What makes him an incredible offensive mind?

Half the NFL is running variants of his scheme? Bill Belichick has gone out of his way to praise his offense and attempted to utilize a form of it himself in New England?

People at the top of the highest echelon of the NFL: "Kyle is brilliant"

Randoms on the internet: "But how do we know?"

Hahaha… Common sense is nowhere to be found today, apparently.

An absolute genius!

What's his record on comeback wins in the 4th? It's pretty dismal.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

An absolute genius!

Stupid Kyle fumbling and throwing picks.

Your right. The players won't get fired if this continues. Kyle will.
Originally posted by gored49:
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Originally posted by gored49:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I agree. Shanahan is a great coach with imperfections. He's not gonna have a great game every time just like not all players will.

Anyone who can't accept that will never be able to judge him objectively.

And they will be a miserable fan because every coach has imperfections and loses games. Most don't do half of what Kyle has done here.

Just remember "65% of Americans believe they are above average in intelligence" yet testing shows Americans on average are below the average intelligence level and 21% read below a 5th grade level. So odds are you may be arguing with a stump online.
Or you may be one yourself.

Maybe. You never know online but I'm sure long enough on the board people can distinguish what they are working with.
But wouldn't a stump think the more intelligent person was a stump because they aren't smart enough to realize they're a stump?

Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
shanny now 38-1 when up 10 entering the 4th quarter

What this tells me is that in those games the team did really poorly primarily in the 3rd quarter and let the team stick around. Also, if some of those 10 point leads were lost in the 1st half I just chalk that up to 2020s NFL. 10 point leads are really nothing early in games these days.

The thing that bothers me about the Shanahan haters is that half say he's too conservative and half say he's too aggressive. In game threads it's constant "Run the ball!" posts right next to "Stay aggressive!" posts. If there was a commonly agreed to point being made it would make more sense to me.

Someone said Shanny's "Add to a lead, protect the ball, stop them on defense" answer today was milquetoast, but he's also not wrong: If the team does just ONE of those three in the second half yesterday they win.

Pretty fair to say I've seen way more swings in Todays game (at all levels ) in scores

would prefer to see this stat compared to recent /active coaches
[ Edited by blizzuntz on Oct 7, 2024 at 5:30 PM ]

So before Shanny...the answer was Bill Walsh??????

Tells me the question is dumb...

Buck Shaw, Mooch, and Nolan are not equal to or better than Bill Walsh. Making this stat dumb...

Bill Walsh coaches 132 regular season games with the 49ers, 102 with Joe Montana under center, 21 with Steve Deburg, 2 with Bono, 104 with Jerry Rice.

Shanny has coached 103 regular season games, 47 with jimmy G, 26 with Brock Purdy, those 30-ish other games he had random QBs.

Between Jimmy G, and Brock Purdy... Shanny has lost 8 regular season games they had a 10 point lead in.

Bill Walsh had...what? 8 HOF players in the 80s?

Does anyone even remotely think Shanny has NEAR the same level of Talent on his 49er teams?

Hell you could even argue Deburg and Bono were better QBs then the later version of Jimmy G. ( Bono was just better PERIOD...but that is post bill Walsh thing)

Just to save people the trouble of looking it up.... Joe Montana and Bill Walsh have only lost 3 games TOTAL they had a 10 point lead in.... Joe Montana was a magic man, he only had 6 total in his career....
[ Edited by Dshearn on Oct 7, 2024 at 5:51 PM ]
Would we be as harsh on the HC if we won by 1 point? Probably not.

Maybe this situation is a good wake up call........at least it seems that way from what the players are saying.

But, from what KS said on Monday presser I don't think there is enough room in his head to learn from the miss steps.

He is a coach that would say "onward and upward and we can clean up the mess later". hence the need for players like CMC, Kittle etc.

Bust or boom we the fans must get comfortable in the thrill ride, or pass out. I prefer the Dan Campbell type of HC but this is who we got.
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:

Bust or boom we the fans must get comfortable in the thrill ride, or pass out. I prefer the Dan Campbell type of HC but this is who we got.

Bold take.... Dan Campbell has already lost 6 games he had a 10 point lead in...and the guy never had to coach a rebuilding team.....
Just watch the game tonight and you will see a real genius coaching staff. New looks, new plays, adjustments to who you hav3 available. Kyle does not adjust. Same stale plays. With all the praise Kyle gets u expect him to be dynamic.
Share 49ersWebzone