There are 299 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Keep Banks if possible, Huf can walk.

Banks is more important than Hufanga. Who doesn't look the same anyway. Plus he was slow to begin with.
The chiefs have 4 phases

IV -Refs
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Its bizarre that some fans recognize great coaching jobs as chokes simply because they fall short of Super Bowl wins. As if the coaches are controlling the human beings on the field with a joystick.

The guy acquired incredible talent at the most important positions and wins multiple championships and some people still can't recognize what the difference was.

Yup Bill Walsh taught me that. These new teenager second place trophy fans are an absolute embarrassment to our decorated history. 2nd place is now something to be proud of and cherish. Walsh is turning in his grave now that losing is celebrated.
[ Edited by MucketyMuck on Oct 7, 2024 at 8:05 PM ]
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
Yup Bill Walsh taught me that. These new teenager second place trophy fans are an absolute embarrassment to our decorated history. 2nd place is now something to be proud of and cherish. Walsh is turning in his grave now that losing is celebrated.

What does that have to do with your view that a multiple time championship head coach needed all time great players at key positions to not be labeled a choker?

A coach is one piece of the puzzle. They don't dictate outcomes.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Oct 7, 2024 at 8:10 PM ]
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Just watch the game tonight and you will see a real genius coaching staff. New looks, new plays, adjustments to who you hav3 available. Kyle does not adjust. Same stale plays. With all the praise Kyle gets u expect him to be dynamic.

SAME PLAYS.... been saying this for 5 years already... the guy does not know how to game plan .. he continues to pick the plays he likes from the playbook, and calls it over and over under different formation..

here's a sample.. he often calls that FB SNEAK CHAIR ROUTE over and over... he calls that play at least every other weekend just to say he's using 44...

LAME..

What does that have to do with your view that a multiple time championship head coach needed all time great players at key positions to not be labeled a choker?

I said Reid was a choker until he met an even bigger choker. Hopefully one day Shanny can find his own Shanny and we win one.
I said Reid was a choker until he met an even bigger choker. Hopefully one day Shanny can find his own Shanny and we win one.

Were the Eagles in 22 also chokers?

The Chiefs beat them as well.
Its bizarre that some fans recognize great coaching jobs as chokes simply because they fall short of Super Bowl wins. As if the coaches are controlling the human beings on the field with a joystick.

The guy acquired incredible talent at the most important positions and wins multiple championships and some people still can't recognize what the difference was.

From those YouTube videos you watched a couple of times? You're in your late 30s lol, come on Jiks
  • Koldo
  • Veteran

Hard to find a challenger to the Choke Master.

Were the Eagles in 22 also chokers?

The Chiefs beat them as well.

Would you agree we choked away the 2019 SB? 10 point 4th quarter lead with the ball and about 9 minutes left and a 1st down? That's about as bad as it can get. I don't blame KS solely for that but that squad as a whole choked that game away.

That really does not make sense, considering Joe was injury prone and the primary reason the 49ers did not get to more Super Bowls in that era is health.

in 82 it was a strike season, but they went 3-6 do to health on the line Montana got sacked 20 times and thew 11 picks in 9 games... a win in the final game of season would have put them in the playoffs at 4-5

in 83 they went 1-1 in the playoffs after loosing Dwight Clark
in 85 they lost their only playoff game due to injury-- pick an injury offense and secondary were banged up.
in 86 they lost their only playoff game due to injury-- Montana was hurt and rushed back
In 87 they lost their only playoff game due to injury---Montana was hurt tried to play and sucked

Montana in that Giants-Giants-Vikes stretch had zero TDs, 4 interceptions.

I dont remember fans questioning Walsh but the dude was like 23-30 like far below 500 at the end of the 1983 season

He followed that up with that "mid period" of 84-87 with a 4-4 playoff record, just unable to get a team to the playoff healthy.

Fans today would loose their crap and want Walsh fired...for sure 100%... Hell they would want Montana fired....

If health had been on their side...who knows...could have been many...mannny superbowls....

The point remains the same though, you need great players, and you need them healthy to have lots of post season success.

It's could be that Kyle and Lynch just had a poor off-season and the cracks are starting to show.

For example, Not addressing the OL ( center & right tackle ) and then wasting away our first pick of the draft when the team clearly had much more Important needs.

This team still has enough talent to turn things around Imo, but another loss on Thursday night against the Seahawks and things could get ugly In s hurry.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Would you agree we choked away the 2019 SB? 10 point 4th quarter lead with the ball and about 9 minutes left and a 1st down? That's about as bad as it can get. I don't blame KS solely for that but that squad as a whole choked that game away.

I think we could have won that game, but it's hard for me to call it a choke at least on a team-wide basis.

A 10 point lead against an all time great offense is nothing in today's game. That's what we were up against in that game. I think our defense played out of their minds for the first 3+ quarters of the game before the dam broke. And really it was one significant play that really turned the tide. That wasn't a unique experience for teams facing that Chiefs team. They did it to every team they faced in the playoffs.

Offensively, our QB absolutely spit the bit in the 4th quarter and perhaps Shanahan could have called some things differently in hindsight. But the plays were there to be made and the players didn't get it done.

We went into that game as a slight underdog. We pounded two decent teams in the playoffs and people's expectations got carried away. What we saw that year overall was a phenomenal coaching job on offense and a talented defense that carried us through a weak NFC. I didn't expect to win that game. I thought it was a 50/50 coinflip at best going in and that's effectively how it played out.

You aren't a choker coach when you bring a team with Jimmy G to a 1 seed and the doorstep of winning the SB. Emmanuel Sanders was our best receiver. We had a band of nobodies in the backfield. The Chiefs had one of the greatest QB's of all time. Maybe the best receiving TE of all time. One of the most dynamic WRs to ever play the game. We had a dominant DL, a future star at LB, and a solid secondary lead by a resurgent, but passed his prime, Richard Sherman.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
That really does not make sense, considering Joe was injury prone and the primary reason the 49ers did not get to more Super Bowls in that era is health.

in 82 it was a strike season, but they went 3-6 do to health on the line Montana got sacked 20 times and thew 11 picks in 9 games... a win in the final game of season would have put them in the playoffs at 4-5

in 83 they went 1-1 in the playoffs after loosing Dwight Clark
in 85 they lost their only playoff game due to injury-- pick an injury offense and secondary were banged up.
in 86 they lost their only playoff game due to injury-- Montana was hurt and rushed back
In 87 they lost their only playoff game due to injury---Montana was hurt tried to play and sucked

Montana in that Giants-Giants-Vikes stretch had zero TDs, 4 interceptions.

I dont remember fans questioning Walsh but the dude was like 23-30 like far below 500 at the end of the 1983 season

He followed that up with that "mid period" of 84-87 with a 4-4 playoff record, just unable to get a team to the playoff healthy.

Fans today would loose their crap and want Walsh fired...for sure 100%... Hell they would want Montana fired....

If health had been on their side...who knows...could have been many...mannny superbowls....

The point remains the same though, you need great players, and you need them healthy to have lots of post season success.

I think we're in agreement here, lol.
Give me belicheat and 2 firsts for Kyle and we'd reload next year and make another run. Some dope team like the raiders or jags or browns would pony up at least that. Maybe 2 firsts and 2 seconds.

Belicheat would make purdy into Brady 2.0. they have very similar attributes.

Kyle is the most valuable trade asset the niners have. Bring Bill and get value and we'd be back to a SB and win it guaranteed.
[ Edited by BoldRedandGold on Oct 7, 2024 at 9:03 PM ]
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Give me belicheat and 2 firsts for Kyle and we'd reload next year and make another run. Some dope team like the raiders or jags or browns would pony up at least that. Maybe 2 firsts and 2 seconds.

Belicheat would make purdy into Brady 2.0. they have very similar attributes.

Kyle is the most valuable trade asset the niners have. Bring Bill and get value and we'd be back to a SB and win it guaranteed.

Belichick is 72. His drafts for the past decade plus were mostly garbage. He left a burning dumpster fire in New England. His coaching tree is largely barren. He's won nothing without Brady and hired Matt Patricia to be an offensive coordinator. He had his time to shine, and that time is gone.
Share 49ersWebzone