There are 285 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by captveg:
Looking at Jonnydel's red zone breakdown it's a number of things.

- Mason and Guerendo's inexperience rearing its head by not following their run blocking correctly
- Deebo not giving his best effort on routes when he's not the primary receiver.
- Kittle and Purdy each had a play where if both are sharper on the same play they score two TDs. They swapped failing each other.

It goes on like this for the five failed red zone drives. One or more guy executes poorly and the play fails.

Great breakdown jonnydel.

Wait the film actually shows poor player execution rather than just piss poor play calling?! This is my shocked face 😑
Just hang onto all these shanny endorsements if, heaven forbid, we don't turn this train wreck around. It's week five and we are still making boneheaded mistakes in every phase of the game. That's on the coach. We've had one of the easiest schedules in the league thus far and sit at 2-3. Our esteemed HC, as brilliant as he is the majority of the time, is resistant to change. If we keep piling mistakes on top of mistakes, it wont matter too awful much that it "should have worked".

Coach's priority is to put us in the best position to win. If that means dumbing down certain plays because we don't have the talent to pull them off, that's exactly what he should be doing. At a certain point we have to stop blaming players for making the exact mistakes they've been known to make over and over (looking at you offensive line, looking at you special teams)

if I can predict what he's going to try to do from the couch, so too can the other team. The idea of Kyle is beginning to outshine the reality of Kyle.

and if we start winning again, everything I just said will moot
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
Notice how it's just trashing fans not necessarily telling us what Shanny is doing great so far? It seems to me people are taking their frustrations out on some fans making legit complaints about poor coaching. Now some are definitely overboard, no doubt but some complaints are fully warranted. We have lost 2 games to garbage teams. Games we had no business losing.

He's not without fault - he really needs to help Sorensen figure out how to overcome the back end middle of the defense - but after seeing jonnydel's video on the red zone failures I'm seeing playcalls that should work if the effort and execution follows the design of the plays. So, it's not so much the playcalls, but Shanny needing to get the guys executing the playcalls better. I don't care how he does it, but that seems to me to be the bigger task at hand at the moment. For the young RBs it's partially their inexperience. For everyone else that's not a valid reason. For the WRs it's winning their routes - especially Deebo, who is the worst one when it comes to effort right now. Mason may have had the horrible fumble, but it appears to have been a Trent Williams mental error on his blocking assignment that flipped the play from a potential game winning TD to a jailbreak.

It's a ton of little things that vary from play to play, at least offensively rather than one predominant issue. Truly a game of inches.
We should be killing KS and JL for there gm'ing more than we are killing KS for his coaching.
Originally posted by lamontb:
We should be killing KS and JL for there gm'ing more than we are killing KS for his coaching.

I agree with this overall, but it's a lot more complicated than putting the blame on either of them. Kyle is the de facto GM for a reason.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

- Mason and Guerendo's inexperience rearing its head by not following their run blocking correctly
- Deebo not giving his best effort on routes when he's not the primary receiver.
- Kittle and Purdy each had a play where if both are sharper on the same play they score two TDs. They swapped failing each other.

It goes on like this for the five failed red zone drives. One or more guy executes poorly and the play fails.

Wait the film actually shows poor player execution rather than just piss poor play calling?! This is my shocked face 😑

So, players half-assing can't be blamed on the coach.

Good to know.
[ Edited by Koldo on Oct 8, 2024 at 1:45 PM ]
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
Coach's priority is to put us in the best position to win. If that means dumbing down certain plays because we don't have the talent to pull them off, that's exactly what he should be doing. At a certain point we have to stop blaming players for making the exact mistakes they've been known to make over and over (looking at you offensive line, looking at you special teams)

These aren't even really talent/ability failures, though. These are mental & effort errors by the vets, and inexperience & mental mistakes by the RBs. Talent & scheme aren't showing up as the issues for most of the failed plays, aside from WR separation skills. Even then some increased effort could overcome some of that in some instances. I'll give you special teams and the safety & linebackers as being talent poor, but the offense is not showing a talent deficit on film when plays fail. Film even shows, Mason fumble play aside when Trent missed his assignment, that the OL did far better run blocking than I initially thought. Even their pass blocking isn't as much of an issue if the ball comes out quicker, which would happen in those red zone trips more if the WRs win their matchups.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:

These aren't even really talent/ability failures, though. These are mental & effort errors by the vets, and inexperience & mental mistakes by the RBs. Talent & scheme aren't showing up as the issues for most of the failed plays, aside from WR separation skills. Even then some increased effort could overcome some of that in some instances. I'll give you special teams and the safety & linebackers as being talent poor, but the offense is not showing a talent deficit on film when plays fail. Film even shows, Mason fumble play aside when Trent missed his assignment, that the OL did far better run blocking than I initially thought. Even their pass blocking isn't as much of an issue if the ball comes out quicker, which would happen in those red zone trips more if the WRs win their matchups.

Yeah I agree with everything you're saying. My only addition would be that preparedness is on the coach as well. A team full of mental errors is a team poorly coached
Originally posted by Koldo:

Good to know.

Shanny obviously needs to solve that problem. We're unlikely to get any insight into how he plans to do that revealed publicly. Simply saying the film shows a talented offense making a variety of mental and effort errors. Deebo running some half assed routes aside, these are not typical lapses we've seen the last couple years from these guys. I don't blame the RBs quite as much because some of their mental mistakes are likely due to inexperience. That's where Shanny and Turner will have to teach them. Everyone else though are probably getting salty languaged film sessions.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Just watching that game I have as visibly cringing on that 3rd down when they dropped back to pass. I think it was Romo just baffled at that coaching decision. Like yeah the 4th and 23 wasn't a great decision but look at what some other coaches are doing before people complain.

Folks don't want to hear that.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
After the past 20 years of 49ers football, you'd think they would. People want to keep reaching back to the 80s. That era is never coming back again. That was a different time that involved a perfect confluence of events. It's like standing around and waiting to win the lottery a second time.

I'll take the coach that can get consistently get this team deeply into the playoffs over throwing darts at a dartboard blindfolded and hoping to get lucky somehow.

Dude there's a massive lack of perspective among our fan base.

of the 20 HCs SF has had only 7 have ever made it to the playoffs. Only 4 have been to a SB (I believe) and SF is regarded as a great franchise.

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by lamontb:

I agree with this overall, but it's a lot more complicated than putting the blame on either of them. Kyle is the de facto GM for a reason.

True and Adam Peters shares some of that blame as well
Shanny obviously needs to solve that problem. We're unlikely to get any insight into how he plans to do that revealed publicly. Simply saying the film shows a talented offense making a variety of mental and effort errors. Deebo running some half assed routes aside, these are not typical lapses we've seen the last couple years from these guys. I don't blame the RBs quite as much because some of their mental mistakes are likely due to inexperience. That's where Shanny and Turner will have to teach them. Everyone else though are probably getting salty languaged film sessions.

Deebo's effort when he isn't the focus on a particular play has been a consistent issue. It's just a matter of the good outweighing the bad.

It's hard to believe it isn't being pointed out* to him in film review when everyone else can see it. Just don't know what that looks like specifically and how far the team would go tolerating it.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Oct 8, 2024 at 1:57 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Deebo's effort when he isn't the focus on a particular play has been a consistent issue. It's just a matter of the good outweighing the bad.

It's hard to believe it isn't being pointed to him in film review when everyone else can see it. Just don't know what that looks like specifically and how far the team would go tolerating it.

It even likely cost Deebo a TD this past game.

Good to know.

Surly can't be the players, right? No accountability for the guys making millions and millions of dollars.

Typical deflection, first take is wrong as usual. Man if you just waited to see what the film showed or at the very least listen to some people that might know more than you (not saying that's me) regarding film & play-calling…you might learn something. We all know that's not what you're about though.

whatever you're wrong…again

Good to know.

Surly can't be the players, right? No accountability for the guys making millions and millions of dollars.

Typical deflection, first take is wrong as usual. Man if you just waited to see what the film showed or at the very least listen to some people that might know more than you (not saying that's me) regarding film & play-calling…you might learn something. We all know that's not what you're about though.

whatever you're wrong…again

I believe they created a position meant to, among other things, hold the players accountable. Job title of that position: coach
Share 49ersWebzone