Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Koldo:
Originally posted by captveg:
Looking at Jonnydel's red zone breakdown it's a number of things.

- Mason and Guerendo's inexperience rearing its head by not following their run blocking correctly
- Deebo not giving his best effort on routes when he's not the primary receiver.
- Kittle and Purdy each had a play where if both are sharper on the same play they score two TDs. They swapped failing each other.

It goes on like this for the five failed red zone drives. One or more guy executes poorly and the play fails.

Great breakdown jonnydel.

Wait the film actually shows poor player execution rather than just piss poor play calling?! This is my shocked face 😑

So, players half-assing can't be blamed on the coach.

Good to know.

Surly can't be the players, right? No accountability for the guys making millions and millions of dollars.

Typical deflection, first take is wrong as usual. Man if you just waited to see what the film showed or at the very least listen to some people that might know more than you (not saying that's me) regarding film & play-calling…you might learn something. We all know that's not what you're about though.

whatever you're wrong…again

Of course I blame the players too, but who is, for all intents and purposes, the head of this organization?

Players underperforming is also the HC's responsibility.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
I believe they created a position meant to, among other things, hold the players accountable. Job title of that position: coach

Using Deebo's effort as an example, what do you think an appropriate measure would be to hold him accountable?

It's an honest question given he's still a dynamic playmaker. You bench him short or long term at the cost of the team? Chew him out in film review, which may be happening on some level anyway?

Maybe you have more options in this specific case if Pearsall can be an immediate contributor, but there's a real balance to find in holding impact players 'accountable' for their warts.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I believe they created a position meant to, among other things, hold the players accountable. Job title of that position: coach

Using Deebo's effort as an example, what do you think an appropriate measure would be to hold him accountable?

It's an honest question given he's still a dynamic playmaker. You bench him short or long term at the cost of the team? Chew him out in film review, which may be happening on some level anyway?

Maybe you have more options in this specific case if Pearsall can be an immediate contributor, but there's a real balance to find in holding impact players 'accountable' for their warts.

I'm still going through the video. I'm sure there's more, but I've only seen one example of his low effort. On that specific play, he still accomplished his objective of pulling the defender to the sideline.

i do hear what you're saying though… of course the players share blame. A phrase I've always applied as a leader is that I can delegate authority, but I can't delegate responsibility. Whatever the solution, it's on the coach to figure it out
Deebo's effort when he isn't the focus on a particular play has been a consistent issue. It's just a matter of the good outweighing the bad.

yeah....that is the truth.....

When Deebo was a walking miss-match that effected the entire defense, you could get away with giving him "rest" plays if he needed them, because he was irreplaceable.

You accept the fact he can't go 100% every down, or even as often as you expect most NFL WRs to be able to....you live with that limitation because Deebos don't grow on trees.

If Deebo can't do what he use to do, you have to replace him with someone who can effect more downs, even if the overall effect is not as strong.

The truth is, in the last game JJ was banged up, Deebo is Deebo and Ronnie Bell is Ronnie Bell.

So lord knows how good BA is going to be down to down, but it appears he brought his A game against the cards...but still you roll out our WR, core and you might run 3 WRs but only one of them is really an option. Deebo, BA and Bell on the field at the same time, might be the same as having 1 WR on the field with the way Deebo and Bell can screw up or not even try.

The only really good news, is help is on the way....at least post bye week, the WRs should be in position to at least start rolling out what the next iteration of skill players for the 49ers might look like.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran

Sorry but no, Deebo is a shadow of himself.

I wouldn't mind if he's traded (not sure what's the dead money) before the trade deadline.

One of the challenges that old great coaches like Noll, Walsh, Parcells and Gibbs didn't have to deal with much is the power players now have due to the money in the game. So it's not just talent level, but the salary cap and overall finances. Benching Deebo isn't really an option unless Deebo did something truly egregious. Just look at Cleveland being held hostage by Watson right now for an extreme example. Russ Francis wasn't Montana, but Brent Jones telling the story of how Francis was cut by Walsh mid-1987 season because of his lack of effort in practice and complaints about it, including drawing a cartoon of Walsh as a joke, kinda reveals this as well. Francis was on two SB teams, and while he was unlikely to return for the 1988 team there's really no way a modern player in his situation gets dismissed so unceremoniously.

One of the challenges that old great coaches like Noll, Walsh, Parcells and Gibbs didn't have to deal with much is the power players now have due to the money in the game. So it's not just talent level, but the salary cap and overall finances. Benching Deebo isn't really an option unless Deebo did something truly egregious. Just look at Cleveland being held hostage by Watson right now for an extreme example. Russ Francis wasn't Montana, but Brent Jones telling the story of how Francis was cut by Walsh mid-1987 season because of his lack of effort in practice and complaints about it, including drawing a cartoon of Walsh as a joke, kinda reveals this as well. Francis was on two SB teams, and while he was unlikely to return for the 1988 team there's really no way a modern player in his situation gets dismissed so unceremoniously.

I don't think you have to call him out and bench him just plug other players into his spot during th game. Then if he moans pull the tape up ... If he's worthless it doesn't matter if he's getting 25 bucks or 25 million. You have to put the best players out that give you the best chance to win imo.

That's the difference between shanahans regime vs like bellicheks. Shanahan thinks he can win it his way and not even put his best players out there. Whereas Bill would take every advantage he could and then some...

We literally handicap ourselves with personnel decisions before the game even starts... Let alone doing all the other little things needed to win like time management and challenges...

It's enough that we won't ever win a SB that way. It's too hard to tie a hand behind your back then trip middle of the game on stupid little things and win 4 games in a row against good teams.

Even with what was widely regarded as the best roster multiple years in a row.

One of the challenges that old great coaches like Noll, Walsh, Parcells and Gibbs didn't have to deal with much is the power players now have due to the money in the game. So it's not just talent level, but the salary cap and overall finances.

That and almost unlimited time....Joe Montana told a story once that he was in the building going over film for like 80 hours one week.

Today...a player can only meet with his position coach for 2 hours a week per the CBA.....

Today's game is VERY different in how much time coaches can spend teaching players.....

Really can't compare it to what Walsh and the rest could do.
Originally posted by Dshearn:

One of the challenges that old great coaches like Noll, Walsh, Parcells and Gibbs didn't have to deal with much is the power players now have due to the money in the game. So it's not just talent level, but the salary cap and overall finances.

That and almost unlimited time....Joe Montana told a story once that he was in the building going over film for like 80 hours one week.

Today...a player can only meet with his position coach for 2 hours a week per the CBA.....

Today's game is VERY different in how much time coaches can spend teaching players.....

Really can't compare it to what Walsh and the rest could do.

2 hours per week with a position coach? Holy s**t that's weak
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
I don't think you have to call him out and bench him just plug other players into his spot during th game. Then if he moans pull the tape up ... If he's worthless it doesn't matter if he's getting 25 bucks or 25 million. You have to put the best players out that give you the best chance to win imo.

That's the difference between shanahans regime vs like bellicheks. Shanahan thinks he can win it his way and not even put his best players out there. Whereas Bill would take every advantage he could and then some...

We literally handicap ourselves with personnel decisions before the game even starts... Let alone doing all the other little things needed to win like time management and challenges...

It's enough that we won't ever win a SB that way. It's too hard to tie a hand behind your back then trip middle of the game on stupid little things and win 4 games in a row against good teams.

Even with what was widely regarded as the best roster multiple years in a row.

I would still argue we only had the best roster top to bottom last season, and possibly in '22. '22 was our best overall team in my opinion but our QB got blown up. We still may have lost to the Eagles anyway who were just as stacked as we were.

Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's either ANOTHER SUPER BOWL RING or EXIT DOOR for Shanny !!!

He lost that 3 solid times. Twice for us. He can't do it.

he CAN STAY, but as our OC... we MUST hire a REAL HEAD COACH. !!!

Dan Lanning
Chris Petersen
PJ Fleck

LETS GO !!!!!! Woooooooo !!!!

Lol so dumb. At least didn't repeat yourself

WACHA say LADY ??

What? You desperately need a CT scan

LADY, wacha say ??
bottom line... Shanny 0-2.. he 0-2 !!!

and super sad that both 49er team were better than KC.. and KC gave us 10+ point lead !!

So if he's 1-1 he's great? One game changes the whole narrative of a loser or elite status lol? In a football game with dozens of players and coaches involved?

So if SF wins a SB 6-3 and our defense just shuts down the team, but the offense only gets two FGs. Kyle is great, right? You wouldn't debate it all or saying he didn't do anything? If you say no, well sorry I don't believe you.

NON SENSE... the dude is 0-2 and he's been great to you seen the day he graduated from Texas as the 152nd all time reception leader.. there is nothing he needs to do for you to NOT call him out..

you can worship him all you want, you can say he's the BEST YOUNG MIND FOOTBALL all you want..

but he 0 and 2... he 0 and 2 !!!

NO player is bigger than the team.. DEEVAH must go.
I would still argue we only had the best roster top to bottom last season, and possibly in '22. '22 was our best overall team in my opinion but our QB got blown up. We still may have lost to the Eagles anyway who were just as stacked as we were.

The entire eagles game was lost when we didn't challenge the bomb to brown that changed the entire game. He never caught it and low and behold the coach didn't challenge a catch that changed the entire momentum of the game in one play.

Case and point for what I'm saying. Even if we had the best roster we were close enough in talent to them that the little mistakes from coaching cost the game.
[ Edited by BoldRedandGold on Oct 8, 2024 at 3:27 PM ]
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
The entire eagles game was lost when we didn't challenge the bomb to brown that changed the entire game. He never caught it and low and behold the coach didn't challenge a catch that changed the entire momentum of the game in one play.

Agree they should have challenged but it's pretty silly to think a game is over at 7-0.
Share 49ersWebzone