There are 268 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by mcwoot:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
The entire eagles game was lost when we didn't challenge the bomb to brown that changed the entire game. He never caught it and low and behold the coach didn't challenge a catch that changed the entire momentum of the game in one play.

Case and point for what I'm saying. Even if we had the best roster we were close enough in talent to them that the little mistakes from coaching cost the game.

The game was lost when Brock's elbow was destroyed.

lol this

brock doesn't get hit and its a deep pass to aiyuk and we probably win the game

This is a great example also. Yeah the play was there if our protection held up just a second more, but our protection sucked and it didn't. People still tout that as a great play call but it doesn't take into account what our players are and aren't good at. Against the cards we set up with a bunch of slow developing routed for deep shots, and the deep shots were often there, but out pass protection isn't good enough to buy that time and Purdy ended up running for his life (yes I concede a few times he bailed too early). If we had a great pass blocking line that would be one thing, but we don't so the plan failed. That's not on the players who are what they are, it's on the coach for setting them up to fail.

if purdy gets hit but doesn't get injured we still win the game
The entire eagles game was lost when we didn't challenge the bomb to brown that changed the entire game. He never caught it and low and behold the coach didn't challenge a catch that changed the entire momentum of the game in one play.

Case and point for what I'm saying. Even if we had the best roster we were close enough in talent to them that the little mistakes from coaching cost the game.

lol this

This is a great example also. Yeah the play was there if our protection held up just a second more, but our protection sucked and it didn't. People still tout that as a great play call but it doesn't take into account what our players are and aren't good at. Against the cards we set up with a bunch of slow developing routed for deep shots, and the deep shots were often there, but out pass protection isn't good enough to buy that time and Purdy ended up running for his life (yes I concede a few times he bailed too early). If we had a great pass blocking line that would be one thing, but we don't so the plan failed. That's not on the players who are what they are, it's on the coach for setting them up to fail.

Or if Shanny called more plays to slow down what we knew was going to be a ferocious pass rush he wouldn't have been hit
Or if Shanny called more plays to slow down what we knew was going to be a ferocious pass rush he wouldn't have been hit

He could have protected himself in multiple ways as well.

lol this

yes kyle needs to max protect on every play and just have aiyuk run around trying to get open by himself. all kyle's fault

lol this

yes kyle needs to max protect on every play and just have aiyuk run around trying to get open by himself. all kyle's fault

Dallas game and philly game it was clear at the time (and many people discussed in the chat) that they kept sending rushers and Kyle refused any plays to slow them down, Screens, traps, whatever. He just let them tee off.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

While I don't think firing Sorensen is a great idea at this point it would be great to bring him on as AHC/Defense, if we didn't already have that slot filled.

kyle is so reasoned and level headed, dude is a really good coach, i hope we get saleh back next season

While I don't think firing Sorensen is a great idea at this point it would be great to bring him on as AHC/Defense, if we didn't already have that slot filled.

Doesn't Staley already fill that roll?
Originally posted by lamontb:

Doesn't Staley already fill that roll?

Yeah that was my point

Originally posted by 5thSFG:
I believe they created a position meant to, among other things, hold the players accountable. Job title of that position: coach

And fans apparently can't hold players accountable? Meh never mind fans don't care about film. That's too much to digest…much easier to be angry and grab a pitch fork.

Why do you always jab at the people you're disagreeing with? I'm absolutely capable of critical thought. If we disagree on a topic, im just as likely to be objective and unbiased as you are.

Providing the same courtesies you require is only polite.
[ Edited by 5thSFG on Oct 8, 2024 at 5:45 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

To your edit, it doesn't matter how much talent you have on offense when you have to replace your highly efficient QB with a career 3rd string/practice squad player and eventually a running back. There was nothing coaching could do to win that game. Be serious.

I'm sorry but I have to smack this take to the ground. I was at that game.

The eagles had a historic sacking defense that year. Shanahan trusted our 3rd string TE to block one of their best pass rushers. In a hostile environment. And called a long developing play.

that's QB homicide. A stupid f**king play from an egotistical coach who always thinks his plans will win. Doesn't consider that a sack could even occur, even though he hasn't had a decent pass blocking right side of the line in 6 years. We have a small QB. Why put him at risk?

also the eagles were running on us at will. We didn't have a great chance even with Brock.

shanahan is flawed. People here still love him but I'm glad at least 50% of the zone is starting to see it. Won't ever win a ring with this chump.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
I'm sorry but I have to smack this take to the ground. I was at that game.

The eagles had a historic sacking defense that year. Shanahan trusted our 3rd string TE to block one of their best pass rushers. In a hostile environment. And called a long developing play.

that's QB homicide. A stupid f**king play from an egotistical coach who always thinks his plans will win. Doesn't consider that a sack could even occur, even though he hasn't had a decent pass blocking right side of the line in 6 years. We have a small QB. Why put him at risk?

also the eagles were running on us at will. We didn't have a great chance even with Brock.

shanahan is flawed. People here still love him but I'm glad at least 50% of the zone is starting to see it. Won't ever win a ring with this chump.

The bulk of this post has absolutely nothing to do with anything I was arguing. For example, I agree Shanahan is flawed, and I also plainly stated we may have lost to the Eagles with a healthy Brock anyway.

That said, I'm wondering what is the logical conclusion to your thinking about exposing Brock to risk in a championship level game against an elite pass rush. Never take a deep drop? Never attack downfield. Max protect every pass? Put zero responsibility on the players to block and/or protect themselves?

Did you think we couldn't, or shouldn't be aggressive against a team that was going to run 'at will' against us? Really doesn't even make sense.

QBs are going to take hits. Especially against elite defenses. Beyond a discussion of responsibility it is still bad luck to have a hit result in a serious injury like that.
Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
The whole league is using Kyles scheme. And they are using it to pass him up. My biggest fear is that Kyle won't learn his "Andy Reid" lesson until he's fired, then go to the next team and win the SB.

The only way Kyle wins a Super Bowl is if he, like Reid, finds himself a generational quarterback that plays the game OUTSIDE of the box that Kyle draws up for him. Reid had McNabb who was more than a serviceable quarterback in Philadelphia. But Reid couldn't get out of his own way, and with a QB limited to playing within the scopes of his offensive scheme, he couldn't win the big game. That is until he found Mahomes who plays unorthodox, using Reid's WCO scheme and incorporating his own mobility / prowess into play.

Shanahan failed with Matt Ryan. He failed with Jimmy. He failed with Brock. Those are all "systems" QBs that play with the scheme Shanahan has put forth for them. He can't win that way.

Fire him and let him go to another cellar dweller. Maybe he'll be smart enough to choose a good QB early instead of throwing a dart in round 7 at the last pick and landing on a prayer.

There's a fatal flaw in that logic: Shanny expressly avoids QB's that don't play within the his scheme inside the pocket. So what he needs is a generational pocket passing QB. Not sure they make them anymore.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
2 hours per week with a position coach? Holy s**t that's weak

One of the things I blame for the epidemic of subpar OL performance in the league. If guys want to get better they really have to go to these OL training centers and put in a ton of work in the offseason.

yeah if I remember the numbers right, it is a max of 6 hours a day, or 24 hours a week TOTAL with the team depending on what phase of the off-season you are in....but yeah only 2 hour per week of one on one...the rest is walktlhoughts, otas, weight training etc...

it is crazy.....but yeah back in the Day if Montana wanted to go 18 hours a day one on one with Bill Walsh he could....

I am sure the NFL is a better job for the players now, then it was then....but it sucks for the fans when your team can't get in synch.
Share 49ersWebzone