There are 231 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
If the Cohn rumor was true, it's the same exact thing as Harbaugh. Got to a sb and nfccg in 1.5 years with a qb, and have it all blown up that offseason. This year feels like 2014. Like something's off. Only thing left to do is fire Kyle and hire Kocurek as hc

This is gotta be sarcasm?
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I'm all for making changes and trying new things. As you said, there's a lot of the season left. Lets see how it unfolds then we can discuss what we think need to be done. I don't see firing at all though, that's illogical
to me.

Unless it's an epic meltdown and the team/ownership turn on Kyle, I see no real scenario of him being fired end of the year.

Every season we've had a startable level QB for any length of time, they've won a lot of games and done something in the playoffs.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
The glory years of Kyle's reign are over. The decline is starting. The question now is when to pull plug…. Definitely not this year and probably not next year. It's a question of when. Not if. No playoffs this year and likely a losing record will generate pressure on ownership to fix the team.

Based off what? A couple weeks of football lol? You must have said the same s**t last yr when they lost 3 in a row in October.

last I check they finally found their FQB, who's only scratched the surface of what he can be…unless you think he's gonna turn into a pumpkin?

Who the hell you gonna replace him with that's better? All this franchise did for years was hire and fire HCs….New is not always better, I had to listen to all of you whine about firing Harbs for yrs.

They're two bad plays away from being 4-1, but yeah the sky is falling Ya'll act like we're getting blown out of games or some s**t.

my god relax people, it's the beginning of October. The instant reaction stuff is draining.
If we end up with a losing record this year and follow it up with a poor start next year does your opinion change? At what point would you agree with a change in leadership? This year is spiraling out of control… it just looks and feels wrong. They are not digging out of it this time. I am asking you what is your threshold for a change. Two years of losing? 3 years?
[ Edited by Bringbackedjr on Oct 9, 2024 at 5:30 AM ]
If the Cohn rumor was true, it's the same exact thing as Harbaugh. Got to a sb and nfccg in 1.5 years with a qb, and have it all blown up that offseason. This year feels like 2014. Like something's off. Only thing left to do is fire Kyle and hire Kocurek as hc

This is gotta be sarcasm?

Obviously, but if Jed hadn't learned from that mistake Kyle woulda been gone years ago

Kyle and Brock are right where Harb and Kap were in 2014, and many people would celebrate the firing and Brock's downfall like they did to Harbaugh and Kap
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
If we end up with a losing record this year and follow it up with a poor start next year does your opinion change? At what point would you agree with a change in leadership? This year is spiraling out of control… it just looks and feels wrong. They are not digging out of it this time. I am asking you what is your threshold for a change. Two years of losing? 3 years?

There's so much context that goes with that. If Brock gets hurt and we have to play Allen all yr, does that mean Kyle needs to be fired? You really think this team is gonna just fold and get their ass kicked every week?

I'm assuming you said the same thing in 2021 when they were 2-4 this time or when they lost 3 straight this time last yr? You act like they're getting their ass kicked every week when in reality they're a couple plays away from being 4-1 right now.
Obviously, but if Jed hadn't learned from that mistake Kyle woulda been gone years ago

Kyle and Brock are right where Harb and Kap were in 2014, and many people would celebrate the firing and Brock's downfall like they did to Harbaugh and Kap

Jim was fired because he couldn't work with Jed or Trent. There was suppose to be a hierarchy and he didn't want that. He lost the power struggle. Jed's problem is he listened to Trent and gave him carte blanche. We all saw what that led too.

there will always be folks celebrating the downfall of players and coaching. They think different is always better, they forget that led to Kelly and Tomsula. I remember a good portion of people wanted Hue Jackson and Adam Gase at one point. Kyle is a damn good coach. Every week we're expected to win, that hasn't been a thing since the early Harbs years.

It's football man, coaching matters for sure…there are so many layers that go into winning a game each week. Folks don't want to get into that though for whatever reason. That's not hot take enough for SM
Jim was fired because he couldn't work with Jed or Trent. There was suppose to be a hierarchy and he didn't want that. He lost the power struggle. Jed's problem is he listened to Trent and gave him carte blanche. We all saw what that led too.

there will always be folks celebrating the downfall of players and coaching. They think different is always better, they forget that led to Kelly and Tomsula. I remember a good portion of people wanted Hue Jackson and Adam Gase at one point. Kyle is a damn good coach. Every week we're expected to win, that hasn't been a thing since the early Harbs years.

It's football man, coaching matters for sure…there are so many layers that go into winning a game each week. Folks don't want to get into that though for whatever reason. That's not hot take enough for SM

I just don't get the Harbaugh hate. Fake fans that celebrate the rug getting pulled out from under him, but get pissed when I point out the same thing could be done to Kyle. Fake fans
I just don't get the Harbaugh hate. Fake fans that celebrate the rug getting pulled out from under him, but get pissed when I point out the same thing could be done to Kyle. Fake fans

I don't think there was a "rug getting pulled out from under him" thing. There was all kinds of backlash going on for a little. Harbs telling Jed only grown men can go to the meetings, talks of trading him to the browns, him not accepting an extension. IMO the writing was on the wall for a little bit.

I will always appreciate Jim and how he got SF back to winning games. Outside of both guys being brash and somewhat controlling. I don't think they're very similar.

Kyle was born to be a NFL HC, while he has the last name he worked his way up under some good coaches to get where he is. Jim is more of a motivator and his best quality is finding good coaches to put around him (I'd say Kyle is pretty damn good there as well). I don't think Jim has been a coordinator at any level? Not saying they required but he does depend on his coaches a lot.

IMO Jim's personality is better suited for college football. Motivator, recruiter, gets a fresh batch of young men who are all about screaming "who's got it better than us" that's perfect for college.

as far as your fake fan thing…I don't really get that. Not sure if that applies to me or that's a general statement.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Oct 9, 2024 at 6:49 AM ]
https://www.instagram.com/memerunnergpt/reel/DA24nndxbOq/

I don't think there was a "rug getting pulled out from under him" thing. There was all kinds of backlash going on for a little. Harbs telling Jed only grown men can go to the meetings, talks of trading him to the browns, him not accepting an extension. IMO the writing was on the wall for a little bit.

I will always appreciate Jim and how he got SF back to winning games. Outside of both guys being brash and somewhat controlling. I don't think they're very similar.

Kyle was born to be a NFL HC, while he has the last name he worked his way up under some good coaches to get where he is. Jim is more of a motivator and his best quality is finding good coaches to put around him (I'd say Kyle is pretty damn good there as well). I don't think Jim has been a coordinator at any level? Not saying they required but he does depend on his coaches a lot.

IMO Jim's personality is better suited for college football. Motivator, recruiter, gets a fresh batch of young men who are all about screaming "who's got it better than us" that's perfect for college.

as far as your fake fan thing…I don't really get that. Not sure if that applies to me or that's a general statement.

Being a HC has nothing to do with being a coordinator unless you want to call plays yourself. Kyles so deep in his coordinator roll. He's always thinking about how he's going to move LBs around or coming up with plays that have an answer to every coverage, but there's more to his roll than that

I've never wanted him fired, but it would be nice if he took a course in the strategies behind clock management and situational football. There's parts of the game he doesn't obsess over nearly enough
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Oct 9, 2024 at 7:05 AM ]

It's going to take a lot more than one poor season after a SB appearance for a change at head coach. The Yorks love Kyle. Kyle has earned so much equity within the organization for making the organization relevant again and pulling Jed out of football hell, that it would probably take an ACTUAL mutual parting of ways; Kyle looking for a fresh start elsewhere, to end his tenure here.

Firing Harbaugh obviously worked out in the end, because it led us to John and Kyle, but that situation was a huge mistake that the York's will not make again. they got very lucky to land Lynch/Shanny, most organizations don't rebound like this. The last thing they want to do is restart the organization from ground zero. They are going to show much more patience than fans.
Originally posted by BP13:
It's going to take a lot more than one poor season after a SB appearance for a change at head coach. The Yorks love Kyle. Kyle has earned so much equity within the organization for making the organization relevant again and pulling Jed out of football hell, that it would probably take an ACTUAL mutual parting of ways; Kyle looking for a fresh start elsewhere, to end his tenure here.

Firing Harbaugh obviously worked out in the end, because it led us to John and Kyle, but that situation was a huge mistake that the York's will not make again. they got very lucky to land Lynch/Shanny, most organizations don't rebound like this. The last thing they want to do is restart the organization from ground zero. They are going to show much more patience than fans.

We could fire Kyle right now and find a good HC/GM a couple years down the road. There are fans that would say that makes it the right decision because it led to that regime, but I'm sure you wouldn't agree. Especially if they had no SBs after 7 years
Being a HC has nothing to do with being a coordinator unless you want to call plays yourself. Kyles so deep in his coordinator roll. He's always thinking about how he's going to move LBs around or coming up with plays that have an answer to every coverage, but there's more to his roll than that

I've never wanted him fired, but it would be nice if he took a course in the strategies behind clock management and situational football. There's parts of the game he doesn't obsess over nearly enough

I never said it totally mattered. I'm talking about resumes, basically Jim went from Brian Griese QB coach to HC. It worked for him clearly. I think if you're hiring someone in anything you want that resume though. My point is their situations, what they're good at and their personalities are different.

I mean people think Kyle is just an offensive play caller, yet he could probably call a defensive game better than most. Dude knows a f**k ton about defensive schemes….Also it's not just him by himself in a dark room making up plays, for years now he's had all kinds of offensive coaches around him helping game plan for the week. We got passing/rushing game coordinators. Assistant HCs. There's a ton of help there.

Are you talking about Kyle or Jim regarding clock management and situational football? I agree Kyle could be better there. Jim was pretty bad at that all the same.
Share 49ersWebzone