49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
And how many years does this new regime get to win it all? How long are they allowed to lose a couple games in a row before the mob starts up again?

folks want to take two steps back in hopes that it's 4 steps forward…but there's absolutely no chance they give that new regime yrs to build their team and go through growing pains….not after going to SBs and constant playoffs games.

Folks can't even name a legit candidate that would do better than Kyle. IMO the same people wanting him fired are the same fans that think firing their HC every couple yrs will magically change it all. Like we have it bad here here and aren't in contention for division titles, playoff games, NFCC games and SB games currently

I don't want him fired, I'm just rightfully frustrated as all fans should be. I know we can't let a top 3 offensive mind in the game out of the building, but sometimes I wish we had him in a coordinator or quality control role with someone else handling hc duties. Especially after 7 years with no change

This is where I'm at. There's no other replacement and I really don't want a replacement as Kyle is an offensive genius but his problem, and it's a massive problem is his inability to not completely fall apart at the the most crucial times. He's a choker... That is his main problem.

A true genius does not have his team ranked 30th for red zone efficiency. Not with all the weapons we have.

I'm pretty sure the Chiefs are right near us in that regard. I do agree that not having CMC shouldn't be such a major switch up for us. We have to score TDs.

Yup we are slightly better than the chiefs but they are undefeated….

Do you think their defense has anything to do with that? They've given up 17 points per game. Had our defense done the same this team would be 4-0-1 right now.

That's the whole thing. Kyle has had to change his DC 3 times now. Only 1 of those times was due to firing the guy he had. Andy has had Spags with him since 2019. He's got 0 SB wins without the man.

That goes a LONG way to helping win games.

Agreed. Very valid point. Our defense is in shambles but Kyle has built a team that needs a minimum of 30 points to win.. and they can't comeback from a deficit in the 4th…
Sorry NY, another non answer. The NFL has clear success metrics. Winning more games than you lose is one of them. Making the post season is another. Then we have winning your division and your conference. The ultimate goal is the superbowl. If you lose more than you win the layers you refer to become pointless. This is a business. So once again, what would it take for you to support change? 2 years of a losing record? 3? 4?

I mean he's won more games than he's lost. He's gone to the playoffs a bunch. Won his division. Gone to NFCC. Gone to SBs. Those are favorable metrics in the grand scheme of the NFL and what other coaches have been doing.

matt lafleur hasn't even been to a SB and that's with Aaron Rogers. Should they be talking about firing him in GB? Sean McDermott should be fired by now according to you. Tomlin hasn't done anything meaningful in 14 yrs (lost a SB). How long does he get? What because he won a SB with someone's else team two yrs into his tenure, he's good to go forever? If Kyle won a SB for SF in 2008 and nothing since then ya'll would be screaming for him to be fired 17 yrs later….And don't b******t me as say no you wouldn't.

If you actually read what I wrote you would understand where I'm coming from. It's not a black and white SB of your fired thing. That's my stance. There's layers and context to what would have to happen.

again no one can name me one legit person to replace him with that does better than what we've done overall.
Spags is a very underrated DC. Aside from Chris Jones the Chiefs defense is a revolving door of players. They get rid of their best players bc they don't/cant pay them and yet Spags has a top tier defense every year. Why can't teams poach him from the Chiefs instead of the 49ers DC?
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Originally posted by MucketyMuck:
And how many years does this new regime get to win it all? How long are they allowed to lose a couple games in a row before the mob starts up again?

folks want to take two steps back in hopes that it's 4 steps forward…but there's absolutely no chance they give that new regime yrs to build their team and go through growing pains….not after going to SBs and constant playoffs games.

Folks can't even name a legit candidate that would do better than Kyle. IMO the same people wanting him fired are the same fans that think firing their HC every couple yrs will magically change it all. Like we have it bad here here and aren't in contention for division titles, playoff games, NFCC games and SB games currently

I don't want him fired, I'm just rightfully frustrated as all fans should be. I know we can't let a top 3 offensive mind in the game out of the building, but sometimes I wish we had him in a coordinator or quality control role with someone else handling hc duties. Especially after 7 years with no change

This is where I'm at. There's no other replacement and I really don't want a replacement as Kyle is an offensive genius but his problem, and it's a massive problem is his inability to not completely fall apart at the the most crucial times. He's a choker... That is his main problem.

A true genius does not have his team ranked 30th for red zone efficiency. Not with all the weapons we have.

I'm pretty sure the Chiefs are right near us in that regard. I do agree that not having CMC shouldn't be such a major switch up for us. We have to score TDs.

KC is currently 30th and SF is 29th….Reid is a genius though! FWIW SF had been top 10 in RZ success rate multiple yrs.

He's won 3 super bowls in the last 5 years lol. Get outta here with that s**t.

We're talking about RZ success rate in 2024….not about past SB wins. Why isn't he scheming up all this amazing plays to score points right now? He's got the best QB in NFL history there.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Spags is a very underrated DC. Aside from Chris Jones the Chiefs defense is a revolving door of players. They get rid of their best players bc they don't/cant pay them and yet Spags has a top tier defense every year. Why can't teams poach him from the Chiefs instead of the 49ers DC?

Biggest factor the abysmal job he did as a HC.

Because he's happy where he is and makes a f**k ton of cash. He was a flop as a HC and is a lifer as a coordinator at this pt in his career.

weird we gotta defend Kyle in here from our own "fan base" while the rest of the league currently has a hard on for anything Shanahan.
Sorry NY, another non answer. The NFL has clear success metrics. Winning more games than you lose is one of them. Making the post season is another. Then we have winning your division and your conference. The ultimate goal is the superbowl. If you lose more than you win the layers you refer to become pointless. This is a business. So once again, what would it take for you to support change? 2 years of a losing record? 3? 4?

I mean he's won more games than he's lost. He's gone to the playoffs a bunch. Won his division. Gone to NFCC. Gone to SBs. Those are favorable metrics in the grand scheme of the NFL and what other coaches have been doing.

matt lafleur hasn't even been to a SB and that's with Aaron Rogers. Should they be talking about firing him in GB? Sean McDermott should be fired by now according to you. Tomlin hasn't done anything meaningful in 14 yrs (lost a SB). How long does he get? What because he won a SB with someone's else team two yrs into his tenure, he's good to go forever? If Kyle won a SB for SF in 2008 and nothing since then ya'll would be screaming for him to be fired 17 yrs later….And don't b******t me as say no you wouldn't.

If you actually read what I wrote you would understand where I'm coming from. It's not a black and white SB of your fired thing. That's my stance. There's layers and context to what would have to happen.

again no one can name me one legit person to replace him with that does better than what we've done overall.
Yet another non answer.
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Where did I say I expected a plug & play upgrade to Shannahan?

I've never even said he should be replaced but what I find to be the funniest part is that people think the only alternative to Shannahan is the end of days.

Head coach hiring from 2017 to 2022, remaining and fired.

2017 cycle: Shanahan McDermott and McVay

HC's since fired: Vance Joseph, Doug Marrone, Anthony Lynn.

2018 cycle: None

HCs fired since: Pat Shurmur, Mike Vrabel, Steve Wilks, Matt Patricia, Frank Reich, John Gruden, Matt Nagy.

2019 cycle: Zac Taylor, Matt LaFleur

HCs fired since: Brian Flores, Kliff Kingsbury, Vic Fangio, Adam Gase, Freddie Kitchens.

Retired: Bruce Arians

2020 cycle: Kevin Stefanksi, Mike McCarthy

HCs fired since: Matt Rhule, Joe Judge, Ron Rivera

2021 cycle: Dan Campbell, Nick Sirianni

HCs fired since: Robert Saleh, Brandon Staley, Urban Meyer, Arthur Smith, Dave Culley

2022 cycle: Kevin O'Connell, Matt Eberflus, Mike McDaniel, Doug Pederson, Brian Daboll, Dennis Allen.

HCs fired since: Josh McDaniels, Nathaniel Hackett, Lovie Smith,

Looking at all those hiring/firings, I dont really like the odds of this team being successful in finding another coach that consistently gets info the playoffs year by year. Odds are good that they whiff and when that happens, well, remember, you can't fire the owner.
Jim wasn't great, but Kyle is starting to make his name as the biggest choker of all time because of his lack of attention to detail. This guy said he didn't know the rules for playoff ot man, it's pretty bad. I know he's an x and o god, but we need him to be a hc. It's his defense, his special teams, and his offense. No more of this I'm just the offensive coordinator I'm doing my job crap

I said this yesterday, the choker label is a made up narrative. A HC in football has a dozen coaches and 53 players, who he needs to execute everything perfectly AND have some luck for it to work out.

Acting like winning one game doesn't make you a "choker" is so silly. So if he goes to 1-1 he's not a choker? If a HC won a SB over a decade ago BUT hasn't done it again, is he a choker again?

Bills kicker makes that FG Levy isn't a choker? I mean when Doug Peterson gets fired this yr, should we replace Kyle with him…because he's not a choker? Tomlin won a SB his second yr as a HC with someone's team (that already won a SB) that was like 15 yrs ago. When does he become a choker again?

Great post. At the end of the day, if you want to objectively assign fault, you have to look at the whole picture.

It's not wrong to hold Kyle accountable for things he can conceivably control, or be reasonably critiqued for. But it IS wrong to hold to him to an impossible standard, and I've seen several people do that.

Some people seriously judge Kyle as if he has God powers, able to physically control all players on the field simultaneously.

I am pretty dang sure Kyle tells Brock in certain situations not to take a sack, and or protect the ball. We most certainly practice ball security. If guys don't do what they've been coached to do (see Spencer Burford in the Super Bowl), it then falls on the player. Period. At most, you can blame a position coach.

If there's any coach who deserves to be criticized right now, it's our special teams coordinator. Our coverage unit has been horrific, and it wound up directly leading to an injury to a guy who was near top of the league in kicking this year. I think if that doesn't improve, Kyle needs to fire him.

Yet another non answer.

I gave you my answer. You just didn't like it. Also still waiting on a legit replacement that makes this team better than what Kyle has done. Crickets there.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Assume Brock stays upright. Also if he plays Allen over dobbs he should fired on the spot for stupidity but that's a different discussion. I just want to know your threshold. What will it take? For me it's two years of underperforming. This year and next. What is it for you? Qualify your answer anyway you want.

I don't know what it will take because I don't live in absolutes.

what's underperforming? Not winning a SB?
You wouldn't consider not winning a SB with the best roster in football underperforming?

No cause its tough to win a Super Bowl, not to mention consistently making the playoffs is tough as it is. But you act like Shanahan is suppose to win the Super Bowl every year with this roster.

Once you get to the SB it comes down to more than just having the best roster. Bad bounces like that muffed punt can turn a game around. Facing a great QB (not just a good one) is another factor. If it was just about having the best roster NE wouldn't have won all those SBs because they didn't have a great roster. Especially o offense. It was Brady, Belichick and a solid defense combined with good breaks.

Well said!!!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Where did I say I expected a plug & play upgrade to Shannahan?

I've never even said he should be replaced but what I find to be the funniest part is that people think the only alternative to Shannahan is the end of days.

Head coach hiring from 2017 to 2022.

2017 cycle: Shanahan McDermott and McVay

HC's since fired: Vance Joseph, Doug Marrone, Anthony Lynn.

2018 cycle: None

HCs fired since: Pat Shurmur, Mike Vrabel, Steve Wilks, Matt Patricia, Frank Reich, John Gruden, Matt Nagy.

2019 cycle: Zac Taylor, Matt LaFleur

HCs fired since: Brian Flores, Kliff Kingsbury, Vic Fangio, Adam Gase, Freddie Kitchens.

Retired: Bruce Arians

2020 cycle: Kevin Stefanksi, Mike McCarthy

HCs fired since: Matt Rhule, Joe Judge, Ron Rivera

2021 cycle: Dan Campbell, Nick Sirianni

HCs fired since: Robert Saleh, Brandon Staley, Urban Meyer, Arthur Smith, Dave Culley

2022 cycle: Kevin O'Connell, Matt Eberflus, Mike McDaniel, Doug Pederson, Brian Daboll, Dennis Allen.

HCs fired since: Josh McDaniels, Nathaniel Hackett, Lovie Smith,

Looking at all those hiring/firings, I dont really like the odds of this team being successful in finding another coach that consistently gets info the playoffs year by year. Odds are good that they whiff and when that happens, well, remember, you can't fire the owner.
Great post.

Yet another non answer.

That's RIGHT @ NY.. we wont find anyone out there doing a better job CHOCKING an NFCCG and two Super Bowls while we're up at least by 10 points on all 3 games late in the 4th QTR..

NO ONE !!!
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Jim wasn't great, but Kyle is starting to make his name as the biggest choker of all time because of his lack of attention to detail. This guy said he didn't know the rules for playoff ot man, it's pretty bad. I know he's an x and o god, but we need him to be a hc. It's his defense, his special teams, and his offense. No more of this I'm just the offensive coordinator I'm doing my job crap

I said this yesterday, the choker label is a made up narrative. A HC in football has a dozen coaches and 53 players, who he needs to execute everything perfectly AND have some luck for it to work out.

Acting like winning one game doesn't make you a "choker" is so silly. So if he goes to 1-1 he's not a choker? If a HC won a SB over a decade ago BUT hasn't done it again, is he a choker again?

Bills kicker makes that FG Levy isn't a choker? I mean when Doug Peterson gets fired this yr, should we replace Kyle with him…because he's not a choker? Tomlin won a SB his second yr as a HC with someone's team (that already won a SB) that was like 15 yrs ago. When does he become a choker again?

Great post. At the end of the day, if you want to objectively assign fault, you have to look at the whole picture.

It's not wrong to hold Kyle accountable for things he can conceivably control, or be reasonably critiqued for. But it IS wrong to hold to him to an impossible standard, and I've seen several people do that.

Some people seriously judge Kyle as if he has God powers, able to physically control all players on the field simultaneously.

I am pretty dang sure Kyle tells Brock in certain situations not to take a sack, and or protect the ball. We most certainly practice ball security. If guys don't do what they've been coached to do (see Spencer Burford in the Super Bowl), it then falls on the player. Period. At most, you can blame a position coach.

If there's any coach who deserves to be criticized right now, it's our special teams coordinator. Our coverage unit has been horrific, and it wound up directly leading to an injury to a guy who was near top of the league in kicking this year. I think if that doesn't improve, Kyle needs to fire him.

Agreed! No one is saying Kyle can't be criticized or shoulder any of the blame. Saying wins and losses are only for one person…who doesn't even touch the football is absurd.

The Chiefs have It made for sure.

Reid + Spags + Mahomes. It's hard to top that combo Tbh
Share 49ersWebzone